Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Does anyone know when the 8-core Mac Pro is coming out? I know this has been asked but i cannot find the thread and i dont feel like searching for it. Anyway if anyone has ideas or anything..please post here. :apple:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Who knows, we've been waiting since November. The latest the 8-cores will come is in April, when NAB comes around. My Prediction is some time in March.

Yes, I've been waiting since November as well. I would have expected Apple to keep-up with processor introductions (not fall behind them by 4 months).

The other part of your statement confuses me though. What latest 8-cores are you saying will be out in April. And, if they are to be introduced in April, then why do you think that they would update in March?

Or, are you saying that Apple's going to introduce the old in March, and let the new ones in April go without notice (like they did with the current setup)?

Retired
May 16, 2006
I know for a fact that it will be (no matter what the rumour sites say) after 23:29 Thursday 22 Feb GMT. This comes from super-duper-insider knowing people.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Yes, I've been waiting since November as well. I would have expected Apple to keep-up with processor introductions (not fall behind them by 4 months).
I'm curious (honestly ... I'm being a fan boy here) but what computer manufacturer is offering workstations with 8 cores (ie. 2x quad cores or 4x dual cores)? I'm not talking about servers here ...

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
The other part of your statement confuses me though. What latest 8-cores are you saying will be out in April. And, if they are to be introduced in April, then why do you think that they would update in March?

Or, are you saying that Apple's going to introduce the old in March, and let the new ones in April go without notice (like they did with the current setup)?

No I mean April is the latest Apple will go before releasing the 8 core Mac Pro. I only know of one kind of 8-core Mac Pro, sorry for confusing you.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I'm curious (honestly ... I'm being a fan boy here) but what computer manufacturer is offering workstations with 8 cores (ie. 2x quad cores or 4x dual cores)? I'm not talking about servers here ...

I'm not a PC lover by any means. But, for the sake of discussion, I went ahead and took a quick look.

Since you specify "Workstation" I will provide you with 3 (although I'm sure if I put some time in it, I'd come up with a lot more).

A 2 second search on Google revealed Dell, AlienWare, and even a company in Amsterdam called "Digital Vision". And, then there were tons of systems that popped-up using AMD processors in combination to provide a total of 8-cores. A company called HPC (and several other companies as well) were offering up to four dual-core AMD Opteron processors to provide up to 8-cores in machines classified as "Workstations".

So, that's a few.

But, the search brought-up Dell as being the first one that announced 8-core intel-based systems (all the way back in November of 2006). So, once again, Apple is behind Dell in their offerings. Dell did within the first few weeks they were available. Apple's still 4 months behind.

So, since Dell was first, I went ahead and looked at their website. I didn't spend much time going over all the different models. So, I'm sure that they likely have other base models and configurations to start with.

Instead, I just clicked on the Precision 690 (which is labeled as a "Workstation"), and looked to see what it offered. Well, guess what, it too offers an 8-core configuration (just like Alienware does).

So, I made a few clicks, and came-up with a package that mostly resembles Apple's offering (in other words, I bumped the hard drive and CD-ROM drive to be comparable to Apple instead of the smaller drive that is standard with Dell).

Here are the specs as listed. Not a bad configuration. It even includes a 3-year on-site warranty and a couple other small bonus items.

Components
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5345 2.33GHz, 2 X 4MB L2,1333
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285,
Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable
1GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 533MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS)
16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™ Dell Ed
C1 All SATA drives, Non-RAID, 1 or 2 drive total configuration
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™
SATA/SAS Integrated Card - For Connecting Internal Hard Drives
No Monitor
Accessories
USB Entry Quietkey, No Hot Keys
Dell USB 2-Button Mechanical Mouse with Scroll
No Floppy Drive
No Speaker option
750 Watt Power Supply

Software
Windows XP and Restore CD
McAfee SecurityCenter 30 Day Trial

Service
3 Year On-site Economy Plan
No Onsite System Setup

Purchase is not intended for resale.

Also Includes
None
Precision 690N 750w 32Bit
Genuine Windows® XP Sticker

Total Price: $4167

Now, they did offer several different 8-core configurations. So, I picked one in the middle.

To step down to an 8-core system running at 1.86 GHz, it would have reduced the price by $820

To go up to having an 8-core system running at 2.66 GHz, it would have added $520

For a picture of the printed-out order confirmation page, consult the included JPG images

Attachments

• dell1.jpg
    dell1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 100
  • dell2.jpg
    dell2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 72

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
No I mean April is the latest Apple will go before releasing the 8 core Mac Pro. I only know of one kind of 8-core Mac Pro, sorry for confusing you.

OK, thanks for the clarification. That's a little clearer. I just couldn't see the logic in the first post. I probably just read it wrong :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Great work there flyinmac. I still believe that the Precision 490 is a bit more comparable to the Mac Pro. Try configuring one of those to spec up to the current Mac Pro. :p

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Great work there flyinmac. I still believe that the Precision 490 is a bit more comparable to the Mac Pro. Try configuring one of those to spec up to the current Mac Pro. :p

The 8-core configuration is available there as well. For the 8-core 2.33 GHz configuration (with same drives, etc.) it looks like the 490 comes out to be $330 more for basically the same configuration provided for the 690 previously.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the configurations include Windows XP Pro and not "Home".

Didn't bother with Vista. But, they are only charging $34 more to get "Vista Business" with the media as opposed to XP Pro.

So, it's a minor price difference.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Link To The Newest 8-Core Thread

Does anyone know when the 8-core Mac Pro is coming out? I know this has been asked but i cannot find the thread and i dont feel like searching for it. Anyway if anyone has ideas or anything..please post here. :apple:
Here's the 8-Core Mac Pro In January? Displays Too? thread. We're up to 15 pages and 361 posts. Won't change until the shipping post or next serious rumor on page one gets posted.

Best Guess is by NAB April 16 announcements. Drop dead date is probably 9AM WWDC June 11 SteveNote.
No one knows. It has not even been announced yet. All you will get is conjecture.
Exactly Cromulet - nobody knows - only guessing.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Here's the 8-Core Mac Pro In January? Displays Too? thread. We're up to 15 pages and 361 posts. Won't change until the shipping post or next serious rumor on page one gets posted.

Best Guess is by NAB April 16 announcements. Drop dead date is probably 9AM WWDC June 11 SteveNote. As is stated elsewhere here - nobody knows - only guessing.
I also think that NAB is the update day for the Mac Pro.

Increase your posts per page views. :p It's only ten pages for me.

The 8-core configuration is available there as well. For the 8-core 2.33 GHz configuration (with same drives, etc.) it looks like the 490 comes out to be $330 more for basically the same configuration provided for the 690 previously.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the configurations include Windows XP Pro and not "Home".

Didn't bother with Vista. But, they are only charging $34 more to get "Vista Business" with the media as opposed to XP Pro.

So, it's a minor price difference.
I was looking more into a form factor difference. The 690 is a monster compared even to the Mac Pro. 70-80 lbs. for the Precision 690 Vs. 45 lbs. for the Mac Pro.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I also think that NAB is the update day for the Mac Pro.

Increase your posts per page views. :p It's only ten pages for me.

I was looking more into a form factor difference. The 690 is a monster compared even to the Mac Pro. 70-80 lbs. for the Precision 690 Vs. 45 lbs. for the Mac Pro.

Yes, I see. The 490 is actually available in both a mini-tower and a desktop. Haven't seen a traditional desktop from Apple in a while. I miss my G3 266-DT.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
I'm not a PC lover by any means. But, for the sake of discussion, I went ahead and took a quick look.

Since you specify "Workstation" I will provide you with 3 (although I'm sure if I put some time in it, I'd come up with a lot more).

A 2 second search on Google revealed Dell, AlienWare, and even a company in Amsterdam called "Digital Vision". And, then there were tons of systems that popped-up using AMD processors in combination to provide a total of 8-cores. A company called HPC (and several other companies as well) were offering up to four dual-core AMD Opteron processors to provide up to 8-cores in machines classified as "Workstations".

So, that's a few.

But, the search brought-up Dell as being the first one that announced 8-core intel-based systems (all the way back in November of 2006). So, once again, Apple is behind Dell in their offerings. Dell did within the first few weeks they were available. Apple's still 4 months behind.

So, since Dell was first, I went ahead and looked at their website. I didn't spend much time going over all the different models. So, I'm sure that they likely have other base models and configurations to start with.

Instead, I just clicked on the Precision 690 (which is labeled as a "Workstation"), and looked to see what it offered. Well, guess what, it too offers an 8-core configuration (just like Alienware does).

So, I made a few clicks, and came-up with a package that mostly resembles Apple's offering (in other words, I bumped the hard drive and CD-ROM drive to be comparable to Apple instead of the smaller drive that is standard with Dell).

Here are the specs as listed. Not a bad configuration. It even includes a 3-year on-site warranty and a couple other small bonus items.

Components
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285,
Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable
1GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 533MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS)
16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™ Dell Ed
C1 All SATA drives, Non-RAID, 1 or 2 drive total configuration
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™
SATA/SAS Integrated Card - For Connecting Internal Hard Drives
No Monitor
Accessories
USB Entry Quietkey, No Hot Keys
Dell USB 2-Button Mechanical Mouse with Scroll
No Floppy Drive
No Speaker option
750 Watt Power Supply

Software
Windows XP and Restore CD
McAfee SecurityCenter 30 Day Trial

Service
3 Year On-site Economy Plan
No Onsite System Setup

Purchase is not intended for resale.

Also Includes
None
Precision 690N 750w 32Bit
Genuine Windows® XP Sticker

Total Price: $4167

Now, they did offer several different 8-core configurations. So, I picked one in the middle.

To step down to an 8-core system running at 1.86 GHz, it would have reduced the price by $820

To go up to having an 8-core system running at 2.66 GHz, it would have added $520

For a picture of the printed-out order confirmation page, consult the included JPG images
I bet Apple brings the 2.66GHz 8 Core Mac Pro in at less than $4k base. I think the 2.33GHz Dell 8 core is overpriced just like its 4 core is.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes, I see. The 490 is actually available in both a mini-tower and a desktop. Haven't seen a traditional desktop from Apple in a while. I miss my G3 266-DT.
Yeah, I have a sweet spot for the old desktop form factor too.

I bet Apple brings the 2.66GHz 8 Core Mac Pro in at less than $4k base. I think the Dell 8 core is overpriced just like its 4 core is.
Agreed

Apple having the both processor sockets filled already is a great value.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
is that video card really comparable to the one in the mac pro?

either way, that's a heck of lot of money! i'm glad i got my mac pro already for well under $3k.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

either way, that's a heck of lot of money! i'm glad i got my mac pro already for well under $3k.
The nVidia Quadro NVS 285 is actually much less powerful then the 7300GT. It's much more like a 6200 on PCIe.

The nVidia Quadro FX 550 would be a better comparison.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Dells Are Way Over Priced. I'm going with ATI Cards Only

We'll have new video card choices with the 8 core MP. I'm partial to ATI cards 'cause I like to rotate my monitors.
If it was about the money, none of us would be waiting. The refurb (like new) 2.66GHz Quad Mac Pro is little more than $2k. I think most of us who are waiting are willing to pay pretty much whatever Apple asks because we know we need more power than the 4 core models can deliver.

I finally figured out how to give MacRumors some money today. Now I'm a Demi-GOD! :p :eek: :D ;)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Well, they did have several video cards available. I didn't bother messing with every configuration. That's up to someone who really, really has time on their hands.

I just did a quick couple of clicks with the only purpose being to show that other companies are (and have been) offering 8-core systems while we have been waiting.

But, a quick copy and paste shows the video options they offer for that package. They are listed with the cheapest last and the most expensive first:

512MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 4500, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $1,440]

256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3500, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $815]

256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3450, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $490]
Dell Recommended for an enhanced Windows Vista experience

256MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V7200, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $540]

128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX550, Dual VGA or Dual DVI or DVI + VGA [add $61]

128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3400, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA [add $61]

128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285, Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable [Included in Price]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.