Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
* Get rid of the desktop in WRT (and make Office proper touch-first apps)
* Switch to a common WP / WRT app store.
* Add a notification centre.
* Add system-wide dictionary lookup (like in iOS and OS X).
* Add password capture/complete to Internet Explorer.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Windows Phone - somehow get developers to magically create a few hundred thousand more apps and add features so that it resembles a modern smart phone OS. Currently it is the OS equivalent of IE6.

Windows RT - discontinue it completely as a failed project and focus development efforts on x86.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
* Get rid of the desktop in WRT (and make Office proper touch-first apps)
* Switch to a common WP / WRT app store.
* Add a notification centre.
* Add system-wide dictionary lookup (like in iOS and OS X).
* Add password capture/complete to Internet Explorer.

Office is becoming touch first soon, I think. I think Threshold is bringing a combined store. I can't say anything about notification centre, though I do know it is apparently coming to Windows Phone. And what do you mean about a password capture/complete? Is it the same as saving passwords and doing autocomplete?

----------

Windows Phone - somehow get developers to magically create a few hundred thousand more apps and add features so that it resembles a modern smart phone OS. Currently it is the OS equivalent of IE6.

Windows RT - discontinue it completely as a failed project and focus development efforts on x86.

I ... should have said I just wanted serious answers.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Office is becoming touch first soon, I think. I think Threshold is bringing a combined store. I can't say anything about notification centre, though I do know it is apparently coming to Windows Phone. And what do you mean about a password capture/complete? Is it the same as saving passwords and doing autocomplete?

I thought combined store was just conjecture at this point.
Yes, I mean saving passwords and doing an auto-complete.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I thought combined store was just conjecture at this point.
Yes, I mean saving passwords and doing an auto-complete.

Then that mist be a Windows Phone problem, because my RT does that.

As for the store, thing... I keep reading that it is something leaked that they plan to do in 2015 when they merge RT and Windows Phone.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Then I suppose you're going benefit when they end up merging the two operating systems?

At this point I use neither WP or WRT. I have tried WP, and I use W8 (x86) daily on my laptop - mainly in the desktop. I think a combined store will help the situation with the apps, and better apps is necessary for me to go back to WP8, and to try WRT.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I ... should have said I just wanted serious answers.

I am being completely serious about Windows RT. It is, and always was DOA. All the wishful thinking in the world won't change that.

They also lost their OEMs months back.

On Friday, Asus announced that it was pulling out of the Windows RT market. This follows the withdrawal of Samsung, HP, Lenovo, and HTC, leaving Dell as the sole third-party Windows RT OEM. ”It’s not only our opinion, the industry sentiment is also that Windows RT has not been successful,” Asus CEO Jerry Shen told the Wall Street Journal. The Taiwanese company will now only produce Windows 8 devices based on Intel’s x86 chips, which can run the complete library of Windows apps and games.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...mps-ship-leaving-just-a-single-windows-rt-oem

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Three things I want from WP are a notification center, a Siri/Google Now type personal assistant and folders on the start screen. The first two are supposed to be in the 8.1 update and the Nokia Black update has folders. I just left WP for Android, but hopefully I can switch back down the road.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Does the OS still take up half of the storage? Change that imo

Actually, the OS proper only takes up 7.35 GB on disk according to my Surface RT. That's the "Windows" folder for those of you who are unaware. Programs folder takes up another 800 MB, which is over half Office.

I am currently using a little over 6gb in my user folder and still have 13.3 GB.

That being said, it should be shrank as much as possible.

What would I bring to the table if I could change anything?

IE would be improved:
-Granular support of the TPL
-A lot of bug fixing (my tabs rearrange themselves, for example, and some just die. Other times, a tab becomes inactive for no reason)
-More speed, less resources. It uses a fairly low amount of RAM, but that should be lowered still. I don't know how to lower the RAM use or improve the speed, though. Maybe make GPU rendering more efficient?
-Click to Flash instead of an all or nothing approach

Make Office Touch
Combine the stores
Remove the desktop
Make the settings more robust on the Modern UI side
Fix your built in applications.

All of those are just basic run-throughs. Any specific question about what I mean will be answered.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
WinRT 8.1 did a great job in reducing the footprint of the system image on the C:. On my 32GB RT I have my full suite of apps that I use installed and have 15.9GB remaining free. During the black friday weekend sales, I picked up a 64GB microSD card for $32 to supplement storage.

I'd like to see MORE use of the desktop. Since the RT supports full keyboards and mice, it does a terrific job in working with the desktop... even on that 10" screen. The ability to connect an HDTV to it as a 2nd display (driven at full native resolution) is wonderful.

Having said that, I agree that there should be touch-versions of Office available.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It needs the ability to sideload programs and run third party desktop programs. There was a jailbreak of a sort for rt 8.0 that allowed desktop programs compiled on arm to be run. This allowed apps like 7zip etc to be run on rt.

I do think that the surface 2 should have gone bay trail, but I can see that microsoft is in a dilemma in that it would look bad if they flat out abandoned RT.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
WinRT 8.1 did a great job in reducing the footprint of the system image on the C:. On my 32GB RT I have my full suite of apps that I use installed and have 15.9GB remaining free. During the black friday weekend sales, I picked up a 64GB microSD card for $32 to supplement storage.

I'd like to see MORE use of the desktop. Since the RT supports full keyboards and mice, it does a terrific job in working with the desktop... even on that 10" screen. The ability to connect an HDTV to it as a 2nd display (driven at full native resolution) is wonderful.

Having said that, I agree that there should be touch-versions of Office available.

I hadn't thought of that.

It also brings up a problem I have with the desktop as it is now on RT... the keyboard is just so bad in comparison to everywhere else. I mean on-screen, of course.

It needs the ability to sideload programs and run third party desktop programs. There was a jailbreak of a sort for rt 8.0 that allowed desktop programs compiled on arm to be run. This allowed apps like 7zip etc to be run on rt.

I do think that the surface 2 should have gone bay trail, but I can see that microsoft is in a dilemma in that it would look bad if they flat out abandoned RT.

Sideloading apps might be decent, but it should obviously be off by default... right?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Why not just get a Bay trail tablet in these cases?

IMO Windows RT should be the completely legacy free version of Windows with no desktop and no desktop based settings or apps.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

IMO Windows RT should be the completely legacy free version of Windows with no desktop and no desktop based settings or apps.
You appear to be under the impression that "legacy = desktop". That is not true. The RT version of Office is currently a "desktop" app but it isn't "legacy" in that it is x86 code, it's not... it is ARM based.

The problem with Bay Trail devices is that they are generally unproven. Sure, technical specs look good, but there have been mixed reviews of how it holds up under a load. Also, there are issues with regard to legacy apps and their impact on battery life in "connected standby".

One of the nice things that WinRT brings is the ability to handle connected standby. It doesn't do it perfectly, but far better than legacy Win8.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
You appear to be under the impression that "legacy = desktop". That is not true. The RT version of Office is currently a "desktop" app but it isn't "legacy" in that it is x86 code, it's not... it is ARM based.

The problem with Bay Trail devices is that they are generally unproven. Sure, technical specs look good, but there have been mixed reviews of how it holds up under a load. Also, there are issues with regard to legacy apps and their impact on battery life in "connected standby".

One of the nice things that WinRT brings is the ability to handle connected standby. It doesn't do it perfectly, but far better than legacy Win8.

I know RT Office isn't x86. By legacy, I mean legacy interface (desktop, desktop based apps & settings). I just don't see the point of the ARM version of Windows doing this when the Intel versions provide this. I would prefer to see one version of Windows (RT) with a clean break from the past.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Three things I want from WP are a notification center, a Siri/Google Now type personal assistant and folders on the start screen. The first two are supposed to be in the 8.1 update and the Nokia Black update has folders. I just left WP for Android, but hopefully I can switch back down the road.

Windows 8.1 will be a godsend. Looking forward to seeing how Cortana measures up to Google Now and Siri, and how well M$ integrates the Notification Center. Folders is now an app, no need for the Black update for that, so that one is done.

The Notification Center, rich text notifications and lack of Google supported apps keep me from moving to WP completely. (Google+ passwords and Google app integration between iOS and Android allows me to switch back and forth on those two OS's very easily. I really hope Google does the same with WP at some point).

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york

Look at it this way, RT having the desktop today offers more benefits for the above casual user than not having it. For example:

Multitasking in the desktop is still more robust than metro. You can have multiple windows opens, documents, etc the way you're used to. Dock to a monitor and work on your Office, Outlook stuff. I like this.

Currently metro IE does not play audio/video in the background. But desktop IE does.

I have no doubt that the desktop will disappear from RT one day but I really would like an option to keep it, maybe like a download option.

(I know I could just get an x86 tablet but rt is just risk free as far viruses etc)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
They need to go small scale and not focus so much on gaining market share. Scale it down to one or two devices and make it very friendly to developers. Focus on the apps everyone wants - the social media ones and get on board early to the ones the teens like, even if they fail. They are bound to be successful that way, otherwise they will continue on this mediocre path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.