Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you think a single-processor 1.2(5)GHz iMac will be released?

• October 2002

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • November 2002

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • December 2002

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • January 2003

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • After January 2003

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • Don't know, but I'm bettin' at the same time the 19-inch iMac is released

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Think much later when 1.25 GHz G4s are at the bottom or middle of the PowerMac line.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It won't be for quite some time, but the Power4 or G5 or what ever is next in line for the Mac will most likely be rolled out first. That will determine when we'll see it.

D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i say after january 2003

maybe the imac will get 1 ghz single processor before the end of this year

but the 1.25 ghz is likely AFTER macworld san francisco in january 2003...but if it happened then, that would be very nice

i would like to see something like this at mwsf

1 ghz imac - low end
1.25 ghz imac - middle
1.25 ghz imac with 17" screen - top of the line

this would be nice if it correspnded with a 1 and 1.25 ghz emac, an ibook at 1 ghz, tibook at 1.25 ghz, and powermacs to 1.5 or 1.6 ghz...essentially nothing under 1 ghz

...but that scenario is more likely for mid-2003 instead of january, 2003...the only item i could see still stuck under 1 ghz in mid-2003 would be low end ibook and the crt imacs which would both probably be stuck at 900 mhz

the age of mhz is soon leaving us and all personal computers on mac side will be 1 ghz+

i have not seen any pcs under a gigahertz for months now

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
July 2003 perhaps...one really has to consider what processor or speeds will the next PM sport.

High End 1.25 GHZ 19"
Middle 1.25 GHZ 17"
Low 1.00 GHZ 15"

all with 167Mhz Bus and the x-serve DDR hack would be sweet for July.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by mr evil brkfast
July 2003 perhaps...one really has to consider what processor or speeds will the next PM sport.

High End 1.25 GHZ 19"
Middle 1.25 GHZ 17"
Low 1.00 GHZ 15"

all with 167Mhz Bus and the x-serve DDR hack would be sweet for July.

That's nice, but I'm hoping for January. Somehow I have this gutsy feeling that Moto is really gonna start stepping up to the plate and getting things done since the switch ads came out. The sooner the better, I say. Oh, and BTW, Apple may be planning to phase out the 15-inch iMacs this month. This is the way I envision the next generation of iMacs:

High End 1.25 GHz 19"
Middle-High 1.25 GHz 17"
Middle 1.00 GHz 17"
Low 867 MHz 17"

all with 167Mhz Bus and DDR

;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Shrek

HAHA. Very funny, iGAV. After looking hard enough, I found the dates at the MacWorld Expo website.

Uh oh. Now I look I'm trying to increase my post count! :eek:

I wasn't answering that...... I was answering...

"When do you think an SP 1.2(5)GHz iMac will be released?"

;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
the 17 inch screen looks huge and i couldn't imagine what the 19 inch would look like...they might have to add weight to the base to keep it stable

the 17 looks just fine and when i moved it around the base was rock solid

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
i think the iMac really needs a speed boost it is almost a year old and it is still 800MHz I think the 17in was a way to get more time to boost the speed.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
I think they will never make the imac so "fast" that soon.
There will be upgrades....but they way apple does it. :)

the 700 model goes to 800 and the 800 to 933 maybe.
1.25 is out of the question. you are all dreaming :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

Oh, really. 2004? Hmmm. I think you're overreacting a bit. :p

Not when the current iMac is only at 800MHz...... I reckon I could be spot on here......:)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
I think they will never make the imac so "fast" that soon.
There will be upgrades....but they way apple does it. :)

the 700 model goes to 800 and the 800 to 933 maybe.
1.25 is out of the question. you are all dreaming :)

Hold your expectations for Apple high and they will do their best, otherwise they'll do their worst.

When customers asked for a bigger screen for the iMac they listened and gave us a 17". Now were asking for a 1.25GHz iMac with a 19" screen by January 2003. If we hold our expectations for Apple high we may not get what we wanted, but we'll get a lot closer to it than just a 133MHz speed bump. ;)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by iGAV

Not when the current iMac is only at 800MHz...... I reckon I could be spot on here......:)

Do you really think there going to hold back that much when Intel and AMD will likely be manufacturing 4GHz processors by then? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. That would scare potential switchers and current Mac users away! :eek:

Like I said, put your expectations high. Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by jefhatfield
[the only item i could see still stuck under 1 ghz in mid-2003 would be low end ibook and the crt imacs which would both probably be stuck at 900 mhz

I'd say apple are goin to eliminate the crt imac by then.Correct me if im wrong but isnt the snow white model the only one that remains and i dont think the graphics chip is even Quartz Extreme compliant?Itll probably be read its last rites very soon.its a pity cos my computer teacher loved that little crt model and for some strange reason has it in for the eMac...dont ask me why.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Creative visualisation

I tend to agree with Shrek.Positive thoughts about the new hardware could result in sizeable improvements.As a believer in creative visualisation i think we should have a poll and create a spec that would please most people.Then we meditate every night and visualise said spec,picture it in your minds eye,feel the emotions that it would invoke in you if you had it and hopefully said machine will condense into matter.

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Re: Creative visualisation

I agree with Angelus... i think that the G3 imac is around only until they can drop the price on the base emac (same specs).

I would love to see Shrek's specs but I can only be hopeful of them if I know that the powermacs will be getting a big boost or new chip.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I think the idea of a 19inch screen imac is great but i just thought of one thing.The attraction of powermacs apart from the dual processor,extra hard drives and better graphics cards capabilities is the ability to add larger monitors eg.fabulous 22" or 23"HD displays.
If apple were to manufacture an imac with a 1ghz+G4,133Mhz bus and 19inch lcd it would probably have a better graphics card to drive the display and a superdrive as it would be the top model. in my opinion that could blur the line between the consumer and pro range.The price would go up i presume but it would still be cheaper than a lowend powermac with 17"lcd and you would also get more screen real estate.
Granted if your a professional you will most likely go for the gusto and buy a DP1.25Ghz but for the person who is lets say an incredibly enthusiastic consumer what would you prefer a dual 867Mhz with 17"lcd or a 1Ghz imac with 19inch lcd all in a neat little package(including superdrive+probably better graphics card).

This of course will only apply to someone who wants all apple cos they could just buy the DP867,add memory and cards and just buy a cheap,bulky crt(but then they will probably be plagued with a lack of space,high electricity bills and poor eyesight :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

Do you really think there going to hold back that much when Intel and AMD will likely be manufacturing 4GHz processors by then? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. That would scare potential switchers and current Mac users away! :eek:

Like I said, put your expectations high. Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

Well look at the facts....... the iMac G4 is still stuck at 800MHz.... has been for months...... we're likely to see a 933MHz and 1GHz way before Apple even consider sticking in their fastest processor in it's consumer offerings..... (Although I'm always happy for Apple to prove me wrong)

AMD won't be anywhere near 4GHz by then.... they're beginning to slack exactly like Motorola......

And as for putting your expectations high....... then we having to suffer the same f*@king winjers when Apples' releases do not match the 'head-in-the-clouds' rumors...... And subsequent multiple threads with morons threatening to jump ship because Apple didn't release this or that........

I'm merely being realistic......... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.