Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Version 2.1 is out!

This is the first major leap in versioning since the two appeared before the dot. The new version not only brings cosmetic improvements, but also a completely new timer with flexible additional time. The impetus for this came directly from the German Football Association (DFB) and DFB Schiri GmbH - thank you very much for that! ❤️

New: The timer continues to run during breaks​

As before, you can pause the timer during breaks. However, the timer now continues to run while the stoppage time is measured in the background.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-11-30-at-08.35.13.gif

This is in accordance with the official rules: Playing time is not stopped, but an additional time is added if there were longer interruptions during the game due to treatment or goal celebrations.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-11-30-at-08.36.04.gif

This flexible form of additional time is now also available with What's the Score, Bro?

When regular time comes to an end, a haptic alarm is triggered and the additional time starts with a timer that counts up. The color of the timer changes to red and a distinctive "+" symbol is added to the half-time indicator to prevent confusion.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-11-30-at-08.36.38.gif

As before, the indicator for the interruption time can be found as a red number below the timer. New: If the additional time reaches the exact - not rounded - level of the stoppage time, the indicator turns green and another haptic alarm is triggered.

Now you can blow the whistle.

New: Additional match minute also in the match report​

Who doesn't remember the 1999 Champions League final between FC Bayern Munich and Manchester United? The game was decided by two goals in additional time. Since then, not only have many more goals been scored in additional time, but cautions have also been given and players have been sent off, not to mention tactical substitutions. What's more, it feels like additional time is getting longer and longer.

To do justice to this, the match report now also shows the additional minute for each event in additional time.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-11-30-at-12.59.50.gif

Do you have any further suggestions or requests for improvement? Then drop a comment. :)

I'm happy if you like What's the Score, Bro? Especially if you leave me a rating in the App Store. 😍

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022

Version 2.1.2 is out now!

Hopefully you will never or only rarely need these new referee functions: You can now suspend or abandon matches completely. The suggestion came from Ole from Wiesbaden - many thanks for that!

Suspension of play​

You can access this option via the action buttons. Scroll all the way down. It doesn't matter whether you select the home or away team.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.22.19.gif
Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.22.55.gif

If you suspend the game, the game timer is paused and a yellow timer on the main screen shows you how long the suspension has lasted. You can resume the game at any time.

Simulator-Screenshot-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.24.33.png

If the match is resumed, you will find an entry in the match report about the duration of the suspension. You can add as many suspensions as you like and a separate report will be generated for each one. But hopefully this will never be the case.

Abandonment of the match​

It's the horror of every soccer / football referee: the game or the conditions get so ugly that nothing works anymore. I hope this never happens to you. If it does, you can end the game immediately in the app. You will find the option below the game interruption. This intermediate step prevents you from accidentally triggering the function.

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.28.03.gif

You can also end a game while a suspension is already in progress. In this case, only the abandonment of the game is recorded.

Soccer / football matches with penalty shoot-outs, but without extra time​

It's time for indoor tournaments again! It is customary to play many matches in close succession. In the knockout round, extra time is therefore often dispensed with and a decision is made directly via a penalty shoot-out. This is now also possible in What's the Score, Bro?

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.29.53.gif
Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.33.26.gif

Useful: At the end of a regular game, only the score and timer are reset, the remaining settings are retained. This is particularly useful in tournaments.

The reset function has also been adapted accordingly. You can now choose whether you only want to reset the score and timer or all settings.

New visualization of yellow-red cards​

I have revised the display of the cards. This affects both the match notes and the match report. Previously, yellow-red cards were displayed as red, now they are clearly different.

Simulator-Screenshot-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.35.51.png
Simulator-Screenshot-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-08-at-13.36.03.png

Temporary dismissals are now paused during an interruption relevant to additional time.​

Simulator-Screen-Recording-Apple-Watch-Series-9-45mm-2023-12-13-at-11.30.08.gif

Do you have any further suggestions or requests for improvement? Then drop a comment. :)
I'm happy if you like What's the Score, Bro? Especially if you leave me a rating in the App Store. 😍

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
A happy New Year 202.4 to you all. 🥳

Version 2.4 – From now on, no entry takes longer than 3 seconds​

29. January 2024

With this update, you're kicking it into high gear: Record goals, cautions, temporary dismissals, or substitutions in less than three seconds. Pen and paper can now stay permanently in your pocket, because the latest version of What's the Score, Bro? is based on the current IFAB rules for the 2023/24 season and thinks along with you:

• Before kickoff, you can input the rosters of both teams in just a few seconds. Incorrect entries due to duplicates or invalid player numbers are automatically detected, not accepted, and you'll receive a prompt. Transferring rosters to the Apple Watch is done in seconds, faster than inputting them on an iPhone.
  • Before the start of the game or at the beginning of extra time, tap twice on the score display of the respective team that has the kickoff. At halftime, the app now shows you who will be kicking off next.
  • For each game event, you now simply select the corresponding team and then tap on the jersey of the relevant player or – in the case of a group substitution – several players. You can do this in under three seconds.
  • Field players are displayed with a fully colored jersey, substitute players, and those with a time penalty are outlined in color.
  • For the first time, you can now caution and send off the coach as well. They will be displayed with their own jersey and a "C" in the roster overview and automatically created for each team.
  • The app follows the official IFAB rules for the 2023/24 season regarding cautions, sending-offs, and temporary dismissals. A second yellow card is automatically converted into a red card. Players who receive two temporary dismissals in the same game are excluded from the game after the second dismissal and can be replaced by a substitute player. A player who commits an offense warranting a caution or sending off during their temporary dismissal is permanently excluded from the game and cannot be replaced or substituted.
  • The new "Notebook" section is now much clearer: disciplinary actions and substitutions are now displayed separately from each other. Players substituted multiple times are now only shown once. The first temporary dismissal is represented by the familiar white-red stopwatch symbol, while the second temporary dismissal is represented by a yellow-red version.
  • In the settings, you can now specify whether multiple substitutions are allowed or not. With the latter option, once substituted players cannot be substituted again and are marked in the overview with a small padlock.
  • The app's design has once again been revamped and now appears uniform and professional in user guidance. After a game event, the view now automatically returns to the main screen.

More than ever, What's the Score, Bro? supports you in avoiding errors, drastically reducing note-taking time, and allowing you to focus entirely on the game.

I'm happy if you like What's the Score, Bro? Especially if you leave me a rating in the App Store. 🙏

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
A happy New Year 202.4 to you all. 🥳

Version 2.4 – From now on, no entry takes longer than 3 seconds​

29. January 2024

With this update, you're kicking it into high gear: Record goals, cautions, temporary dismissals, or substitutions in less than three seconds. Pen and paper can now stay permanently in your pocket, because the latest version of What's the Score, Bro? is based on the current IFAB rules for the 2023/24 season and thinks along with you:

• Before kickoff, you can input the rosters of both teams in just a few seconds. Incorrect entries due to duplicates or invalid player numbers are automatically detected, not accepted, and you'll receive a prompt. Transferring rosters to the Apple Watch is done in seconds, faster than inputting them on an iPhone.
  • Before the start of the game or at the beginning of extra time, tap twice on the score display of the respective team that has the kickoff. At halftime, the app now shows you who will be kicking off next.
  • For each game event, you now simply select the corresponding team and then tap on the jersey of the relevant player or – in the case of a group substitution – several players. You can do this in under three seconds.
  • Field players are displayed with a fully colored jersey, substitute players, and those with a time penalty are outlined in color.
  • For the first time, you can now caution and send off the coach as well. They will be displayed with their own jersey and a "C" in the roster overview and automatically created for each team.
  • The app follows the official IFAB rules for the 2023/24 season regarding cautions, sending-offs, and temporary dismissals. A second yellow card is automatically converted into a red card. Players who receive two temporary dismissals in the same game are excluded from the game after the second dismissal and can be replaced by a substitute player. A player who commits an offense warranting a caution or sending off during their temporary dismissal is permanently excluded from the game and cannot be replaced or substituted.
  • The new "Notebook" section is now much clearer: disciplinary actions and substitutions are now displayed separately from each other. Players substituted multiple times are now only shown once. The first temporary dismissal is represented by the familiar white-red stopwatch symbol, while the second temporary dismissal is represented by a yellow-red version.
  • In the settings, you can now specify whether multiple substitutions are allowed or not. With the latter option, once substituted players cannot be substituted again and are marked in the overview with a small padlock.
  • The app's design has once again been revamped and now appears uniform and professional in user guidance. After a game event, the view now automatically returns to the main screen.

More than ever, What's the Score, Bro? supports you in avoiding errors, drastically reducing note-taking time, and allowing you to focus entirely on the game.

I'm happy if you like What's the Score, Bro? Especially if you leave me a rating in the App Store. 🙏
Great to see this being actively developed. I left a review when I first started using the app last year. I just left another rating. While the app is now a lot more complex for my simple needs, it still does everything that o need (keeping score of my nephews games) easily enough. I’m not a soccer ref, but could see this as an all in one solution if I were. Recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Reactions: Thilo Specht

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Hi fam,

I have produced a video to show you all details of the latest version. If you like, please share it with friends and family. Have a nice weekend!

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
=== Update v2.4.1 ===
You can now also enter player numbers using the iPhone keyboard or your voice.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for the how to video. While I won't use 90% of the features, it was great to see how it worked. I did see a few things that I wasn't aware of. All in all, a pretty great app.

• Love
Reactions: Thilo Specht

Thilo Specht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
=== Update v2.4.21 ===

Greetings from Frankfurt, these three improvements are suggestions that came from you, the users. Thank you very much for that!

1. When defining the teams' rosters, in addition to the coach, three team officials are now automatically included, whom you can caution and send off. They are marked as A1, A2, and A3.
  2. Before the penalty shootout, you can now mark the team that takes the first penalty with a double tap. Subsequently, the team that is next to shoot will always be highlighted.
  3. If you pause the game, for example, for a goal celebration or treatment, your Apple Watch will now vibrate every five seconds to remind you to resume play.
  4. *** Update 2.4.21 *** I quickly added this: The "sound design" of the vibration alarm for halftime, reaching stoppage time, and the end of the game has been optimized. Also new: When you end halftime or the game, the alarm stops as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.