Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Ref: Severance tv show
Thanks. I just don’t know. The sequence when employees have official interactions where they sit down to be to told a list of good qualities that their “outties” (the other half of their existence) have was so laughable, and hard to believe this would be enough to be validated.

Think about it, your generous, you have good sex (really? :D) , ok, but my work self, the only existence I can currently remember, does not get to experience any of that, just non-stop work. I wonder just how compromised these psyches are? My impression is enough to go a bit (maybe totally) bonkers because living a perceived half a life to the psyche of a human brain would, as I imagine it, be extremely detrimental. 🤔
It may not be a show for you. If so, that's okay.

Reactions: Huntn

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Starting the HBO original series The Last of Us based on the video game series of the same name. I tried playing the game once, but never finished it because survival horror isn't really my jam. I liked the Netflix adaptation of Resident Evil, so I'm hoping I'll like this too.
View attachment 2142847
I was skeptical when they first announced this series over a year ago, not anymore. Two episodes in, this is absolutely brilliant! I played the game 10 years ago like many (on an the 'ancient' PS3 which was incredible for that console...then again "remastered" on PS4) so I know what's coming.

The transformation from the video game into series - with additional backstory, slight changes is amazing.

I hear ya myscrnnm, I never saw The Walking Dead, World War Z (did see I Am Legend though and liked it) the zombie genre is honestly not my thing. The TLOU video game DID hook me however.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tehran (2020-) Excellent Israeli espionage series, Israel vs Iran. I’m half way through season 1.

1E995FD2-73A7-44AB-9F72-CCF89778550E.jpeg

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
We usually work our way through a comedy series over weekday dinner.

Have so far finished:

- The Office (US)
- Brooklyn nine-nine
- Schitts Creek

Have just started Arrested Development.

Any recommendations to follow this?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

Have so far finished:

- The Office (US)
- Brooklyn nine-nine
- Schitts Creek

• BARRY
  • Succession
  • Pokerface
are well written, acted, cinemaphotgraphy and excellent, creative humor,
enjoy!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
462BEE64-F710-48F9-8529-E2FBC6D5A31F.jpeg

Mosquito Coast (Apple+ 2021-2023)- Walked into this blind, watched the first 2 episodes and I start out by wondering, why am I watching this family (2 adults, 2 children)? However, I quickly picked up that they are living off the grid in California’s Central Valley near Stockton, the father is technically brilliant, kids don’t watch TV, they get in trouble for using the phone, but then you hear about 9 identities. The NSA appears, and soon after that, there is what quickly turns into a dangerous road trip. Thumbs up so far. :D
…There is a movie too that came before this, did not watch.

Reactions: MBAir2010

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
View attachment 2160739

Mosquito Coast (Apple+ 2021-2023)- Walked into this blind, watched the first 2 episodes and I start out by wondering, why am I watching this family (2 adults, 2 children)? However, I quickly picked up that they are living off the grid in California’s Central Valley near Stockton, the father is technically brilliant, kids don’t watch TV, they get in trouble for using the phone, but then you hear about 9 identities. The NSA appears, and soon after that, there is what quickly turns into a dangerous road trip. Thumbs up so far. :D
…There is a movie too that came before this, did not watch.

I endured both seasons... IMO, was slow moving, predictable, and really kind of a major let-down for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I endured both seasons... IMO, was slow moving, predictable, and really kind of a major let-down for me.
Ref Mosquito Coast- 4 episodes in and it’s holding our interest. As far as slow as a personal standard, I can handle slow if characters and situations are interesting, getting involved with what looked to be a cartel and the misgivings of the daughter is interesting. In advance I was thinking that the setting was going to be at a destination of some sort with mosquitos ;) So I was surprised and pleased that most of S1 so far is the journey and for myself, I’ve not found the journey or the choices made to be predictable.

I don’t think the lead character Allie is a bad person, but the 2 Hispanics, in making choices he thought best served his family, not that he planned it this way, but he…
ruin their lives encouraging them to break the law. I was a little surprised how well they made out with the 3 militia men along the border. Btw, the idea of militia functioning as law enforcement irritates me. No political comment, please,

If you watched it, I’d be curious what you thought of Station 11, which was slow, and during one significant action event it was abbreviated, so the audience could not see it, and was all about character relationships in a post-apocalyptic world, but at the end, I felt like I had watched something special. :)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I just watched the first 3 episodes of the Jason Segel Harrison Ford show, Shrinking.

It's just so cringe inducing. Jason Segel really comes off as obnoxious and cartoonish. I'm not sure it would have been saved with a different actor, but you just don't believe he is a father with a teenage daughter and is a therapist. In fact you don't believe his female colleague is either. Harrison Ford carries the acting part of the show. I know it's supposed to be a little like Ted Lasso, which is also super cringe, but it has none of the charm of that show and I think that comes down to the actors a fair bit.

This feels like it wants to be like Californication without anything that made that show so successful. For starters, a likeable lead. And I did enjoy Jason Segel in HiMYM.

Reactions: Huntn

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

Have so far finished:

- The Office (US)
- Brooklyn nine-nine
- Schitts Creek

I won't mention Married with Children, Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld as i'll assume you've seen the three greatest sitcoms ever made... in my opinion!

I'll go to late 90s early 2000s as it's been long enough to have forgotten some of these shows.

The King of Queens (The leads work incredibly well together & Jerry Stiller will always be one of the best)
Just Shoot Me (Some really great actors in this and they don't pull any punches)
Everybody Loves Raymond (His humor is easy to enjoy in a sitcom format)
Rules of Engagement (some ex Seinfeld writers worked on it)
The IT Crowd (One of the best Brit Sitcoms of all time. They always go for the laughs)

These all work great for weekday dinner viewing as they are all about the laughs in 99 percent of their episodes (KoQs goes serious for one or two episodes). None of them are what you'd call clever sitcoms apart from IT Crowd, but they are entertaining and easy to watch with some pretty good writing.

Reactions: Hallstar

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ref Mosquito Coast- 4 episodes in and it’s holding our interest. As far as slow as a personal standard, I can handle slow if characters and situations are interesting, getting involved with what looked to be a cartel and the misgivings of the daughter is interesting. In advance I was thinking that the setting was going to be at a destination of some sort with mosquitos ;) So I was surprised and pleased that most of S1 so far is the journey and for myself, I’ve not found the journey or the choices made to be predictable.

I don’t think the lead character Allie is a bad person, but the 2 Hispanics, in making choices he thought best served his family, not that he planned it this way, but he…
ruin their lives encouraging them to break the law. I was a little surprised how well they made out with the 3 militia men along the border. Btw, the idea of militia functioning as law enforcement irritates me. No political comment, please,

If you watched it, I’d be curious what you thought of Station 11, which was slow, and during one significant action event it was abbreviated, so the audience could not see it, and was all about character relationships in a post-apocalyptic world, but at the end, I felt like I had watched something special. :)
Ref: Mosquito Coast- Fnished Season 1, once the family starts to run, the last 2/3 of the season, is definitely not slow, nor predictable imo, but I don’t demand agreement. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ref: Mosquito Coast- Fnished Season 1, once the family starts to run, the last 2/3 of the season, is definitely not slow, nor predictable imo, but I don’t demand agreement. :)
Mosquito Coast- 2 Seasons finished the series, thumbs up with caveats.
  • Some call it slow, at times it falls into a family drama/character development mode. Season 1 moves well, Season 2 builds and you realize the safe haven Alli hopes to find for his family is not what he hoped for.
  • The reason they find themselves on the run is revealed at the start of Season 2
  • What happens is explosive, some might say narratively convenient, even far fetched, but I could buy it. :D
Invasion (Apple TV 2022)- 5 episodes in, slow but well done, lots of character development. It tells the story from 5 personal perspectives around the world (Oklahoma, Long Island, UK possibly Scotland, Tokyo, and a US soldier and his unit in Afghanistan, hence it’s slowness. It takes 5 out of 10 episodes for an official announcement abiut “them” to be made. What I’ve see of the aliens so far is riveting. Apple has renewed the series.

As I’ve said, in any alien invasion story 3 possibilities:
  • Be our friends
  • Make us their slave,
  • Eat us or wipe us out. 🤔

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished Invasion, and in a nutshell despite having some great, but too brief moments, it relies too much on human emotion and contemplation, a ton of long shots of people’s faces as they contemplate their lives, and a wide variety of emotions, about what they should have done, who they miss, or working out, what is what and consequentially the story progression and because the story is split among 3 primary stories, you get little bits of each story as it jumps around frequentl adding to the feeling of slow. From a suspenseful action standpoint, the best single episode was episode 6 Home Invasion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Downton Abbey- Good human drama series on PBS, Masterpiece theater about a pre-WWI English family (titled) and their servants. Part 4 was this last Sunday. According to IMBD it was first shown in Oct 2010. Don't know if it is available on demand.

The other shows I am currently watching are:
Big Love- Watching the Hendricks come apart. (last season HBO)
Dexter- show is on hiatus. Has held my interest over the years. (Showtime)
True Blood- I'm watching but disappointed in this series as compared to the books.
Boardwalk Empire- show on hiatus. Good enough to watch.
Modern Family- Pretty good replacement for Everyone Loves Raymond. :)

Thinking about:
V- I'm mulling over if I should give it a second chance. (ABC)
Walked in the room today and found my wife had started Downton Abbey from the beginning, 13 years later. Caught a few episodes and am reminded just how good this is, if you like period dramas. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finishing up The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 5, the final season, this has been a great show, comedy, with dramatic elements, outstanding nostalgic quality, we’ll miss it.
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (2017-) Just finished season 3. This is one of the best (comedy/drama)shows on Amazon Prime, about a 1960s New York City Jewish housewife who discovers she has a talent for adult standup comedy. Great characters, smart dialog, outstanding cinematography, I feel transported back to 60s, even though I was a kid then. :) Lenny Bruce is portrayed in it. It really impresses me, when I watch a show and it feels like I’m watching someone’s life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.