Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
IFIRC the very first computer game I remember playing was the Oregon Trail in grade school on an Apple 2. Teacher told us to play. Other than that Blake Stone, wolf3D, Pirates on family computer.

Reactions: jbachandouris

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
First game, pong but that was a console.

First game on the PC, was Adventure.
upload_2019-3-19_7-27-12.png

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
f6d77cb60a6f1d6d6ceefe9993500d1b.jpg

I was digging through some old stuff and found the first PC game I ever bought. Sure I’ve had some preloaded games like solitaire and minesweeper but I remember picking this game up at a local computer store.

I had no idea how difficult it was to even run this game and after a day of trial and error, I made my very first boot disk to play the game in my 386SX PC work 2MB of RAM.

The old desktop that I had didn’t even have a soundcard so I had to use the internal speaker and listen to all the beeps and bops in the game. My uncle at the time upgraded to a sound blaster 16 so he gave me his old sound blaster and I was amazed to hear MJs voice in the game.

We’ve definitely come a long way after the past few decades!

I can’t remember but I think it was a rpg on cassette and atari’s star raider on cartridge for the 400/800 computer system.
[doublepost=1553171602][/doublepost]
f6d77cb60a6f1d6d6ceefe9993500d1b.jpg

I was digging through some old stuff and found the first PC game I ever bought. Sure I’ve had some preloaded games like solitaire and minesweeper but I remember picking this game up at a local computer store.

I had no idea how difficult it was to even run this game and after a day of trial and error, I made my very first boot disk to play the game in my 386SX PC work 2MB of RAM.

The old desktop that I had didn’t even have a soundcard so I had to use the internal speaker and listen to all the beeps and bops in the game. My uncle at the time upgraded to a sound blaster 16 so he gave me his old sound blaster and I was amazed to hear MJs voice in the game.

We’ve definitely come a long way after the past few decades!

You know, soundcards are not even reviewed anymore.

BrettAP98

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2019
ToonTown Online in '03. Played it on a Windows Vista/XP Compaq. The game closed in 2013, but was revived in 2014 by loyal fans and I still play it, renamed ToonTown Rewritten.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Zork 1 (I am talking the very original version)
First game graphical game is kind of tough as I was a game console person at the arcade. Though Donkey Kong has to be right up there on the list and of course Pong. I remember as a child playing on a big screen that was specially made for the game (I would say it was at least the size of a pool table if not bigger) at the K of C (Knights of Columbus where my father was a member). As silly as it sounds I wish I could have that screen version of Pong as it was cool. I think I remember someone saying that they paid about $6,000 for the pong game. That was a lot of money in the the 70s.

Games today are awesome graphically, but a lot of them don't have the game playability as the older 8-bit games did.

Reactions: Huntn

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Zork 1 (I am talking the very original version)
First game graphical game is kind of tough as I was a game console person at the arcade. Though Donkey Kong has to be right up there on the list and of course Pong. I remember as a child playing on a big screen that was specially made for the game (I would say it was at least the size of a pool table if not bigger) at the K of C (Knights of Columbus where my father was a member). As silly as it sounds I wish I could have that screen version of Pong as it was cool. I think I remember someone saying that they paid about $6,000 for the pong game. That was a lot of money in the the 70s.

Games today are awesome graphically, but a lot of them don't have the game playability as the older 8-bit games did.

Zork was just words on the screen with no graphical icons at all, there were a few games like that except for wizardry.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
windows did not exist when I started PC gaming :)

so called graphical games
Alice through the looking glass might have been first ?
Dejavu
airborne

fav old PC game was the original Thief (1998) loved that old game

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I technically started on a Commodore 64.

Then it was Ultima Online, followed my Evercrack (Everquest). Several years (and games) later, I'm doing the World of Warcrack thing.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Not sure I can remember that far back. Stoneville Manor on the TRS-80 (word based adventure game).

Castle Wolfenstein (Apple).

Space Invaders on TI-994A.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
It wasn't Windows or Mac, but my first computer game was Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on our Apple //e in probably 1983. I remember making my own maps on graph paper. I played the first two sequels too (Wizardry II and Wizardry III) before losing track of the series.

(Edited to fix typo)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.