Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Apple must feed the eWaste furnaces.
I've always hated the fact that iMac's cant just become "dumb" monitors after their useful life as a computer ends, or indeed double as televisions during their life as a computer. Binning an excellent monitor pointlessly is galling. So many students end up having to buy a TV in addition to an iMac. Why?!

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Apple is not in the display business.

And nearly any LCD monitor you find on the market will be made by LG or Samsung, or manufactured under their license. Both companies supply Apple for Apple's devices' displays, and I doubt either LG or Samsung cares a whit about what Apple wants to do with the OEM products once Apple pays them for the units.
Of course they care. If Macs can't be used as displays, then people have to buy new displays made by LG or Samsung. Hence they make money by Apple's limitation, and so encourage Apple to do it, probably with lower component pricing.

Reactions: ric22

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I replaced mine with a Mac Studio (the Max upgraded to 1GB SSD) and Studio Display near the end of last year. I considered a Mini but by the time you get the Pro chip and upgrade the RAM and SSD, you're pushing into the realm of Studio pricing with a lesser chip. The Mini makes more sense if the base chip meets your needs.
I did the same thing. I think in hindsight I wish I'd got a specced up laptop with the studio display. as I would like a laptop for when I'm using the computer in living room.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
What would be a good replacement for the iMac? Is there any (simple) way to use the iMac as an external monitor that I haven't considered rather than replacing it?
this is such a common question for iMac users that I still wonder why there isn't a tech solution to do so. In the past there was target display... but nowadays I don't think there is anything right? It's just not possible to drive a post-target-display iMac or even better a 5K iMac screen. It's a bummer, especially those screens are very nice. I can understand why Apple no longer sell 27" iMacs and went for a display with Mac mini/studio combo.

Reactions: jazzer15

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
this is such a common question for iMac users that I still wonder why there isn't a tech solution to do so. In the past there was target display... but nowadays I don't think there is anything right? It's just not possible to drive a post-target-display iMac or even better a 5K iMac screen. It's a bummer, especially those screens are very nice. I can understand why Apple no longer sell 27" iMacs and went for a display with Mac mini/studio combo.
I think originally it was due to the way the display was connected internally. The cable inside the first 5K iMacs was custom, because a single DP/TB cable at the time was not able to handle a 5K display. Apple could have added target display functionality back in once TB3 came out, but I guess they realized how much more money they could make by selling new iMacs or Studio Displays instead.

What I'd love to see is a hardware solution that adds inputs to a still functioning 5K iMac. So far it seems it's just conversions of dead iMacs into displays, but I have a 2020 that is still working great that I'd still love to use as a display for our MBPs at times without incurring the performance penalty of screen sharing or other wireless display solutions.

Reactions: jazzer15 and ric22

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My opinion: iMac 2020 still has latest macOS and can bootcamp to be a great Windows computer too. If it's all working, stick with it until it can no longer keep up (which will be when Apple decides to stop supporting Intel Macs)... possibly as soon as this Fall or maybe next Fall... giving you at least about 7 to 18+ months before you really need to do anything.

When that day comes, since you need REAL Windows for that laptop, don't even consider ASD as it is finicky about what you connect to it. Instead, go with any of the other options. I suggest specifically seeking out a 4K+ monitor with at least TWO video inputs, so you can allocate one to your next Mac and one to your Dell.

If you buy the "5K or bust" hype "we" sling around here as if 4K looks atrocious (and it doesn't per my own 20:20 eyes), consider Samsung Viewfinity S9 for this, sometimes on sale for under $1K and it comes with all of the key stand options that cost about $200 extra (EACH) on ASD.

I faced the very same dilemma in going desktop Silicon but needing real Windows (not ARM Windows) too, so I chose the 5K2K Dell 40" Ultrawide (an updated version is due to be released soon with some good improvements). It features FOUR video inputs and has a pretty loaded hub built in too, making it easy to share most fundamental accessories (like speakers, keyboard, mouse, other hubs, webcam, printer, etc.) between Mac and PC depending on which one is in control at the time. A bonus is that since it is so wide, it can easily split the screen so that I can have Mac on one half and PC on the other when it is useful to have- and see/use- BOTH at the same time. This Dell screen itself looks just like my old 27" iMac but with the screen stretched much wider and the chin finally jettisoned.

There's also the LG 5K monitors, which were the ones Apple endorsed by stocking them in their own stores until they rolled out ASD. So they were fine BEFORE ASD but then "plasticy" and "wobbly" AFTER Apple rolled out a competitor. But it too is a great monitor for substantially less than ASD in general. However, I think it is also a single input monitor, so you would need to swap cables regularly to use it both ways.

I chose Mac Studio instead of Mac Mini but that's because there was no PRO M-series Mac Mini at the time. If I was back to making the decision vs. the PRO Mini option, it would be a much more carefully considered one. If the 2020 iMac feels fast enough for your uses, EITHER should be perfectly good as a new Mac for you.

So nutshell: ride the iMac 2020 until the wheels start falling off, then consider a monitor that fully serves both worlds, which is not really ASD.

I hope this is helpful.

One more idea: consider moving the desk/workspace to somewhere else that WOULD accommodate a good-sized monitor for the Dell to put beside or above/below the iMac. There's very likely another spot somewhere around your place where a dual monitor setup would work fine. And Windows works well with pretty much ANY monitor, so you don't have to look at Apple-like budgets to get a great monitor for that Dell. Thanks to robust competition, there are very high-rated 4K monitors for only a few hundred dollars.

And if you want to go "all the way" now, buy yourself a NOT-ASD monitor with at least 2 inputs, and a new Mac Mini or Mac Studio will be a big leap vs. the 2020. Give iMac to your wife and enjoy your new setup: both latest Silicon Mac and that Dell PC as "old fashioned bootcamp" sharing a single monitor and key accessories connected to the hub on that monitor so that BOTH platforms can utilize them.

Last edited:

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
If Macs can't be used as displays, then people have to buy new displays made by LG or Samsung.
Mac owners tend to replace their computers with more Macs. Macs with LCD displays. Displays by Samsung or LG.

Samsung or LG don't really care. In the end they make the product anyway. If it carries an Apple logo all that means is that Apple gets the burden of warranty repair and life-cycle support.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Well, Apple does have a recycling program
Recycling e-waste doesn't give them a free pass for creating e-waste... someone has still had to pointlessly buy an extra product, a process with considerable emissions, whether the original item is recycled or not.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I'm in the same position as OP. I have to use my work Windows laptop but don't want to miss out on my iMac.

The Windows laptop is mostly used for Office work and some specific Windows only software which doesn't have any special 3d graphics requirements. Since both machines are connected to gigabit ethernet I am not noticing any slowdowns.

The MS remote desktop is kind of built in into Windows (depending on your edition).

It works like a charm. The laptop is in clamshell mode all the time and my iMac is the interface.

OP: please give it a try.
That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about that option, but now it becomes a good option for me. Thank you.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Of course they care. If Macs can't be used as displays, then people have to buy new displays made by LG or Samsung. Hence they make money by Apple's limitation, and so encourage Apple to do it, probably with lower component pricing.
I doubt Apple is interested in boosting sales of LG or Samsung or any other brand.

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
My opinion: iMac 2020 still has latest macOS and can bootcamp to be a great Windows computer too. If it's all working, stick with it until it can no longer keep up (which will be when Apple decides to stop supporting Intel Macs)... possibly as soon as this Fall or maybe next Fall... giving you at least about 7 to 18+ months before you really need to do anything.

When that day comes, since you need REAL Windows for that laptop, don't even consider ASD as it is finicky about what you connect to it. Instead, go with any of the other options. I suggest specifically seeking out a 4K+ monitor with at least TWO video inputs, so you can allocate one to your next Mac and one to your Dell.

If you buy the "5K or bust" hype "we" sling around here as if 4K looks atrocious (and it doesn't per my own 20:20 eyes), consider Samsung Viewfinity S9 for this, sometimes on sale for under $1K and it comes with all of the key stand options that cost about $200 extra on ASD.

I faced the very same dilemma in going desktop Silicon but needing real Windows (not ARM Windows) too, so I chose the 5K2K Dell 40" Ultrawide (an updated version is due to be released soon with some good improvements). It features FOUR video inputs and has a pretty loaded hub built in too, making it easy to share most fundamental accessories (like speakers, keyboard, mouse, other hubs, webcam, printer, etc.) between Mac and PC depending on which one is in control at the time. A bonus is that since it is so wide, it can easily split the screen so that I can have Mac on one half and PC on the other when it is useful to have- and see/use- BOTH at the same time. This Dell screen itself looks just like my old 27" iMac but with the screen stretched much wider and the chin finally jettisoned.

There's also the LG 5K monitors, which were the ones Apple endorsed by stocking them in their own stores until they rolled out ASD. So they were fine BEFORE ASD but then "plasticy" and "wobbly" AFTER Apple rolled out a competitor. But it too is a great monitor for substantially less than ASD in general. However, I think it is also a single input monitor, so you would need to swap cables regularly to use it both ways.

I chose Mac Studio instead of Mac Mini but that's because there was no PRO M-series Mac Mini at the time. If I was back to making the decision vs. the PRO Mini option, it would be a much more carefully considered one. If the 2020 iMac feels fast enough for your uses, EITHER should be perfectly good as a new Mac for you.

So nutshell: ride the iMac 2020 until the wheels start falling off, then consider a monitor that fully serves both worlds, which is not really ASD.

I hope this is helpful.

One more idea: consider moving the desk/workspace to somewhere else that WOULD accommodate a good-sized monitor for the Dell to put beside or above/below the iMac. There's very likely another spot somewhere around your place where a dual monitor setup would work fine. And Windows works well with pretty much ANY monitor, so you don't have to look at Apple-like budgets to get a great monitor for that Dell. Thanks to robust competition, there are very high-rated 4K monitors for only a few hundred dollars.

And if you want to go "all the way" now, buy yourself a NOT-ASD monitor with at least 2 inputs, and a new Mac Mini or Mac Studio will be a big leap vs. the 2020. Give iMac to your wife and enjoy your new setup: both latest Silicon Mac and that Dell PC as "old fashioned bootcamp" sharing a single monitor and key accessories connected to the hub on that monitor so that BOTH platforms can utilize them.
If Apple is going to end support for Intel Macs soon, the decision needs to be made with this rumor in mind. By the way, how confirmed is this rumor? You're talking about an imprecise timeline: this fall or next fall. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of dollars for a thing that will be useless in the near future.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Suppose it depends if you need to upgrade it or want to, im using my 2020 maxed iMac and it still feels fast. Im a graphic designer, photographer and videographer and I use the machine pretty hard and its still a champ.

Problem with apple silicon is if your coming in at the base level its pretty good value but buy a headless Mac then if you want more than 32gbs you have to jump up to a max chip and the ram and chip upgrade ends up being a huge additional cost. Add 2tbs etc gets expensive quick.

Then add a studio display which is basically exactly the same as your 2020 iMac screen and add another £1499 and the 2020 iMac started at £1899.

Reason I havent upgraded mine yet. To buy a max studio with 64gb of ram and a studio display its north of 5k and the iMac was £3500 and I added the ram myself. Ram is my limitation so really I would like teh 96 or 128gb options as I work on large format that eats it. I had photoshop running 50gbs usage the other day. Once you start looking at those large capacities the costs get crazy £800 upgrade from 32 to 96. Thats with the max chip once you go past 96 you have to go ultra. If you go to ultra and 128gbs it's a £2100 upgrade on its own. So 5k just for the machine and its the binned ultra then again £1499 so nearly £7k for a machine that would be an upgrade ram wise on my machine.

Then there's the thought of diminishing returns, my iMac is about as fast as an M1 but the GPU is twice the power. Going to M2 Max would halve my outputs but halving it doesn't mean hours its minutes. Depends how you look at it I dont out put a final video hundreds of times it might be once or twice per project.

What matters to me is multitask, that I can have everything open all at once and the machine not be a bottleneck on creativity. What else is important is the UI elements being responsive on the time line in prem, Lightroom sliders, indesign spreads etc Those are tangible just output to me isnt and I can go make myself a coffee while I wait.

Sticking atm. Also the headless Macs are way behind the mobile. By the time the M3 Max and Ultra comes out the M4 chips will literally arrive a couple of months later so your a year behind the curve nearly before purchase. Really annoying.

My advice would be if you arent noticing issues then keep it, the longer you keep it the better value it is, adding an addition 32gb of ram might be a nice upgrade.

That being said off not then enjoy the new apple silicon stuff is epic I just think they are taking advantage of the higher end with the upgrades.

Last edited:

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
My advice would be if you arent noticing issues then keep it, the longer you keep it the better value it is, adding an addition 32gb of ram might be a nice upgrade.

That being said off not then enjoy the new apple silicon stuff is epic I just think they are taking advantage of the higher end with the upgrades.
Yeah, the computer isn't the issue. It's more than sufficient for my needs at the moment. The problem is I can't use it as a monitor and I need something to attach to my work laptop and I don't have the room for both a monitor and my iMac. Some others have made some good suggestions and I'm going to look into them before buying a new computer, I think.

Reactions: ixxx69

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If Apple is going to end support for Intel Macs soon, the decision needs to be made with this rumor in mind. By the way, how confirmed is this rumor? You're talking about an imprecise timeline: this fall or next fall. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of dollars for a thing that will be useless in the near future.

Not sure what you are saying. My advice to OP was spend NOTHING now as the 2020 iMac can run latest macOS and the Dell covers his specialized Windows needs.

Maybe you are thinking resale value of the 2020 before Apple quits Intel macOS updates? OP says the intent is to give the 2020 to the wife if they act now, so there is no resale potential.

OP seems to be mostly driven by wanting a BIGGER screen for the Dell laptop. Since iMac doesn't really offer a good path there other than a significant hardware hack and then cable swaps, the rest of my suggestions were how to go ahead and jump to where OP wants to go now if they really want to spend money now.

I still come back to 1) just keep using the 2020 iMac and 2) potentially add a screen for the Dell. If #2, maybe go ahead and buy the screen to eventually become the Silicon Mac screen too and if he takes the "two inputs" recommendation, he can simply plug in when he replaces the 2020 with a Silicon Mac.

And there is very rarely any confirmed rumors... else they become facts. Those are my own guesses at when macOS for Intel may get its final formal updates. The point in sharing the guess is to remind OP that they can ride macOS Sonoma on that 2020 until at least this Fall, if not next Fall and be as up-to-date on macOS as the Silicon Macs. And even when they drop Intel from macOS, Apple usually keeps security updates going for another year or two... so potentially OP could ride the 2020 until as late as 2027 or so if my guesses are correct. And when it's really over for macOS on that one, OP could readily convert it into a Windows machine and probably get another few years out of it, as Windows tends to support older hardware for longer than Apple.

Last edited:

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Not sure what you are saying. My advice to OP was spend NOTHING now as the 2020 iMac can run latest macOS and the Dell covers his specialized Windows needs.

Maybe you are thinking resale value of the 2020 before Apple quits Intel macOS updates? OP says the intent is to give the 2020 to the wife if they act now, so there is no resale potential.

OP seems to be mostly driven by wanting a BIGGER screen for the Dell PC. Since iMac doesn't really offer a good path there other than a significant hardware hack and then cable swaps, the rest of my suggestions were how to go ahead and jump to where OP wants to go now if they really want to spend money now.

I still come back to 1) just keep using the 2020 iMac and 2) potentially add a screen for the Dell. If #2, maybe go ahead and buy the screen to eventually become the Silicon Mac screen too and if he takes the "two inputs" recommendation, he can simply plug in when he replaces the 2020 with a Silicon Mac.

And there is very rarely any confirmed rumors... else they become facts. Those are my own guesses at when macOS for Intel may get its final formal updates. The point in sharing the guess is to remind OP that they can ride macOS Sonoma on that 2020 until at least this Fall, if not next Fall and be as up-to-date on macOS as the Silicon Macs. And even when they drop Intel from macOS, Apple usually keeps security updates going for another year or two... so potentially OP could ride the 2020 until as late as 2027 or so if my guesses are correct. And when it's really over for macOS on that one, OP could readily convert it into a Windows machine and probably get another few years out of it, as Windows tends to support older hardware for longer than Apple.
I honestly wish I could just use the iMac as a dual boot and use Windows for work purposes now. My employer won't allow it. For security reasons I am forced to use the Dell laptop ... and a 13 inch laptop screen just won't cut it :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I understand, so best options seem to be:
  1. Make do with the small Dell laptop screen and keep using 2020 for Mac stuff. $0
  2. Convince your company to give/lend you a bigger monitor to use with the Dell. $0 (if they will do it)
  3. Buy an inexpensive-but-good PC screen for a few hundred dollars (4K is perfectly fine on PCs) and keep using the 2020. There are very high-rated 4K monitors for < $400 for PC. For both #2 & #3, your new dual monitor setup will probably require finding a new spot for your computing, since you don't have the space for 2 monitors "as is."
  4. Take the leap in buying yourself a 2+ input monitor and a new Mac, giving the 2020 to the wife. Use monitor with both Mac and Dell. Again, I'll suggest the 5K monitors previously referenced in #32 over ASD so you have ready compatibility and no cable swapping between Mac & PC. This will probably tally out to a few thousand dollars unless you go minimum Mac Mini and catch that Samsung Viewfinity S9 in one of its < $1K sales.
I basically went the #4 way myself, choosing that Dell 40" 5K2K ultrawide and could not be more pleased with it as monitor, Mac Studio as desktop and a Mac Mini-like PC for the real PC. The expansive workspace on an ultrawide is a big boon to my own productivity. Dual inputs make switching Mac to PC easy. A built-in hub with many common-use ports makes all of the typical accessories easily shared between Mac & PC: speakers, webcam, printer, keyboard, mouse, etc. That monitor retails as much as ASD with stand option (so about $2K- sometimes a few hundred less from other retailers) to which you then add the new Mac too: maybe refurb Mac Mini with M2 PRO. There's 2 in the refurb store right now 10 core/16 core/32GB/2TB for $1949 and 12 core/19 core/32GB/2TB for $2289. But that's about $4K in outlay to go with both (that) monitor and one of those Macs.

Again, that particular Dell monitor has an upgrade about to be released (shown at CES 2024) and MSRP is about $300 higher. And of course, maybe you don't need a Mac Mini as loaded at those, which can get the overall price down.

And lastly, while the natural thought is to go desktop Mac with big desktop monitor, you could get a loaded MBair or MBpro to double as a desktop Mac alternative. Then you'd have 2 laptops basically standing in as desktops hooked to the new monitor. For about the same as the Mac mini pricing, you could get a M2 MBair with 24GB/2TB in refurb store. For about $1000 more, there are multiple 16" MBpros with 64GB/1TB configs and M2 MAX chips in the store right now.

Note that there are heavy rumors for a MBair refresh next month (MAR), so waiting might get those for lowered prices and/or the M3 versions may have greater appeal as your next Mac. The rumor on that Dell ultrawide release is also around end of THIS month. Maybe sit on the wallet a bit longer and see how both plays out.

Last edited:

JayDomK

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024

OP seems to be mostly driven by wanting a BIGGER screen for the Dell PC. Since iMac doesn't really offer a good path there other than a significant hardware hack and then cable swaps, the rest of my suggestions were how to go ahead and jump to where OP wants to go now if they really want to spend money now.

I get your point, thanks for the details. Yes, you're right.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I understand, so best options seem to be:
  1. Make do with the small Dell laptop screen and keep using 2020 for Mac stuff. $0
  2. Convince your company to give/lend you a bigger monitor to use with the Dell. $0 (if they will do it)
  3. Buy an inexpensive-but-good PC screen for a few hundred dollars (4K is perfectly fine on PCs) and keep using the 2020. There are very high-rated 4K monitors for < $400 for PC. For both #2 & #3, your new dual monitor setup will probably require finding a new spot for your computing, since you don't have the space for 2 monitors "as is."
  4. Take the leap in buying yourself a 2+ input monitor and a new Mac, giving the 2020 to the wife. Use monitor with both Mac and Dell. Again, I'll suggest the 5K monitors previously referenced in #32 over ASD so you have ready compatibility and no cable swapping between Mac & PC. This will probably tally out to a few thousand dollars unless you go minimum Mac Mini and catch that Samsung Viewfinity S9 in one of its < $1K sales.
That about sums it up.

Just to add another wrinkle, I realized today that my wife's computer is still running Big Sur. I can upgrade it to Monterey so it still gets security patches, but I imagine that will end with the next OS update toward the end of the year. She also runs Parallels because there is 1 Windows app that she needs to use (dual boot won't be convenient enough for her). So, upgrading to Monterey will also require an upgrade to Parallels, which is now an annual subscription unless I can find an old version off Ebay. I realize her computer is now 8+ years old, but it runs perfectly. Anyway, all of this forced obsolescence gets annoying and while there are work arounds, it all requires more ongoing maintenance and troubleshooting than I prefer to deal with.

One more argument in favor of moving the 2020 computer along to her I suppose, but I'm still resisting. :)

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

PhunkyBuc

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
No, if they can't be used as displays, it forces people to go buy the ASD.

That's the whole point lol. They used to sell a standalone thunderbolt display before the ASD (I believe it was only $999 though, which is at least somewhat more reasonable for a 5k screen).

There's just so little competition in the 5k screen market, which is the real problem. AFAIK the LG 5k is the only option that is cheaper. The Samsung S9 is same price as the base ASD, however that does include heigh-adjustment capability, which Apple gouges you for as an add-on.

Of course I agree with everyone that the ASD is overpriced when the tech behind screen itself has been around since 2015.

-Posted from my 2015 5k iMac that is on its last legs

Reactions: ric22

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
So, I think I may have figured out a way to fit a 27 inch monitor alongside the iMac. Assuming it works, I would like to get a 4k that I can use both as a second monitor with my iMac as well as a stand alone to use with the work laptop. Any thoughts about this? Dell Monitor Despite what it says, I don't think it is really curved.

Any other suggestions?

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Any thoughts about this? Dell Monitor
In the Accessories forum there are very long-running threads about monitors. Many of them discuss Dell monitors.

Right now, the model you linked at Amazon is the same price directly from Dell, and some people might prefer to buy directly from Dell for better support.

PhunkyBuc

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
Welp, I've had my Apple Studio Display for about a month now... and honestly, it kind of sucks. At least as far as the webcam / microphone go.

Literally half the times I have joined a Zoom call or Google meet over the past month, my audio and video is simply unusable. Choppy, frozen, etc. I've had to restart the monitor multiple times to get it to work. Today that didn't even help, so I ended up jumping on my 2015 5k iMac to take my meeting.

It's straight up embarrassing. And unacceptable for a $1500+ piece of equipment. And of course I am outside the return window... very frustrating.

Reactions: Chuckeee

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Use your iPhone with continuity camera it’s so much better than anything else native on Apple hardware. Been really impressed with my 15pro bought a little mount to put on top of the display from Amazon and plug it in so not to rely on WiFi.

Also I’ve had a lot of problems with chrome with continuity camera and it came down to permissions allowing the iPhone to be used. Maybe boot down the machine and reset pram then set zoom back to defaults and try checking the permissions.

One thing that really frustrated me with Mac OS now it’s as bad a vista was with prompts and allowing things. Drives me mad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.