Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
They need to go small scale and not focus so much on gaining market share. Scale it down to one or two devices and make it very friendly to developers. Focus on the apps everyone wants - the social media ones and get on board early to the ones the teens like, even if they fail. They are bound to be successful that way, otherwise they will continue on this mediocre path.

This is a good point. I hate having the 520/521/522 numbers for different carriers. Just call it the 520. It will delete a lot of confusion. The updates for the upcoming Lumia Black list the 520 in some cases and not the 521 or 522, leading some people to think they aren't getting the update, when they actually area. Some people don't realize that the 520, 521 and 522 are the same phone, albeit with a minor change in the 521 to make it TMo 'special'.

We should simply have a 520 (entry level), 820 (mid-level), 920/925 (for a mid-high level) and a 1020 (Flagship). Separate out the phablet/tablet 1520/2520 as a different category all together. Or, allow for free licensing and let the Windows Phone OS completely fragment all over the place like Android and gain marketshare that way.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Windows 8.1 will be a godsend. Looking forward to seeing how Cortana measures up to Google Now and Siri, and how well M$ integrates the Notification Center. Folders is now an app, no need for the Black update for that, so that one is done.

The Notification Center, rich text notifications and lack of Google supported apps keep me from moving to WP completely. (Google+ passwords and Google app integration between iOS and Android allows me to switch back and forth on those two OS's very easily. I really hope Google does the same with WP at some point).

I agree. I can't wait to see it! I won't be getting another phone for a year and a half (maybe) so I'll be looking hard at WP again then.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I haven't used Xbox Music... what's wrong with it?
It's a pale imitation of the once great Zune music software. :(

The Zune (desktop) software is still available for download and is one of the reasons why I could consider ditching RT to buy a Surface Pro 2.

I've been virtually exclusively Apple for the last 4+ years but with a new job (very Windows-centric) I bought a Black Friday special notebook (a Lenovo pseudo-ultrabook)... one of the first apps I installed was the Zune software. After having my brain dulled by iTunes, I was immediately awakened and reminded of how excellent the Zune software was.

On iOS, Track 8 does an admirable job of capturing the feel of the Zune.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It's a pale imitation of the once great Zune music software. :(

The Zune (desktop) software is still available for download and is one of the reasons why I could consider ditching RT to buy a Surface Pro 2.

I've been virtually exclusively Apple for the last 4+ years but with a new job (very Windows-centric) I bought a Black Friday special notebook (a Lenovo pseudo-ultrabook)... one of the first apps I installed was the Zune software. After having my brain dulled by iTunes, I was immediately awakened and reminded of how excellent the Zune software was.

On iOS, Track 8 does an admirable job of capturing the feel of the Zune.

Okay, yes, but I consider the Zune software to be the best at what it did. It makes iTunes look like crap, both from an aesthetic and a functional point of view. Saying it's a pale imitation of one of Microsoft's best pieces of software doesn't say much. :p

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Okay, yes, but I consider the Zune software to be the best at what it did. It makes iTunes look like crap, both from an aesthetic and a functional point of view. Saying it's a pale imitation of one of Microsoft's best pieces of software doesn't say much. :p
LOL okay, you got me on that. :)

But XBox Music is from the SAME company that produced that stellar piece of software. Microsoft finally got it "right" and then they ditched it all (well, 90% of it anyways).

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
LOL okay, you got me on that. :)

But XBox Music is from the SAME company that produced that stellar piece of software. Microsoft finally got it "right" and then they ditched it all (well, 90% of it anyways).

It's a real shame. Sometimes I feel like they take two steps forward and one step back. Does anyone know why they didn't just throw Zune on the Modern UI and call it a day? They could have even renamed it Xbox Music if they wanted to, and then threw it onto the Xbox.

It has the right design ethos, Zune is where they came up with their tile UI and where Modern/Metro came from (I think).

DorisGreys

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
USA, California
I would add notification centre. Because it will be really useful for users. If you analyze market and competitive programs you will see that almost all programs have this quality.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Convergence of Metro

I know RT is already on 8.1 but looking at the rumoured features in the upcoming phone 8.1 update such as Cortana assistant and Notifications, it would be nice to see them on RT. Vice-Versa too, metro features on RT if pratical should make its way to its smaller sibling.

Loosen the Grip

While its not quite as tight as iOS, Windows Phone/RT err's to close to it for my tastes. I would like the ability to install desktop mode software, metro apps and drivers from outside the store.

Make more use of its IP

Software wise on RT i would say they are doing very decent job, you've got all what you would expect, ie, office, skydrive, RD,skype and you even have visual studio.

Gamewise they've been very lackluster and i feel they can be making much better use of their xbox brand. They're needs to be more games in the vein of Spartan assault where its developed for various OS's and platforms.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Get rid of RT and adapt WP to tablets or use AMD/Atom and use x86 windows.

Entice developers to write apps for WP. MS has deep pockets, perhaps cash incentives are in order. I don't know how anyone can be content with the current app situation. Nokia is the only one providing anything of value. Microsoft has been sitting on their hands for the past year and 8.1 isn't due until summer at the earliest. The only mainstream apps for the most part are Social Networking apps like instagram, facebook, twitter and vine. Yeah that's nice but there's more to smartphones than social networks. Oh, there's also weather channel and scorecenter.

After using iOS and Android for the past 5+ years using WP for the first time was refreshing but it quickly went sour after finding the things it still couldn't do.

I look forward to what 8.1 brings and hopefully the app situation gets better. Although that's what WP 7.5 was supposed to do, and then 8, so we'll see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.