Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeah I grew up in Northern Wi, but after working in sawmill & foundry jobs for a few years couldn’t wait to gtfo and at 17 moved out to the southwest, drifted all over Co to Ca for a few decades, and only ended up back here to see off my granparents generation. After not living through winters for so long, I’ve come to enjoy the snow & ice now as a sort of novelty, but this year…. Man what a mess, we had fall straight through winter, a brutal winter compressed into 2.5 days, then into spring for a couple months, all the animals come out confused af, and then that march kick in the face freezes then all to death for a couple days, & now a summer day, a snow day, and a warm spring rain in three days, and we still might get 7 more inches of snow tomorrow. I either need to move to Santa Fe or Yellowknife.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Last week, after visiting Target and finding my second favorite potato chips to be on sale at 2 for US$7.00, if you buy two, I went online to my favorite snack company.

I ordered a few bags of Grandma Utz potato chips, hand-cooked in lard, and some cheese sauce for tortilla chips. They arrived today and I'm in a better mood.

I went to order some Korean stew base and there doesn't seem to be any available from my usual source online and without a car, the 60 mile trip is going to be a long walk.

I'm still in a better mood, though.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Apparently the Francis Scott Key Bridge is ‘closed to traffic’ after it was hit by a ship.
Would it be possible to get a more understated understatement in any circumstances???????

Reactions: Herdfan

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The DC area has certainly had an extraordinary "up" and (not quite DC, but close to home anyway!), and our near neighbor, Baltimore, has been grappling with a tragic "down" quite recently.....

First, the exciting, fantastic news: the new reigning World Champion in Figure Skating for 2024, announced on Saturday, is Ilia Malinin, a brilliant young figure skater born and raised right here in Fairfax County, Virginia, who executed not only the four quadruple jumps for which he is already known and called "the Quad God," but he tossed in a couple more as well -- an astonishing feat. SIX quadruple jumps -- no one has ever done this before.

The not-so-good, and indeed extraordinary and tragic, news comes from our neighboring city, Baltimore, MD, when about an hour after midnight 03/26/2024 a cargo ship unexpectedly lost power and crashed into a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which then horrifyingly, all-too-rapidly collapsed into the water. Unfortunately at the time, there were eight workers on the bridge doing repairs; two of them were rescued, and now, hours later, after all search-and-rescue efforts failed, the others have now been declared dead. For the city of Baltimore, its citizens and its nearby neighbors, this is a devastating situation.

The bridge was a major conduit to traffic going around (rather than into inner city) Baltimore, and also served as an access to the Port of Baltimore, where many cruise ships come-and-go throughout each calendar year. Needless to say, normal activities in that immediate area have come to a halt and it will be quite a while before there is restoration to the bridge.

Some days bring us delightful surprises, other days bring us shocking and very, very sad news.....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The DC area has certainly had an extraordinary "up" and (not quite DC, but close to home anyway!), and our near neighbor, Baltimore, has been grappling with a tragic "down" quite recently.....

First, the exciting, fantastic news: the new reigning World Champion in Figure Skating for 2024, announced on Saturday, is Ilia Malinin, a brilliant young figure skater born and raised right here in Fairfax County, Virginia, who executed not only the four quadruple jumps for which he is already known and called "the Quad God," but he tossed in a couple more as well -- an astonishing feat. SIX quadruple jumps -- no one has ever done this before.

The not-so-good, and indeed extraordinary and tragic, news comes from our neighboring city, Baltimore, MD, when about an hour after midnight 03/26/2024 a cargo ship unexpectedly lost power and crashed into a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which then horrifyingly, all-too-rapidly collapsed into the water. Unfortunately at the time, there were eight workers on the bridge doing repairs; two of them were rescued, and now, hours later, after all search-and-rescue efforts failed, the others have now been declared dead. For the city of Baltimore, its citizens and its nearby neighbors, this is a devastating situation.

The bridge was a major conduit to traffic going around (rather than into inner city) Baltimore, and also served as an access to the Port of Baltimore, where many cruise ships come-and-go throughout each calendar year. Needless to say, normal activities in that immediate area have come to a halt and it will be quite a while before there is restoration to the bridge.

Some days bring us delightful surprises, other days bring us shocking and very, very sad news.....
I've used that bridge just once.

When driving from Philadelphia to DC, I'd take U.S. 1 to Belair and take I-695 west to I-95 and then, to I-495 around DC. One time, I wanted to see the other side of Baltimore and went the opposite direction on I-695. That ride seemed to take forever, probably because of traffic, although I've taken the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel out of Norfolk, VA to the DelMarVa peninsula on the way back to Philly, also, and that was foggy.

I can only imagine the effect on the commute.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, I-695 is the "Baltimore Beltway" and a lot of people use it to get to the areas of Baltimore that are outside of the Inner Harbor area and downtown Baltimore. plus the Port of Baltimore.

This seems to have been a bad year for major highways around cities: not all that long ago LA had a similar problem with one of their most heavily-commuted routes, too, and it tied up traffic for quite a while.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, I-695 is the "Baltimore Beltway" and a lot of people use it to get to the areas of Baltimore that are outside of the Inner Harbor area and downtown Baltimore. plus the Port of Baltimore.

This seems to have been a bad year for major highways around cities: not all that long ago LA had a similar problem with one of their most heavily-commuted routes, too, and it tied up traffic for quite a while.
Los Angeles traffic is tied up even when things work well and all the roads are usable.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Hey, y'all! Haven't logged in here for at least two weeks—I have some catching up to do for sure! I'm doing well, but things just got super busy at the end of the term, then I was in Scandinavia for spring break, and now I'm finally "home" (well, back at the dorm). I was only using my phone for the past two weeks (I didn't bring a computer), and I swear I almost forgot how to type on a regular keyboard lol. It took like seven tries to put my Mac password in.

So what about that trip Scandinavia? That sounds interesting, so tell us some more about that?

Reactions: rm5

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Los Angeles traffic is tied up even when things work well and all the roads are usable.

Yes, certainly true for most of us.....but I remember working on a design project with a Korean firm that sent some of its team from Seoul to work directly with us here in Los Angeles. They absolutely LOVED our freeways.

"So easy and you can go everywhere" they said with much enthusiasm after some recreational freeway drives in their free time while here.

Later in the project some of us went to Seoul to work with them for a while, and I learned that they were were right...at least in comparison to what their traffic was like in Seoul.

Reactions: bousozoku

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

Aside from the highway, there are I think 40 container ships stuck in the harbor. They won't be able to leave until the bridge is removed from the water.

And no new ones can come in.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So what about that trip Scandinavia? That sounds interesting, so tell us some more about that?
Yeah, so I went with my dad and brother (mom had to work, unfortunately) to Copenhagen, and then we went up to Sweden. Was a lot of fun! I would say as a tourist, I enjoyed it a lot more than Paris or Madrid (the latter of which I only spent a very short time in, back in 2018).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, certainly true for most of us.....but I remember working on a design project with a Korean firm that sent some of its team from Seoul to work directly with us here in Los Angeles. They absolutely LOVED our freeways.

"So easy and you can go everywhere" they said with much enthusiasm after some recreational freeway drives in their free time while here.

Later in the project some of us went to Seoul to work with them for a while, and I learned that they were were right...at least in comparison to what their traffic was like in Seoul.
I've never been to Seoul, but I swear in Tokyo, it's faster to walk than to drive.

Trains are the best transportation option, ever.

Reactions: Macky-Mac

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Not in the UK. Here you will find your train has been at worst cancelled, at best replaced by a bus replacement service!
I'm not too surprised. The best train in the UK is going to Hogwarts. It always works.

Japan's trains are a model of efficiency.

I've used local/regional trains in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, and Philadelphia. None are great but they're still going most of the time. In my childhood, we traveled hundreds of miles by train and my grandfather worked for that train company.

Here, you're lucky if the bus shows up. I've been using Uber to go to work and I walk home. My Uber ride is a third of my daily pay right now.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm not too surprised. The best train in the UK is going to Hogwarts. It always works.

Japan's trains are a model of efficiency.

I've used local/regional trains in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, and Philadelphia. None are great but they're still going most of the time. In my childhood, we traveled hundreds of miles by train and my grandfather worked for that train company.

Here, you're lucky if the bus shows up. I've been using Uber to go to work and I walk home. My Uber ride is a third of my daily pay right now.
Could you get a bike? Paying a third of your daily rate sounds like a lot to me.

Mind you if I calculate the depreciation on my car I’m probably paying more!

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
My Uber ride is a third of my daily pay right now.

My daughter works with a guy who was using Uber to get to and from work. She worked out a deal with him since he lives on her way, she gives him rides and he gives her $20 per day. Saves him 3X that and it pays for her gas.

Reactions: Chuckeee

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
My Uber ride is a third of my daily pay right now.
Oh my goodness!
My daughter works with a guy who was using Uber to get to and from work. She worked out a deal with him since he lives on her way, she gives him rides and he gives her $20 per day. Saves him 3X that and it pays for her gas.
I absolutely hate Uber. I have nothing against the drivers, cause they're all nice people in my experience, but the service itself is just not good.

Getting an Uber ride to the airport (which is about 3 miles away) cost me $40. I understand that these people need to get paid, and I'm happy to pay them, but that seems like way too much for a 10-minute trip.

Then, my second gripe with Uber is best described in this story: I got my $40 ride to the airport, and I paid with Apple Pay. As soon as I got to my gate, I got an email saying the payment was unsuccessful, yet I was still charged anyway! So I had to pay $40 AGAIN. What the hell?! I then discover that Uber has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE (at least that's easily accessible - there isn't a phone number on Google - maybe it exists someplace I didn't look). Thankfully, there was a section in the help page of the app that allowed me to take a screenshot of the extra charge. But it was never actually resolved, it's still there on my statement. UGH!!!!!

Anyway, that's my frustration with Uber. The drivers are fine, etc., but everything else is not.

It's fine using once every few months, but there's no way I could use it every day. At that point, I'd just save up whatever money I'd spend on the Uber and get a car. Luckily I don't have to worry about that quite yet. Seems like a huge pain to own a vehicle. I can afford one (a pretty cheap one at that, but whatever) right now if I wanted to get one, but I'm choosing not to.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have never used Uber. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of some random citizen/driver/stranger transporting me in his or her personal vehicle to wherever it is I need or want to go. On the rare occasions I've needed to use public transportation rather than driving myself in my own vehicle, I still choose to call a cab service to get me to my destination.

Reactions: rm5

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I have never used Uber. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of some random citizen/driver/stranger transporting me in his or her personal vehicle to wherever it is I need or want to go. On the rare occasions I've needed to use public transportation rather than driving myself in my own vehicle, I still choose to call a cab service to get me to my destination.

Where available, I always use Uber X.

With X you get professional drivers and new cars. During the day they are driving for a car service but at night they drive for Uber. Much higher level of service.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Where available, I always use Uber X.

With X you get professional drivers and new cars. During the day they are driving for a car service but at night they drive for Uber. Much higher level of service.
Thats gotta be why I was charged $40, cause I used Uber X. Huh.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I only started using Uber in the last 12 months or thereabouts.

Before the pandemic, I lived along a regular bus route and I could almost always take the bus. I moved to my current location and they often did the "2/4 split" and bypassed my stop. They might never have had anyone at the other stops but I was taking the bus at least five days a week. I won't give my money to someone who won't be there.

I also took a door-to-door service called Van Go! from the county's transit system. $5.00 across town to exactly the place where I wanted to go, and they went anywhere in the county for a bit more. Since the pandemic, they compressed the hours from 6-10 down to 8-5 and many times, they can only give me a trip one way.

Uber works better, and the drivers are mostly good. Trains tend to inflate the cost because backtracking has to happen sometimes to use the freeway.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Could you get a bike? Paying a third of your daily rate sounds like a lot to me.

Mind you if I calculate the depreciation on my car I’m probably paying more!
I had a bike but I'm dizzy because of my heart and I even have trouble staying on the pavement while walking.

I almost had enough for a car during the pandemic, but every time I was close, the car I wanted would disappear and another car for US$1000 more would appear in its place. I wouldn't put money into a cheaper car that needed to be repaired every six weeks. My 13 year old VW Golf taught me that in 2013. I bought that car new but it was costing loads of money to keep it running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.