Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh I am going to a pub tomorrow night and not staying in Amsterdam this time, Utrecht instead. I want the finest Dutch beer know to mankind, that is my only wish when I arrive and my boss usually loves buying a round or six.
Dutch pubs (and beer) can be brilliant, as are the restaurants.

I'm also rather partial to the (good) Indonesian restaurants that you can find in the Netherlands (a legacy of their colonial history, as is the case with Indian restaurants in the UK), where rijsstaff is served.

Yum.

Just yum.

The boring stuff is Thursday where I will indeed be sat in meetings with people barely able to follow an agenda, whilst delegating everything and taking few actions themselves.
Best of luck with it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well one of the best gastronomic experiences was in the Netherlands during my senior year in high school an embarrassingly long time ago (ie. last century err second last decade). We were on a school excursion to Europe with a high school teacher from the Netherland who spoke fluent German and French. So during the stay in Amsterdam our group went to a rijsttafel a "rice table" buffet of Indonesian dishes which I loved (though some of my less adventurous classmates did not) including my first taste of saté (peanut sauce). Ok I must find an indonesian restaurant. :D
You beat me to it - I hadn't seen your post when I replied to @The-Real-Deal82.

Rijstaffel rocks.

I must confess that I am exceedingly partial to it.

Reactions: decafjava

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
0f692d9550a9b083e2e135f2a47a9d85.jpg

Well .. my team suprised me at our staff meeting today, 35 years I’ve been with Nissan. A great journey, so many souls I’ve met and now call friend. Find your passion and let it guide you.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Well .. my team suprised me at our staff meeting today, 35 years I’ve been with Nissan. A great journey, so many souls I’ve met and now call friend. Find your passion and let it guide you.
Congratulations! Making it to 35 anything is an accomplishment.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Very impressive. I’ve been with my firm 16 years. Too old to make it to 35 years now
At my last firm (I was there about 12), there used to be a guy who would pop in now and then. He started working there when he left school at 16, and worked through to retirement at 65. So 49 years.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well one of the best gastronomic experiences was in the Netherlands during my senior year in high school an embarrassingly long time ago (ie. last century err second last decade). We were on a school excursion to Europe with a high school teacher from the Netherland who spoke fluent German and French. So during the stay in Amsterdam our group went to a rijsttafel a "rice table" buffet of Indonesian dishes which I loved (though some of my less adventurous classmates did not) including my first taste of saté (peanut sauce). Ok I must find an indonesian restaurant. :D
Not just satay sauce, but also, my first introduction to Mee (or Mie) Goreng.

Now, while I love Pad Thai, Mee Goreng is yet another level.

An amazing cuisine, one that I can never have enough of.

Reactions: decafjava

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm awake. I've eaten. I have my VietNamese coffee. I'm waiting for certain mail to help my near future. I'm being as hopeful as possible. I'm working later today, but hopefully, next year at this time, I won't be struggling so much.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I'm awake. I've eaten. I have my VietNamese coffee. I'm waiting for certain mail to help my near future. I'm being as hopeful as possible. I'm working later today, but hopefully, next year at this time, I won't be struggling so much.
Good luck and Happy Spring! I checked and as this year is a leap year it seems today (one source said yesterday) is already spring and in any case one day before or after the official Spring Equinox is only a matter of a few minutes difference in the amount of daylight. :) Some cherry blossom trees in my neighbourhood are in bloom as well. Ok this weekend is calling for cooler temperatures (10-12 or so and mixed cloud and sun and some precipitation) but still I am happy to leave winter behind.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Good luck and Happy Spring! I checked and as this year is a leap year it seems today (one source said yesterday) is already spring and in any case one day before or after the official Spring Equinox is only a matter of a few minutes difference in the amount of daylight. :) Some cherry blossom trees in my neighbourhood are in bloom as well. Ok this weekend is calling for cooler temperatures (10-12 or so and mixed cloud and sun and some precipitation) but still I am happy to leave winter behind.
Thanks! May every day be your best.

I miss cherry blossom tea. I can't just go to Japan, though.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Cherry blossom?

Happy sigh.

Cherry blossom, and daffodils, and - later - tulips - always give a lift to my heart, mind, and, yes, emotions.

I thrill to the sight of them.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@Clix Pix: You love lemons. (As do I).

Today (mainly because I was stretching out my diminishing supply of blood oranges - their season is drawing to a close, whereas I could happily devour them all year round) - my morning freshly squeezed citrus juice was comprised - solely - of lemons; that is, to be precise, two large lemons, freshly squeezed, to which I added a little sparkling water.

Absolutely wonderfully refreshing, and, in the absence of orange juice (and I chose not to add freshly squeezed grapefruit - which I love, and am amply supplied with - today), for anyone who loves lemons, it makes a lovely (and gloriously refreshing) morning citrus beverage. Sparkling water goes really well with lemons.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Spent some time phoning the French bakery (to order my bread for tomorrow), and a few of the stalls in the farmers' market, requesting them to put aside produce for me, for when I pay them a visit tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
@Clix Pix: You love lemons. (As do I).

Today (mainly because I was stretching out my diminishing supply of blood oranges - their season is drawing to a close, whereas I could happily devour them all year round) - my morning freshly squeezed citrus juice was comprised - solely - of lemons; that is, to be precise, two lemons, freshly squeezed, to which I added a little sparkling water. Absolutely wonderfully refreshing, and, in the absence of orange juice (and I chose not to add freshly squeezed grapefruit - which I love, and am amply supplied with - today), for anyone who loves lemons, it makes a lovely morning citrus beverage.
That sounds delicious, just tart enough and refreshing!!! Right now in the fridge I have a bottle of Limoncello, which I spotted and couldn't resist at the store.... Looking forward to enjoying that very soon! I don't have any sparkling water (I tend to purchase and drink bottled still water) at the moment, but next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some, when I replenish my supply of lemons.

Something which I drink just about every morning is Tangerine Juice, which is less sweet than Orange juice and has a lovely hint of tartness to it, which wakes me right up. I discovered it quite by accident one time when I picked up a bottle of it rather than the orange juice for which I was reaching, as the bottles looked similar, and didn't notice until the next morning, when I began to drink it. Loved it, so no harm done and I've been purchasing and enjoying it ever since.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That sounds delicious, just tart enough and refreshing!!! Right now in the fridge I have a bottle of Limoncello, which I spotted and couldn't resist at the store.... Looking forward to enjoying that very soon! I don't have any sparkling water (I tend to purchase and drink bottled still water) at the moment, but next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some, when I replenish my supply of lemons.

Something which I drink just about every morning is Tangerine Juice, which is less sweet than Orange juice and has a lovely hint of tartness to it, which wakes me right up. I discovered it quite by accident one time when I picked up a bottle of it rather than the orange juice for which I was reaching, as the bottles looked similar, and didn't notice until the next morning, when I began to drink it. Loved it, so no harm done and I've been purchasing and enjoying it ever since.
I realised that I had (and always have, lemons are an absolute staple, chateau moi), lots of lemons, so squeezing two large lemons to drink wasn't an issue this morning.

However, in my experience, some sparkling water really adds to a freshly squeezed lemon drink, even more than it does when added to any other citrus fruit.

And yes, it was gloriously tart and refreshing.

If you like Tangerine juice, I suggest that you try to seek out some blood orange juice, if that is still possible, while they are available; blood oranges are wonderfully tart and flavoursome - an absolute explosion of flavour, the darkest of them have a touch of bitter orange and raspberry - yum.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I realised that I had (and always have, lemons are an absolute staple, chateau moi), lots of lemons, so squeezing two large lemons to drink wasn't an issue this morning.

However, in my experience, some sparkling water really adds to a freshly squeezed lemon drink, even more than it does when added to any other citrus fruit.

And yes, it was gloriously tart and refreshing.

If you like Tangerine juice, I suggest that you try to seek out some blood orange juice, if that is still possible, while they are available; blood oranges are wonderfully tart and flavoursome - an absolute explosion of flavour, the darkest of them have a touch of bitter orange and raspberry - yum.
I haven't seen either Blood Oranges or Blood Orange Juice in the store that I regularly visit, but there is another store in which it is more likely that I might be able to purchase them..... Thanks for the tip and the description makes me absolutely know that I would love them!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some hailstones - ugh - have just greeted the window.

While the days are both brightening (what a wonderful quality of light) and lengthening, it is still cold and wet at times.

@Clix Pix: Blood oranges have a relatively short season - roughly, from the very end of December, until the very end of March (maybe, early April); you may still be able to lay hands on some if you try this week (or next).

And I do know that one or two of the Italian bottling companies (Pellegrino, for example) do make blood orange juice, - Sicily is home to blood oranges, and Spain also produces them - but it may not be widely available.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ugh, predicted 2-3” snow, now it’s 5-6” by end of day.. love snow but winter is over . SE Michigan.

bbff025d13671a94a2ab3ad9e85e4828.jpg

51ba8919697f981a99812d0e4f2dd897.jpg
Just be thankful that you didn't get those tornadoes a few days ago that hit Indiana and Ohio. I always seemed to be digging out in February, but March was the calm period before everyday rain in April.

Every area is lovely when the weather isn't overwhelming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.