Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
How long do they hold an item I wonder. I did use FEDEX hold at a Walgreen Pharmacy location once.....the $900.00 headphones disappeared....so I guess I would use a FEDEX store to hold the goodies! :)
As for how long they will hold I don’t know but contacting them and UPS in case it’s shipped that way could be easily done. I believe that the holds are done at the distribution sites not the local office. I also think that Apple has something set up along those issues.

Reactions: jazz1

devins

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
It's easy to imagine both scenarios, one where they want all the focus on the MBA this week until it starts shipping Friday, but equally that they drip feed product announcements one day at a time.
Ideally today they'll announce the iPads at lunch time (GMT), similar time to the Macbook yesterday along with the new magic keyboard case and maybe the 3rd gen Apple Pencil.

Been waiting on this since late August, I had literally bought a current gen ipad pro and keyboard case the day before the Macrumors post saying that there was big upgrade planned for early 2024 so been holding on since then, been a long 6 months without an ipad.
lol I just an m2 pro in December, then realized they were releasing new ones around now, so I returned the iPad, and got one from Costco (because of the 90 day returns policy) so now I can just return the iPad every 90 days and get the new one when it comes out 😂

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
And there weren’t any. ;)
I agree. A simple SoC update isn't major. At least Apple didn't up the price of the MBA. I wonder if they will be so kind for the iPad Pro here in the UK (LOL, fat chance). I can't wait for the base 13in iPad Pro to be £1.5k.

realrumors

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
90 days, you are able to buy the machine four times during one year and use them free. lolol
lol I just an m2 pro in December, then realized they were releasing new ones around now, so I returned the iPad, and got one from Costco (because of the 90 day returns policy) so now I can just return the iPad every 90 days and get the new one when it comes out 😂

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yeah I need to decide if I keep my 12.9 m2 I just got at costco for $850 or get the new M3, depends if it will look completely different or not??

• Wow
Reactions: Surfsalot and jazz1

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
You don't know, iPhone 17 is meant to bring over ProMotion. iPad Air lineup is on par with the base model iPhones...
I'd say it's about 50/50. 120Hz has been deliberately withheld from iPad Air to create artificial segmentation, and there have been no new major hardware differentiators to take its place. With OLED coming, it's possible that 120Hz could trickle down now. Hard to say if that's enough to let that happen and not cannibalize iPads Pro sales. If OLED brings a price increase, and iPad Air gets a new major feature at the same time...the impact of that is uncertain.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
iPads Pro.

And I would guess start of next week unless there is some reason they are being held until the end of the month.
At this rate of slow cadence of releases I fear you are right about the end of the month. I wonder how many people are going to just make do with their current devices during this seemingly long wait for release of the M3 iPad Pro? I know nothing about marketing strategies.

Others have speculated that there maybe supply chain issues.

The Other One

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
My husband's birthday is on April 2. Was hoping to be able to surprise him with a replacement of his third gen iPad Pro, but that's a rapidly shrinking window. Come on, Apple, hustle up!

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I was guessing earlier that Apple would stagger releases across the weeks to increase foot traffic & sales throughout the month. This weekend will be all about people coming in to see the new Airs.

With the rumors about the IOS, it wouldn't be out of the question for Apple to maybe drop the Apple TV or something else next week. Then on the 18th perhaps announce the new iPads. Or save it for the final week to ship with the new IOS, and the weeks in between being Apple TV and any other products.

I imagine Apple would like to see & tout some good figures this month, and staggered releases that don't cannibalize one another would be one way to go.

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
I was in a hurry to get a tablet for some apps that I really needed to use, so I bought an android tablet in the meantime. I know iPads are really cool, we all know that already, but Android tablets are starting to get good lately! I hope they can keep improving to pressure Apple into making either bigger changes to their iPads or make them more competitive in price. I paid less than $350 for a tablet with Android 14 (with 5 years of security updates), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and a 144hz screen. It's basically a bargain compared to the base model iPad. One thing that I would love to see come to iPadOS would be the ability to change the speed of the UI animations, that alone would make the 60hz iPads feel faster ngl.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
I was in a hurry to get a tablet for some apps that I really needed to use, so I bought an android tablet in the meantime. I know iPads are really cool, we all know that already, but Android tablets are starting to get good lately! I hope they can keep improving to pressure Apple into making either bigger changes to their iPads or make them more competitive in price. I paid less than $350 for a tablet with Android 14 (with 5 years of security updates), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and a 144hz screen. It's basically a bargain compared to the base model iPad. One thing that I would love to see come to iPadOS would be the ability to change the speed of the UI animations, that alone would make the 60hz iPads feel faster ngl.
Shhhhh people don't like to hear this around here ;)

• Haha
Reactions: jazz1 and nitrobear

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I imagine Apple would like to see & tout some good figures this month, and staggered releases that don't cannibalize one another would be one way to go.
Folks going to spend money on the things they want regardless on when Apple release products.

I think these staggered releases is more so to keep the Apple news cycle train going.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Folks going to spend money on the things they want regardless on when Apple release products.

I think these staggered releases is more so to keep the Apple news cycle train going.
Agreed! But, I wonder how many will use these delays to re-access what they really need?

For instance, my M1 iPad Pro is still going strong. So as enthusiastic as I am about the upcoming upgrade features there are some days that I consider just taking the $$$$ and upgrading my mirrorless camera.

Strike while the "iron is hot" Apple! At least make the official announcement about a release/order date! 😇

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Agreed! But, I wonder how many will use these delays to re-access what they really need?

For instance, my M1 iPad Pro is still going strong. So as enthusiastic as I am about the upcoming upgrade features there are some days that I consider just taking the $$$$ and upgrading my mirrorless camera.

Strike while the "iron is hot" Apple! At least make the official announcement about a release/order date! 😇

I think most M1 iPad Pro owners probably aren't looking to upgrade unless the OLED display or landscape camera is a must-have.

I've got the 11" and 12.9" M1/16GB/1TB cellular. They're both plenty fast, and have more than enough RAM and storage that I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, there's a thread already discussing about downgrading to the iPad Airs. So, I suspect there's quite a lot of undecided users.

I have a M1 iPP as well... I'm interested in seeing what the storage/RAM configuration before deciding what my plans going forward.

Because with all noise surrounding an iPad lineup shakeup... which means the price tiers might be adjusted.
Yeah, we are all speculating when the release is going to happen. And judging by the rumors it's due soon... there has to be some undisclosed information behind why Apple is releasing it on a specific date.

Because it should have been announced with the MacBook Airs! Makes me wonder whether cannibalizing sales is a legitimate reason for staggering. However, I think that those who are in the MBA camp will buy the latest model and those that desire a new iPad... will buy it.

Or maybe I'm wrong and there are many users deciding between an MBA or iPad.

Last edited:
  • Love

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I think most M1 iPad Pro owners probably aren't looking to upgrade unless the OLED display or landscape camera is a must-have.

I've got the 11" and 12.9" M1/16GB/1TB cellular. They're both plenty fast, and have more than enough RAM and storage that I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.
I have same model and it be a instant buy for 13” OLED my Gran Kids will gain the 12.9 M1 1TB they can fill it with games 😆

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

We all know people are to spend the money. That isn't my point. It's what you said at the end, and minimizing cannibalization of sales.

My point is that Apple will stagger releases to maximize foot traffic, hype, along with money generated. Why risk making someone choose between an iPad, Apple TV, Macbook Air, and accessories all at one time, so people think of the whole bill? As opposed to one week Airs. Maybe give a break and throw out Apple TV, another week another product, then end the month iPads possibly. Every week if not half of them this month will be customers coming into Apple stores looking at new products. With possible repeat potential buyers coming in again & again.

This an opportunity for Apple to get the money they lost without new iPads last year, and get possible buyers in store to look at a variety of new product.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
We all know people are to spend the money. That isn't my point. It's what you said at the end, and minimizing cannibalization of sales.

My point is that Apple will stagger releases to maximize foot traffic, hype, along with money generated. Why risk making someone choose between an iPad, Apple TV, Macbook Air, and accessories all at one time, so people think of the whole bill? As opposed to one week Airs. Maybe give a break and throw out Apple TV, another week another product, then end the month iPads possibly. Every week if not half of them this month will be customers coming into Apple stores looking at new products. With possible repeat potential buyers coming in again & again.

This an opportunity for Apple to get the money they lost without new iPads last year, and get possible buyers in store to look at a variety of new product.
I mean, I get your point. But Apple held normal events where they announced several products at one time and people still had to choose between purchases.

I didn't think an Apple TV was in the cards... rumors called for iPads, MBAs and accessories. And we are talking about Apple here... releasing some polarizing product that users have to pay $3500 for. I just don't buy the "let's spread it out so people won't buy it on one bill."

Reactions: zkap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.