Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
My sister worked a high school job at Wendy’s early 1980’s. They had the best chili then, anyone here know the secret?
“Today’s” chili used “yesterday’s” cooked but non consumed burgers, truth.
It was so good, tasty, rich, thick.
Then later in the 80’s they stopped that. Wendy’s chili today is meh, thin not tasty like the early 80’s.
When they first opened in Ohio and then, Indiana, they had Chili Soup, which is typical around there. Their food has always been acceptable, not good.

Since they only cooked their burgers fresh, how would they have cooked burgers that weren't consumed? They dug them out of the waste bin?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
When they first opened in Ohio and then, Indiana, they had Chili Soup, which is typical around there. Their food has always been acceptable, not good.

Since they only cooked their burgers fresh, how would they have cooked burgers that weren't consumed? They dug them out of the waste bin?

Ha, no I never said they’d dig cooked burgers outta the waste bin. My sister is on vacation in Hawaii for a week, I was going to call her to re-confirm.

Then I used google ..

Very first hit is this:

Spend a few moments and read the thread.

4c7c7f1a3f5f88c68fb79517f18bec91.png

Reactions: bousozoku

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

They aren't cooked to order. They say fresh because they weren't frozen. They do have waste.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't know whether blood oranges are popular in "other countries", but, speaking for myself, I absolutely adore them.

And I adore them irrespective of whether they are consumed with a salad, juiced, or simply devoured as the delicious and awesomely acidic seasonal citrus delights that they are.
@Populus:

This morning, my freshly squeezed citrus juice comprised three blood oranges and a little sparkling water. Yum.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Just realized how terrible of a voice actor I am—someone asked me to record an event promo. Reading aloud is hard enough, but annunciating the words (without it sounding forced) is even harder. I did it, but that's clearly not a job for me...

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just realized how terrible of a voice actor I am—someone asked me to record an event promo. Reading aloud is hard enough, but annunciating the words (without it sounding forced) is even harder. I did it, but that's clearly not a job for me...
Is it your actual voice (timbre, tone, sound), your experience (or, lack of) in public speaking, enunciation and pronunciation, or a simple lack of confidence?

Some voices do sound better than others when interpreted either by the human ear, or by a recording or amplifying device, such as a microphone.

And, just as the camera is said to love some faces, there are voices that the microphone also appears to love.

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Is it your actual voice (timbre, tone, sound), your experience (or, lack of) in public speaking, enunciation and pronunciation, or a simple lack of confidence?
All of it. But I sent it off and he liked it, so there we go... I just hate the sound of my voice in general, my speech just sounds forced all the time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Some voices do sound better than others when interpreted either by the human ear, or by a recording or amplifying device, such as a microphone.

And, just as the camera is said to love some faces, there are voices that the microphone also appears to love.
I have a good face for radio.

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku and rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All of it.
I also meant to add "accent".

And, indeed, actual language.

Some are pleasant - even, very pleasant - on the ear, (although some of these subjective reactions are also socio-culturally learned, I strongly suspect), while others are not.

But I sent it off and he liked it, so there we go...
Here, the key question to answer is not whether you like the sound of your own voice when it has been recorded, but, whether others like it when they hear it.

I just hate the sound of my voice in general, my speech just sounds forced all the time.
You are not alone in that.

However, on account of your background in music, I suspect that you may well have a greater sensitivity to what may sound well, than would eb the case with many others.

Reactions: rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ha, no I never said they’d dig cooked burgers outta the waste bin. My sister is on vacation in Hawaii for a week, I was going to call her to re-confirm.

Then I used google ..

Very first hit is this:

Spend a few moments and read the thread.

4c7c7f1a3f5f88c68fb79517f18bec91.png
That still sounds awful.

I haven't trusted Wendy's for a long time, although someone just gave me their fries the other day.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I haven't trusted Wendy's for a long time, although someone just gave me their fries the other day.

I don't frequent Burger King, so I don't have much of a personal opinion about them. But, years ago, a friend who had worked at a Burger King branch told me that nobody would eat there if they saw what goes on behind the scenes. I don't know specifically what he meant, but it made me a little wary of any restaurant staffed by minimum wage teenagers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't frequent Burger King, so I don't have much of a personal opinion about them. But, years ago, a friend who had worked at a Burger King branch told me that nobody would eat there if they saw what goes on behind the scenes. I don't know specifically what he meant, but it made me a little wary of any restaurant staffed by minimum wage teenagers.
Minimum wage adults are usually just as bad. Now that California's fast food minimum wage is over $20/hour, I wonder if things will be better.

I remember working for Domino's Pizza and someone was opening a can of pizza sauce and the lid fell into the sauce. Instead of pouring the sauce into the container on the pizza-making station, he got the screwdriver used for the Sterno and lifted the lid.

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Just rewatched the movie Super Size Me, and it reconfirmed my opinion of American fast food. I read the other day that by 2030 nearly half of US adults will be obese.
However, later Morgan Spurlock admitted he had had a drinking problem since he was 13, so he was still drinking during the filming of Super Size Me. Not defending a multibillion dollars corporation, but how much of the liver problems shown in the movie were due to his abuse of junk food and how much was linked to his alcohol consumption?

In his social media post he says he hadn't been sober for more than a week in over 30 years, so I think it's safe to assume he wasn't just a casual drinker, but he was in fact abusing alcohol.

I mean, in the movie he made viewers think his diet, prior to eating McDonald's three times a day, was super clean, chances are it was far from a clean diet.

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
That still sounds awful.

I honestly can’t go to 97% of “fast foods” myself, burger - taco - chicken - etc, it’s been that way 7-8 years or more.

What’s the 3%? Culver’s!!
They are uniquely good, heck very good tasting and quality.
The one near my home has won awards for their customer service and consistent top quality food, the owners are very involved with the community.
d0c317a7bd8ac19dfbc4bc7f894dfb4f.jpg

You guys know I love to mountain bike, my user name …. Well I “pay it forward“ to the local trail volunteers by having Culver’s $10 gift cards with me, and give them out on the spot when I see them doing their trail maintenance stuff. I usually stop riding, small chat, then will shake hands with a gift card in it. Real money seems weird to give out, these gift cards are perfect for thanking them. So much of what the trail volunteers do is un-seen.
17a58f636a48d07cc8539686c8db8d0c.jpg

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I honestly can’t go to 97% of “fast foods” myself, burger - taco - chicken - etc, it’s been that way 7-8 years or more.

What’s the 3%? Culver’s!!
They are uniquely good, heck very good tasting and quality.
The one near my home has won awards for their customer service and consistent top quality food, the owners are very involved with the community.
d0c317a7bd8ac19dfbc4bc7f894dfb4f.jpg

You guys know I love to mountain bike, my user name …. Well I “pay it forward“ to the local trail volunteers by having Culver’s $10 gift cards with me, and give them out on the spot when I see them doing their trail maintenance stuff. I usually stop riding, small chat, then will shake hands with a gift card in it. Real money seems weird to give out, these gift cards are perfect for thanking them.
17a58f636a48d07cc8539686c8db8d0c.jpg
They're different, to be sure. I visited a couple of their stores and never went again. Where there was a Culver's, there was usually somewhere else I really wanted to go.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
They're different, to be sure. I visited a couple of their stores and never went again. Where there was a Culver's, there was usually somewhere else I really wanted to go.

Agree not a “destination place”, but when we’re “on the go” as a family we go there. Plus, they offer gluten free buns for their burgers , while I don’t have celiac disease, I’m very allergic to gluten, wheat, etc.
Now that’s service and definitely not fast food style.
Heck, can I tell you how many “destination restaurants” I’ve been too that don’t offer gluten free choices still in this enlightened day and age?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We once had an amusing fast food restaurant experience. I was driving the family along the highway, and the kids, looking out the window, spotted a costumed character dancing around to advertise a restaurant. It was a human-size milkshake costume. I got off at the next exit and we found our way to the milkshake place. We parked, went inside, and stood in a line to order. When we got to the front, I told the guy taking our order that we came there because of the dancing milkshake. He said "that was me!" It turned out that they take turns being the milkshake, and his shift outside had just ended. He had come inside to take orders while we were getting off the highway!

Reactions: mtbdudex

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
However, later Morgan Spurlock admitted he had had a drinking problem since he was 13, so he was still drinking during the filming of Super Size Me. Not defending a multibillion dollars corporation, but how much of the liver problems shown in the movie were due to his abuse of junk food and how much was linked to his alcohol consumption?

In his social media post he says he hadn't been sober for more than a week in over 30 years, so I think it's safe to assume he wasn't just a casual drinker, but he was in fact abusing alcohol.

I mean, in the movie he made viewers think his diet, prior to eating McDonald's three times a day, was super clean, chances are it was far from a clean diet.
Yes, that is an interesting point. But I think that's a separate issue of his, and the point of the movie is on target nevertheless. There's a section that talks about the lack of exercise by a majority and that this is a contributor. So I see it as not just McDonald's and fast food, but lifestyle as well.

Last edited:

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Yes, that is an interesting point. But I think that's a separate issue of his, and the point of the movie is on target nevertheless. There's a section that talks about the lack of exercise by a majority and that this is a contributor. So I see it as not just McDonald's and fast food, but lifestyle as well.
I think the movie was made more for entertainment rather than having a real scientific value, Mr Spurlock, of course, is a director, not a researcher.

What I see, nowadays, as a risk, along with the utter lack of exercise, is junk drinks more than junk food; now that, in general, the western society is more aware of the risks involved with eating junk food on a regular basis, we’re still struggling, though, with getting rid of junk drinks, like soda, soft drinks, industrial fruit juice and alcohol.

A documentary I liked, on the topic of food, was “Food Inc.”, during the documentary they interviewed a low-income family, and they said that going to Burger King and drinking Coca Cola, was cheaper than buying healthy groceries and water.
Or, at least, I think that part was in that documentary.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.