Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
f6d77cb60a6f1d6d6ceefe9993500d1b.jpg

I was digging through some old stuff and found the first PC game I ever bought. Sure I’ve had some preloaded games like solitaire and minesweeper but I remember picking this game up at a local computer store.

I had no idea how difficult it was to even run this game and after a day of trial and error, I made my very first boot disk to play the game in my 386SX PC work 2MB of RAM.

The old desktop that I had didn’t even have a soundcard so I had to use the internal speaker and listen to all the beeps and bops in the game. My uncle at the time upgraded to a sound blaster 16 so he gave me his old sound blaster and I was amazed to hear MJs voice in the game.

We’ve definitely come a long way after the past few decades!

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
My first PC game was a mixture. I got a laptop from my Dad’s work place when I was 6 or so as my birthday present. Some Pentium DELL with a bulbous haemorrhoid-sized ball as the trackpad. :)

I installed BOWEP (best of Windows’ Entertainment Pack), so had games like Ski Free, Rodent’s Revenge, Chip’s Challenge, Pipe Dream, Tetris, and a few others I couldn’t recall.

Following that it was a lot of Descent 2 over LAN with my younger brother. Command & Conquer, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Dark Forces... I really do have fond memories of ‘90s gaming.

Thanks for making me curl up with nostalgia. I’ve now had a hard-hitting realisation that I’m nearly ****ing 30. Time for another beer.

Reactions: soulreaver99

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
master of orion
alone in the dark
simon the sorcerer
wolfenstein 3d
... and so on ...

386sx25, 80mb hdd, 2mb ram (possible to add 8 more) , soundblaster with tiny plastic speakers... and i still have it

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
My first PC game was a mixture. I got a laptop from my Dad’s work place when I was 6 or so as my birthday present. Some Pentium DELL with a bulbous haemorrhoid-sized ball as the trackpad. :)

I installed BOWEP (best of Windows’ Entertainment Pack), so had games like Ski Free, Rodent’s Revenge, Chip’s Challenge, Pipe Dream, Tetris, and a few others I couldn’t recall.

Following that it was a lot of Descent 2 over LAN with my younger brother. Command & Conquer, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Star Wars Rebel Assault, Dark Forces... I really do have fond memories of ‘90s gaming.

Thanks for making me curl up with nostalgia. I’ve now had a hard-hitting realisation that I’m nearly ****ing 30. Time for another beer.

Nearly 30?? Lol I’m nearly pushing 40. Dark Forces was badass and Descent was pretty amazing.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
master of orion
alone in the dark
simon the sorcerer
wolfenstein 3d
... and so on ...

386sx25, 80mb hdd, 2mb ram (possible to add 8 more) , soundblaster with tiny plastic speakers... and i still have it

Hell yeah! That was pretty much the same hardware I had. Ever hit the turbo switch on that thing? Lol. Alone in the a Dark was great and of course wolfenstein. I played both shareware copies of them on my 386

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I can't remember what the first one was, and it was Mac Gaming for me, but here is a list of my early Mac games:

Chuck Yeager's air combat
Castles 2: Seige and Conquest
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
Full Throttle
Spin Doctor
Lemmings
Sam and Max Hit the Road

Maybe some others that I am forgetting about.
[doublepost=1549825576][/doublepost]oh yea, one of my favorites, Sim Tower

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I didn't even get into games while I used early PCs. I switched to Macs in 1985. I wasn't much of a gamer with those early Macs either, but I remember some little time-waster that I liked, it was sort of a knockoff of Tetris... I think it was called Columns.

And then I liked Crystal Quest when that came along.

Reactions: Huntn

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I
Lemmings

oh, lemmings - i totally forgot those cute worms...

dynablaster
halloween harry

just came on my mind

Hell yeah! That was pretty much the same hardware I had. Ever hit the turbo switch on that thing? Lol. Alone in the a Dark was great and of course wolfenstein. I played both shareware copies of them on my 386

i didnt have the turbo switch - it was always running at 25hz

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Rollercoaster_Tycoon_logo.png

I remember playing Roller Coaster Tycoon a lot on a laptop. The pretty amazing thing about it was that the Windows Laptop survived from 2000 to 2015 without anything failing, so it always gave me nostalgia when I saw it (god that thing was slow at the end though, literally took 15 minutes before you could click an icon on the home screen).

I also played the original Sims and Cruise Ship Tycoon, but roller coaster tycoon is the first I remember and still my favorite.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I can't remember what the first one was, and it was Mac Gaming for me, but here is a list of my early Mac games:

Full Throttle
Spin Doctor
Lemmings
Sam and Max Hit the Road

Lot of great classics on the Mac. I remember the first game I played on a LAN was Marathon, which was the grandfather of the Halo series. Warcraft I and II was also badass. And let’s not forget SimCity 2000!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Lot of great classics on the Mac. I remember the first game I played on a LAN was Marathon, which was the grandfather of the Halo series. Warcraft I and II was also badass. And let’s not forget SimCity 2000!

I (still) have all of those I think, the only one I’m not sure is Marathon. I think I had it, but didn’t play it much.

I have all of the Warcraft game and majority of my Mac gaming was spent on Some version of Warcraft.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Marathon was completely amazing, beating the crap out of Doom. :) It was my first mindblowing exposure to multiplayer arenas. I upgraded my Mac (1994) to a PowerPC processor just to play this game.

Multiplayer arena on a small map with double sawed off shotguns was quite the adrenaline rush. :D

B5FA7471-3808-49E4-A8B3-B6BDBEBB9A84.jpeg

The Warcraft and Mist Series on the Mac were both great.

About 1998. I purchased my first PC to play Half Hife, a truly amazing adventure game at the Black Mesa Lab.

F5C885A1-6AD0-48F0-A5BB-0A59A6238DE9.jpeg
[doublepost=1549842147][/doublepost]

Full Throttle
Spin Doctor
Lemmings
Sam and Max Hit the Road

CYAC provided many weekends of multiplayer fun! :)

5D5B16CA-C45A-4F2A-B903-2387658D195E.jpeg

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
CYAC provided many weekends of multiplayer fun!

I think the scenarios started out like “There I was”.... and just fill in the blanks.

I have played a lot of flight simulators, and I think Chuck Yeager’s was the most fun.

I played it again maybe Ten years ago, the graphics were much more blocky than I remember.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Oregon Trail and Wolfenstein 3D. Then Duke Nuke'Em

Rather diverse selection, right?
I forgot about Oregon Trail and Oregon Trail 2.....

I forget which one it was 1 or 2, but I deliberately delayed completing it and would just hunt like crazy to make time go by and to sell the meat, I think I got into the 20th century and was still on the trail.

I didn’t see any cars though.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I think the scenarios started out like “There I was”.... and just fill in the blanks.

I have played a lot of flight simulators, and I think Chuck Yeager’s was the most fun.

I played it again maybe Ten years ago, the graphics were much more blocky than I remember.

You’re forgetting TIE Fighter. That was a badass flight sim :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Good arcade fun, back in the days of primitive graphics. :)

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
King's Quest I. I played it on an 8MHz 8088 PC with a 10MB hard drive and CGA graphics. I played a lot of the old Sierra "Quest" games on that PC.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
f6d77cb60a6f1d6d6ceefe9993500d1b.jpg

I was digging through some old stuff and found the first PC game I ever bought. Sure I’ve had some preloaded games like solitaire and minesweeper but I remember picking this game up at a local computer store.

I had no idea how difficult it was to even run this game and after a day of trial and error, I made my very first boot disk to play the game in my 386SX PC work 2MB of RAM.

The old desktop that I had didn’t even have a soundcard so I had to use the internal speaker and listen to all the beeps and bops in the game. My uncle at the time upgraded to a sound blaster 16 so he gave me his old sound blaster and I was amazed to hear MJs voice in the game.

We’ve definitely come a long way after the past few decades!
If I need a PC game then first of them was... I guess Flat Out 2, 11 years ago.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons. That was the only PC game I played until the release of the first Duke Nukem game about a 6-7 months later.

I was mainly a console kid growing up, only ever playing PC games at friends and family members houses. My parents never bought a PC until about 1997. And I remember the first game I got for it, Lego Island!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.