Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Recent article in "The Atlantic" states "Your TV is too good for you", that 4K resolution is a sham.

Nothing could be further from the truth. sour grapes from a reporter that doesn't want to spend the little extra for 4K.

I'm going to be honest. I can't really tell the difference between HD and 4K. I have an 85" Sony (top model at the time) and have watched several shows/movies in 4K and I really couldn't care that it was 4K.

And I was one of the earliest adopters of HD. I remember the first HD sports I saw was the Daytona 500 around 2003/2004 and I had strung an antenna off my deck to be able to receive the broadcast. I had friends over and it was a party. We moved in 2005 and I didn't bring any of my SD TV's with me. Got all new HDTV's including a 720p plasma that had the best picture of any TV I have ever had to this day. Great pic, but it was basically a 400W space heater in the living room and had to go.

I have a 4K BR player and the only 4K content I have watched on it was Top Gun: Maverick.

M
aybe my eyes are too old (not quite as old as yours ;)), but I really can't tell the difference.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Basement is dedicated HT space with 138” screen, there 4k resolution does matter at 9ft 6” immersive viewing front row distance , 7.2.6 audio icing on the experience
3510bb09c862db29e8bc35f366879342.jpg

Very nice. When we moved to the aforementioned new house, there was a 24x24 space in the basement that my daughter who was 5 at the time took over as her playroom. My plan was always to turn it into a real HT. And my plan became reality in 2015 when I finished it.

Only had a 110" screen, but risers and real movie chairs. It became the place to be for her friends, which was one of the main reasons I did it. I would rather the basement be filled with HS kids than have them out doing who knows what.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Recent article in "The Atlantic" states "Your TV is too good for you", that 4K resolution is a sham.

Nothing could be further from the truth. sour grapes from a reporter that doesn't want to spend the little extra for 4K.

I resent some know it all reporter telling me my system is too good for me. I suppose he thinks my Mercedes is too good for me too.
Why denigrate (or assume the financial position of, and cast disparaging judgment on, as a consequence) a reporter whose articles you disagree with?

It is enough that you disagree - disagree profoundly - with what this person has written. Your world view is not theirs. And, if they have written idiotic and judgmental stuff, all the better reason to exclude the writings of that reporter from those whom you choose to read.

What you choose to spend your money on, is your affair; however, this respect is something that should be extended to others (and yes, by reporters, too).

In any case, to my mind, there is no need - not, in this forum, but, especially not in this exceedingly pleasant thread - to cast disparaging judgments on other people (or assume that what they choose to buy, or can buy, is dictated to, or defined, solely by their financial position, and to judge them negatively as a consequence) based on what you think that they can afford.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Why denigrate (or assume the financial position of, and cast disparaging judgment on, as a consequence) a reporter whose articles you disagree with?

It is enough that you disagree - disagree profoundly - with what this person has written. Your world view is not theirs. And, if they have written idiotic and judgmental stuff, all the better reason to exclude the writings of that reporter from those whom you choose to read.

What you choose to spend your money on, is your affair; however, this respect is something that should be extended to others (and yes, by reporters, too).

In any case, to my mind, there is no need - not, in this forum, but, especially not in this exceedingly pleasant thread - to cast disparaging judgments on other people (or assume that what they choose to buy, or can buy, is dictated to, or defined, solely by their financial position, and to judge them negatively as a consequence) based on what you think that they can afford.
If the author simply titled his article “4K is not worth it”, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. How would you feel if someone told you are not “good enough” to live in a certain neighborhood? Or join a certain country club? Or have the latest Sony or Canon camera. I know he probably meant 4K wasn’t necessary, I could have lived with the HD system. A friend’s family TV broke down, so I gave him my 55” HD TV. That made me feel good. I am sorry that I took it the wrong way.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If the author simply titled his article “4K is not worth it”, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.
Ah, well said.

That would have been my position, as well, and - to my mind - it is a perfectly acceptable journalistic position to take to argue (in, for example, a review of that product), that something, a product, is not worth the money the company that manufactured it are charging for it.

However, also to my mind, it is not appropriate to cast judgment on those who purchase it, (or choose not to purchase it), and also to disparage their assumed reasons for doing so.
How would you feel if someone told you are not “good enough” to live in a certain neighborhood? Or join a certain country club? Or have the latest Sony or Canon camera.
Oh, agreed; this sort of judgmental nonsense is entirely unnecessary and downright unpleasant.
I know he probably meant 4K wasn’t necessary, I could have lived with the HD system.
Fair enough.
A friend’s family TV broke down, so I gave him my 55” HD TV. That made me feel good.
Well done.
I am sorry that I took it the wrong way.
Fair enough.

And enjoy your Mercedes.

Reactions: bousozoku

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Ah, well said.

That would have been my position, as well, and - to my mind - it is a perfectly acceptable journalistic position to take to argue (in, for example, a review of that product), that something, a product, is not worth the money the company that manufactured it are charging for it.

However, also to my mind, it is not appropriate to cast judgment on those who purchase it, (or choose not to purchase it), and also to disparage their assumed reasons for doing so.

Oh, agreed; this sort of judgmental nonsense is entirely unnecessary and downright unpleasant.

Fair enough.

Well done.

Fair enough.

And enjoy your Mercedes.
Thanks, my Mercedes is 2006 SUV, bought it used for $7500, not trying to be a snob, I just like to have as nice as I can afford. Retired living off SSI and a modest IRA doesn't leave much room for nice cameras and fancy cars anymore. I have had my share over the years.

I didn't like the article or that this author thought he was an expert, it just rubbed the wrong way.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
HT soapbox:
Regarding HT’s, I firmly believe in having a good fruitful discussion.
It also helps if the conversation is based on knowledge, whether one is in the industry, an enthusiast, etc.

I’ve dived deep into the HT rabbit hole from 2007 when I stared my education, reading books , below are 4 of what I believe are “musts” to have a good knowledge base.
40701a1b5cb55d96008b8326b8ef9a78.jpg

My basement HT was initially completed in 2009, Rev 1 in 2012, Rev2 in 2018.

I participate in local HT gtg’s (get togethers), where we rotate going to finished HT or work in process HT’s for C&C, yea constructive criticism, all face to face , lots of these people became my friends.

Besides my HT, I’ve designed 5 others for my local friends in SE Michigan, below is Amar’s in process photos.
They either DIY or job out the build work.
101ea120e74b42960a4f5eb941882616.jpg

0f55222f249d1ab6cb254b0849e865b4.jpg

I’m also one of 9 moderators in this HT group, we strive for quality over quantity of posts.

Every post is reviewed and approved before it’s seen on the page.

Every single one.

Being a mod is a PIA at times, we get PM’s people saying this n that ..

c22f99cbbcca3e2e4ce13e3be06766d2.jpg

What I can’t stand is …
-posts for drama, people needing their dopamine fix
-false info, stating stuff without knowing its source

Ok, off my HT soapbox

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Understood, we all have passions driven by our inner self.

When I retire this fall, age 62, I’d like to take up martial arts again, had 3 years in high school college Isshin-ryu karate .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isshin-ryu

Definitely in my aging years a more “soft” inner style, like Tai Chi or Kung fu.
I think you don’t necessarily need to look at a “softer” art.

It really depends on the dojo but, for example, as far as I know, Shotokan Karate’s belt exams have different requirements depending on the age of the practitioner, some Judo dojos might do it too but I’m not sure about that.

Of course, you need to like the art, but every martial art can be adapted on an individual basis, even something as tough as Kyokushin Karate can be “softened” in order to be practiced by everyone, it really depends on the Sensei and, sometimes, whether the federation, assuming the dojo is part of a federation, is willing to adapt their curricula and grading requirements.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
HT soapbox:
Regarding HT’s, I firmly believe in having a good fruitful discussion.
It also helps if the conversation is based on knowledge, whether one is in the industry, an enthusiast, etc.

I’ve dived deep into the HT rabbit hole from 2007 when I stared my education, reading books , below are 4 of what I believe are “musts” to have a good knowledge base.
40701a1b5cb55d96008b8326b8ef9a78.jpg

My basement HT was initially completed in 2009, Rev 1 in 2012, Rev2 in 2018.

I participate in local HT gtg’s (get togethers), where we rotate going to finished HT or work in process HT’s for C&C, yea constructive criticism, all face to face , lots of these people became my friends.

Besides my HT, I’ve designed 5 others for my local friends in SE Michigan, below is Amar’s in process photos.
They either DIY or job out the build work.
101ea120e74b42960a4f5eb941882616.jpg

0f55222f249d1ab6cb254b0849e865b4.jpg

I’m also one of 9 moderators in this HT group, we strive for quality over quantity of posts.

Every post is reviewed and approved before it’s seen on the page.

Every single one.

Being a mod is a PIA at times, we get PM’s people saying this n that ..

c22f99cbbcca3e2e4ce13e3be06766d2.jpg

What I can’t stand is …
-posts for drama, people needing their dopamine fix
-false info, stating stuff without knowing its source

Ok, off my HT soapbox
Audiophile and Home Theater Audio can be very rewarding. I started in 1967 when I open stereo and record shop. Move to Toronto in 1970 and managed two stereo stores that sold McIntosh and JBL. I got into designing and installing nightclub systems as a JBL professional contractor. During the Disco heyday I built about 150 systems, mostly just disco, and a couple good sound reinforcement systems. From Hawaii to Bermuda, Thunder Bay Ont. to Atlanta. Later moved into more commercial system for hotel meeting rooms and ballrooms. Retirement budget limits my current HT system, what I have adequate for my needs.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Audiophile and Home Theater Audio can be very rewarding. I started in 1967 when I open stereo and record shop. Move to Toronto in 1970 and managed two stereo stores that sold McIntosh and JBL. I got into designing and installing nightclub systems as a JBL professional contractor. During the Disco heyday I built about 150 systems, mostly just disco, and a couple good sound reinforcement systems. From Hawaii to Bermuda, Thunder Bay Ont. to Atlanta. Later moved into more commercial system for hotel meeting rooms and ballrooms. Retirement budget limits my current HT system, what I have adequate for my needs.

Dude!!! I do remember you posted a picture of your disco setup, kudos again. I’m HS class of 1980, totally remember the rock vs disco 🪩 era, I enjoyed both.
Anyone know of “Steve Dahl”, he was a Detroit disc jockey late 70’s who went to Chicago and proceeded to blow up disco records in a baseball stadium as some contest.. crazy

6606de959f368c6eea4a0f93a7536eee.png

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
While I love orange juice, recent 6-8 months I can’t drink the mass marketed store stuff .. been drinking the cold pressed juice, it’s $11 vs $4-5 for same bottle size but imo can’t compare.

a4a8aceb6e38d29f51d502cf0371d200.jpg

Ahh, June 2010 family trip to NYC visiting my friend, stopped by Ocean City NJ boardwalk for a day, tradition is buy a coffee cup if the memory is worthy.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I've been thinking about how much $ I am saving on electricity (high cost area) by watching media on my Vision Pro vs my home theater. Running the TV, receiver, media source and atmos speaker system with subwoofer costs about 8 times more in electric costs.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I've been thinking about how much $ I am saving on electricity (high cost area) by watching media on my Vision Pro vs my home theater. Running the TV, receiver, media source and atmos speaker system with subwoofer costs about 8 times more in electric costs.

There’s a long thread on this at AVS forum “$400 AR Glasses might replace my JVC NZ8

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I love orange juice, recent 6-8 months I can’t drink the mass marketed store stuff .. been drinking the cold pressed juice, it’s $11 vs $4-5 for same bottle size but imo can’t compare.

Ahh, June 2010 family trip to NYC visiting my friend, stopped by Ocean City NJ boardwalk for a day, tradition is buy a coffee cup if the memory is worthy.
I agree with you re supermarket, or shop bought, orange juice.

Actually, when I am at home, for myself, each day, I prepare my own freshly squeezed citrus juice - it will be comprised of any or all of a mix of pink grapefruit, oranges (best of all, blood oranges, which are currently coming to the end of their season), and lemons, which I love.

Abroad, if possible, I will have freshly squeezed orange juice, or homemade lemonade.

Sometimes, in airports, or train stations, one can obtain very good freshly squeezed orange juice, or fruit juices.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

When I moved from Philly to Florida, I would stop by Goodings super market to get whatever fresh squeezed orange juice as soon as it was available. I didn't care for orange juice until that point. I ended up settling on Florida's Natural because it was a co-op of orange growers. Simply used to be better but they're too busy exploring new products.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Last day of our trade show tomorrow. As a reward I get to break down the stand, load a van and probably my car after we finish tomorrow night. What joy!

What a lucky chap. I’ve got a meeting in the Netherlands on Thursday so I’m making it a 3 day jolly starting Wednesday. First time there this year and thought I was going to get away with not going more than once this year but we are only in March.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What a lucky chap. I’ve got a meeting in the Netherlands on Thursday so I’m making it a 3 day jolly starting Wednesday. First time there this year and thought I was going to get away with not going more than once this year but we are only in March.
Well, there are worse places to visit in March than the Netherlands.

Anyway, enjoy your trip, in so far as that is possible.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks, I’m sure i’ll enjoy the airport, the inside of a Tesla, a Dutch motorway and a boardroom. I’d rather be taking in the sights of Amsterdam but maybe next time
Agree about the sights of Amsterdam.

Nevertheless, there are also decent pubs, and restaurants in the Netherlands; I doubt that you will be confined to the walls of a boardroom (and here, I do sympathise, as most people seem to have absolutely no idea of how to run a meeting properly).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Agree about the sights of Amsterdam.

Nevertheless, there are also decent pubs, and restaurants in the Netherlands; I doubt that you will be confined to the walls of a boardroom (and here, I do sympathise, as most people seem to have absolutely no idea of how to run a meeting properly).

Oh I am going to a pub tomorrow night and not staying in Amsterdam this time, Utrecht instead. I want the finest Dutch beer know to mankind, that is my only wish when I arrive and my boss usually loves buying a round or six. The boring stuff is Thursday where I will indeed be sat in meetings with people barely able to follow an agenda, whilst delegating everything and taking few actions themselves.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well one of the best gastronomic experiences was in the Netherlands during my senior year in high school an embarrassingly long time ago (ie. last century err second last decade). We were on a school excursion to Europe with a high school teacher from the Netherland who spoke fluent German and French. So during the stay in Amsterdam our group went to a rijsttafel a "rice table" buffet of Indonesian dishes which I loved (though some of my less adventurous classmates did not) including my first taste of saté (peanut sauce). Ok I must find an indonesian restaurant. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.