Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What a rip off. Christmas cards are too damned expensive, I’m talking about individual Hallmark cards. Fight the Capitalists! :)

Yeah, we're really into Christmas - but - we do __not__ send cards.

Honestly, the worst are the pre generated ones people drop from an internet service, it's basically junk mail :p
[automerge]1576778816[/automerge]
So much on my mind:

Got some beautiful outdoor Christmas decorations from Wayfare, maybe some pics at some point ...

Stoked for our 5 day getaway to Universal, weather looks "iffy", but it's FL, so things can change hour-to-hour

Something new, crazy AYCE brunch at the Hard Rock (where we're staying), including endless mimosa/bloody mary, I'm thinking Sunday at the parks will be crazy (in the best possible way) :D

So much code delivered, Dec should be nuts :D

New H-pipe (removing resonator from my ride) OTW!

Can't wait to play Mansions of Madness over Christmas break

The Christmas turkey is a beast, good lord, hahaha, we'll be eating turkey for a month! :oops:

__Finally__ sorted out the last of my parent(s) business/estate/etc., thankfully it's finally behind me, no sadness, just relief.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I used to send cards -- commercial ones and then for a few years photo cards which I designed and printed myself, then back to using the commercial ones, but now I don't bother, I just email and text family and friends as Christmas grows closer. D.T., I agree about those pre-generated e-cards that some people send.... UGH!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We don’t. We keep it at a reasonable temperature. We used to have a number of very vocal women who wouldn’t let it ever go on.
So we put a rule in place that only managers could put it on and at what temperature. Then I bought a thermostat and just put it in when it hits 25. I’d rather it went on at about 22. But I’m sensitive to others needs.
In the summer when it’s 96F (35C) outside, I set the temp to 75F (24C) during the day because the AC is running enough to keep the humidity low and the temp feels comfortable during the day, and down to 72F (22C) at night. In the Winter, I keep the temp in a range 65-71F. My thermostat has a dual heat and cool setting range.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I used to send cards -- commercial ones and then for a few years photo cards which I designed and printed myself, then back to using the commercial ones, but now I don't bother, I just email and text family and friends as Christmas grows closer. D.T., I agree about those pre-generated e-cards that some people send.... UGH!!!

We got one once that actually said, "To our good friends", I mean, it didn't even have our name on the card, hahaha ...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What about the cards that have glitter all over them? I just got one today. I hate that since the crap gets everywhere.

Dude, you would've lost it, we got this lighted reindeer, I mean, they're beautiful, but during unpacking / assembly the TV floor was like an explosion at the glitter factory. :p Then it got all in the kitchen someone, it was on my, the wife ...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
In the summer when it’s 96F (35C) outside, I set the temp to 75F (24C) during the day because the AC is running enough to keep the humidity low and the temp feels comfortable during the day, and down to 72F (22C) at night. In the Winter, I keep the temp in a range 65-71F. My thermostat has a dual heat and cool setting range.

In the summer here, the mean temperature at night outside is about 55ºF (so the low side of that average is what unfortunately makes it a tad too chilly for eggplant even to set fruit some years). Anyway I often open the windows to grab that coolness overnight and be able to lock it in for awhile in the daytime, so I therefore tend to set the thermostat in winter to 54-55F for the overnight unless it's really going to be sub-zero, like 20 below, in which case I nudge it up a bit and open the kitchen base cabinets on the north side to make sure the water feeds that run along the inside of the wall there don't set up lol.

In the daytimes here in summer say after 10am to nightfall, outside temps tend to run from 60-75. I actually do like the low end of that range so usually keep the thermostat at 60-62ºF in winter during the days. I start complaining when ambient temperature gets much over 75ºF no matter the season. I do wear wool sweaters though in winter and have dual-layer thermals on under my day wear, so it's not like my body figures it's 60º around me in the living room or kitchen, more like 72 probably. Wool is amazingly warm and the dual-layer cotton and wool thermals are wonderful.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I, too, like to keep my house fairly cool at night and in wintertime turn the thermostat down to 62 degrees and stay nice and warm under my duvet. When it is going to be in the teens or lower, I open the doors on the kitchen cabinets so that hopefully the pipes will not freeze; the kitchen sink and plumbing are on an outside wall. During the daytime in winter I usually have the temperature at around 69 degrees, and since I wear a cozy camisole under whatever shirts, sweaters or tops I'm dressed in, I'm pretty comfortable. When I was a little girl, I hated wearing an undershirt, but now I really appreciate the extra warmth it can provide!
[automerge]1576790470[/automerge]
Not too fond of glitter here, either, and I have a special Christmas bowl that I use for Christmas cards and such so that any glitter on cards falls into the bowl, not on the furniture or my floors. When I open cards I'm careful, too, to do it over a waste basket just in case the card is glittery. This year so far I haven't gotten many cards -- not surprising since I no longer send cards out!

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Normally, I'm not too bothered about sending cards (as I rarely send any) or receiving them; however, this year, with the anniversary of my mum's death occurring immediately before Christmas, I am exceptionally grateful for the kindness of anyone who chose to remember this and who therefore, decided to send me cards.

Even e-cards and glitter are forgiven this year, and not greeted with my more usual grumble.

All cards were welcomed, with gratitude; this is one instance, where the thought behind the card (usually kindly meant) is what matters.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In the summer here, the mean temperature at night outside is about 55ºF (so the low side of that average is what unfortunately makes it a tad too chilly for eggplant even to set fruit some years). Anyway I often open the windows to grab that coolness overnight and be able to lock it in for awhile in the daytime, so I therefore tend to set the thermostat in winter to 54-55F for the overnight unless it's really going to be sub-zero, like 20 below, in which case I nudge it up a bit and open the kitchen base cabinets on the north side to make sure the water feeds that run along the inside of the wall there don't set up lol.

In the daytimes here in summer say after 10am to nightfall, outside temps tend to run from 60-75. I actually do like the low end of that range so usually keep the thermostat at 60-62ºF in winter during the days. I start complaining when ambient temperature gets much over 75ºF no matter the season. I do wear wool sweaters though in winter and have dual-layer thermals on under my day wear, so it's not like my body figures it's 60º around me in the living room or kitchen, more like 72 probably. Wool is amazingly warm and the dual-layer cotton and wool thermals are wonderful.
I love cool weather, and like it when sweats are comfortable in the house 65-70 F range.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
With the glitter I find a damp kitchen paper towel helps clean everything up. What's on my mind is how I haven't fallen ill this year. It's remarkable. I've been around coughing and sneezing people for weeks now. Maybe a slight throat tickle, but it goes away.

Perhaps I've finally become invincible. Ought to go out and find a mountain lion to wrestle.

• Haha

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
With the glitter I find a damp kitchen paper towel helps clean everything up. What's on my mind is how I haven't fallen ill this year. It's remarkable. I've been around coughing and sneezing people for weeks now. Maybe a slight throat tickle, but it goes away.

Perhaps I've finally become invincible. Ought to go out and find a mountain lion to wrestle.
Or go hang gliding. Without the hang glider.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Or go hang gliding. Without the hang glider.

We need an EEK reaction emoticon. "Wow" doesn't cut it!

Good idea for the glitter patrol. I have forced air heat, so really I don't like that glitter junk falling out of a card and getting tracked around to end up in the furnace filter, the bottoms of my socks and then the washing machine, etc. I should open cards over a wet paper towel on the kitchen counter!

On the germs exchange: I was surprised to realize I haven't had a cold all season so far either. Was joking with a friend about how maybe having adopted a snappy refrigerator magnet that says "Quilting Forever, Housework Whenever" is responsible for some unknown quantity of boost to my immune system. By that I mean that I couldn't quite grow carrots on my kitchen floor last week before I washed it, but I had actually noticed it needed a good scrubbing about a week before I made time to do it. Meanwhile I'd had boxes delivered by assorted couriers and then dragged into the kitchen to be opened, and grocery bags and their contents also all contributing to the general micro-ambience of that kitchen.

I think there's something about a five-second rule for whether it's ok to eat something you drop on your kitchen floor as long as it's not butter-side-down lol. I assume it's a made-up number, but maybe not. Anyway last week I figured five seconds on that floor and the next stop would have to be the trash bin.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Everyone has been sick at work and I’m desperately hoping to avoid it.
I hate being ill. Especially when our house is a renovation project at the moment. We only have one usable room and soooo much to do. At least I have some time off coming up.
Working Monday and Tuesday next week.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday the following week.

Reactions: 0388631

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm hoping I have a safe drive to the movie theater tonight. I live very rural, so it's about 50 miles to the nearest theater. And here's hoping I'm not disappointed by Rise of the Skywalker!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm hoping I have a safe drive to the movie theater tonight. I live very rural, so it's about 50 miles to the nearest theater. And here's hoping I'm not disappointed by Rise of the Skywalker!
I’m not that bad but have just moved to the country. Think I’ll wait and stream it as I hate going to the cinema.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.