Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Early side of C. I probably won't be waiting in a line on day one, but I'm not going to wait too long, unless early reports are scary (not likely). I'm more excited about this release than any since 10.1.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
A if I feel like it, otherwise B. I want to buy Tiger as soon as it is available, but I haven't decided if I'd prefer ordering it online or at my local Apple Store.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Savage Henry said:
Probably J : when the top model iMac G5 is upgraded with juicy graphics and 512 ram.

You can currently upgrade the G5 iMac to 512 MB RAM though yourself. Why would you wait until Apple includes an extra 256 MB RAM in the machine for you? Apple's RAM is notoriously expensive, and you can easily buy 3rd party RAM for heaps less than buying it through Apple. Why would you want Apple to force you to buy extra RAM in your machine from them at a higher price when you could buy it yourself for less? :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
~Shard~ said:
You can currently upgrade the G5 iMac to 512 MB RAM though yourself. Why would you wait until Apple includes an extra 256 MB RAM in the machine for you? Apple's RAM is notoriously expensive, and you can easily buy 3rd party RAM for heaps less than buying it through Apple. Why would you want Apple to force you to buy extra RAM in your machine from them at a higher price when you could buy it yourself for less? :confused:
Maybe to ensure that the G5 iMac gets that so-called 128-bit memory bus that's so hard to enable and is supposed to give extra speed.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Given that I generally install updates 5 seconds after they have been released (no caution me) then put me down as an A. However now that Apple will have a UK store in the UK, it may just be worth a trip to London, so just could be B!

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
wrldwzrd89 said:
Maybe to ensure that the G5 iMac gets that so-called 128-bit memory bus that's so hard to enable and is supposed to give extra speed.

Yep, that's the reason.

I was playing about on one in a reseller today, and as much as I loved it and wanted it, I knew I would not get the most out of it off-the-shelf. So I'll wait for the magic combination of Tiger+iMac+RAM to make the whole thing justified.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Savage Henry said:
Yep, that's the reason.

No it isn't - you're just saying that because he actually came up with a viable reason. :p ;)

Savage Henry said:
I was playing about on one in a reseller today, and as much as I loved it and wanted it, I knew I would not get the most out of it off-the-shelf. So I'll wait for the magic combination of Tiger+iMac+RAM to make the whole thing justified.

To clarify then, you should say "Tiger+iMac+128-bit memory bus" then, not "RAM". :p

Just giving you a hard time, that's all... ;) :cool:

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
~Shard~ said:
No it isn't - you're just saying that because he actually came up with a viable reason. :p ;)

To clarify then, you should say "Tiger+iMac+128-bit memory bus" then, not "RAM". :p

Just giving you a hard time, that's all... ;) :cool:

Look .. I'm already having a hard enough time coming to terms with not having purchased the 20" G5 today :( In fact the more I think about it the more I'm just gonna get Tiger when it comes out at get the iMac at the same time, whether it comes with an additional 256 RAM, a jazzed up memory bus, or a voucher for money off the iGroomer USB driven desk top nasel hair trimmer. Anyway it's still too long a time away.

I can't remember which letter that now puts me in, but I don't think too many people are keeping count here ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Savage Henry said:
Look .. I'm already having a hard enough time coming to terms with not having purchased the 20" G5 today :( In fact the more I think about it the more I'm just gonna get Tiger when it comes out at get the iMac at the same time, whether it comes with an additional 256 RAM, a jazzed up memory bus, or a voucher for money off the iGroomer USB driven desk top nasel hair trimmer. Anyway it's still too long a time away.

I can't remember which letter that now puts me in, but I don't think too many people are keeping count here ;)

Heh heh - fair enough, I should lighten up on ya due to your current situation. ;)

Lastly, where can I order one of those iGroomers?

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
based on the Tiger info already out there, i don't plan on buying it. none of the features are compelling to me. plus, my TiBook is due to be upgraded by the end of next year, so i think i'll just wait and get it with my next mac, which will be a G5 of some sort (hopefully the laptop variety :D ). then some of those under-the-hood enhancements will really help.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
It depends on what hardware comes out, and when. Basically, if there's a laptop which completely eclipses the performance of my current PB, in a somewhat similair form factor (ie 12 or 13"), then I'll buy Tiger with that. Otherwise, B or C depending on how close I am to the nearest reseller store ;)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I'll buy it once I scrape together $129+tax, that could be weeks, probably months. :( :mad:

And my dad will probably steal the disks, and install them on his computer and his work computer like he did with 10.3. :mad:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
When Apple release the next G5's.

Not paying @£1500 on a current gen G5 only to have to fork out another £70 to make it run at the speed its meant to run at.

(On the plus side it does build the anticipation!!)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
musicpyrite said:
I'll buy it once I scrape together $129+tax, that could be weeks, probably months. :( :mad:

And my dad will probably steal the disks, and install them on his computer and his work computer like he did with 10.3. :mad:

let him pay this time :mad:
or get 50% from him ...

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
AmigoMac said:
let him pay this time :mad:
or get 50% from him ...

Technically, I should only have to pay 33.3%. But if you buy the family pack, it is only allowed to be installed on home computers; his computer at work is owned by a private organization. (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute)

Maybe I'll just buy the disks, install 10.4, then destroy them. :)

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
C but i'll wait til nearer the time before i decide whether or not to commit straight away. Also being a poor student (queue violin!) i don't know if i'll be able to afford it when it comes out. Although i will get a tasty discount it might mean no drinking for a week which is something that i am not prepared to do. :D

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
whenever a free copy is available?
seriously, whenever it ships to me from apple's web site...can't beat edu pricing on OS upgrades, nearly 50%!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.