Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Michael Goff: do you own any Apple products? If not, why are you trollling/commenting here?

I actually moved back to an iPhone and if I had the money I'd be getting an iPad Pro to replace my laptop. I just haven't gotten around to changing my sig.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I've been waiting for an apple tablet with OS X or some fusion of OS X and iOS since the beginning. I was really hoping to get full or some OS X support on the iPad pro but I was sadly mistaken.

New iPad Pro with OS X would be absolutely magical.
To answer your title, it's your will and money that iPad is missing.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
A pricetag that isn't above a Surface Pro with a full OS and i5. If you include the pen and keyboard. 32GB is too small for productivity and 128GB with keyboard and pen is almost a UK £900. No...

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
I'm surprised, yet not surprised at all (it *is* Apple) that there's not at least a USB-C port. The standard paltry 32GB of storage (and likely a paltry 2GB RAM) is also surprising yet not surprising.

It's an exciting product, but with some hamstrung features, in typical Apple form. I can deal with it only running iOS, for the most part. But the intentional crippling or cheaping out on hardware is getting annoying. At this point Apple doesn't have much competition, so there's not much impetus for them to really innovate or "try" (i.e. why not include 64GB of storage, or really overkill it with 4GB RAM? Because they don't have to. Until something they release causes their stock to dip, this will be a continued trend.)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Keep it iOS. Assess what is messy, inconvenient, clunky in iOS compared to OSX, then resolve those. Then we would have a tablet where the OS is less significant as it doesn't impede productivity

Reactions: Billy95Tech

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I strongly disagree with OP. IMO, Apple is doing things right by clearly stating that a tablet is not a laptop. They are different devices that are interacted with differently and thus, the OS needs to cater to these differences. The standard desktop OS UI paradigm does not work with tablets. Trying to combine the both worlds ultimately leads to a mediocre product.

The great thing about the iPad Pro is that it is not attempting to be a laptop — it takes the positive features of a tablet and pushes them to extreme. I am sure that this will be a very useful content creation device that can replace traditional computers in many specific areas. Hell, it would be great for the data collection we do in the field. But it of course will not be as versatile as a laptop (nor does it have to).

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I think it's a cool device, but it's "just" a larger iPad. I would have liked more hybrid-ness, ideally something that runs OSX. Definitely more connectivity (at least an USB-C port) and a file system.

Does it really only have 2 GB RAM? If that's the case, I may wait for the inevitable next model that is likely to double that.

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
It's really incredible that we have to spend more then 1000 Dollars to have the LTE. More incredible is not have in a PRO device an USB port.

Reactions: Nausicaa

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been waiting for an apple tablet with OS X or some fusion of OS X and iOS since the beginning. I was really hoping to get full or some OS X support on the iPad pro but I was sadly mistaken.

New iPad Pro with OS X would be absolutely magical.
As mentioned previously the Surface Pro3, it runs a desktop OS, has the stylus, but it also has the ability to use a docking station/port replicator which I use all the time. It really extends the power and functionality of the SP3. I don't see apple doing this at all, both OS X and a docking station because that would eat into their laptop sales.

Has anyone tried to do a Surface hackintosh yet?
Yes, others have loaded OS X (not me) onto a Surface Pro.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The iPad Pro is missing a proper folder/file system that would allow me to download large numbers of files for use in the field.

It is also missing a SD card reader and USB port! (typical Apple)

Looks like the Surface Pro 4, later this year, might have to be the choice.

sartois

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
The iPad Pro is missing a proper folder/file system that would allow me to download large numbers of files for use in the field.

It is also missing a SD card reader and USB port! (typical Apple)

Looks like the Surface Pro 4, later this year, might have to be the choice.

The Surface Pro is designed so that you can consolidate a laptop and a tablet, and just use one device instead of 2. Microsoft do not sell traditional laptops like Apple, so making a device like this will not hit their bottom line whereas it would hit Apple if people no longer needed a laptop and an iPad. Apple don't want you to consolidate as their business model requires individual users to have multiple devices.

I have a MBPr and an iPad and if MS produce a Surface Pro 4 with Skylake processor and 16GB RAM I will be selling the MB and the iPad and swapping it for that. MS have spent years now working on this and what I have seen they have nailed it with Windows 10 with the seamless transition between desktop OS and tablet OS depending on whether it is docked or not. Also the ability to hook up to a large external monitor is essential for me. OSX would need a rewrite to make it touch screen friendly, and IOS will never be a full OS. The only reason I have 2 devices now is that I need one of them to be a proper computer with real power for my work, something that the iPad pro is definitely not. The Surface Pro 3 was not powerful enough last year, but if they give me an option for 16GB of RAM, then it will be.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
The samsung Note Pro 12.2 is FAR superior to this Ipad Pro, and less money. It's pretty fantastic.
My dad has the Note Pro. I have the 1st gen Note 10.1. The Pro has some nice hardware, great screen. Wacom digitiser. The main reason to get it. But the included pen is dinky and barely usable, you have to shell out for a Wacom or similar quality one. But then you turn it on...
Touchwiz injects Samsung's stylus support, which isn't native to Android, same with the split screen on the Pro. It is a clunky experience which is only supported by a few mostly Samsung apps. The split screen is better than nothing, but it looks Beta.
Worse though is the severe lack of Tablet apps on Android, there is a bevvy of Phablet apps with expandable layout which just look bad; they look bad on a large Phablet, far worse on a Tablet. The idea of one-app-fits-all just doesn't work well. And the apps designed for tablet which I've used tend to be less than stellar.
My interest was in drawing and painting apps, since the iPad had no stylus support. While there was some interesting developments, like Sketchbook and Corel, they aren't great, mostly awful or laggy, and nowhere near Procreate quality. I don't know about notetaking apps, not my interest, for that you would certainly need a 3rd party pen.
Productivity tablet apps worthy of the Pro moniker? Yeah, right. If Microsoft releases Office for Android Tablets (not just generic Phablet), then it might become interesting. For drawing and painting, very disappointing. I haven't touched my Note 10.1 in a long time, my wife has used it to play games when her iPad mini runs flat from constant use, but she doesn't like it. I stick to my iPad 4 which gets similar heavy use. It is night and day.
I would love to give the iPad Pro and Surface 3 a good run with its various graphics and painting apps, neither are in my budget. I have tried the Wacom Companion running Windows, nice machine and hardware, but it was running Windows 7. Yes you can run Photoshop, but Photoshop is not optimised for touch displays. Few Windows apps work well on a touch device, you have to poke around with the stylus or resort to a mouse. Very sub-optimal. For tablets, they really need to totally rethink their apps and rebuild from the ground up to be Touch First, which is exactly what iOS apps are about. Don't know how you'd do that with Photoshop, maybe break it down into smaller apps, which is probably for the best since it has become so bloated. Microsoft is starting to do touch-first apps with Office, and now their new browser; IE sucked badly on Windows 8. Windows 8 was a very shaky start, a botched implementation that finally got rid of Ballmer. We shall see how they go from here on in with renewed leadership.
I see a lot of potential for the iPad Pro, which I don't for any Android tablet, but proof is in the pudding and the app support. If Apple hadn't pulled the plug on Aperture, I could see me editing photos on that thing, it would be perfect. But I guess they made a deal with Adobe; They get the Pro graphics market and stays on iPad, Apple sticks to the Consumer.

Reactions: RickTaylor

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
It's really incredible that we have to spend more then 1000 Dollars to have the LTE. More incredible is not have in a PRO device an USB port.

These are actually my biggest pet peeves - well the LTE thing and storage. Base model should be 64GB, scaling to 128 and 256GB. LTE should be an option for all models with Apple's standard $130 premium. As it stands the $1000 model is the only attractive option, and Apple knows this.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The Surface Pro is designed so that you can consolidate a laptop and a tablet, and just use one device instead of 2. Microsoft do not sell traditional laptops like Apple, so making a device like this will not hit their bottom line whereas it would hit Apple if people no longer needed a laptop and an iPad. Apple don't want you to consolidate as their business model requires individual users to have multiple devices.

I have a MBPr and an iPad and if MS produce a Surface Pro 4 with Skylake processor and 16GB RAM I will be selling the MB and the iPad and swapping it for that. MS have spent years now working on this and what I have seen they have nailed it with Windows 10 with the seamless transition between desktop OS and tablet OS depending on whether it is docked or not. Also the ability to hook up to a large external monitor is essential for me. OSX would need a rewrite to make it touch screen friendly, and IOS will never be a full OS. The only reason I have 2 devices now is that I need one of them to be a proper computer with real power for my work, something that the iPad pro is definitely not. The Surface Pro 3 was not powerful enough last year, but if they give me an option for 16GB of RAM, then it will be.

Yep I bought and tried the Surface Pro 3 and it was very close to suiting my needs but returned it knowing the SP4 is just around the corner.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
#4. Apple will never allow it to Run Max OSX NEVER it will kill their MacBook Sales. And cost them Billions in lost sales

Agreed, but they may decide for it to run Mac OS X. ;)

Ever thought they may end up doing away with the standard Macbook and just make the iPad Pro a replacement of it that runs OS X and iOS? There's a reason you should never run a large corporation. You're too close-minded.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I find it amusing that so many people play the 'Steve wouldn't have card' but then I see complaints about iOS not having a user accessible file system and think who made that decision? Why of course it was Steve Jobs. I definitely think there's more Apple can do with iOS on iPad and I think they will. Let's not forget it's Tim Cook's Apple that's bringing us things like extensions, split screen multitasking, iCloud Drive app, proper pen support, better keyboard support etc. Maybe this stuff would have happened under Steve too but I get the sense Tim, Craig and Jony are more open to trying new things.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
The problem with the iOS file system is: what a freakin' mess. Have any of you actually looked at it? I mean, with something like that Mac app iPad File Browser? The way they have it set up is, um, a mess. Not like \Windows\ was, with its enormous directory stacked to the gills with .dll's – in fact, for what it needs to do, iOS files and directories are organized well enough, but compared to the way the Mac is set up, if you are looking at all the files on an iPad, you begin to understand why Apple does not want users looking at the underbelly. It is just not pretty.

The only sensible solution is for Apple to produce a Finder that is even more constrained than the current Mac Finder. As much as I want an iPad Finder, the thought that Apple would release a version that is appropriately hog-tied for how iOS is set up is troubling. Mac Finder is low-end-user tight, but at least one can work past that – iOS Finder would be escape-proof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.