Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Hi guys,

as a former youth soccer coach and soccer dad of two teenagers, I've often missed the ability to quickly and easily track scores and match time during games. There are solutions for the Apple Watch, but none that allow everything on one screen with just one tap. So I sat down and got to work with Swift to make my idea a reality.

In the end, though, it was ChatGPT that helped me write the code for this application. I was blown away by how quickly it came up with exactly the code I needed with a rudimentary description. Only minor tweaks were needed to get the application AppStore ready.

Using Simple Score and Game Time, I've already tracked three high-scoring games this weekend and it works exactly as I wanted it to. If you also have kids playing soccer or like to stand on the sidelines at a kick yourself, maybe this application is something for you too?

Simple Score And Game Time (AppStore)

cover_final.jpg

Last edited:

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
  • Version 1.1 is now available in the AppStore. The app now stays in the foreground even after the screen is darkened.
  • Simple Score And Game Time is now ranked 4th in the German AppStore in the category Sports, thank you very much! 😀
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-26 um 13.59.54.png

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Update - Version 1.3 OUT NOW

*** You asked for it, you got it: The countdown timer is here! ***

New: Optional countdown timer for games with a length of 10 to 90 minutes.

New: Automatic half-time alarm from a game length of 20 minutes.

New: Automatic alarm at the end of the game.

New: Cooler name :)

New: Fully localized texts for French and German.

Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-19 at 14.31.32.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-20 at 09.16.21.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-19 at 14.20.49.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-19 at 14.19.36.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-19 at 14.30.53.png

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I suppose this app will have complications for us to choose from?
And the color on the score is correctly represent the team color?

Reactions: Thilo Specht

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
I suppose this app will have complications for us to choose from?
And the color on the score is correctly represent the team color?

I have to answer both in the negative. The focus of the app is on usability. "What' the Score, Bro?" is always useful when you're watching a soccer game or taking part in it yourself. However, the focus is always on the game, not the app. In my opinion, classic complications are not very useful in this application scenario - but I have already planned a watchOS 10 widget.

Of course, it is tempting at first glance to adjust the color of the circles to the team colors. But it doesn't really have any added value in the hard application scenario and only complicates the app unnecessarily for the user - so I'll do without it.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Nice job on the app. I bought it a few minutes ago. Don't play or ref soccer, but I go to my nephew's baseball games and always lose track of the score. Hopefully this will help.

One suggestion after playing around with it for a few minutes. Add in haptic feedback for reducing the score (assuming that is possible). It's hard to tell just how long you need to touch the score to get it to move down 1 score. And since your finger is covering the actual #, you can't see it to verify.

Aside from that, nice job!

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Nice job on the app. I bought it a few minutes ago. Don't play or ref soccer, but I go to my nephew's baseball games and always lose track of the score. Hopefully this will help.

One suggestion after playing around with it for a few minutes. Add in haptic feedback for reducing the score (assuming that is possible). It's hard to tell just how long you need to touch the score to get it to move down 1 score. And since your finger is covering the actual #, you can't see it to verify.

Aside from that, nice job!

Thanks for the great feedback! Your idea with the haptic feedback is great and I'll try to implement it in the next version. 😀

Reactions: mk313

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
@mk313 - I have already implemented your recommendation, version 1.4 is currently being loaded into the AppStore. Thank you for the valuable suggestion!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Used the app tonight to keep track of the score in the game. Worked great.

Certainly nothing to rush to build out, but you may want to think about offering the reset button on the main screen (or some other way of resetting) without having to start the timer.

I know that I"m not using the app to track soccer games (the main use) but after the game ended, I couldn't figure out how to reset everything, until I tried starting the timer, then the reset button popped up.

Like I said, no big deal & I Was able to figure it out without too much trouble, but it's the only other thing I can think to improve. Aside from that, the app did exactly what I was hoping it would do. Nice to be able to keep track of the score in the game, without having to keep it in my head the whole time.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Used the app tonight to keep track of the score in the game. Worked great.

Certainly nothing to rush to build out, but you may want to think about offering the reset button on the main screen (or some other way of resetting) without having to start the timer.

You are absolutely right. I am currently revising the reset function, look forward to update 1.5 😀
Once again a big thank you for the valuable input!

Can I ask you for some feedback in the AppStore?

Last edited:

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
I like this a lot. Any options of deleting the ‘bro’ from it?

I understand that informal language is not liked by everyone. The app was previously called "Simple Score And Game Time". I thought that was a good idea for SEO purposes, but the name was way too bulky and generic. The "bro" (in the German localization "Brudi" and in French "mec") gives the app its own character and contributes significantly to the distinction. On the other hand - according to my experience as a soccer coach and father of two teenagers - it is now widely used in everyday language.

What I don't want, of course, is to exclude women and girls from being addressed. In my everyday experience, however, "bro" is also used by female soccer players.

In any case, I'm very pleased that you like the app! 🙂
May I also ask you for feedback in the AppStore?

Last edited:

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-23 at 16.48.07.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-23 at 16.48.12.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-23 at 16.48.21.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra (49mm) - 2023-06-23 at 16.48.25.png

*** UPDATE 1.5 OUT NOW ***

- A reset of the game state is now possible again, even if no timer was started.
- If a timer was started, it must first be paused in order to reset the game. This serves as an additional protection against unintentional aborts.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
*** UPDATE 1.6 OUT NOW ***

- smaller bug fixes
- design improvements

What's next:

- Overview game stats after end of game
- Code adjustments for watchOS 10
- Widget (of course :cool:)
- Switch to Free with in-app purchases

any other suggestions?

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Got it!
Seems simple and nice.
A suggestion could be keep scoring with other sports’ rules other than football. Tennis comes to my mind, keeping track of the score is quite a task. But there should be no contact issue on keeping a watch on the wrist.
Will write a review after some usage.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
***New in Version 1.7***

THREE GAME MODES

Open game with continuous timer
Countdown timer with automatic halftime alert for all official game durations of juniors and seniors
Tournament timer with minute-by-minute adjustment between 5 and 15 minutes without halftime

COUNTDOWN TIMER

Modified logic with two halves counting down to 0 for better usability.
Additional symbol for 1st or 2nd half.

DESIGN ADJUSTMENTS

More icons, less text
Improved proportions on small screens
New lock screen for settings during active timer
New app icon

EN-Screen-1.jpg
EN-Screen-2.jpg
EN-Screen-3.jpg
EN-Screen-4.jpg

Reactions: cubodado

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
What's the Score, Bro? And how can you know that for sure? This how-to video answers the most important questions about the #1 match tracking app for the Apple Watch.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Still using this at every baseball game & still enjoying it. Season comes to an end Monday, but I'll try it out again when Soccer season starts up.

One more possible suggestion (this is more for the fans than for refs) would be some form of complication to quickly bring up the app.

I use it to track the score of the games from the stands. And it's great for that. It's hard to remember in baseball if it's 6-4 or 7-4. This makes it super easy. But I do also use my watch for other things during the games as well. Not a ton, but answering a text or making a call or whatever. The 'issue' that comes up is that when I use any other app, it bumps What's The Score Bro from it's place as the last used app, so I can't just double click the scroll wheel to get back to it. So now I have to click the side button & then select it from the dock. If there were a complication on the watch face, then I could just click that & save a step. Not a huge thing, but if you're looking for suggestions on things to add, this is the only other thing I can think of.

And I do like the additional colors. My nephew's team wears green, so it's nicer to set the colors to what colors the teams are wearing, rather than trying to remember who batted first.

Keep up the good work!

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Still using this at every baseball game & still enjoying it. Season comes to an end Monday, but I'll try it out again when Soccer season starts up.

One more possible suggestion (this is more for the fans than for refs) would be some form of complication to quickly bring up the app.

I use it to track the score of the games from the stands. And it's great for that. It's hard to remember in baseball if it's 6-4 or 7-4. This makes it super easy. But I do also use my watch for other things during the games as well. Not a ton, but answering a text or making a call or whatever. The 'issue' that comes up is that when I use any other app, it bumps What's The Score Bro from it's place as the last used app, so I can't just double click the scroll wheel to get back to it. So now I have to click the side button & then select it from the dock. If there were a complication on the watch face, then I could just click that & save a step. Not a huge thing, but if you're looking for suggestions on things to add, this is the only other thing I can think of.

And I do like the additional colors. My nephew's team wears green, so it's nicer to set the colors to what colors the teams are wearing, rather than trying to remember who batted first.

Keep up the good work!

I am very happy to hear that! In version 2.0 there will be adaptations for watchOS 10 and I have also planned a widget for it. I hope this is helpful for you.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Dear all,

you are the first to know: What’s the Score, Bro? 2.0 is now a completely new association football app with a wide range of functions, which is particularly interesting for referees and coaches:

• Record match events in a matter of seconds: Goals, substitutions, time penalties, warnings and sending offs.
  • View of the remaining time, the current minute of the match and the accumulated injury time
  • Overview of all time penalties with alarm function
  • Quick overview of all substitutions and penalties of both teams
  • Substitution of several players at once
  • Flexible division of length and number of halves
  • K.O.-games with extra time and penalty shootout
  • Cautions and sending offs with official IFAB reasoning
  • Automatic half time alarm
  • Complete match report as clear feed
  • Save matches directly to the Apple Watch
  • Change the shirt color
Attached are a few screenshots that you are very welcome to use. The app uses a lot of features/code that is only available since watchOS 10 and therefore also requires this version.

Link to the app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wie-stehts-brudi/id6449088307
Description of the functions with many GIFs, which you can also use: https://whatsthescorebro.com/how-to

Maybe you like.

Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.44.18.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.42.23.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.44.40.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.43.10.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.45.19.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 15.43.28.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 17.13.20.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 16.57.22.png

Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Series 9 (45mm) - 2023-10-17 at 08.58.13.png
Simulator Screenshot - Apple Watch Ultra 2 (49mm) - 2023-10-17 at 17.05.47.png

whatsthescorebro.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.