Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Web Browser do You Use on PowerPC Macs?

• Total voters

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I use TFF on my QS as it is running Tiger and it's the only current browser option. I have both TFF & WK at this point on my PMG5. I was using Classilla & icab in OS9 until that HDD died.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I just downloaded Roccat browser and it is pretty cool so far. The GUI is a bit different from what Im used to but looking at the roccat website, there's some neat potential under the hood. I'll need to play around with it but it is pretty much on par with Leopard webkit speed-wise. The one weird thing about Roccat was when I went to install, the roccat icon was missing - see the screen capture below. I could highlight an empty square and drop that into my applications folder and all went just fine, but it was weird. I tried it with three separate DLs and it did it each time.
roccat install jpg.jpg

I also started using GlimmerBlocker for web ads in LWK (like the annoying google ones on this site) and it works very well without slowing LWK down. LWK's still nice and zippy with GB running in the background. I haven't figured out how to make youtube work in LWK but until then TFF and roccat both work great.

I admit that to date I have been using TFF on the PMG5 because of its adblocker addon which has been freaking awesome (hate ads) but since finding glimmerblocker, I can see myself using LWK more due to its snappier feel and speed.

So now, I'm using three -

1.) LWK for general surfing, 10.5.8
2.) TFF for heavy stuff/online purchasing/youtube and it runs on Tiger 10.5.8/10.4.11
3.) Roccat for I don't know yet exactly but it has a fresh innovative feel to it and that to me is cool. Someone or a team taking the time to be innovative for PPC in 2016 is donation well spent IMO :D, 10.5.8

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just downloaded Roccat browser and it is pretty cool so far. The GUI is a bit different from what Im used to but looking at the roccat website, there's some neat potential under the hood. I'll need to play around with it but it is pretty much on par with Leopard webkit speed-wise. The one weird thing about Roccat was when I went to install, the roccat icon was missing - see the screen capture below. I could highlight an empty square and drop that into my applications folder and all went just fine, but it was weird. I tried it with three separate DLs and it did it each time.
View attachment 672037
I also started using GlimmerBlocker for web ads in LWK (like the annoying google ones on this site) and it works very well without slowing LWK down. LWK's still nice and zippy with GB running in the background. I haven't figured out how to make youtube work in LWK but until then TFF and roccat both work great.

I admit that to date I have been using TFF on the PMG5 because of its adblocker addon which has been freaking awesome (hate ads) but since finding glimmerblocker, I can see myself using LWK more due to its snappier feel and speed.

So now, I'm using three -

1.) LWK for general surfing, 10.5.8
2.) TFF for heavy stuff/online purchasing/youtube and it runs on Tiger 10.5.8/10.4.11
3.) Roccat for I don't know yet exactly but it has a fresh innovative feel to it and that to me is cool. Someone or a team taking the time to be innovative for PPC in 2016 is donation well spent IMO :D, 10.5.8
Usually, the app icon thing is because an app is universal. Been my experience anyway. The Transmit app (an FTP app) is universal too and all I get on my PowerPC Macs is a blank icon, but the MacPro at work has the actual icon. So there is that as well.

Glimmerblocker is great when it works, not so great when you can't figure it out. My main problem with it is that I have to load another app (System Preferences) to adjust ad blocking.

I think we discussed ad blockers with T4Fx a while back, but I'll meantion BluHell Firewall again. The series of addons for Firefox/Mozilla/T4Fx collectively known as AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, etc have a pretty serious memory leak that impacts the performance of the browser. It's never been fixed and I don't expect it will in the future.

People use T4Fx, install ABP (or one of it's family members) and then complain T4Fx is slow. That memory leak is a big reason why.

Oh yeah. Roccat. Their main claim to fame has been to be the social Webkit browser. Facebook and Twitter buttons are built in. Roccat is pretty good, but I've never been able to login to their own site via their registration buttons (using Roccat).

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I also started using GlimmerBlocker for web ads in LWK (like the annoying google ones on this site) and it works very well without slowing LWK down.

Are you aware that because of the way GlimmerBlocker works it can be used with TFF (or any web browser) in addition to WebKit? In fact using it with TFF allows you to remove (disable) BluHell ;)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
So I just noticed that in both LWK and Roccat that the pictures in Craigslist don't show up. How annoying is that? At first I thought it might be GB so I disabled it and rebooted but the problem persists. It is not however an issue in TFF :D .

Thanks for the info Hack. I kind of assumed that as it was stand alone that it would do its thing on all browsers but I appreciate the confirmation. I think I'll disable the pop up add-on in TFF and use that until I figure out why there are no CL pictures on these other browsers - I mean there are pictures everywhere else I go, just not my favorite junk junky website. ;)

So after playing with these browsers more n more, despite being slower, TFF is back on top for me as I get youtube and CL and by dropping the ad blocker plugin, I'll get even better performance.

Last edited:

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I kind of assumed that as it was stand alone that it would do its thing on all browsers but I appreciate the confirmation.

RhianB to be clear, GlimmerBlocker changes the system default proxy for http traffic. However in order to use GlimmerBlocker with TFF you must manually change the proxy setting inside TFF. Never using Roccat I can't comment on how to make it use Gilimmerblocker.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Hmm... just downloaded Roccat, and I'm using it now. I actually really like it! I may even use it as my default. However, should I relink it against Leopard-WebKit? Sometimes websites can look a little funny. It also feels just a little bit slower. Maybe it's using al older WebKit version? I'd appreciate any information on this, thanks!

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Well, I actually just made Roccat my default browser. I really love the interface and the features. I like how I can sync my bookmarks with RClouds and I love the "flick" feature. So much fun! I added Roccat to the poll, also.

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
Hmm... just downloaded Roccat, and I'm using it now. I actually really like it! I may even use it as my default. However, should I relink it against Leopard-WebKit? Sometimes websites can look a little funny. It also feels just a little bit slower. Maybe it's using al older WebKit version? I'd appreciate any information on this, thanks!
Yes, you should relink it against LWKit. Then you can get also YT in fullscreen :)

eastone

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Vaasa
Well, I tried and my new Roccat that is relinked crashes on startup. Using Roccat 6.6.
I used "WebKit-600.8.10_2-Leopard-PowerPC" on my G5 without any problem.
Try to remove Roccat app and "org.Runecats.Roccat.plist" from preferences and install everything once again.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Just installed the TFF 45.5 update. It seems slower to me. I was very happy with the previous build performance. I wonder if my tweaks were reset. Without looking, it seems that way. Anyhow, I also uninstalled and reinstalled rocket and LWK and both are working flawlessly on my PMG5 once again. I screwed something up (I assume using GlitterBlocker). User error.

That would make a suiting forum handle. :D

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I used "WebKit-600.8.10_2-Leopard-PowerPC" on my G5 without any problem.
Try to remove Roccat app and "org.Runecats.Roccat.plist" from preferences and install everything once again.
OK... but shouldn't I use the newest WebKit? You're using an older version (hint: go to "Files" on the SourceForge page. thanks @Hack5190).
[doublepost=1479340515][/doublepost]
Just installed the TFF 45.5 update. It seems slower to me. I was very happy with the previous build performance. I wonder if my tweaks were reset. Without looking, it seems that way. Anyhow, I also uninstalled and reinstalled rocket and LWK and both are working flawlessly on my PMG5 once again. I screwed something up (I assume using GlitterBlocker). User error.

That would make a suiting forum handle. :D
A new TFF update? Great! Although I never think I'll use TFF again. I'm now entirely WebKit/Roccat.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Yes, you should relink it against LWKit. Then you can get also YT in fullscreen :)

Sorry don't mean to hijack this but how did you get it working in full screen? I just relinked and have both the newest Roccat and webkit but it still wont go full screen

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Have you tried ClickToPlugin to get Youtube working? Works great for me on Leopard WebKit, you just click on the video thumbnail and it opens straight into QT Player.

Reactions: 1042686

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Sorry don't mean to hijack this but how did you get it working in full screen? I just relinked and have both the newest Roccat and webkit but it still wont go full screen
You successfully relinked? My relinked Roccat crashes on startup, as I said above. Any ideas for what to try? Thanks.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
You successfully relinked? My relinked Roccat crashes on startup, as I said above. Any ideas for what to try? Thanks.

used the relink script included in the leopard webkit app and that made a "Roccat LepWK" app just dragged it over the original app

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
No, but I will now that you've recommended it.

You might want to look here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-options-in-2016.1986056/#post-23195872

Ninjakit/viewtube is more efficient than Clicktoplugin and provides more options.
[doublepost=1479630808][/doublepost]I love the feel of Roccat and the fact it's contemporary but it's always crash prone, no matter what machine I install it on.
I use these browsers in descending order of preference
Webkit
TFF
Safari (with javascript and images turned off)
Stainless
Omniweb

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
used the relink script included in the leopard webkit app and that made a "Roccat LepWK" app just dragged it over the original app
That's exactly what I did. I'll try again, but last time "Roccat LepWK" crashed on startup.
[doublepost=1479655956][/doublepost]OK, just tried relinking again. My new LepWK Roccat still crashes! The only problem that I can think of is that I am using a newer LWK than you. And I hate the old LWK, it gives me even more bugs on MacRumors than Roccat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.