Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
another false rumor I hate seeing spread. Although when we had Jailbreakme.com on 3.0, that really was simple, so simple a cave man could do it.

Anyway, jailbreaking 5.x and rooting a newer phone like the S3 is exactly the same knowledge level. Both require you to download a piece of software that actually does the jailbreaking/rooting and both require a file that is used. Both are downloaded and then 2 or 3 clicks, wait the few minutes while the magic happens and done.
Now if you want to ROM an Android phone after rooting, so you can change the look and actions of your phone, well that is some extra steps, but since iPhone doesn't have this ability (and no Dreamboard doesn't count as it is not the same thing) we won't go there.

In my experience of jailbreaking my first gen iPhone, 3G, 4 and a friends 4S - Jailbreaking is much easier than rooting/custom ROM installation.

Jailbreaking only requires a program (in most cases)
Whereas rooting/custom ROM's require a corresponding kernel, Odin, the correct ROM etc (There are more but I can't remember)

Not to mention the VAST amount of fragmented versions.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
My GS3 looks the same with wall of icons. I tried some widgets but i probably looked at them once in 3 weeks lol. Useless and overrated IMO.

Also like having settings in one settings app. It is a pain not to know how to set up something because you are searching in the wrong place.

It's a pain while you are learning. It's not a pain, once you figure it out. We will see the same thing when Windows 8 launches. IOS is pretty intuitive. Most things are not, and therefore take time.

And I agree, most widgets are useless battery hogs, as are most live wallpapers. There are some real gems out there though, that don't eat battery life and are extremely helpful. One in particular you should check out is called Blingboard. Don't let the name fool you! I also like 'iphone notifications' app.

----------

In my experience of jailbreaking my first gen iPhone, 3G, 4 and a friends 4S - Jailbreaking is much easier than rooting/custom ROM installation.

Whereas rooting/custom ROM's require a corresponding kernel, Odin, the correct ROM etc (There are more but I can't remember)

You are confusing rooting and rom-ing. Rooting is the same thing as jailbreaking. Simply gives you access to the root folders and commands of the phone. You only need Odin and the .tar file that allows root. Nothing more. Download the two, plug your phone in and 3 clicks later you are done. Same as jailbreaking.

As I said above, if you want to install a rom, different kernal, etc... Now you can since you are rooted, but there is no need to do this. I rooted just so I could use apps that required root access, but everything else on my phone is stock.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It's a pain while you are learning. It's not a pain, once you figure it out. We will see the same thing when Windows 8 launches. IOS is pretty intuitive. Most things are not, and therefore take time.

And I agree, most widgets are useless battery hogs, as are most live wallpapers. There are some real gems out there though, that don't eat battery life and are extremely helpful. One in particular you should check out is called Blingboard. Don't let the name fool you! I also like 'iphone notifications' app.

----------

You are confusing rooting and rom-ing. Rooting is the same thing as jailbreaking. Simply gives you access to the root folders and commands of the phone. You only need Odin and the .tar file that allows root. Nothing more. Download the two, plug your phone in and 3 clicks later you are done. Same as jailbreaking.

As I said above, if you want to install a rom, different kernal, etc... Now you can since you are rooted, but there is no need to do this. I rooted just so I could use apps that required root access, but everything else on my phone is stock.

Thank i will try it.

This is not my first android btw, and i have been using androids alongside iPhones since Eclair came out. But i could never keep widgets on my screen. I had gmail on my captivate a while ago and figured i still needed to go into the app everytime anyway, so i deleted it and freed the screen and processor of extra overhead.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Having been an android user all my life, I bought an iPad to see what the rave was about iOS. I honestly couldn't see it.

You all see a couchy easy to use OS whereas I see a ridiculously boring wall of squares. I also hate iTunes with a passion. Also how deluded is it having all your settings in the settings menu. A seriously overrated experience.

I kinda understand where you're coming from being a long time android user as well. Fortunately for me I never was an apple enthusiast. I've never owned a mac, or apple tv or ipad. Just an iPhone and ipod touch. So I never really got drawn into the whole apple ecosystem. I've probably invested a grand total of $25 worth of apps (mostly games on sale) but nothing to where I feel I'd be losing my investment if I were to hop on another platform.

iOS as a whole though is far from overrated. Everything is based on simplicity and I admit they perform that to a tee. The biggest thing for me to get used to was that there was no back button. This used to aggravate me at first but after awhile I just realized that the os is different and once you acclimate yourself to it, you see that it has its merits.

For me, that's why I prefer to have the best of both worlds. There are certain things I enjoy more on the iPhone and what my iphone can't do. I always have my Android device there to pick up the slack.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
3. Photos automatically upload to iPhoto and Aperture libraries through PhotoStream - sure there's Drop Box but with PhotoStream, I don't really have to think about it when I want to pull up photos from my Mac

Automator is your friend. Enable auto addition to dropbox photos folder from android phone, have Automator on your mac automatically add photos to iPhoto. Works in less than a minute.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
The few times that I left and came back I missed. The screen quality, the mute switch, tap the clock to scroll to the top ( it sounds little but it's huge, i.e. every web page) , the keyboard (huge miss), one hand usage, hardware build quality, faster charging, and battery life. I think that is all.

You said a mouthful here sir, as all of these are VERY HIGH up on my list of why my GSIII will likely be going back and me waiting it out for the new iPhone.

Also you can't air print from the GS3 or get iCloud backups, which put your device EXACTLY like it was before you backed it up.

I just tried the top Android equivalent My Backup and it's a JOKE!!!

Bored as I am with iOS, it really is true; IT JUST WORKS!!!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You said a mouthful here sir, as all of these are VERY HIGH up on my list of why my GSIII will likely be going back and me waiting it out for the new iPhone.

Also you can't air print from the GS3 or get iCloud backups, which put your device EXACTLY like it was before you backed it up.

You can do full backups in android and there are plenty of wireless printing programs. Samsung probably included one with the s3.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010

Yea my backup sucks but a nandroid backup image is better than anything ios has to offer. It's all about choices with Android.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Use Samsung Easy Phone Sync to help you switch from iOS to a Galaxy device.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...nc_helps_users_switch_from_ios_to_galaxy.html

Its not true about Air Print. Look into "google print" from the play store. You can print to any print that's connected to your desktop or laptop.

For app backups use Titanium Backup. Did you try that since its the premium backup for apps.

Clockwork Mod Recovery is the premium backup for device back ups.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
This!

Also - Rooting compared to Jailbreaking is much harder. There are SO many versions of Android it's un true. Cydia also had its uses along with the apps inside it.

The ONLY thing I prefer on my S2 is the screen size. That's it.
Contacts app is crap. Messaging app is crap. Settings UI is crap. LOADS of useless bloatware apps pre installed.

Why did I ever jump ship ;)

You have got to be kidding. Rooting is so easy. And you can do it on any version . You dont have to wait for the 3 man Dev team to come up with a jailbreak when the phone gets an update. Not sure why you had trouble with it. Its pretty easy man.
Seems there arent many people here posting in this thread that spent much time with an Android and the OP isnt getting much good feedback. Anytime you have spent years on one system, it will be an adjustment to another. The key is sticking with it for a good time to figure it out.

I have no issues getting things on my GS3 or any other Android ive had. Music is easy to load on it.
Personally i hated iTunes and glad i dont have to use it.
I find it funny that some are naming the silence button as a great thing you will miss. How lazy are some of you? Hold in the power button and the silence option comes up. So you have to look at your phone...OMG :rolleyes:

The silence button also breaks. Mine did.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You'd miss the amazing customer support / care for hardware and software, speed / fluidity of entire OS, high quality apps, ease of use, high quality, timely, and consistent updates.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

----------

You dont even need that. Ive never rooted using Odin but it is another easy way to do it.

Actually that isnt true, all of that comes with the ROM and the ROM usually Roots your phone as well if it isnt rooted already. If you want to change the kernal, that is up to you. You dont even have to use Odin to install a ROM. I never have. Ive only used Odin to put my Vibrant back to stock like it was out of the box.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

Titanium Backup Pro, Clock Work Recov etc.... titanium rocks and you can set it for automated backups, think I set mine for 2 or 3am everyday. And I print wirelessly all the time with my GSII.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
No tap to top? That's a big one for me. Are there any tweaks you can add to Android to give you tap to top? It's such a handy little feature, and one that would make me think twice about switching from iOS.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
In not sure what the fuss is about when it comes to muting the phone, all one has to do is pull down notifications to use the choice of mute or vibrate.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
biggest thing i'd miss is the ability to connect to my car's USB port for music

otherwise, icloud is so so. siri sucks. don't care about airprint, don't even own a printer. and i wouldn't pay a premium for one with airprint if i did.

someone i know just got the Galaxy 3 and it's a very nice piece of hardware

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
No tap to top? That's a big one for me. Are there any tweaks you can add to Android to give you tap to top? It's such a handy little feature, and one that would make me think twice about switching from iOS.

You can just throw your finger up twice real quick. Android scrolling is much more inertial than iOS scrolling. Its very easy to scroll down a long page in android compared to iOS as when you let go it scrolls a lot further.

By the way if you get an s3 this feature is available in the stock system.
samsung-galaxy-s3-tap-top.png

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You can just throw your finger up twice real quick. Android scrolling is much more inertial than iOS scrolling. Its very easy to scroll down a long page in android compared to iOS as when you let go it scrolls a lot further.

It won't scroll in all apps though. For example, it doesn't scroll in the web browser.

It mainly only scrolls in pure list apps like the settings.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
You have got to be kidding. Rooting is so easy. And you can do it on any version . You dont have to wait for the 3 man Dev team to come up with a jailbreak when the phone gets an update. Not sure why you had trouble with it. Its pretty easy man.
Seems there arent many people here posting in this thread that spent much time with an Android and the OP isnt getting much good feedback. Anytime you have spent years on one system, it will be an adjustment to another. The key is sticking with it for a good time to figure it out.

Waiting for a dev team to release something doesn't make it difficult.

Look here for the process of rooting

For first time rooters this is a mine field compared to jailbreaking which only requires the latest jailbreak program.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
To the OP, if you have a mac, re consider buying an android phone. I hated iPhone too because i use a PC. There is the big problem for me. Since Apple wants you to use all their products, they have made iOS and OS X integration so much better that unless you try it you don't know what you are missing.

Case in point, i was complaining to one of my friends about having to manage my photo albums through iTunes to load on the iPhone and how painful it was. He proceeded to show me how easy it was to do using iPhoto on his mac. Day and night difference.

I am not planning to buy a mac soon, hence that is out of question for me. While i am happy with my GS3, i am very eagerly looking forward for windows 8 and windows phone 8 to come out. Having a PC alternative to the mac and iPhone integrated environment is very appealing and one of the selling points of WP8 for me. Plus the fact i already like how responsive my samsung focus is compared to the stuttering GS3 at times, and that sort of seals the deal.

Camera is great on most of the Android phones, even bether then Iphone ! :p

Having used many flagship androids, i would not say most. One X and GS3 along with GS2 bring a good camera, but the iPhone 4S camera is no slouch and hard to beat. Don't forget they share the same sony sensor but it is the image processing that counts after.

----------

It is no where as universal as in iOS. I can tap on statusbar on the iPhone and no matter what app i am in, it will always scroll to the top. On the GS3 this is limited to the contacts and email app so far from what i have tested. Pretty disappointed to not see it working OS wide and in all the apps, especially in browsers. Another half-done job.

----------

How lazy are some of you? Hold in the power button and the silence option comes up. So you have to look at your phone...OMG :rolleyes:

The silence button also breaks. Mine did.

Honestly, the silent button implementation is better. You might want to think that people are lazy to prefer it but i now own a GS3, and have owned many symbian phones in the past, and the one thing i hate is having to mute by mashing on the volume controls. Flicking a switch is simple, to the point, and you get used to it fast.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, the silent button implementation is better. You might want to think that people are lazy to prefer it but i now own a GS3, and have owned many symbian phones in the past, and the one thing i hate is having to mute by mashing on the volume controls. Flicking a switch is simple, to the point, and you get used to it fast.

Why don't you just put a silent toggle switch on one of your homescreens.

Some of you are making too big a deal of this. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.