Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottwiz105

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
My one disappointment is that my old Apple Pencil 2 isn’t compatible with the new Pro. I was looking forward to not spending money there. Hmm.
If you're talking about the 2nd gen pencil, if you go down to compatibility it lists 6th gen pros as compatible.
1715102437560.png

scottwiz105

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
That’s insane. I’m looking at the website… it’s claiming the old Magic Keyboard is not compatible with the new Pros as well.

I understand that Apple wants to sell accessories… I get it, but at least make the old ones compatible. If the new ones are that good.. let that be the reason we upgrade. Not because we are forced to do it.
Not sure if anyone else caught the comment in the keynote, but I thought they said the logo is copper material. If I heard it right, maybe that has something to do with how the device is powered through the new keyboard. Was trying to find backside views where the pin connections were, but I can't find any pictures to confirm.

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thank you for posting I just remembered my kids are in College 😆 which qualifies me for the education discount. I just cancel my order and reordered through the Apple online Education Store.
Arrgh forgot my education store discount. Have cancelled the iPad and reordered but the magic keyboard was already preparing to ship even though selected Sunday for delivery :rolleyes:.
As well as being pleasantly surprised with the standard price the UK educational discount for staff seems decent too.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Arrgh forgot my education store discount. Have cancelled the iPad and reordered but the magic keyboard was already preparing to ship even though selected Sunday for delivery :rolleyes:.
As well as being pleasantly surprised with the standard price the UK educational discount for staff seems decent too.
Is the discount still 10%?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not sure if anyone else caught the comment in the keynote, but I thought they said the logo is copper material. If I heard it right, maybe that has something to do with how the device is powered through the new keyboard. Was trying to find backside views where the pin connections were, but I can't find any pictures to confirm.
Maybe that's true. But I find it ridiculous that a company as big as Apple cannot design their devices and accessories backward compatible. Apple knew going in they wanted these new iPad Pros designed specifically for a new keyboard and it's not as if the new iPads are radically different.

I know they are for-profit corporation... so, it was a business move. But I don't like it.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Glad to see the bump in base storage to differentiate the lineup a little more. Disappointed with the bump in pricing on the Pro lineup but with OLED coming I kind of anticipated it. Also disappointed that Apple continues to dick around with RAM options within the Pro lineup. On the one hand they brought back feature parity between the 11-inch and 13-inch models by way of display technology but on the other there's still a need to step up to 1TB/2TB models just to get certain things like more RAM and the nano texture display.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I didn’t want to make a separate thread for this but seeing lots of hands on. When could we expect reviews from YouTubers and such?

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Is the discount still 10%?
Am UK based and it isn't a standard 10%. There was £50 off an 11" Air so £699 down to £649, £100 off the entry spec pro (11" 256gb) which is 10% in that case. £20 off the magic keyboard and £30 off the new M4 Pro keyboard and £10 off the Apple Pencil Pro.

So ordered the Air at 4pm UK time and have come home tonight watched the presentation and got seduced by the lovely thin pro so have gone and ordered that too now (Black 11" wifi 256gb with new keyboard and pro pencil. Will decide if the Pro is worth it for me when they come next week and I get a play! I cannot be trusted not to over spend :oops:

Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Am UK based and it isn't a standard 10%. There was £50 off an 11" Air so £699 down to £649, £100 off the entry spec pro (11" 256gb) which is 10% in that case. £20 off the magic keyboard and £30 off the new M4 Pro keyboard and £10 off the Apple Pencil Pro.

So ordered the Air at 4pm UK time and have come home tonight watched the presentation and got seduced by the lovely thin pro so have gone and ordered that too now (Black 11" wifi 256gb with new keyboard and pro pencil. Will decide if the Pro is worth it for me when they come next week and I get a play! I cannot be trusted not to over spend :oops:
Thanks. Apple have really watered down their discounts (education and other types) recently. I have now lost my education discount but find Costco to be an absolute gold mine now, often beating education discounts (sometimes it takes a few weeks/months to get there). I am holding firm until WWDC but I hope you enjoy your new goodies!

Reactions: troubleonline

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
$455 trade in for my m2 11 inch 1tb with WiFi and cellular , needless to say I turned to my co worker and asked him if he wanted it for $700 and he said sure lol that trade in price is more disrespectful than the Apple Watch trade ins

$580 trade in for M2 12.9 Wifi/Cellular. I was very disappointed in that trade value.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Ordered…

13”
Cellular
Space Black
1TB
Nano glass
Magic Keyboard - Black
Pencil Pro

Delivers Wednesday 15th May!

I'd be very interested to learn whether you think the nano glass changes the writing experience at all, changing the need for a screen saver.

Reactions: Hallstar

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Ordered…

13”
Cellular
Space Black
1TB
Nano glass
Magic Keyboard - Black
Pencil Pro
Apple Care +

Delivers Wednesday 15th May!

Having spent the evening deliberating on whether my purchase was made on impulse, or not… I have ordered a second 13 but with 256GB and Standard Glass.

In doing so, I have saved over £700!

I will put them both side-by-side on Wednesday and try them for a couple of days and decide which I’m keeping and return the one I’m not.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
ORDERED a Space Black 12.9 Pro 256 Gig, Black Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil Pro...total 1930 and change with tax. Cant wait. Everything i wanted (Sans Magsafe but thats not really practical now is it?)

Here is my question though... Apple is billing me funny. I tripple checked my email and order, i ordered everything correctly but they are taking the money out of my account funny....

They Charged me 1551.17 first charge which is more then what the Ipad Pro should cost, then 140 for what i am assuming is the apple pencil...

I did not get the nano screen....

and they still havent charged me for the magic keyboard and my apple care is set up for monty charges.

Weird...i hope they dont cause me to overdraft. I just never seen them do it like that before!

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
Guess I’ll wait until they are available in stores - I won’t have an address on the 15th. At least I’ll be close to an Apple Store either the 15th or the 16th.

Sure wish the timing were a little better, but at least I’ll be near an Apple Store when they become available.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I ordered my iPad Pro a minute or two before the keynote even ended:
Personalized iPad Pro with my name engraved
Space Black
13"
Nano-texture
2TB
Cellular
AppleCare+
Apple Pencil Pro with my name engraved
Black Magic Keyboard
Arriving May 15
Now I'm looking for a screen protector to protect my $4000+ iPad
ESR already has one on Amazon. Spigen on their site too for a lot more.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
The connector is shown on the diagram in the tech specs.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Guess I’ll wait until they are available in stores - I won’t have an address on the 15th. At least I’ll be close to an Apple Store either the 15th or the 16th.

Sure wish the timing were a little better, but at least I’ll be near an Apple Store when they become available.
Funny, we are in the exact same situation. Moving and driving across the country, thinking about whether I can stop by an Apple store on my way...

Reactions: mtngal

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Functional keys and haptic feedback in the trackpad
What do you mean by 'functional keys'? The keys in the old keyboard worked - what does the new one do differently? I must have been paying attention to something else when they discussed the new keyboard.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
They mentioned that the copper logo and graphite material as well are being used to conduct heat away from the chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.