Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I would love the SE4 to have the body of the 8 plus with Touch ID but I am sure I am in a severe minority on this.
I don’t think we will ever see an updated 8 Plus for one reason: it might be the most popular iPhone released and would hurt sales figures of the rest of the phones.

What Apple needs to do is upgrade the 8 Plus and make it the same price as the Pro Max. People would gladly buy it at $1,200 USD.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
What accident, LOL? Mini were a niche product, not giving Apple enough profit, but were probably as expensive to manufacture as their larger counterparts, hence dropped off the lineup. Also, do we really need so many models in the lineup? Even the current one is quite confusing, as iPhone 13 and 14 are almost identical for an average customer, so for as long as Apple are selling iPhone 13 alongside 14, the former is probably cannibalising the sales of the latter. IMO, Apple could have dropped 13 out this autumn, keeping it to 15, 14 and SE.
They could make it more simple and only keep the SE and regular 14 with the latest 15 series (regular, plus, pro & max).

As for SE with Mini body, we can dream no? :)

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Unless by accident they’ll use the 12/13 Mini body… then they can keep the older models in the line-up without compromising their profit on these models.
Using the 12/13 mini body would make sense, smaller body but screen real estate would be larger due to the notch design. It would also differentiate the new SE from the rest of the lineup. I’m just hoping it won’t negatively impact battery life (driving more pixels) - this is where OLED would help.

Reactions: geta

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Using the 12/13 mini body would make sense, smaller body but screen real estate would be larger due to the notch design. It would also differentiate the new SE from the rest of the lineup. I’m just hoping it won’t negatively impact battery life (driving more pixels) - this is where OLED would help.
I agree, it would make sense but my guess is that we won't get that.
One big reason is that they don't produce the mini anymore and to start production for a "new" device rather than with the 1st and 2nd gen SE, where they basically just continued with the same formfactor prob costs a good bit.

But it would make sense from the perspective that it wouldn't cannibalize on the current line up. Take the iPhone 14 CPU and features and squeeze it into a 13 minicase, add a bit of USB-C and only one camera.
Sell it for the same price as the iPhone 13.

Another option is going for something in between mini and regular size, reuse the X or XS case and same size screen.
Guess the trick there is not to raise the cost of development adding a new screen with the smaller notch.

Reactions: Iwavvns

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
1710838836266.png

Apple knows why people like the SE, not just accept it because it's "affordable". If you want a FaceID phone that is less expensive, the older generation FaceID phones are still being manufactured, and still being sold.

Biometrics without needing a face scan is the market for this phone. Think immunosuppressed folks who have to wear masks, think cultures where face coverings are normalised, hazardous environments where breathing protection is required, medical staff, etc.

The SE is the TouchID phone, it doesn't need to be the cheap phone.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.