Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sorry to hear that; get well soon.

Are the migraines a regular (but, not necessarily, a common) occurrence?

If so, you have my sympathy; I used to suffer from them, and, once started, they tended to last for around three (exhausting) days.

Rest, darkness, hydration, and whatever remedies are available would be my recommendation; (that is, remedies that work, for, with migraines, I used to find that remedies that worked on other conditions rarely worked well).

Have you any idea of what triggers them?
The migraines are mostly a daily occurrence. When my heart was not working well, I didn't have any. My heart was so bad that I went to check my blood pressure at the super market pharmacy and the machine couldn't give me any numbers.

I've had food factors contributing and I usually use coffee and ibuprofen to ease the pain. I used to take Butalbital but it stopped working. A doctor gave me some samples of something else and it worked, but I wasn't careful and I don't have the name.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The migraines are mostly a daily occurrence. When my heart was not working well, I didn't have any. My heart was so bad that I went to check my blood pressure at the super market pharmacy and the machine couldn't give me any numbers.

I've had food factors contributing and I usually use coffee and ibuprofen to ease the pain. I used to take Butalbital but it stopped working. A doctor gave me some samples of something else and it worked, but I wasn't careful and I don't have the name.
Daily?

Ouch.

You have my complete sympathy.

They are horrible.

I used to get them roughly once a year, - roughly every 15 months, but occasionally, I'd get two in a year - and they were agonising, excruciating, immobilising, an appalling pain that always lasted three days; light hurt, (darkness helps), and - occasionally, with especially severe bouts - I recall that I vomited.

However, I haven't had any serious ones in over a decade.

Stress was one trigger, and diet - especially, not eating regularly - another.

Try to look after yourself.

• Wow
Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Daily?

Ouch.

You have my complete sympathy.

They are horrible.

I used to get them roughly once a year, - roughly every 15 months, but occasionally, I'd get two in a year - and they were agonising, excruciating, immobilising, an appalling pain that always lasted three days; light hurt, (darkness helps), and - occasionally, with especially severe bouts - I recall that I vomited.

However, I haven't had any serious ones in over a decade.

Stress was one trigger, and diet - especially, not eating regularly - another.

Try to look after yourself.
That sounds worse than my typical migraine, although I had to call out sick last month because it was so bad. I even saw shiny bits that weren't there.

I remember when my mum and my aunt took us on a trip to find cheap clothing, on the way to another aunt's house. We stopped to eat and shop and I was so sick, my mum gave me Pepto-Bismol and I would vomit and felt better. Waiting too long to eat and then, rushing to eat probably was part of the problem.

Since I'm being a cashier now, people ask me how I'm working with a migraine. Thankfully, the smaller ones are more annoying than debilitating. However, if things don't work smoothly, I'm not always able to think my way out of it.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I only really eat eggs scrambled to be honest. Not that I don’t like them fried or poached. But as I don’t eat much bread that limits my options.

Same. Will eat them fried if that is all that is available, but prefer wet scrambled.

And this is where I will deviate from most people: I also prefer liquid egg product for them. Not the stuff in stores, but from a restaurant supply store. Used to go to Gordon Foods, but there is not one out here so I am having to use shell eggs.

Really need to get some to try on the Blackstone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

My wife suffers from several migraines a month and is prescribed Amitriptyline which she found is the best thing she’s tried. She’s had migraine attacks since her teens but yours sound awful if you’re having them everyday. Has your doctor not discussed a daily medication to prevent them?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My wife suffers from several migraines a month and is prescribed Amitriptyline which she found is the best thing she’s tried. She’s had migraine attacks since her teens but yours sound awful if you’re having them everyday. Has your doctor not discussed a daily medication to prevent them?
Now that I have low income healthcare insurance, I will discuss it with the doctor. My last doctor wasn't much help and our last conversation made him sound like a bigot. This one cares, but she's going to her next assignment, so I'm just hoping the next doctor is caring.

Thank goodness I can deal with a lot of pain. I'm about to put some Icy Hot on the back of my neck and take more ibuprofen.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There are (many) reasons why a state funded public healthcare system is something that I strongly support.

Access to medical professionals (without having to sell a proverbial kidney in order to be able to do so) is one.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
582e5976870560c72576af5b51841185.jpg

I've had this image in my brain on how to visualize MTB trails in SE Michigan region subjectively.

On and off people come to our local facebook group and ask "what trail should a beginner ride", or "I've ridden trail X, how is that compared to trail Y".

I've used these 2-axis subjective plots before at work, for this I choose "Quick & Flowy versus Tight & Twisty" as one axis, and "Clear & Open versus Rocky & Rooty" as the other axis.

I rough sketched it last week in my work notebook,had thoughts.
So, I then scanned it to myself, printed and started doing it by hand … it looked busy.
So, I then put that image into PowerPoint, which then is easy to make “nice” visually.

Played with it a bit, here's the first output.

I've ridden all I subjectively ranked over many years / rides, the four I have not are in bottom left. Later I'll add a trail difficulty rating 4/3/2/1 "chili's" based on vert feet / mile.

I’m thinking in the trail name box to add 1 lap miles on top and the “chili” rating on bottom
(Vert ft per mile table will be on left). Anything more will make it to busy.

Want to keep it simple, not complicated.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
That is well done and very creative @mtbdudex would never have thought of it.

I want to chime in how essential having medical services available to the whole population is. Here in Switzerland, unlike many of our neighbours, it is private and expensive (yes wages are higher here) but at least the government offers subsidies to those who are eligible.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I've ridden all I subjectively ranked over many years / rides, the four I have not are in bottom left. Later I'll add a trail difficulty rating 4/3/2/1 "chili's" based on vert feet / mile.

The OHV trails I ride are all color coded like ski slopes instead of numbers. So Green is the easiest, then Blue, Black and if you have the nerve and talent, Red.

Colors are easier for people to process quickly and they don't have to remember if 1 is easy or hard.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There are (many) reasons why a state funded public healthcare system is something that I strongly support.

Access to medical professionals (without having to sell a proverbial kidney in order to be able to do so) is one.
I would like all countries to have such a system. Even when it doesn't work well, it works.

I've seen situations where someone who could be saved, died, because the hospital didn't have to accept the person.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My body hates me. Been setting up a trade show all day. Tomorrow I get to enjoy being at the show (and the next three days).
What fun. Who knows, maybe I might even get a break as I really didn’t today!
I'm sure the boss appreciates what you're doing, especially if they don't have to do it.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Recent article in "The Atlantic" states "Your TV is too good for you", that 4K resolution is a sham.

Nothing could be further from the truth. sour grapes from a reporter that doesn't want to spend the little extra for 4K.

Not only does he think HD is all we need, he belittled those of us that decent home theater systems.

Several years ago I upgraded my HD system to 4K. I am almost 80 and retired, my system provides me the bulk of my entertainment. 4K has made a huge difference in the quality of the programing and movies. I waited till prices came down and 4K became more popular. My upgrade investment was reasonable.

I would go into Best Buy and look at all the TV's on display, and there was always 2 or 3 that were significantly better image quality than the rest. Those TV's were 4k resolution, you could pick them out from across the store!

Every year a new iPhone comes out and every year the cameras improve with better resolution. Computer monitors have improved greatly with better resolution. Many photographers that submit photos on the forum here have incredible hi res cameras from Sony & Canon. I can usually tell their pictures from the rest. Resolution makes all the difference in the quality of their shots.

"Audiophiles" spend large amounts of money to get the latest and greatest equipment for that little extra performance.

I don't know what the author was trying to prove, 4K has become the standard for excellence for now. 8K is starting to become available, but the programing and media is not very plentiful for now. He should change the title of his article to say 8K is sham (for now).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Recent article in "The Atlantic" states "Your TV is too good for you", that 4K resolution is a sham.

Nothing could be further from the truth. sour grapes from a reporter that doesn't want to spend the little extra for 4K.

Not only does he think HD is all we need, he belittled those of us that decent home theater systems.

Several years ago I upgraded my HD system to 4K. I am almost 80 and retired, my system provides me the bulk of my entertainment. 4K has made a huge difference in the quality of the programing and movies. I waited till prices came down and 4K became more popular. My upgrade investment was reasonable.

I would go into Best Buy and look at all the TV's on display, and there was always 2 or 3 that were significantly better image quality than the rest. Those TV's were 4k resolution, you could pick them out from across the store!

Every year a new iPhone comes out and every year the cameras improve with better resolution. Computer monitors have improved greatly with better resolution. Many photographers that submit photos on the forum here have incredible hi res cameras from Sony & Canon. I can usually tell their pictures from the rest. Resolution makes all the difference in the quality of their shots.

"Audiophiles" spend large amounts of money to get the latest and greatest equipment for that little extra performance.

I don't know what the author was trying to prove, 4K has become the standard for excellence for now. 8K is starting to become available, but the programing and media is not very plentiful for now. He should change the title of his article to say 8K is sham (for now).
The thing about 4k is it does depend on how you receive your content. Most providers expect you to pay extra for 4k and if your broadband is restricted in anyway, you still might not get 4k content.
At least that’s how it works in the UK.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
The thing about 4k is it does depend on how you receive your content. Most providers expect you to pay extra for 4k and if your broadband is restricted in anyway, you still might not get 4k content.
I upgraded my cable DVR to 4K, I buy the occasional 4K movie Bluray dvds, definitely superior (and more expensive). Like I said, there definitely is a massive improvement.

I resent some know it all reporter telling me my system is too good for me. I suppose he thinks my Mercedes is too good for me too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I resent some know it all reporter telling me my system is too good for me. I suppose he thinks my Mercedes is too good for me too.
You have my sympathy - but here's the thing, traditional well informed and intelligent journalism is pretty much done for. The loss of advertising stripped it of income and the rise of social media has left it with just one purpose which is to drive 'engagement'(!) The easiest and cheapest way to do that is for it to become a fear and anger engine. Plus, as there no money anymore - most journalism is simply the quick re-writing of agenda driven press releases in an office by an underpaid junior.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The OHV trails I ride are all color coded like ski slopes instead of numbers. So Green is the easiest, then Blue, Black and if you have the nerve and talent, Red.

Colors are easier for people to process quickly and they don't have to remember if 1 is easy or hard.

Good insight, thx

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
From “farther away” than visual acuity makes a difference he’s probably not so wrong, however… let’s not forget 4k resolution development also enabled:
DCI-P3 color or Rec2020, HDR (Dolby vision, etc), with inky blacks and bright not overblown whites, higher contrast , etc.
I’d argue those have significantly more impact on the overall viewing experience than 4k alone.

My family room tv is a viewing experience, hence “only” 55” diagonal OLED, with 5.1.2 audio
77a5108c519c88605c18073c9a491f4f.jpg

Basement is dedicated HT space with 138” screen, there 4k resolution does matter at 9ft 6” immersive viewing front row distance , 7.2.6 audio icing on the experience
3510bb09c862db29e8bc35f366879342.jpg

Best source is UHDBR of course, however I also stream like many now.

Via cat5e network is best, my basement HT is hardwired
2d5310f29c21dc896635c769b3d189cc.jpg

The family room is WiFi, older wifi 5 was slow 40-70 Mbps, new WiFi 6 installed December 2023 significantly faster 400-500 Mbps.
6f28e4f04efec7d9c6178b431807ae68.jpg

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't even have a TV, nor do I want or need one, all by choice!

I have 2 computers instead, and whatever streaming and very few tv-series that, I or we, want to watch are done on computers and its displays. It's not much at all though.
Can't even recall when I had a TV, I dissed that a very long time ago.
I meditate/workout and cultivate my awareness instead. But each to their own.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I don't even have a TV, nor do I want or need one, all by choice!

I have 2 computers instead, and whatever streaming and very few tv-series that, I or we, want to watch are done on computers and its displays. It's not much at all though.
Can't even recall when I had a TV, I dissed that a very long time ago.
I meditate/workout and cultivate my awareness instead. But each to their own.

Understood, we all have passions driven by our inner self.

When I retire this fall, age 62, I’d like to take up martial arts again, had 3 years in high school college Isshin-ryu karate .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isshin-ryu

Definitely in my aging years a more “soft” inner style, like Tai Chi or Kung fu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lioness~
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.