Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
I was wondering what the first Macs that you guys used were. The first Mac I used was an OG 2006 17 inch MacBook Pro Core Duo (my dad is still steamed about how Apple screwed him over with the Core 2 lol)

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
First Mac I ever used was an old eMac. I remember my parents had two of them—one was their "work machine" which I was never allowed to touch, and the other was the "personal machine," which I played around on all the time! Those got quickly replaced by Intels though, but I do vaguely remember using the eMac.

EDIT: I recently found the original OS X 10.3 install discs, including the old Xcode Tools that must've come with those eMacs in a filing cabinet!

Last edited:

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Mac SE. 1 mb RAM. HD was a “whopping” 40 mb 😀.
Eventually stuffed in a graphics card to attach a 19 or 20 inch RasterOps monitor.

Reactions: TMax and txa1265

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think…a Mac IIci. That would have been some time around 1993-1994 for me when I was just getting started in graphic design school. Later that school had the IIsi and IIvx.

My mom was a teacher and Computer Science was one of her elective classes so we had computers in and out of the house from 1980 on. The first Apple in the house would have been an Apple IIe I believe.

The first Mac I used for personal stuff would have been my mom's PowerMac 7200. Around 1995-1996.

I didn't convert to Mac until mid-2003.

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
IIC in grade school. They were common classroom computers when I was in school because they were just old enough that they were widely available on the cheap or were getting replaced by DOS based computers in our computer labs.

Of course the Apple Iic wasn't actually a "Mac". I suppose the first Mac I properly used was the monochrome Mac Classic, which was in our computer lab already when I was in 1st/2nd grade.

Macs were very common in education in the 90s and I used them throughout grade school and junior high. I think my actual love affair with Macs began when I was on the school paper in High School. Our editors built the paper using some Power Mac G3 Towers. Us reporters had some older LCs running System 7 that we used for writing. I've always appreciated the way MacOS handles files and organizes information.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Dad brought home the original when I was in Kindergarten. Blew my little mind, when the other computers in the house were a Coco and a Compaq Luggable.

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
The early 90s - Apple Mac Classic II with an external 40 MB hard drive that you needed to power up before you powered on the Mac. Did my college work on that,

Then Performa 475's, running System 6 and 7 - I was an official reseller of Macs then, I sold from a little computer shop in Conwy, North Wales.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Family had an Apple II but my first Mac was the iMac in my sig purchased in early 2017, six years after my first iPhone! Still going strong though I am not enamoured of the latest iMacs personally. May go Mini or Studio for my next desktop.

Reactions: Apple Fan 2008

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
First generation G4 Mac Mini. I loved that system except for the well known display issues that even the suggested work-arounds did not fully solve. Had several Macs after that, went back to Windows when I worked for Dell, and just this month bought an M2 Mini and am enjoying so far.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My first Mac I used was a Macintosh SE. The bondi Blue iMac was when I largely went completely over to the mac and only used a PC for work stuff.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
It was either a 512 or an SE in high school, the graphics class got one and no one knew what to do with it, luckily I got to step in.

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
Anyone else remember ClarisWorks?
Yes. I got it with some used computer or other. I think the computer was one of those models that included it as a part of the package when bought new.

I never used it much, but it was handy sometimes. If I'd gotten it sooner, it would probably have been the only office application software I used.

In the earliest years I used a Mac, I used Microsoft Works. ClarisWorks was--as far as I was concerned--a vastly superior product. If only it had been around when I got my SE...

WriteNow

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2021
While the SE was the first Mac, I did use Apple II computers at school. The general computer lab had a mix of vintages--everything form the original Apple II up to one IIc. I heard a year or so after I graduated from high school that they were planning on redoing the lab and getting Macintosh computers, although I don't know that if that happened.

I saw my chemistry teacher about 10 years ago. He told me that he actually still had some Apple II model that he'd use for some specialized applications, still. I suspect connecting to some lab equipment or something like that. He laughed, saying he had students who'd say: "Wow! That's older than I am!" And he'd tell them it was also older than some of the current teachers at the school!

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
As a kid I had a friend whose parents owned two Apple computers: a pair of '06 plastic MacBooks both White and Black. I was not allowed to use the black one so it was even more mysterious and interesting than it would be anyway (black was only available as highest-end spec). Anyway, very alien experience using macOS over Windows XP.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
fir Apple computer I used was the Apple II ... first I owned was a 2006 MacBook Core white. I still have that, last time I checked ~ 2 years ago still booted up, and boot time was just as fast as my then 15" MBP ;)

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
For me the first Apple computer I used was the Apple IIc, if I remember rightly. That was in school, where I learnt to program at age 12. I remember the teachers got quite upset when I asked to see the manuals to look at the details for PEEK and POKE, because I was getting to know more about the machines than they did!

The first Mac I owned was not until the Power Mac 9500 in 1997 I believe.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.