Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So it seems some people are still having residual issues with HomeKit even after updating to the new architecture. Out of curiosity, are you still having issues and if so, when did you update to the new architecture, with 16.2 or 16.4.

I ask because since updating (I did with 16.4 for the first time), I must say HomeKit is pretty solid. I got back many things that were broken that I was sure would never be fixed. Examples are being able to delete, edit and toggle alarms, being able to use the “Test This Automation” feature, timed requests with the HomePod (“turn off the light in 10 minutes”), able to invite my wife back into HomeKit (she’s been out since 16.2), editing an automation is a lot faster, live camera feeds load up faster and more I’m sure of that I can’t think of at the moment. Just a generally more pleasant experience. Seems even better now with 16.4.1.

How are you guys/gals doing with HomeKit? Hope it’s working out for the rest of you.

Edit*

a couple things I’d like to see improved. The alarms and timers in the Home app take about 4-5 seconds to load up. Can’t remember if it was always like that but it would be nice if it was a little faster. I do feel like it was faster prior to OS16 but slowed down from 16.0 to 16.4 and now somewhere in between.

If the Home app is idle in the background for a while, I have quite a few accessories that take more than a few seconds to update. Thought this was the big highlight with the new architecture? Faster updating of accessories?

Last edited:
Reactions: pup and StumpyBloke

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I updated with 16.2 and it's performance has been sporadic since.. I get the "not responding" randomly and I also get Apple TV "playing" when it actually isn't. A forum member suggested giving every device it's own static IP address but I think it shouldn't need things like that to work properly and it didn't solve the random disconnects. The Meross app works perfectly to control devices even when HomeKit says "not responding" which is frustrating. Everything worked perfectly before updating to the "new" architecture so I really wish I didn't upgrade when it was offered or at least waited until it was re-released in 16.4..

• Sad
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I updated with 16.2 and it's performance has been sporadic since.. I get the "not responding" randomly and I also get Apple TV "playing" when it actually isn't. A forum member suggested giving every device it's own static IP address but I think it shouldn't need things like that to work properly and it didn't solve the random disconnects. The Meross app works perfectly to control devices even when HomeKit says "not responding" which is frustrating. Everything worked perfectly before updating to the "new" architecture so I really wish I didn't upgrade when it was offered or at least waited until it was re-released in 16.4..
There was no telling at the time it was going to be pulled and re-released. I would have updated with 16.2 as well but having 26 hubs in total, it takes time to update them all (I do them one at a time- one of those dances to the devil in hopes everything just works). It was pulled before I had the chance. This was what I was trying to gather. If the re-release is different. I have a good friend that’s having issues with the 16.2 architecture release. Wondering if a full nuke is required to fix it.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I upgraded with 16.2 and never had any issues. I suspect the number of devices and/or setup configuration may have also played a factor for those that did have issues. My setup is pretty basic. I just have one HomePod mini as my hub, four lights, one smart plug, and one camera.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I upgraded with 16.2 and never had any issues. I suspect the number of devices and/or setup configuration may have also played a factor for those that did have issues. My setup is pretty basic. I just have one HomePod mini as my hub, four lights, one smart plug, and one camera.
Any notable improvements with the new architecture?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Any notable improvements with the new architecture?
One of my lights is Bluetooth only and it responds much quicker now. It’ll turn on/off or change color within a second or so after making a request. It used to take at least a few seconds before. I really haven't noticed much of a difference other than that. My other lights and smart plug support Thread, so they were already quick to respond.

I think this article explains why my Bluetooth only light is quicker now. Basically, my HomePod mini should be maintaining a connection to it and the state of my home now. Whereas previously, it was whatever device I was using (iPhone, iPad, or Mac) that had to find it and make a connection whenever I made a request.

So how is the New Architecture more efficient and stable? With previous versions of HomeKit, your HomeKit "controller" (the Home app on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, for example) talked directly to each device in your home. The state of a device is not updated in the background, which is why when you open the Home app, devices say "Updating..." for awhile; the Home app is literally asking every device in your home for its current status. The more devices you have, the longer it can take.

In the New HomeKit Architecture, ALL HomeKit requests are serviced by the HomeKit Hub. Your Home app no longer need to query each device individually. The HomeKit Hub is continually maintaining an up-to-date status of each device and simply passes that information to the Home app.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
One of my lights is Bluetooth only and it responds much quicker now. It’ll turn on/off or change color within a second or so after making a request. It used to take at least a few seconds before. I really haven't noticed much of a difference other than that. My other lights and smart plug support Thread, so they were already quick to respond.

I think this article explains why my Bluetooth only light is quicker now. Basically, my HomePod mini should be maintaining a connection to it and the state of my home now. Whereas previously, it was whatever device I was using (iPhone, iPad, or Mac) that had to find it and make a connection whenever I made a request.
I’m still seeing “updating” delays when I open the Home app after it’s been idle for a bit, when in Wi-Fi. Confusing lol.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I think this article explains...
article: "The HomeKit Hub is continually maintaining an up-to-date status of each device and simply passes that information to the Home app."

Hmmm... except for the status of itself, which is frequently wrong and requires a click on the hub's tile to update status.

some-things-meme.jpg-.jpg

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
And all your devices are updated to the latest OS?
Yup, two homepod mini's and my iPhone and iPad. rebooted them all several times, no cigar. Has been like that since 16.4 and 16.4.1 update.

Would the homepod mini's being in stereo affect anything?

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yup, two homepod mini's and my iPhone and iPad. rebooted them all several times, no cigar. Has been like that since 16.4 and 16.4.1 update.

Would the homepod mini's being in stereo affect anything?
Shouldn’t. I have a bunch in stereo pair with no issues updating. Either should try factory resetting or try Apple Support. That’s odd.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
rebooted them all several times

Did you also reboot router? Sounds stupid and unrelated, but in the two months between 16.2 and 16.4, rebooting my router was the only way I could get HomeKit working again, and I had to do it once per day. Simply rebooting the hubs was not enough. I had to reboot my router while my hub was shut down.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Did you also reboot router? Sounds stupid and unrelated, but in the two months between 16.2 and 16.4, rebooting my router was the only way I could get HomeKit working again, and I had to do it once per day. Simply rebooting the hubs was not enough. I had to reboot my router while my hub was shut down.
No, but I will try it when I have the chance that will not disturb others in the house.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Have you thought about setting up everything with a static IP address or just fixing your network? 😉

I don't buy the network excuse. I only have two smart plugs hooked up to my Home and since the "new architecture" they haven't worked properly since. I never had an issue on the old architecture.. I even set everything up on static IP addresses with the same results. The devices show "updating" as well as my AppleTV showing "playing", "paused" or "not playing" when it's most definitely doing something different than what's displayed. The app for the smart plugs controls them perfectly with no issues. It's when it has to go through the Home Hub that it gets screwed up. I've just stopped using Home completely as Apple turned a feature that worked fine into a feature many have issues with even after they supposedly fixed the issues after the initial release..

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don't buy the network excuse. I only have two smart plugs hooked up to my Home and since the "new architecture" they haven't worked properly since. I never had an issue on the old architecture.. I even set everything up on static IP addresses with the same results. The devices show "updating" as well as my AppleTV showing "playing", "paused" or "not playing" when it's most definitely are doing something different than what's displayed. The app for the smart plugs controls them perfectly with no issues. It's when it has to go through the Home Hub that it gets screwed up. I've just stopped using Home completely as Apple turned a feature that worked fine into a feature many have issues with even after they supposedly fixed the issues after the initial release..
It’s a running joke. Def not the internet as someone adamantly claimed in another thread.

Trevanian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
When I was updating to 16.2 I got an error message that my network did not allow peer to peer... for the first time over the several months I have owned HomePods!
My ISP recommended creating port forwards for the HomePods to solve that. As my other Apple devices needed to talk to my HomePods, I did the same for them too.
The connection still dropped, so I assigned the IP from the corresponding port forward to each Apple device.
Since then the local network features, such as universal clipboard, finally work consistently on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.
However, the HomePods, two sets of two, keep failing and often when they fail, I get a “not responding” or the song just stops playing, although the HomePod seems unaware that it has stopped playing. I can’t help but think the inability to assign an IP on HomePods is related, because my wifi is as good as it gets and no other devices seem to encounter problems.
Apparently, certain Apple features want peer to peer and others do not. When the feature doesn’t get peer to peer, it still tries to make the connection through the internet, causing a huge delay that can be long enough to make the feature fail. I experienced this with taking calls from my iPhone on my iPad and universal clipboard on all devices.
I would recommend that anyone having these problems check to see if their ISP stops port forwarding and go from there. Also some VPNs block port forwarding. Apple’s error message is unreliable and my ISP didn’t go out of their way to tell me.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
When I was updating to 16.2 I got an error message that my network did not allow peer to peer... for the first time over the several months I have owned HomePods!
My ISP recommended creating port forwards for the HomePods to solve that. As my other Apple devices needed to talk to my HomePods, I did the same for them too.
The connection still dropped, so I assigned the IP from the corresponding port forward to each Apple device.
Since then the local network features, such as universal clipboard, finally work consistently on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.
However, the HomePods, two sets of two, keep failing and often when they fail, I get a “not responding” or the song just stops playing, although the HomePod seems unaware that it has stopped playing. I can’t help but think the inability to assign an IP on HomePods is related, because my wifi is as good as it gets and no other devices seem to encounter problems.
Apparently, certain Apple features want peer to peer and others do not. When the feature doesn’t get peer to peer, it still tries to make the connection through the internet, causing a huge delay that can be long enough to make the feature fail. I experienced this with taking calls from my iPhone on my iPad and universal clipboard on all devices.
I would recommend that anyone having these problems check to see if their ISP stops port forwarding and go from there. Also some VPNs block port forwarding. Apple’s error message is unreliable and my ISP didn’t go out of their way to tell me.

Sounds like all this port-forwarding would be slowing things down greatly. Not to mention the new problems with not being able to assign static IPs, which apparantly you now need because of the port forwarding. One solution causing a new problem?

Why not just disable/ignore your ISP's wifi and setup your own wifi router on your side of the ISP's connection? At that point your ISP would have nothing to say if you allow peer to peer, or any of the other common things you'd get out of box with a standard router.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Well this is bizarre. I ran the homekit architecture upgrade from my iPad running the public beta iPad OS 16.5, and it worked flawlessly.

Then on my iPhone, it said the home was not available. But i just clicked the + button and it re-appeared and reconfigured everything as it was....

Clearly something was wrong with my iPhone homekit app.

Last edited:

Trevanian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
Sounds like all this port-forwarding would be slowing things down greatly. Not to mention the new problems with not being able to assign static IPs, which apparantly you now need because of the port forwarding. One solution causing a new problem?

Why not just disable/ignore your ISP's wifi and setup your own wifi router on your side of the ISP's connection? At that point your ISP would have nothing to say if you allow peer to peer, or any of the other common things you'd get out of box with a standard router.
My experience is that it sped things up a great deal.
Until I took that step I never had consistent performance from universal clipboard or taking calls, furthermore, when those features engage now they work much faster than they used to; when they did!
I have gone back and forth on my own router for a while but at the end of the day I like to know I can return my rental anytime.
The only thing different about the network setup with the HomePods is the inability to assign an IP: all the devices with one are, finally, working well, the ones without are glitching, still. I don’t think that’s my ISP, I think that’s something with Apple. Some users need to be able to control IPs, for any number of reasons, and Apple simply will not give the HomePod user the control they get on their iPhone, iPad or Mac.
I would rather not have done any of this and it may not be worth doing for many but for the first time in months I have actually made progress with a number of issues so I felt it worth sharing.
And I have rebooted my HomePods when they glitched this morning. I can always hope it does something this time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.