Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarona

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
learn a difference between relative and absolute. macs are making tens of billions of dollars
#facepalm. Definitely hard of chart reading. This is simply not true. Look at the second chart again. To be generous, let's call it $2 billion a quarter in 2011, much less in 2010. To say "making tens of billions" is just a lie. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "has made tens of billions over the last two decades.

iphone is just a phone if you dont have a mac. but if you do, especially now with mountain lion/icloud its becoming much more. imagine the further releases. its all about integration, every step apple takes is towards better integration.
Umm, dude. I develop techology for a living and own a software company. I'm not dazzled by fancy shmancy marketing. I know *exactly* what vertical integration of Apple products get you (and what it doesn't get you). Just a phone? Catch a clue. iPhone revolutionized mobile tech 3 years ago and it had NOTHING to do with integration with a laptop or desktop PC.

and you cant have integration without a mac.
I think you just argued that Apple is the ONLY company that provides vertical integration of their products. Which is a pretty fantastic (and frankly weird) claim. So... I'm not gonna touch this one.

facts only tell 50% of the story (i would say 30%). you need to put those facts in context.
And just make up the other 70% right? :D Cooool.

thats what differentiates people and their capabilities. today, everybody has facts (internet) but not all know what to make of them ;) cheers
On this we agree completely.

So you've not made a single compelling argument for why Apple would maintain a product line that gives them lower revenues and takes away demand from their profitable product line. You talk about integration with iCloud. But hold on to your keyboard and let me blow your mind for a second... iCloud is.... wait for it.... a SOFTWARE product which is based in.... wait for it.... the cloud. In other words, this vaunted integration you talk about has ZERO to do with physical devices and everything to do with software.

The lightbulb goes on in 3...2...1

aarona

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
....I wouldn't be surprised if Apple was making more profit on computer sales than all other PC manufacturers combined.
I get the feeling you surprise easily... ;)

FYI: Wimpy little Dell made about twice the profit that Apple did off the Mac line in Q4-2011

Surprised yet? :D

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
- "Apple is sheer genius!" +34
- "Hum... I had this back in 2011, when it was called a Motorola Atrix" -96
- "Nyuh uh, this is nothing like the Atrix because people are actually buying this" +154
- "But it's the same god damn thing. Apple just copied it" -253
- "Samsung are the only ones that copy!" +378
- "We weren't even talking about Samsung ?!?" -456
Because it's not good until Apple does it! (Notification Center and "Multitasking" anyone?)

It's also funny because Webtop/Ubuntu for Android is actually really really good.

-------
Is arguing over what The next next Mac OS version will be called before we even have Mac OS 10.8 really worth it? Unless one of you is specifically on the Apple naming team (or whoever does it), all you say is speculation, not guaranteed. Go argue about something useful now.

I get the feeling you surprise easily... ;)

FYI: Wimpy little Dell made about twice the profit that Apple did off the Mac line in Q4-2011

Surprised yet? :D

Are you talking from ALL of Dell's profit? Because...
On a gross margin basis, I think almost two-thirds of our gross margin now comes from server, storage, network, services, software, peripherals. So from that standpoint, the epicenter of the company has really shifted in terms of profitability to these other areas and away from the PC, which is now only about one-third of the Company’s margin.

The only reason their profits were so high was because they capitalized on other areas. I cant' find their profit direct from PC's, but I'm sure it's very small

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
#facepalm. Definitely hard of chart reading. This is simply not true. Look at the second chart again. To be generous, let's call it $2 billion a quarter in 2011, much less in 2010. To say "making tens of billions" is just a lie. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant "has made tens of billions over the last two decades.

Umm, dude. I develop techology for a living and own a software company. I'm not dazzled by fancy shmancy marketing. I know *exactly* what vertical integration of Apple products get you (and what it doesn't get you). Just a phone? Catch a clue. iPhone revolutionized mobile tech 3 years ago and it had NOTHING to do with integration with a laptop or desktop PC.

I think you just argued that Apple is the ONLY company that provides vertical integration of their products. Which is a pretty fantastic (and frankly weird) claim. So... I'm not gonna touch this one.

And just make up the other 70% right? :D Cooool.

On this we agree completely.

So you've not made a single compelling argument for why Apple would maintain a product line that gives them lower revenues and takes away demand from their profitable product line. You talk about integration with iCloud. But hold on to your keyboard and let me blow your mind for a second... iCloud is.... wait for it.... a SOFTWARE product which is based in.... wait for it.... the cloud. In other words, this vaunted integration you talk about has ZERO to do with physical devices and everything to do with software.

The lightbulb goes on in 3...2...1

yeah, you definitely sound like a software engineer... 18yo writing iphone apps

you basically dont know squat.

you need to put apple in context. who cares what you think? what apple does, and what they emphasize is integration, look it up, between devices. mac - iphone - ipad - iphone. better call it horizontal. i dont care if it goes through icloud or not, and frankly, nobody does. consumers are only interested if it works, and it works, every year better and better. and marketing? yeah, it definitely works. again, youre the least important figure here, nobody cares what you think. you need to put yourself in average consumer shoes if you wanna have a sane discussion, first, please dont spread your opinion around - it aint different - its stupid, second when you talk about companies, you dont talk about what they mean to you, or do their marketing gets to you, or how do you feel about them, or what you think, you talk about their impact on the world and where are they positioned and where are they heading. basically, you need to be objective.
whats the most popular (not the best selling, best selling means cheapest) pc brand in the world? whose pc department saw 20-30% rise in 2011 (everyone else fell)?

and yeah, just a phone. imagine if iphone 4s run android, where would it be stacked? the best?

what happened 5 years ago doesnt matter any more. its over, time to move on. and apple moves on - integration
the problem with you is you dont even try to understand the future. someday youll understand thats more important where youre heading than where you've been. i wont even bother asking what you think about the future of the iphone and its position, im afraid of the answer, i could get infected and my head could fall off. i dont want that.

i understand that you dont get it, its not easy for everybody. apples goal is to completely integrate all of your devices. you just change the screen size throughout the day. tv-mac-ipad-iphone-ipod. integrated. lion was first. you probably know how mountain lion is developing, every year more and more integrated.

you are better off not thinking. who else integrates pc-phone-tablet as easy and as intuitive as apple (for average costumer)? nobody? why? because they dont build their own os. integration comes built in, just enter your apple id when you turn it on for the first time. how many things i would need to install and how many settings i would need to change if i bought a dell laptop, motorola tablet and a samsung phone?

apple is software+hardware. if it werent for software, how many people would be buying macs or iphones? pc are 50% faster at half the price. integration between hardware and software (in-house), and now icloud and devices is what makes apple unique.

i feel like im talking to a little kid, those things are well know for ages.

but i really dont care. the only reason i even posted here is because i read your statement here that apple should dump pc because they relatively make less and less money as opposed to ios devices, while making absolutely more and more money.
that claim is stupid as it gets. you even bothered to put on graphs. why would anyone sane cut off the department that makes 8 billion a year (50% profit margins)? even if its 1% of their business.

but its not about that. its about a whole user experience. you cant have complete integration without a mac. even if it made 1 billion a year, apple would keep it.

but no matter what i say, you wont understand, because if you could, you already would.

you say you need a reason? i've given 8 billion of them. + the most important one - integration, as easy as it gets

and yeah, halo effect is real. because of the apple ecosystem and integration.

and little something about cannibalism. so it definitely aint good for apple if, god forbid, a person who wanted to buy an ipad (499usd) buys an macbook air (999usd) instead. the cannibalism is happening the other way, ipads eating into macbook sales, get it? or do i need to put some graphs?

if i called you a troll, it would be a compliment.

btw, youre from the states?

and by all means, keep going, this is very entertaining :rolleyes:

cheers, ...wait for it... barney :rolleyes: changed my mind, ...wait for it... 16yo making memes

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
After OS X will be OS Y... I don't know why I is added to X when Y is a character after X in terms of alphabets. The problem is after OS Z, where do you go? Then you could think of OS ZI, OS ZII, OS ZVII, whatever. But we still haven't used Y and Z yet. ;)

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
After OS X will be OS Y... I don't know why I is added to X when Y is a character after X in terms of alphabets. The problem is after OS Z, where do you go? Then you could think of OS ZI, OS ZII, OS ZVII, whatever. But we still haven't used Y and Z yet. ;)

x is ten in roman numbers, xi is eleven, which comes after ten

TheDutchGuy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Europe
Interesting thread! Maybe I can share my personal and humble opinion on why I'm about to move from a bunch of different computers and gadgets to all Apple?

My first Apple product was an iPod Touch and I fell in love with the simplicity of the product! Soon after that, the iPhone 3GS came and I just renewed to the 4S.

Apple always had my interest, but I didn't went for it, because of the high(er) pricing. What has changed my opinion and why am I about to get a Macbook Pro, iPad and Airport and getting rid of all the other gadgets/PCs? Two things!

1: The simplicity of products
2: Integration

In my eyes it is worth to pay (a little) extra to get a product that doesn't need hours of setting up and praying it will still works in 6 months. It's simple, everybody can do it. I've got years and years of Win(DOS) experience, but I'm done with spending hours of setting up, (re)installing, etc.

And the fact all Apple products work together without any problems, enhances the user (MY) experience! Integration is something that won't go away, but will get bigger and better in the years to come and Apple knew it!

True, there are other companies who offers the same. True, cloud based is software. BUT, I haven't found a company who've made it as simple as Apple. So you can be a developer, a fan-boy, have your own business, but it all comes down to the regular user, the average Joe, ME. And I just want an overall system that's simple to use, without worrying if software/hardware will work together and do the things I wanna do, whether I'm at my home studio or on the road.

So I don't see Apple getting rid of a certain product line, simply because they know the average Joe (me) wants the whole package, the whole simplistic integrated user experience.

Again, this is my personal and humble opinion. You don't have to agree with me. But I think I did give you an example WHY the average Joe can/will make the transformation to Apple, like I'm about to do. And that's what some people has to keep in mind, first and foremost it's about the average Joe...

Ps: Before I get comments on how would I know, because I don't have my own setup yet. I did do my research and I did test all Apple products I want to get myself. And I'm not talking about playing around for 15 minutes at an Apple Store...

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
x is ten in roman numbers, xi is eleven, which comes after ten

You think I didn't know that? Why would I have said I, II and VII whatever in that post :p It was a hint to just joke about saying people should think outside box and say that after X isn't just XI, it can be Y or Z. ;)

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
OSX is a catchy name. OSXI is fairly crap. From a marketing standpoint, it will go to 10.11 before it goes to XI. Unless they further the OS in some way that sets it apart from OSX.

Since the current portables are becoming the computers of "tomorrow", I doubt OSX will ever slip into OSXI. Chances are great to see OSX go through the decade and then disappear with current computing formats at Apple. Based on the trends and speculation, "pro" macs and high-powered computers will become more of a sub-niche market, and now that the visionary of Apple is in the dirt, the bean-counters will shortly reign: everything will be a mere profit, no matter what the quality. So the cheaper/smaller versions will be king and OSX will die with the machines it used to work.

I trust Apple to come up with a good new name.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
You think I didn't know that? Why would I have said I, II and VII whatever in that post :p It was a hint to just joke about saying people should think outside box and say that after X isn't just XI, it can be Y or Z. ;)

my apologies :)

nsilva

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
RI
In my eyes it is worth to pay (a little) extra to get a product that doesn't need hours of setting up and praying it will still works in 6 months. It's simple, everybody can do it. I've got years and years of Win(DOS) experience, but I'm done with spending hours of setting up, (re)installing, etc.

And the fact all Apple products work together without any problems, enhances the user (MY) experience! Integration is something that won't go away, but will get bigger and better in the years to come and Apple knew it!

True, there are other companies who offers the same. True, cloud based is software. BUT, I haven't found a company who've made it as simple as Apple. So you can be a developer, a fan-boy, have your own business, but it all comes down to the regular user, the average Joe, ME. And I just want an overall system that's simple to use, without worrying if software/hardware will work together and do the things I wanna do, whether I'm at my home studio or on the road.

If I had some kind of award to give. It would go straight to Apple's marketing department. :rolleyes:

WalkingSnake

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
This is the most heated debate over something that nobody knows anything about that I have ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the viewpoints and the debate, but there are simply no rights or wrongs because none of know. Yet this is so heated... and I'm loving it. :)

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Sorry if this has been said before, but I think we could see something like OS Xi. Emphasis on the lower case i, as in iPad. It could potentially run iOS applications and have touch screen capabilities and whatnot. They could replace the Dock with the iOS double-home-button-tap multi-task menu (is there a better name for that?) And I think the Menu bar needs to vacate somehow. Maybe it should be option for apps, since I notice a lot don't do much at all as it is.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Basically my question still stands - why keep dumping money into product innovation on OSX? (Canibalization - not even gonna go there)

Your Chart Show that Mac is still growing.
The hardware is fairly mature and no big demand for investment. Especially top end of the Mac line there is nothing that springs to mind as as a big leap any of them could make to change the useability. Sure swap tech x for x+1 to improve value.
The software investment will flow to both platforms but some projects will need a brute force test bed like the Mac to ever be mature enough for iOS.

My question back to you is why forgo the Profit and the control Mac OS X gives them over their own development?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.