Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what will be announced at Macworld San Francisco 2007?

• Leopard

Votes: 60 62.5%
  • new cinema displays

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • "true" video ipod/new ipod of some kind

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • tablet mac

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • revised desktops (mini, imac, mac pro)

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • revised laptops (macbook, macbook pro)

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • new form factor desktop (headless mac, etc..)

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • new form factor laptop (12" MBP, etc..)

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • iTV

Votes: 70 72.9%
  • updated software other than OSX

Votes: 58 60.4%
  • new software application

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • something entirely unexpected

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • "one more thing..."

Votes: 45 46.9%
  • iPhone

Votes: 52 54.2%

• Total voters

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
this could be a great Macworld coming up in January... what do you think is going to be announced? (select as many items as you think we will see)

(edit: i forgot the iPhone... can a mod add that in to the poll please?)
mod note: iPhone added

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well, no one really KNOWS... we just have guesses and hopes.

I'd like to see a more polished Leopard preview, hopefully with a less broken Finder (yeah right) and more consistant interface... maybe reveal some of those "top secret" features not discussed last time (if they even exist).

Beyond that... I dunno, the mythical widescreen video iPod and/or iPhone would be nice. More details on the iTV would be appreciated. There's tablet rumblings... can't see myself buying one, but it might be cool, though I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. ;)

paradillon

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2004
One more thing...

Large flat panel theater displays for the living room to hook your iTv to and run front row on.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Entire Mac line to Core2Duo (the mini) = Macs 64 bit...
Preview of Leopard and its 64 bitness...Leopard release date released

MacPro new options (more cores, blu ray, etc.).

iWork '07 with new Excel-killer (long shot on the killing part).

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
bt ipod w/ new bt headphones, going to start shipping 10.5 -- ismartphone, like sidekick that flips, but the keyboard is digital, and has built in universal remote to control everything in house, including ure macs and itv's and garages and lights and toilet??

shecky

Original poster
May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
other than iTV and at least a Leopard update if not a flat-out "its on sale on xyz day" announcement, i am not too sure about anything else. which is why i think it could be a really great Macworld.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
something unexpected... hopefully Leopard will be released and we will see all the secrets.

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
iTV, iLife & iWork 07', iPhone, and hopefully Cinema Displays with megapixel iSight HDMI (and change 23' to 24'!), but then again, it is MACworld so I'm really hoping for a matte black Mac Mini with dedicated graphics and 2.16Ghz C2D!!!

i think its gonna be a sweet macworld (and year) cos' the engineers have made the switch so can concentrate on other sweet stuff :-D

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I'm going to vote for iTV which still cant really be used in the uk due to movies not being available outside usa.

Probably an upgrade to core2duo for the mac mini, personally I would like to see superdrives all through the range too (come on its only about 10 quid difference :))

Also I would expect the option announced to make a build to order dual quad mac pro.

And the longshot - new tabletpc/pda/phone hybrid

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I reeeeally want a good iPhone. VideoiPod woudl be nice but I think they can afford to wait another 6 months before the Zune looks remotely like it's a threat to that... I'd love a big Apple TV too, but I'm just not so sure on the likelihood of that.

iLife '07 is likely I guess, iWork will probably be more interesting because it has more scope for adding apps etc. :D

I'm going to vote for iTV which still cant really be used in the uk due to movies not being available outside usa.

iTV uses Front Row right? FR can play QT movies. DVDs and Handbrake my friend, DVDs and Handbrake!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
No way Leopard will be finished by then...!

Steve's promised Mac OS X 10.x release dates are usually not far off (older builds were usually released a bit later..).
I fully expect 10.5 to be released April / May.

I do think, however, that Steve will announce that they are on schedule for a specific release date, and we shall be able to buy it at that date!

I expect some changes in the displays. Built-in iSight, and maybe the rumored 17".

iPod updates? Well, I wonder how Apple will make a "true" video iPod. Touch screen somehow doesn't feel right. A bit fragile... a bit too easy to make the screen dirty....

iLife '07? Or just a couple of smaller updates to the iApps of iLife '06, and a major update to iWeb: iWeb 2.0.
I hope iWeb will get the possibility of editing older sites (made in iWeb, or .mac) which are no longer existant on the Mac HD itself. So, iWeb would copy that "site" from the iDisk to the Mac HD, making it possible to edit, and re-publish.

iWork '07? ooooh... yes..... I surely hope so! Please give us that spreadsheet app, dear Steve!

Don't think we will see iMac / MacBook (Pro) updates @ MacWorld. We have seen Apple likes to update them quietly....
Unless.... unless.... there is a major form factor change. Then Steve will love to show it off on stage.
Who's up?
MacBook Pro? (PowerBook G4 aluminium)
iMac (iMac G5)

Can't wait till MWSF '07!!

:D :cool:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Maybe:
iPhone
New ACDs
iTV
Probably:
New C2D Mac Mini
Definitely:
iLife 07
iWork 07
Leopard preview with release date

As per normal I guess that we'll all be left with a sense of anti-climax :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
No Leopard at MWSF beyond a preview.

1. Apple will not announce the shipping date for Leopard at MWSF. Anybody who thinks that is kidding themselves.

Apple will announce the shipping date of Leopard ~2 weeks before it ships, as in the past, Macs purchased within this 2 week period will come under Apple's OSX upgrade policy which will allow users to send away for a free drop-in copy of Leopard.

There is no way Apple would extend this policy to the ~3 months till Leopard's March/April release date.

We will see a really big preview of the more consumer-focussed aspects of Leopard including all the big "Top Secret" features that have been held back from the developer builds.

Steve will simply commit to a release in the early part of the year, I still reckon very late March.

2. I think Apple may release a mobile phone at MWSF but I really hope it's not going to cow-tow to the US mobile phone industry where, from what I can gather on these forums, is behind in technology and the service providers rule on the features of the phones even to the extent of modifying the UI and access to phone hardware. That would suck.

3. iLife '07 will make it's debut with the usual raft of new features, hopefully there's no price increase a la iLife '06 - mind you, '06 did bring a whole new "i-App" so that price rise wasn't too bad.

4. I think we'll see a new, high-end iPod with a 640x368 widescreen with a fingerprint/scratch resistant screen and touch controls. This may or may not bear the iPod name and would be positioned above the current iPod in terms of price and abilities. Eventually it will become the regular iPod in much the same way the iPod photo did.

5. iWork will get the typical upgrades, new themes, new features, hopefully a performance update and possibly a spreadsheet application.

6. The "iTV" will either be formally named and released or nothing will be said about it - no middle ground there, Apple did something very un-Apple-like yet very smart in pre-announcing it but from then on it's all by the Apple rule book.

Random other things:

- iLife will get a long, drawn-out demo from Steve and Phil.

- A bunch of people from Adobe and MS will come onto stage and awkwardly declare their love of the Mac platform and the new Intel processors and that their products are on time for shipping later that year. They will both make jokes that die to the sound of an audience silently wishing Steve would just come on stage and get to the good stuff.

- The time taken for the first post after MWSF asking where they can buy Leopard and will iLife '07 come with Leopard will be 0.17 seconds. Beaten slightly by the first post whinging about the price/features/specs of whatever hardware was released.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
I'll say this.

This will be one ofthe biggest, best apple events ever.

It'll probably have major bombshells like WWDC'05, crazy new product announcements like MWSF 06, and stunts like that time when Phil Schiller jumped from the ceiling of the exhibition hall onto the stage with the iBook

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I'm suprised this thread isn't raging!! :confused:
It'll roar come January. And then it will consume our bodies, limp from all the orgasmic delights Steve will be pounding us with. :)

My guess we'll be seeing the rumoured iPhone, iLife 07 with Blu-ray/HD-DVD support, new Mac minis and, of course, iTV dubbed "CenterStage". Plus more movie studios will get on board with iTunes Store.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

iPhil

macrumors 68040
There is no way Apple would extend this policy to the ~3 months till Leopard's March/April release date.

We will see a really big preview of the more consumer-focussed aspects of Leopard including all the big "Top Secret" features that have been held back from the developer builds.

Steve will simply commit to a release in the early part of the year, I still reckon very late March.

3. iLife '07 will make it's debut with the usual raft of new features, hopefully there's no price increase a la iLife '06 - mind you, '06 did bring a whole new "i-App" so that price rise wasn't too bad.

- iLife will get a long, drawn-out demo from Steve and Phil.

- A bunch of people from Adobe and MS will come onto stage and awkwardly declare their love of the Mac platform and the new Intel processors and that their products are on time for shipping later that year. They will both make jokes that die to the sound of an audience silently wishing Steve would just come on stage and get to the good stuff.

- The time taken for the first post after MWSF asking where they can buy Leopard and will iLife '07 come with Leopard will be 0.17 seconds. Beaten slightly by the first post whinging about the price/features/specs of whatever hardware was released.

Question on 3) what price was it @ before iLife '06 ? :confused: :confused:

3.1) True :p :eek:

3.2) True again and telling us updates are complete ahead of scheduled on adobe products :D

3.3) i think it'll be 0.10 not 0.17 seconds on whining aspect

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
I would say that since the last big show was about the iPod, that will be the least of the excitement. This event will focus more on Leopard and Apple software.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Where is making fun of Vista and Zune on the list? :mad: :D

It's a good list. There are things on the list I don't see happening, but a lot I do expect. It's going to be a fun year to be a mac fan, particularly if you're thinking about upgrading.

Psssh, speaking of iTV, I cannot wait until I get the 50' VGA cable I just ordered... my iMac and my just-bought-last-week 32" hi-def LCD are close enough together that I have no need to wait for iTV. :D I'm gonna loving it! Two component inputs dedicated to my DVR and my DVD, one VGA dedicated to my Mac, and I haven't even touched the HDMI yet. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.