Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will the new MacBook Air M3 be released?

• January Press Release

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • March event

Votes: 68 61.8%
  • WWDC

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • October event

Votes: 8 7.3%

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
They need to update the Air quickly. A decent chunk of potential customers will now be waiting for the M3 versions after the MBP launches and another decent chunk of potential customers will ask their techie friend and be told to wait for the M3 versions. I suspect the only thing holding back a lunch is the lack of M3 chips. My guess is that the M3 chips for the Air come from the newer 3 nm process N3E at TSMC (with higher yields). I believe high volume manufacture of that process was scheduled for last quarter, meaning new products in Q1 of 2024 are likely.

Also, no way this gets an event to itself. If it hitches a ride with the Vision Pro then maybe, otherwise I predict a press release: the design and M3 chip details have already been presented (same for the next Mac Mini). The only Mac event left this generation is likely to be the Mac Studio/Pro and M3 Ultra chip. Potentially I can also see the M3 MBPs getting a bump at WWDC (e.g. M3 chips using the N3E process with additional CPU/GPU cores due to improved yields / less binned chips).
This is me. I'm looking forward to finally making the jump to a Mac, as I'm currently a lifelong PC user. The MBA is definitely the one I want, but it doesn't make sense to me to get an M2 that's already a year and a half old when the M3 version will hopefully be coming out soon. But if a Windows laptop that I really like should happen to come out in the meantime and tempt me... Apple might lose the chance to win me over. I'm currently using a 2nd gen Surface Laptop that has served me well for almost 5 years. If MS releases the 6th gen before Apple puts out the M3 Air, I might go for that instead.

I'm probably not the only one who feels this way, so it's in Apple's best interest to get new MBAs out. I hope they won't wait until summer/back to school time.

Bel Marduk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
I'm probably not the only one who feels this way, so it's in Apple's best interest to get new MBAs out. I hope they won't wait until summer/back to school time.

You're definitely not. Mac sales were WAY down in 2023 and its surely in Apple's financial interest to release a new version of its best-selling Mac sooner rather than later.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm an Apple guy for over 20 years now and was ready to buy M2 MBair 15" on launch day... until I configured it as I want it (more RAM and SSD) and saw the price step above comparable MBpros available in various deals.

Having recently embraced adding a Mac Mini-like PC for "old fashioned bootcamp" with my Silicon desktop and having the ability to buy RAM & SSD for it at competitive prices, the Apple premium- IMO- is just too high. I just picked up 8TB of SSD at retail (quantity ONE) for under $700 a few days ago vs. paying Apple $2200 for an 8TB "upgrade" (purchased at Apple volume with Apple buying power). In fact, for what the configured MBair would cost, I got the entire PC with good graphics card, 64GB fast RAM and 2TB + 8TB (or 10TB of fast) SSDs for LESS.

So, I purchased nothing that day... instead opting to do some battery surgery on my aging Intel MBpro for $55. It was a success and I'll probably use it for a few more years now (right through M3 and probably M4). If Apple hasn't evolved away from very UNcompetitive pricing for RAM & SSD by then, my next laptop may be a PC.

The Apple premium + RAM premium + SSD premium will buy a LOT of PC tech (and then some). Yes, Windows is not macOS but- IMO- some sacrifices are worth it versus other $acrifice$. I bet I'm not the only one. It's feeling like the Apple that drew me in 2 decades ago is becoming far too much AAPL. Shareholders rejoice... but customers deserve some value (ROI) too.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I'm an Apple guy for over 20 years now and was ready to buy M2 MBair 15" on launch day... until I configured it as I want it (more RAM and SSD) and saw the price step above comparable MBpros available in various deals.

Same situation for me
Really frustrating

I guess their pricing strategy is worth it to them overall, but I do sometimes wonder if they realize how many are not buying anything at all because of it. That is data that is hard (if not impossible) to get.

I simply refuse to be gouged on component upgrades that are, objectively, an absolute total complete rip off.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
seems like a boring spec bump

but if spec bump is all people were after, or having the latest, then it checks the boxes

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
seems like a boring spec bump

but if spec bump is all people were after, or having the latest, then it checks the boxes
Yea I wasn't expecting anything major since it just had a design overhaul for the m2 series. No reason for me to upgrade from my m2 air but I wasn't expecting to either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.