Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I know streaming over the net is the (not so) new hip thing these days and while also having subscriptions at Netflix and Prime I occasionally like to watch TV. I've been using a DVB-T usb stick together with EyeTV (formerly by Elgato, now owned by Geniatech) for years and it was a great experience.
However, here in Austria DVB-T is now finally being shut down by the end of year and replaced by DVB-T2 (in a special flavor that all program is encrypted). So special boxes that feature decryption are required, and none of these exist for use on PC or Mac to my knowledge today.

I'd like to continue having the option of watching TV on my Mac and realized satellite TV would be an option (cables and everything already exists in the house). Elgato used to offer several DVB-S hardware solutions under EyeTV brand a few years ago. Today however it seems most of these are not available anymore. They only offer some special "netstream" box, which unfortunately doesn't support encrypted TV also. Previously available products like EyeTV 410 and EyeTV SAT CI would have been perfect solutions, as they features a CI slot for putting in decryption module and smartcard of the local tv organization. But no new items of these are being sold anymore and it's even hard to find them on ebay or other second hand markets.

So long story short: given EyeTVs seemingly quite good third-party product support, are there any other DVB-S/DVB-S2 boxes featuring a CI-Slot (so I can insert a decryption module and smart card) on the market with support in EyeTV or at least any other Mac support? Is anybody else still watching (satellite) TV on their Macs or has everybody completely moved on to web streaming?

Reactions: George Dawes

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Elgato got sold off to the Chinese and from what's happened to my box - trouble free for c 10 years and now a total mess up , I don't hold my breath

I'm looking for an alternative too

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Maybe of interest for you: I managed to find an EyeTV Sat used on ebay for less than 50 bucks (actually quite expensive, I missed another one for about 25 bucks before). It has DVB-S2 and seems to work great. Only issue so far is with some national tv channels that are protected. I have a smart card and the CI module, but it won't recognize the module so far…

So if you can find anything on ebay or similar sites, grab it for a few bucks and try your luck. I've heard the new owner of EyeTV, Geniatech, is planning to release several new devices and has experience in TV hardware for years. But so far, not much happened since the owner change. (Reminds me a bit to the MacBluRay Player software, which also takes ages to receive meaningful updates, which had been promised months before, also owned by a Chinese company I believe. Although I am happy it exists, it works for what I need it for. ;))

Last edited:

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
It's all sorted , I hadn't updated the gracenote epg properly.

Amazing really the elegato gear , typical germans eh ? Brilliant engineers. My merc is a testament to that :)

Reactions: Canubis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.