Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
What do you think about the upcoming iPhone SE4? I think it should have a single camera or I don't like those with three cameras.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I bought my SE 3 for touch ID, small size, and LCD. If they put face ID & OLED on the SE 4 and make it big, I'll have no reason to buy one.

That said, if they release what's basically an iPhone 14 it'll cut into their flagship profits so I sincerely doubt the rumors are true.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
That said, if they release what's basically an iPhone 14 it'll cut into their flagship profits so I sincerely doubt the rumors are true.

I could see Apple going with 12MP for the SE and 48MP for standard models going forward

So that might hurt the 14 initially, but should be fine once the 16 is released

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I think it might come as early as this March or April.

Obviously, now that all the higher model iPhones have gone to the Dynamic Island, the notch design is finally available for SE use (i.e. now being one full design generation behind the higher models).

And that being the case, I can't see why Apple would wait any longer than necessary to roll out that design as the iPhone SE 4:

• All the production tooling, supplier lines and assembly lines required for producing notch design phones became available to be re-used for SE production as soon as iPhone 14 production stopped, and they are surplus to any other requirement. [Edit - I should have said, 'now that iPhone 14 production has dropped significantly' - I know it's still being manufactured, but it's no longer the latest model, and production numbers will have doubtless fallen away.]
  • That means that if the production tooling and those supplier lines and assembly lines are not put back into use for a new SE fairly quickly then the whole notch-design production chain would have to be shut down, and then reconstituted some time down the track.
  • That means serious additional expense for no good purpose and would undermine the low production costs necessary to make the SE concept work.
  • The iPhone 14 design (the basic design most likely to be used) also has a huge existing third-party accessories market (cases, screen protectors, etc.), the ready availability of which are of great importance to customers - and which would also fade if the notch design SE was held off for a long period.
Long story short, the longer Apple waits, the more expensive it would be to do a new notch-design SE, and the less third party accessories would be available for it - both factors making it less of a viable sales proposition.

Add to that that the current SE design is now getting to be not just old but really really old, and that there have been reports of production cutbacks due to slowing sales going back 18 months now, I can't see them wanting to wait any longer than is necessary. They are losing both handset sales and subsequent services revenue with every person who choose Android over an aged SE 3.

My guess is that we will see it in March/April. That's as far away from both the prior and the next main iPhone releases as you can get - so it won't steal any thunder from either the the launch sales of the 15's last September or the pre-release hype for the launch of the 16's next September. (Note that the last two SE's launched in March or April as well).

Plus the five or six months since production of the 14 stopped back in about September allows time for the necessary minor changes to the 14 design to be incorporated - i.e. a lower cost camera module, logic board changes to a newer processor, moving from Lightning to USB3 - and production to be restarted to build up pre-launch stocks.

They might even use the time to move the final assembly lines to a lower cost country - India instead of China, for example. But that would depend on internal cost models we can never know, and also on geopolitical exposure concerns.

I'm hanging on to my SE 2 for a couple more months at least, to see what eventuates.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
They might reuse the iPhone 8 design as they have done with iPhone SE 2020 and iPhone SE 2022 but switch to USB Type C like what they did with AirPods Pro 2nd Generation switching from Lightning to USB Type C

They might reuse the iPhone 12/13 design and switch to USB Type C and only one camera like the iPhone XR and previous iPhone SE models...

They might release it this year 2024 just like the previous 3 models released in an even numbered year... And then they should release the next one in 2028 to go back to the 4 year gap...

Or they might not release an iPhone SE model anymore...

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think it might come as early as this March or April.

Obviously, now that all the higher model iPhones have gone to the Dynamic Island, the notch design is finally available for SE use (i.e. now being one full design generation behind the higher models).

And that being the case, I can't see why Apple would wait any longer than necessary to roll out that design as the iPhone SE 4:

• All the production tooling, supplier lines and assembly lines required for producing notch design phones became available to be re-used for SE production as soon as iPhone 14 production stopped, and they are surplus to any other requirement.
  • That means that if the production tooling and those supplier lines and assembly lines are not put back into use for a new SE fairly quickly then the whole notch-design production chain would have to be shut down, and then reconstituted some time down the track.
  • That means serious additional expense for no good purpose and would undermine the low production costs necessary to make the SE concept work.
  • The iPhone 14 design (the basic design most likely to be used) also has a huge existing third-party accessories market (cases, screen protectors, etc.), the ready availability of which are of great importance to customers - and which would also fade if the notch design SE was held off for a long period.
Long story short, the longer Apple waits, the more expensive it would be to do a new notch-design SE, and the less third party accessories would be available for it - both factors making it less of a viable sales proposition.

Add to that that the current SE design is now getting to be not just old but really really old, and that there have been reports of production cutbacks due to slowing sales going back 18 months now, I can't see them wanting to wait any longer than is necessary. They are losing both handset sales and subsequent services revenue with every person who choose Android over an aged SE 3.

My guess is that we will see it in March/April. That's as far away from both the prior and the next main iPhone releases as you can get - so it won't steal any thunder from either the the launch sales of the 15's last September or the pre-release hype for the launch of the 16's next September. (Note that the last two SE's launched in March or April as well).

Plus the five or six months since production of the 14 stopped back in about September allows time for the necessary minor changes to the 14 design to be incorporated - i.e. a lower cost camera module, logic board changes to a newer processor, moving from Lightning to USB3 - and production to be restarted to build up pre-launch stocks.

They might even use the time to move the final assembly lines to a lower cost country - India instead of China, for example. But that would depend on internal cost models we can never know, and also on geopolitical exposure concerns.

I'm hanging on to my SE 2 for a couple more months at least, to see what eventuates.

1) Launching a notch-based SE4 in 2024 would immediately cannibalize iPhone 13 and 14. Those two are currently sold in Apple Stores and keeping ASPs high.

2) Production has a very long tail end. Brand new iPhone 12 units are still being manufactured by Apple today. They are being sold at prepaid carriers such as Cricket Wireless and Boost Mobile. There are no tooling concerns.

3) Apple is selling a higher proportion of Pro Max devices each year. iPhone 14 Plus sold an order of magnitude better than iPhone 13 mini. Those two changes mean ASP is higher than ever before. Apple is in no hurry to launch SE4.

Finally, if an SE4 were launching this spring, we would have heard a lot of noise by now. Apple cannot snap their fingers and produce a million units without telling display, RF, chassis, and countless other suppliers 12-18 months beforehand.

Reactions: one more

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
They might reuse the iPhone 8 design as they have done with iPhone SE 2020 and iPhone SE 2022 but switch to USB Type C like what they did with AirPods Pro 2nd Generation switching from Lightning to USB Type C

It's such an old design now. Sales have been dropping for a while, plus I find a lot of apps are designing graphically with a 6" screen in mind rather than a 4.7", and that it's getting harder to use for that reason. Killing it would also be a big step towards deprecating TouchID in iPhones. I can't see Apple wanting to keep that design any longer.

They might reuse the iPhone 12/13 design and switch to USB Type C and only one camera like the iPhone XR and previous iPhone SE models...

Could be, but the base 14 design is well sorted and has plenty of recent production capacity. It also has the smaller notch - which means developers would only have to design for dynamic island and the final version of the notch going forward. I'd expect a new SE to end production of the 13 - it would effectively take its place.

They might release it this year 2024 just like the previous 3 models released in an even numbered year... And then they should release the next one in 2028 to go back to the 4 year gap...

I think major design changes in the SE aren't driven by a given number of years passing but by a combination of what the market demands in a cheaper phone and what suitable design Apple has available to it that is (a) cheap to produce, and (b) older and non-threatening to the current main models.

Or they might not release an iPhone SE model anymore...

Services revenue is too important now to do that.

Last edited:

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
1) Launching a notch-based SE4 in 2024 would immediately cannibalize iPhone 13 and 14. Those two are currently sold in Apple Stores and keeping ASPs high.

I agree it would cannibalise the 13 - I think it would quite possibly replace it. But a lower-spec single-lens camera and possibly a lower-spec processor than the 14 might keep it from eating up the 14 too much.

3) Apple is selling a higher proportion of Pro Max devices each year. iPhone 14 Plus sold an order of magnitude better than iPhone 13 mini. Those two changes mean ASP is higher than ever before. Apple is in no hurry to launch SE4.

I disagree - see services revenue. ASP remain important, of course, but it's not the whole game any more.

Finally, if an SE4 were launching this spring, we would have heard a lot of noise by now. Apple cannot snap their fingers and produce a million units without telling display, RF, chassis, and countless other suppliers 12-18 months beforehand.

All I can say is Apple have really tightened up on leaks the last 18 months - they've become a lot more of a black hole than they were two or three years ago. Plus, the parts for a new SE are going to be mostly continuations of existing production with a few selected parts downgrades - neither of which attract industry-watcher attention like major new innovations for future Pro models do. But I don't insist.

Edit - and it's not Spring, it's Autumn. ;-)

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I agree it would cannibalise the 13 - I think it would quite possibly replace it. But a lower-spec single-lens camera and possibly a lower-spec processor than the 14 might keep it from eating up the 14 too much.

Why would Apple want to replace $699 iPhone 14 with $429 iPhone SE4? Does Apple have too much money? Until the time comes, Apple wouldn't want to push out an SE4 and delete iPhone 14 until absolutely necessary.

I disagree - see services revenue. ASP remain important, of course, but it's not the whole game any more.

No offense to current SE owners, but the reality is most SE users are price sensitive users. They are likely Android switchers or living in countries with lower incomes. They are not going to spend money on Apple services.

All I can say is Apple have really tightened up on leaks the last 18 months - they've become a lot more of a black hole than they were two or three years ago. Plus, the parts for a new SE are going to be mostly continuations of existing production with a few selected parts downgrades - neither of which attract industry-watcher attention like major new innovations for future Pro models do. But I don't insist.

I'd have to ask for specific examples. We know the exact display sizes of iPhone 16 and 17 already, for example. Display suppliers need 18 months to ramp, order, and install equipment to meet Apple demand.

We knew Vision Pro exact specs, down the cameras, and external display. Quite frankly, nothing has been kept secret by Apple in the past many years. This is because Apple cannot ban suppliers even if they are confirmed leakers. Are they going to ghost Samsung or LGD for leaking info? Or never deal with Foxconn again?

Last edited:
Reactions: one more

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
No offense to current SE owners, but the reality is most SE users are price sensitive users. They are likely Android switchers or living in countries with lower incomes. They are not going to spend money on Apple services.
Not all the SE users are “living in countries with lower incomes”, many don't care about the latest cameras or Promotion and just want good iPhone with the latest CPU in a reasonable price. Also many users still prefer the SE because of it’s size/weight and TouchID…

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Not all the SE users are “living in countries with lower incomes”, many don't care about the latest cameras or Promotion and just want good iPhone with the latest CPU in a reasonable price. Also many users still prefer the SE because of it’s size/weight and TouchID…
Yes, I consider myself in this category. I don't need the features of the latest, expensive iPhones, but just want a basic phone with decent camera/video functions. For me, a phone isn't nearly as important, useful, or convenient as an iPad for daily access to information, personal finances, email/text, entertainment, etc.

So the SE series has always fit the bill for me.

Last edited:

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Not all the SE users are “living in countries with lower incomes”, many don't care about the latest cameras or Promotion and just want good iPhone with the latest CPU in a reasonable price.
That's me!

I'd happily buy the SE4 with the body, screen, speakers, mute switch etc etc of the 12/13, a single rear camera, USB C port, and the A16 chip (or ideally A17)...all for around $500-550USD. I personally think it'd be a great workhorse of a phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeyt1818 and geta

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I am PWM sensitive, not price sensitive. Never owned Android. I live in the USA. I subscribe to Music & iCloud. No offense taken.

I am very worried about the lack of an LCD phone in the line up based on current rumors for the SE 4. Unfortunately, even in the Android world it looks like there are very few options for LCD phones and they are all at the low end. :(

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I am PWM sensitive, not price sensitive. Never owned Android. I live in the USA. I subscribe to Music & iCloud. No offense taken.

I am very worried about the lack of an LCD phone in the line up based on current rumors for the SE 4. Unfortunately, even in the Android world it looks like there are very few options for LCD phones and they are all at the low end. :(

Have you tried using iPhones with ProMotion? I’ve heard it helps with PWM sensitivity.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Yes, I have tried them in store and it doesn't help at all. Same level of eye strain and headaches within minutes.

That’s very unfortunate really. You might have to go to the Android world and even so, like you said, the options are limited and it will get worst over time.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

I wrote above "most SE users are price sensitive users." Apple markets the iPhone SE as the "most affordable iPhone" at an "incredible price."

Are there some high income individuals that buy iPhone SE? Are there millionaires that drive a Toyota Corolla? Sure, but that obviously does not represent the bulk of the buyers.

Apple won't delete $699 iPhone 14 this year and replace it with $429 iPhone SE4. They won't pray that services revenue from SE4 buyers will make up for the lower ASP. That's just not realistic. Again, no offense to current SE owners.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12.17.49 AM.png

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
Are there some high income individuals that buy iPhone SE?

I bought an iPhone a couple of weeks ago. Glancing now at the prices I realise that I could have bought any that are currently available but chose the SE, despite its flaws, as it is the only one with Touch ID.

It's now possible to get away with the small screen due to a new car with CarPlay (and, for when Touch ID iPhones disappear, Android Auto ;-).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I prefer TouchID instead of all the inane gestures and FaceID.

I've got a fair amount of photographic equipment, so if there is something necessary to photograph, I'll do it properly.

If Apple can produce something like the OnePlus 8T that I've used, I'd be fairly happy. It has an under-display fingerprint reader. The display is a bit big and OLED, but overall, something like that, in an economical package would be better than what has been suggested.

I don't need the latest technology in a mobile phone. What I will buy should be light, small, fast, and usable. Something with less than a 6 inch display might be good. If they can switch to a standard resolution, that would be ideal.

Since Apple is probably trying to figure out what to do, I wouldn't expect the newer iPhone SE to be out until 2025. It's likely that they're going to have to create a new chassis and that's going to eat into the profits.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Almost upgraded from SE2 to SE3, but realized the SE3 has no significant changes except the somewhat faster chip (which with my basic usage would hardly be noticeable). Looking forward to the SE4 as the only smaller iPhone left.

Reactions: Mikeyt1818
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.