Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
My experience is that it sped things up a great deal.
Until I took that step I never had consistent performance from universal clipboard or taking calls, furthermore, when those features engage now they work much faster than they used to; when they did!
I have gone back and forth on my own router for a while but at the end of the day I like to know I can return my rental anytime.
The only thing different about the network setup with the HomePods is the inability to assign an IP: all the devices with one are, finally, working well, the ones without are glitching, still. I don’t think that’s my ISP, I think that’s something with Apple. Some users need to be able to control IPs, for any number of reasons, and Apple simply will not give the HomePod user the control they get on their iPhone, iPad or Mac.
I would rather not have done any of this and it may not be worth doing for many but for the first time in months I have actually made progress with a number of issues so I felt it worth sharing.
And I have rebooted my HomePods when they glitched this morning. I can always hope it does something this time!

It seems like you have it under control, so I only want to clarify my previous suggestion:

Most people don't need to jump through such hoops, port forwarding, static IPs, etc. in order to get the basic Apple ecosystem working. Installing your own wifi router on your side of the modem would put you where most other people are at without any of your ISP's peer to peer restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.