Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Postscript from my previous posts above:

I ended up going mirrorless and getting an EOS RP. Compared with my 2007-vintage Rebel XT, this thing has a bewildering array of features!...I am still getting used to the menus. The body proportions take some getting used to, but the pivoting display is handy. The battery life is less than stellar, as was widely reported in reviews, but I have two extra batteries and it has been good enough for what I do. The RP seems to lack a RAW+JPEG shooting mode (I haven't delved deeply for it but I can't find it), which was initially annoying but I've just switched to shooting RAW and will get over it.

My overarching requirement was for a full-frame sensor camera, and the RP is that.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I ended up going mirrorless and getting an EOS RP. Compared with my 2007-vintage Rebel XT, this thing has a bewildering array of features!...I am still getting used to the menus. The body proportions take some getting used to, but the pivoting display is handy. The battery life is less than stellar, as was widely reported in reviews, but I have two extra batteries and it has been good enough for what I do. The RP seems to lack a RAW+JPEG shooting mode (I haven't delved deeply for it but I can't find it), which was initially annoying but I've just switched to shooting RAW and will get over it.

My overarching requirement was for a full-frame sensor camera, and the RP is that.
Enjoy your new camera. I always shoot RAW only as I’d rather make the processing choices myself. Don’t forget to post a few images in the POTD thread.

Reactions: Lord Blackadder

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Enjoy your new camera. I always shoot RAW only as I’d rather make the processing choices myself. Don’t forget to post a few images in the POTD thread.
I've been mostly shooting RAW too, but I liked having the JPEGs for convenience - recently I've been messing around with Metashape and for experimenting with workflows it was easier to dump 250 JPEGs and work with those before dealing with the extra processing time of exporting the RAW images into TIFFs and only then finding out I had issues that required a re-shoot.

But for more traditional photography I use RAW almost exclusively.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Nina Bailey offers some well designed eBooks for most Canon cameras. I bought two eBooks, one for my R6, and another for wildlife photography, as well as a couple of pocket "field guides". All are relatively cheap. The eBook updates are free. These updates are needed because Canon updates the camera firmware, so Nina Bailey updates the eBooks along the firmware updates. By the way, I am not associated in any form with the author of these books, nor am I advertising them.

Or the EOS Magazine:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.