Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will the new MacBook Air M3 be released?

• January Press Release

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • March event

Votes: 68 61.8%
  • WWDC

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • October event

Votes: 8 7.3%

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
the problem will always be the 8/256...
will the memories be as slow as on the M2?
will prices be higher?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Well considering the iPad Air is about to refresh with M2 plus Vision Pro having M2, alongside still selling M2 Macs I think it’s a safe bet they have quite a large amount still lying around
I’m not sure I understand. Apple generally doesn’t stockpile parts. Why would they stockpile M2s for future products? They know when new M2 products are going to be released. They would time the manufacture of new M2s with those needs taking the lead-time for chip manufacturing into account.

Reactions: Jamacfer

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I’m not sure I understand. Apple generally doesn’t stockpile parts. Why would they stockpile M2s for future products? They know when new M2 products are going to be released. They would time the manufacture of new M2s with those needs taking the lead-time for chip manufacturing into account.
They likely have bought in excess to get a better deal (cost per chip) on top of that Mac sales have dropped significantly since the pandemic so it’s likely they will have surplus due to that, plus we have had chip shortages which gives reason for Apple to ensure they have too many rather than too little in order to keep stock levels at an acceptable level.

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium
I don't think they will wait until WWDC to release the new MacBook Airs. I'd expect them during the first quarter of 2024, approximately nine months after the release of the 15-inch M2. The 13-inch in particular is long overdue an update, so I don't expect Apple to go two years between MBA upgrades.

Reactions: mcru21 and Jamacfer

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
the problem will always be the 8/256...
will the memories be as slow as on the M2?
will prices be higher?
I expect the M3 Air line up will retain the 8/256 config at base. They definitely won’t bump the RAM, now the pro still has 8GB, they may increase the memory to 512 but I really doubt it without a substantial price bump and I doubt Apple will want to increase the current attractive starting prices.

Reactions: snipr125

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Voted for both March and WWDC because I suspect the reveal will be in between those, in April.

MBAs can make good graduation presents for kids going off to college. So give the kid an MBA at graduation in May/June, gives them a couple of months with it before they head off to college.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I've haven't seen Costco (my retailer of choice) carry the 16GB MBA. The link you provide is still to the 8GB version (512GB) which is a standard retail version. I have seen Bestbuy occasionally carry some 16GB versions, but usually limited (like I think last time was 16GB/1TB in midnight only).

Didn't realize that the 8/512 was a standard retail offering.

Last month, I thought I spotted the 16/1 config at both BB and CC in all the colors. They were selling for $1650 at BB. I'm pretty sure I was even able to select a Starlight in a 16/1. (Alas, the Wayback Machine, archive.org, doesn’t include BB to check.) Now, however, I wonder if what I saw were the colors choices, but with certain RAM & SSD choices greyed out.

Best Buy is still selling the 16/1 config but, as you noted, only in Midnight. Makes me wonder if that color is selling more poorly than others (fingerprint & scratches) and Apple is providing it to retailers to clear excess inventory.

Thanks, in any case, for the gracious correction!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Hopefully no time soon. I pulled trigger on a M2 MBA/512 last week. I don't want to play this "which M3" do I want/need. I'm really annoyed they did this. I'd like to think the "entry" M3 isn't much faster than the M2.

Reactions: Saturn007

Bel Marduk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Hopefully no time soon. I pulled trigger on a M2 MBA/512 last week. I don't want to play this "which M3" do I want/need. I'm really annoyed they did this. I'd like to think the "entry" M3 isn't much faster than the M2.

Glad you like it. I never understood the point of the thing. Bring back the 12" MacBook with two ports, M3 and a better keyboard.. and I'll be so happy.

Reactions: Saturn007 and Gix1k

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Glad you like it. I never understood the point of the thing. Bring back the 12" MacBook with two ports, M3 and a better keyboard.. and I'll be so happy.

I had the 12”. It was a great machine. The size was surprisingly good.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Introduced way too late in the M2 cycle. Everyone knows it is going to be replaced soon. I bet the M3 version sells better.
I agree. I myself decided to stick with my intel 16" MBP a little longer even though I love the size of the 15" MBA and its enough computing power for my needs. I would love to replace my current machine but I decided to wait for the M3 MBA to do so.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I had the 12”. It was a great machine. The size was surprisingly good.
I still have my little 12 laying around.. I loved that little machine. Unfortunately the screen got cracked and it wasn't worth it to replace it... But I've found use for it connected to a monitor in my son's room. He's only 9 so its perfect for his needs which is mostly homework in google classroom and roblox.

Reactions: Gix1k and Saturn007

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
I'd like to think the "entry" M3 isn't much faster than the M2.

And, you'd be right according to most of the reports that have come out!

Their similarity in speed and Apple's assertion they have identical battery life for browsing have been enough to make many of us happy to buy an M2 now rather than wait for the M3 and many others even more content with their current M2s.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do we think future MBA’s (notably the midnight and graphite models) will receive the same anodization process that minimalises fingerprints?

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Likely, but they'll no longer be in “Midnight”, but will come in “Space Black”!😁

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
They need to update the Air quickly. A decent chunk of potential customers will now be waiting for the M3 versions after the MBP launches and another decent chunk of potential customers will ask their techie friend and be told to wait for the M3 versions. I suspect the only thing holding back a lunch is the lack of M3 chips. My guess is that the M3 chips for the Air come from the newer 3 nm process N3E at TSMC (with higher yields). I believe high volume manufacture of that process was scheduled for last quarter, meaning new products in Q1 of 2024 are likely.

Also, no way this gets an event to itself. If it hitches a ride with the Vision Pro then maybe, otherwise I predict a press release: the design and M3 chip details have already been presented (same for the next Mac Mini). The only Mac event left this generation is likely to be the Mac Studio/Pro and M3 Ultra chip. Potentially I can also see the M3 MBPs getting a bump at WWDC (e.g. M3 chips using the N3E process with additional CPU/GPU cores due to improved yields / less binned chips).

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Likely, but they'll no longer be in “Midnight”, but will come in “Space Black”!😁

Where did you read this? 👀

Not read anywhere, just applying common sense!

Apple's introduction of the new black color “Space Black” for its MacBook Pro laptops — and touting their fingerprint resistant coating — means they are NOT likely to continue using the roundly criticized Midnight finish on any new MacBook Air.

Add in the reality that Apple is making custom configurations (e.g., 16GB-1TB) of the MacBook Air available to third party retailers for Black Friday, but only in Midnight, suggests they have excess inventory and are trying to unload them.

They, thus, recognize the disaster the Midnight finish was in the market, have developed a solution, and will want to apply it going forward, especially with any future models.

Note: This doesn’t mean that many have no issues with Midnight — still like the color, aren't bothered by fingerprints, or don’t have or aren’t bothered by the port scratch problem. I'm not trying to resurrect that debate.

My point isn’t about how bad or irrelevant that problem was, but Apple's response and its developing the new Space Black color and finish and touting its resistance to fingerprints.

——————

P.S. In posting in another thread, I realized there is a possibility that Apple could start applying its new anti-fingerprint coating to the Midnight color. That is, if they are compatible. So, there is that! (Glad I could point out this obvious objection before anyone else did! 😁)

My suspicion, though, is that Apple would still rather avoid the controversy or confusion that would come with continuing Midnight. OTOH, look at how long they kept the butterfly keyboard!

Last edited:

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
I'm thinking WWDC. So they can get it out in time for "back to school" campaigns. Sure, it could come earlier, but the main problem seem to be that the M3 chip is expensive to produce and have in a laptop that needs to start close to the current $1099 mark. The longer they wait the better this situation probably becomes.

They need to update the Air quickly. A decent chunk of potential customers will now be waiting for the M3 versions after the MBP launches and another decent chunk of potential customers will ask their techie friend and be told to wait for the M3 versions. I suspect the only thing holding back a lunch is the lack of M3 chips. My guess is that the M3 chips for the Air come from the newer 3 nm process N3E at TSMC (with higher yields). I believe high volume manufacture of that process was scheduled for last quarter, meaning new products in Q1 of 2024 are likely.

Also, no way this gets an event to itself. If it hitches a ride with the Vision Pro then maybe, otherwise I predict a press release: the design and M3 chip details have already been presented (same for the next Mac Mini). The only Mac event left this generation is likely to be the Mac Studio/Pro and M3 Ultra chip. Potentially I can also see the M3 MBPs getting a bump at WWDC (e.g. M3 chips using the N3E process with additional CPU/GPU cores due to improved yields / less binned chips).
N3B designs are not compatible with N3E so that would mean additional R&D being spent moving to that node, negating some of the benefit. N3P would be a better choice but is further away. It's possible that N3B with time just gets good enough yields to get down the costs of the M3 to an OK level.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I think they will wait for WWDC. That will give the 15in one full year before updating, and it will get the 13in and 15in synced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.