Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The nVidia Quadro NVS 285 is actually much less powerful then the 7300GT. It's much more like a 6200 on PCIe.

The nVidia Quadro FX 550 would be a better comparison.

Looks like that would only add about $60. So, that's not too bad. Naturally, in the 3 second quote I threw together, it only had the stock minimum video card.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Looks like that would only add about $60. So, that's not too bad. Naturally, in the 3 second quote I threw together, it only had the stock minimum video card.
It's an easy thing to overlook. I'm not well versed in how workstation cards translate to consumer ones.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
so basically that dell is looking closer to $5k!! :eek: with no monitor!

Hey, it's an 8-core machine. And, just because that one is higher, doesn't mean they all have to be.

The way it broke-down in the price structure at the time of release (back in November 2006), the new quad-core processors were actually priced to take the place of the dual-core processors that they replaced.

While not priced the same for the same speeds, they were priced very similar. Unfortunately, I cannot find the articles anymore (buried somewhere on the Internet).

But, as I recall, they worked-out about like this:

Quad-core 2.66 GHz Approximately the same price as the dual-core 3.0 GHz

Quad-core 2.33 GHz Approximately the same price as the dual-core 2.66 GHz

Quad-core 1.86 GHz Approximately the same price as the dual-core 2.33 GHz

So, if the reports of the pricing were true, then the bump to 8-core systems should not really represent a huge increase in price. Basically, the 8-core 2.66 GHz would just take the pricing of the current 4-core MacPro.

I wish I could find that article now. But, all I can recall is that it was on several of the rumor sites after the pricing was disclosed.

I just can't seem to find it now.

But, based on that early information, there's no reason to assume that the jump to 8-cores mandates a huge price increase.

Realistically, it should actually keep the prices about the same. Especially when you consider that at this point the dual-core processors pricing will have been reduced, and we're still paying their original release price with Apple's current pricing structure.

The new machines with an 8-core setup should likely keep pricing very similar to what it is now. And, potentially make room at the bottom-end for a cheaper system that has only 4-cores total.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
OK, so I still can't find the page I remember that gave the price for each individual processor and compared the quads to the duals.

But, I did find this one:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2176

Looks like I might have been just a bit off on the comparison.

It says the quad-core 2.33 GHz were coming out at the same price as the dual-core 3.0 GHz.

So, yes a bit of a bump. But, that was also at their introduction. We'd have to see how that compares to now.

It's quite likely that pricing has dropped since October of 2006.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Well, the dailytech article looks like there will be a couple of speeds that are pretty close to the same price between quads and duals.

Either way, I don't think we should see a huge bump in price for the move to 8-cores. At least not comparatively when you consider the specs.

Thank you for the links.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
We'll have new video card choices with the 8 core MP. I'm partial to ATI cards 'cause I like to rotate my monitors.If it was about the money, none of us would be waiting. The refurb (like new) 2.66GHz Quad Mac Pro is little more than $2k. I think most of us who are waiting are willing to pay pretty much whatever Apple asks because we know we need more power than the 4 core models can deliver.

Exactly :D

I finally figured out how to give MacRumors some money today. Now I'm a Demi-GOD! :p :eek: :D ;)

Congratulations :)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Start using the multiquote button instead of have a post for each response...

Hey, so that's what that does. :) I had looked at that thing a few days back, and the string it showed looked the same for both the quote and the + button. So, I didn't bother messing with it further.

Nice feature.

Thank you for pointing it out :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Hey, it's an 8-core machine. And, just because that one is higher, doesn't mean they all have to be.

The way it broke-down in the price structure at the time of release (back in November 2006), the new quad-core processors were actually priced to take the place of the dual-core processors that they replaced.

While not priced the same for the same speeds, they were priced very similar. Unfortunately, I cannot find the articles anymore (buried somewhere on the Internet).

Some of the pricing information posted on here and other sites was incorrect when the chips were still unreleased. A 2.66 Chip is around $1150 and a 2.33Ghz $850, 3Ghz Woodcrest is around $850 and 2.66Ghz $700. The difference in Dell's pricing is the best indication of how Quad Core options will fit in to the Mac Pro line. I'd expect no change to current processor options and a $1500 upgrade to quad 2.66Ghz. An $800-$1000 2.33 quad option is perhaps likely, but Apple can be weird about the power image of the pro line. Things like a 2.33Ghz downgrade rather than 2.0Ghz would be doable I think and not completly out of the question.

There has been nothing about Xeon chip prices comming down, that I've seen, and I wouldn't expect them to until an AMD launch puts on pressure or Intel move to the next Xeon chips.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I don't understand what the multi-quote button does. Is there a tutorial?

If you click on multiquote buttons next to replies and then click a quote button you will have every post you highlighted the multiquote button next to in the reply box.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Some of the pricing information posted on here and other sites was incorrect when the chips were still unreleased. A 2.66 Chip is around $1150 and a 2.33Ghz $850, 3Ghz Woodcrest is around $850 and 2.66Ghz $700. The difference in Dell's pricing is the best indication of how Quad Core options will fit in to the Mac Pro line. I'd expect no change to current processor options and a $1500 upgrade to quad 2.66Ghz. An $800-$1000 2.33 quad option is perhaps likely, but Apple can be weird about the power image of the pro line. Things like a 2.33Ghz downgrade rather than 2.0Ghz would be doable I think and not completly out of the question.

There has been nothing about Xeon chip prices comming down, that I've seen, and I wouldn't expect them to until an AMD launch puts on pressure or Intel move to the next Xeon chips.
I've found that once chips are in supply their prices come down even if there isn't an officially announced price drop. That's another reason why I posted the NewEgg link.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I've found that once chips are in supply their prices come down even if there isn't an officially announced price drop. That's another reason why I posted the NewEgg link.

Well right now Newegg are above supplier price, but obviously the demand for highend chips is lower than consumer chips which they can offer at close to supplier prices due to quantity and lossleader strategies. High end chips and server chips don't tend to fall because there isn't demand in consumer markets. Vendors like HP, Dell and Apple don't really follow such pricing and price closer to each other, I assume based of how much they know companies are willing to may for such machines. It comes down to the fact that Apple can charge $4,000 for an 8-core 2.66Ghz machine and it will sell.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well right now Newegg are above supplier price, but obviously the demand for highend chips is lower than consumer chips which they can offer at close to supplier prices due to quantity and lossleader strategies. High end chips and server chips don't tend to fall because there isn't demand in consumer markets. Vendors like HP, Dell and Apple don't really follow such pricing and price closer to each other, I assume based of how much they know companies are willing to may for such machines. It comes down to the fact that Apple can charge $4,000 for an 8-core 2.66Ghz machine and it will sell.
Correct, the price drops are much more often found on consumer components.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I hate it when people post threads about "When is (such and such) coming out?" because how the heck are we supposed to know? Whenever Apple releases it, that's when it's coming out.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I hate it when people post threads about "When is (such and such) coming out?" because how the heck are we supposed to know? Whenever Apple releases it, that's when it's coming out.

Well, if that's the case, then stay away from the rumor sites ;)

Everything said on a rumor site is speculation or informed guessing. And, none of it is true until the product actually ships. And, then (and only then) is the full truth revealed.

So, if you don't want read about anyone's guesswork, then go to Apple's Discussions where it is strictly prohibited to even discuss future unreleased products in any fashion.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop

-TheSpaz

Oooooohh. But it sooo much FUN!!

We gotta speculate 'cause we got this wad of future debt burning in our pockets that we're just dying to incurr, and so we're just whipping ourselves into a froth!

So the day that the Mac Pro 8 goes on sale, be verrry quiet, and if you listen carefully, you will be able to hear the bangs of the exploding credit cards all over the world.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
So the day that the Mac Pro 8 goes on sale, be verrry quiet, and if you listen carefully, you will be able to hear the bangs of the exploding credit cards all over the world.

Actually, you should watch the sky for an orange glow that spans the world.

I plan on paying cash (assuming I like their offering).

So, watch for the 30-mile flame leaping from the mountainous bonfire of piled cash.

(i.e. money to burn)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Actually, you should watch the sky for an orange glow that spans the world.

I plan on paying cash (assuming I like their offering).

So, watch for the 30-mile flame leaping from the mountainous bonfire of piled cash.

(i.e. money to burn)

-flyinmac

Hope it's not in your pocket at the time.

Huh. That'll be a colorful day. Bangs, gouts of flame, all followed by the dimming of every light connected to the electrical grid. And sudden skyrocketing of Folding performance. Then a dearth of posts by we chickens as we would have forgotten to eat, and sleep as we are constantly vacuuming the drool out of our collective keyboards.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
-flyinmac

Hope it's not in your pocket at the time.

Huh. That'll be a colorful day. Bangs, gouts of flame, all followed by the dimming of every light connected to the electrical grid. And sudden skyrocketing of Folding performance. Then a dearth of posts by we chickens as we would have forgotten to eat, and sleep as we are constantly vacuuming the drool out of our collective keyboards.

Well, if they get around to releasing a mid-range that is cheaper, then I may go that route. My needs don't really demand the highest, of highest-end machines. But, none of the other machines they offer will meet my needs.

So, I figure that if I'm going to pay top dollar, I'm going to wait until the machine is worth the money they are asking. Right now, a quad-core machine just isn't worth $3000+ to me. But, depending on the configuration, an 8-core machine may be.

If I'm going to spend that much on a machine, I'm going to get one with specs high enough that I won't need to replace it anytime soon.

I've looked at their other machines. But, realistically, I don't see an iMac keeping me happy beyond 6 months. And, a Mac Mini through MacBook Pro, might tide me over for a month or two.

If they had a nice mid-range tower, I'd really consider that. But, they don't. So, I am holding-off my purchase until the MacPro has been bumped-up enough to justify it's price to me.

So, if they release a decent mid-range, then it'll be a smaller bonfire of cash.

But, if they don't, and I get tired of waiting, it may be a huge bonfire.

Gentlemen, start your fires :D

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Gentlemen, start your fires :D

Alllllright.

I'm not hijacking, but clearly there are one or two of us that have our Mac Pro 8 picked out already, do you have a name for it yet?

You all know how important that is... :D

Mine is going to be named "Archimedes"

In fact, I've already got startup scripts written for it. I know, I'm hopeless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.