Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When do you think a single-processor 1.2(5)GHz iMac will be released?

• October 2002

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • November 2002

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • December 2002

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • January 2003

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • After January 2003

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • Don't know, but I'm bettin' at the same time the 19-inch iMac is released

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
Originally posted by Angelus
This of course will only apply to someone who wants all apple cos they could just buy the DP867,add memory and cards and just buy a cheap,bulky crt (but then they will probably be plagued with a lack of space, high electricity bills and poor eyesight :)
And grow hairs on the palms of their hands probably. :p

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by iGAV

Well look at the facts....... the iMac G4 is still stuck at 800MHz.... has been for months...... we're likely to see a 933MHz and 1GHz way before Apple even consider sticking in their fastest processor in it's consumer offerings..... (Although I'm always happy for Apple to prove me wrong)

AMD won't be anywhere near 4GHz by then.... they're beginning to slack exactly like Motorola......

And as for putting your expectations high....... then we having to suffer the same f*@king winjers when Apples' releases do not match the 'head-in-the-clouds' rumors...... And subsequent multiple threads with morons threatening to jump ship because Apple didn't release this or that........

I'm merely being realistic......... :)

ARRRGH!!! I CAN'T STAND PESSIMISTS!!! :mad:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
How come nobody is asking for a solar powered PowerBook that recharges in the dark?

Wouldn't that solve the battery life problems related to all those gadgets you want stuffed into a limited space?

Note: I would have said nuclear powered, but I didn't think people would like nuking their nads.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand

I'm merely being realistic......... :)

Of course this raises the question as to whether we are slaves to reality or its masters who choose to create our own reality. I think its better to be optimistic about what apple can offer.Sure we may be dissappointed every once in a while but its either that or living your life expecting the worst so that whatever happens will be better than your expectations.
Maybe we can bring back the Think Different campaign.Use your imaginations,live in the clouds,think martin luther"i have a dream",think superman "up,up and away" :)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA

Of course this raises the question as to whether we are slaves to reality or its masters who choose to create our own reality. I think its better to be optimistic about what apple can offer.Sure we may be dissappointed every once in a while but its either that or living your life expecting the worst so that whatever happens will be better than your expectations.
Maybe we can bring back the Think Different campaign.Use your imaginations,live in the clouds,think martin luther"i have a dream",think superman "up,up and away" :)

Thank you, Angelus. That is exactly the words I was looking for. :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002

I'm always optimistic about what Apple offers....... I'm almost never pessimistic about Apples products...mainly because I don't believe the unbelieveable rumors....

Being a realist means that you never really suffer the pitfalls of being over optimistic, or pessimistic....... ;)

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA

Being a realist means that you never really suffer the pitfalls of being over optimistic, or pessimistic....... ;)

Talk about not getting real! Asking for a 1.25GHz 19" iMac by January 2003 is not overly optimistic, especially with the rumors of the IBM PPC Power4 and Moto's 90-nanometer technology and the Enquirer posting an article about the possibility of a 19" iMac arriving in the fourth quarter! Now who's being real?! ;) Do your research before you make such predisposed judgments! :p

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Shrek

Talk about not getting real! Asking for a 1.25GHz 19" iMac by January 2003 is not overly optimistic, especially with the rumors of the IBM PPC Power4 and Moto's 90-nanometer technology and the Enquirer posting an article about the possibility of a 19" iMac arriving in the fourth quarter! Now who's being real?! ;) Do your research before you make such predisposed judgments! :p

Well if you think that the speed of the iMac is going to increase by 450MHz in January 2003 then good for you...... I really hope it comes true....

The IBM processor, if it is destined for it the Mac... then I personally do not believe we're going to see this anytime soon.......

And what the hell has a 19" iMac G4 got to do with having a 1.25GHz processor installed as well??? Absolutely sweet F.A. that's what......:rolleyes:

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I think that in order to see a 1.25Ghz chip in an iMac,Apple will first of all have to move beyond its current "stopgap"powermac range.They will need to implement faster chips aswell as true DDR architecture.God knows we may see a situation like last january where the lines between consumer and pro products were blurred for a while until apple introduced the 800Mhz,933Mhz,DP1Ghz range.The iMac certainly cant stay at 800Mhz for ever,a year has almost passed ,but since the current DDR implementation in the powermacs isnt yielding a great many improvements apple will have to hold back the imac in terms of processor speed and system bus. I think Apple should be focusing on the Powermac systems and get them sorted out,faster(Newer) chips,true DDR architecture etc.Then they can ramp up the imac specs and still maintain a sizeable difference in performance between the consumer and pro lines.

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Until we see what happens with the powermac I can see no reason to expect a huge increase in speed in the imac.

How can apple release an imac higher than 1 ghz until they have at least bumped the PM line up to 1 ghz dual low end?

orangedv

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2002
England
R.E. Pessimism.

Ok lets recap;

First the new power macs, here is a fresh quote from Macuser UK, who’s tests are held in great respect. “There's just not enough performance or value in the 1GHz DP model to recommend it”

The imacs are being compared to PC’s that are not exactly top flight machinery from the entire PC range.

The gap between Macs and PC’s in terms of power for money paid, is growing wider, not shrinking.

The apple board have effectively turned OSX from a promising Unix based system to a money gathering scam via jaguar/dot Mac, and Mr Jobs has another what $40 mil (did I read that correctly?) in the bank.

Its no good saying that on the one hand apple is a business not a charity, lets give them a break, and then TREATING them like a charity when they are down. If they want my money and that of goodness knows how many others, they need to stop fleecing people with software pricing, and get some decent hardware out NOW, not in 04, business wont wait.

I say, if THAT lot doesn’t call for some healthy pessimism, then god knows what does!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.