Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I am currently using a 27 inch 2020 iMac with a 1GB SSD, upgraded to 32 GB RAM and 8GB graphics (we also have a late 2015 iMac). Both operate fine and I don't really need to replace anything for functional reasons. However, I work from home most of the time and have to use a Windows laptop. I do not have room for an external monitor in addition to the iMac, so I have been considering getting either a Mac Mini with an external monitor or a Macbook Pro. I would give the 2020 iMac to my wife and move the 2016 along.

My use is primarily typical day-to-day stuff plus audio recording with Logic (nothing too wild), some basic video with iMovie, etc. (again fairly standard stuff) and some photo editing (Lightroom etc. - although I haven't been doing this much lately).

What would be a good replacement for the iMac? Is there any (simple) way to use the iMac as an external monitor that I haven't considered rather than replacing it?

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
I've looked into using iMacs as monitors, and regrettably, there seems to be no good way to do this. The Mac Mini and Mac studios are now the more practical solutions, as the latest iMacs are looking like afterthoughts. Don't go backwards on memory, get 32 gig minimum. (I chose a base Studio M1 max for video production and AI art, and hope to keep it for at least 5 years.)

As for the monitor, I never owned a retina display, so I'm fine with 100 dpi. I've read that monitors in the neighborhood of 150 dpi were a problem, but 200 dpi works well, so I calculated how big a 4k TV needed to be to be 100 dpi. The result was 42 inches. I bought a high quality Sony one for about $500, and am quite happy with it. I don't think anyone makes an 8k 42" monitor yet. If you find one, you'll be able to use retina display.

balticgreen

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2004
Maryland
I replaced mine with a Mac Studio (the Max upgraded to 1GB SSD) and Studio Display near the end of last year. I considered a Mini but by the time you get the Pro chip and upgrade the RAM and SSD, you're pushing into the realm of Studio pricing with a lesser chip. The Mini makes more sense if the base chip meets your needs.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I am currently using a 27 inch 2020 iMac with a 1GB SSD, upgraded to 32 GB RAM and 8GB graphics (we also have a late 2015 iMac). Both operate fine and I don't really need to replace anything for functional reasons. However, I work from home most of the time and have to use a Windows laptop. I do not have room for an external monitor in addition to the iMac, so I have been considering getting either a Mac Mini with an external monitor or a Macbook Pro. I would give the 2020 iMac to my wife and move the 2016 along.

My use is primarily typical day-to-day stuff plus audio recording with Logic (nothing too wild), some basic video with iMovie, etc. (again fairly standard stuff) and some photo editing (Lightroom etc. - although I haven't been doing this much lately).

What would be a good replacement for the iMac? Is there any (simple) way to use the iMac as an external monitor that I haven't considered rather than replacing it?
I am also of the same mind as I have a pair of 2017 27" iMacs at 2 different seasonal locations. Not replacing until security updates stop but am planning for the future. My plan is to go with a Mini or Studio, which I can easily bring back & forth & possibly convert the 2 iMacs to use as monitors. Notwithstanding Algr's comments, I have seen a number of successful uses on-line. Obviously, I haven't done any of this yet, so ymmv, but found these websites with the options.

You could try the 2016 to use as a monitor, hook it up to the mini and have a great monitor at little cost. Additionally, you could step back to 16-24GB memory, which is the maximum on a Mini, unless you go to the M2Pro or Studio. I have 24GB on my iMacs which is plenty for photo processing. Have only done a little video, but it was fine for what I needed. From what I read, it seems the Apple silicon makes better use of memory than our Intel models did.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your choice

Reactions: leifp and jazzer15

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks all for the comments. I guess what I was thinking with respect to using the iMac as a monitor is that the only real reason to consider replacing the iMac now is that I need a monitor to hook up to the Dell Windows laptop I use for work and I unfortunately only have the room for one monitor (or iMac) on my desk. I figured I could buy a monitor and switch between the work laptop and the mini/studio or Macbook.

The mini only gives me pause because of the inability to add memory. Despite currently having 32GB, I'm sure I could do just fine with less for what I am doing, but I hate being locked in just in case. Plus I tend to keep my computers for a long time, eventually passing it on to my wife whose use is very basic. After Apple no longer supports the OS, we move that along and I buy a new one. It does seem that once you add some extras in, the mini gets very close to the cost of a studio.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
The mini only gives me pause because of the inability to add memory. Despite currently having 32GB, I'm sure I could do just fine with less for what I am doing, but I hate being locked in just in case. Plus I tend to keep my computers for a long time, eventually passing it on to my wife whose use is very basic. After Apple no longer supports the OS, we move that along and I buy a new one. It does seem that once you add some extras in, the mini gets very close to the cost of a studio.
FYI, there are no current Macs that you can upgrade/add memory (RAM).

For your usage, you don't need 32GB, but doesn't hurt, especially for long-term usage (24GB on laptop would still be plenty).

The Studio is overkill - you'd do great with an M2 mini. But if a few hundred bucks either way doesn't hurt the wallet, then, yes, may as well go for Studio if you're going to load up a mini anyway.

My guess is it's been exaggerated, but the one thing to be aware of is the Studio's fan is generally considered more noticeable than the mini, so if you work in a very quiet environment, that may be an issue. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it out though - you can always return it if turns out to be a bother.

If you go the laptop route, don't dismiss the MBA. Both the MBA and MBP are great, it just depends on what features are most important to you.

Best of luck!

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
My guess is it's been exaggerated, but the one thing to be aware of is the Studio's fan is generally considered more noticeable than the mini, so if you work in a very quiet environment, that may be an issue. I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it out though - you can always return it if turns out to be a bother.
That's very good to know. I do work in a quiet environment and I really get bothered by noisy fans, particularly if I am doing any kind of audio recording. I'll have to check it out. I also agree that a Studio is probably overkill. Will check out the MBA and MBP also.
Thanks.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
That's very good to know. I do work in a quiet environment and I really get bothered by noisy fans, particularly if I am doing any kind of audio recording. I'll have to check it out. I also agree that a Studio is probably overkill. Will check out the MBA and MBP also.
Thanks.
Well I have 2 Studio ultras with 2TB SSDs and 128GB RAM each and they are silent, no fan noise at all. So in my experience the fan noise doesn't exist!!

Reactions: jazzer15

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska

iMac computers used to be able to be used as a monitor for a different computer using "target display mode". That no longer exists.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
The current Apple options are honestly a bit disappointing to me, usually because of price or pitiful base RAM/storage. The Studio+Studio Display is a very expensive way to replace your iMac, and the current iMac could be bigger/better for my money. I'd keep your iMac for now, and hope Apple step their game up in the next 12 months

Reactions: AL2TEACH

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Just use your current iMac and its gorgeous screen by using Microsoft’s Remote Desktop app (it’s on the mac app store) to control your Windows laptop. Works very good, just try to connect both machines to your network using ethernet.
I would love to do this, but I don't think it's an option. The security on the laptop is so tight I can barely use it for what it's intended for sometimes. And I am already using it to remote in to my office computer while working remotely. I don't know too much about the software, but I suspect I won't be able to use it.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I unfortunately only have the room for one monitor (or iMac) on my desk.
Could you use a VESA arm connected to your desk, or even to your wall, to give you the space for a monitor and keep your current iMac?

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
The current Apple options are honestly a bit disappointing to me, usually because of price or pitiful base RAM/storage. The Studio+Studio Display is a very expensive way to replace your iMac, and the current iMac could be bigger/better for my money. I'd keep your iMac for now, and hope Apple step their game up in the next 12 months

I agree. The Studio Display is ridiculously overpriced. You could buy a whole intel iMac with the same monitor for less. Not worth considering unless you are super rich.
No way I would buy the Studio Display. I would get a non-Apple display to use with whatever. I honestly don't want to replace the iMac. I'm happy with it. I may have to just buy an external monitor, put it in front of the iMac when I am working and then stick it in the closet when I am done. Not convenient, but it would work.

Reactions: ric22

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
but I hate being locked in just in case.
All Apple devices now come with set-it-and-forget-it RAM. And other companies are moving that way too (see Lenovo and Microsoft for examples.)

Perhaps your actual use case will be fine with just the base M2 Pro Mac Mini? At $1169 (discount price) it may be all the Mac computer you need.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Could you use a VESA arm connected to your desk, or even to your wall, to give you the space for a monitor and keep your current iMac?

Given my set up, I din't think that will work, unfortunately. And there is a window behind the desk (it's a motorized standing desk).

All Apple devices now come with set-it-and-forget-it RAM. And other companies are moving that way too (see Lenovo and Microsoft for examples.)

Perhaps your actual use case will be fine with just the base M2 Pro Mac Mini? At $1169 (discount price) it may be all the Mac computer you need.
It very well could be.

Reactions: picpicmac

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I would love to do this, but I don't think it's an option. The security on the laptop is so tight I can barely use it for what it's intended for sometimes. And I am already using it to remote in to my office computer while working remotely. I don't know too much about the software, but I suspect I won't be able to use it.
It may not be possible, but definitely check this out as an option if it's allowed, as it works great (I use this setup when I work from home). And you don't need ethernet - a good wireless connection is more than fast enough.

All you should need to be able to do on the Windows laptop is enable "remote desktop" in the Windows settings. If you can't do that, then you're unfortunately out of luck on that front.

Reactions: Hat Tric

riptilian

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
I use an OWC Thunderbolt "Go" dock. It's connected to an HP Z27 external 4K display. I switch back and forth between the thunderbolt ports to take advantage of the monitor with each machine. First is a Lenovo X1 Carbon gen7 with 16 gb RAM. The Mac is the MacBook Pro M1 with 32 gb RAM. So you end up replacing the iMac and making your wife happy.
Might this setup work?

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Why do you suppose Apple locks up their iMac screens like this? My only guess is that they get a discount from their screen suppliers by not competing with them.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I agree. The Studio Display is ridiculously overpriced. You could buy a whole intel iMac with the same monitor for less. Not worth considering unless you are super rich.
I actually did that during black Friday 2022.
Picked up a 2020 i7 27" iMac for $1600.
Only had 8GB of memory so I put 64GB in for $120.
Winning.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Why do you suppose Apple locks up their iMac screens like this?
Apple has moved to AirPlay for the current devices.

My only guess is that they get a discount from their screen suppliers by not competing with them.
Apple is not in the display business.

And nearly any LCD monitor you find on the market will be made by LG or Samsung, or manufactured under their license. Both companies supply Apple for Apple's devices' displays, and I doubt either LG or Samsung cares a whit about what Apple wants to do with the OEM products once Apple pays them for the units.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Just use your current iMac and its gorgeous screen by using Microsoft’s Remote Desktop app (it’s on the mac app store) to control your Windows laptop. Works very good, just try to connect both machines to your network using ethernet.
Hmm, that's an unusual solution. Doesn't it technically reduce the speed of work?

Hat Tric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2018
Germany
Hmm, that's an unusual solution. Doesn't it technically reduce the speed of work?
I'm in the same position as OP. I have to use my work Windows laptop but don't want to miss out on my iMac.

The Windows laptop is mostly used for Office work and some specific Windows only software which doesn't have any special 3d graphics requirements. Since both machines are connected to gigabit ethernet I am not noticing any slowdowns.

The MS remote desktop is kind of built in into Windows (depending on your edition).

It works like a charm. The laptop is in clamshell mode all the time and my iMac is the interface.

OP: please give it a try.

Reactions: uller6 and JayDomK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.