Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Something just occurred to me. Two of the bigger players in the case biz, DLO and XtremeMac, have zero iPad cases so far. Not even a "coming soon" page on their sites.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I went to the website, but there are no pictures?

It's just some egomaniac "entrepreneur" who's trying to pre-sell a case he hasn't even produced, emblazoned with an ugly giant logo. He's sniffed around here trying to drum up interest for it, and gets shut down by the mods every time. Don't bother.

Run23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
There's already a thread for "what case are you using?". Agree with me, or disagree, and say why, but let's not waste more bandwidth with another list of case names that people have.

Wow-- kind of jerky comment dude.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wow-- kind of jerky comment dude.

Yeah it is. Oh well. Too bad. But like I said, there's already at least one thread to merely tell the world what case you have. This is not that thread, unless you're unveiling a previously unseen potential killer case. The Belkin Grip Vue has been discussed ad nauseum, and given the relatively short flash it generated in discussions, I think it's safe to say it doesn't qualify as a killer case, in the vein of the InCase Slider.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I feel the same way... I've been searching for the perfect case since a week before 3G launch! LOL

It's hard to beat the Apple case functionality... However, as we all know the thing attracts dust and scuffs like there is no tomorrow.

I tried the Yoobao. Problem with that one was the smell (ew), and it's just a bit too thick for my liking. I cant clip my pogo stylus to it. It doesn't stay as firmly in typing position as it should. It gets in the way around the edges of the iPad just enough to be annoying.

The Dodo was the one I was going to go for... However, I just don't think the typing position is elevated enough. I even wish the Apple case was elevated just a tad more. That was one thing I DID like about the Yoobao.

My husband has an Incase knockoff... He likes it but doesn't love it... And it doesn't really stay locked into any but the lowest tilt unless its on a table. It's just not great for laps.

If Apple would just make its case with a smoother exterior, one that is easier to clean and doesn't attract scuffs like a chalkboard, they'd have an even harder product to keep in stock - and the ultimate case!

ipadder

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Aren't these killer?
MxeeI.jpg

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Aren't these killer?
MxeeI.jpg

There, I fixed your image.

As far as "killer" goes...are they wildly popular, on par with the popularity of the Incase Slider for iPhone, or do they offer a totally unique fit/function that separates them from the pack? You tell me. To me they look like a run of the mill textured/patterned back shell, no different than any of the other 10,000 back shells available on ebay.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I found a link to a review of the piel frama vs the size of the a poke case. It looks like it is a bit heavy and thick for my use -- too bad as it looks beautiful!

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I have not seen Oberon mentioned here yet but they do beautiful work. I had one for my Kindle, they are a little on the heavy side for me. Still, really nice and very different from what else is out there. I am so sick of all the black!

5885.jpg

Ooooooo. Beautiful! I can't decide which one to get.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
i agree about the lack of cases out there. Usually i can find something that I like, but I find myself making concessions. That is too bad really. The problem with concessions is that I end up finding something else that is closer to the case I actually want - and thus...I spend more money. That is too bad really.

I am looking into the non traditional companies now since the main front runners aren't cutting it. Actually looking at ebay and etsy. Some nice offerings there.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Agreed, but I have come to believe there will be no perfect case. There are so many features to have or not have. Most cases either try to meet too few and are lackluster and many others promise so much but are bulky and obnoxious. I expect plenty of "killer cases" by the time 2G comes around.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I have very high expectations for iSkin's new iPad case that should be coming out any day now.. They took their time that's for sure.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
For me the ultimate case would mimic the Apple case, but in a leather similar in quality to this envelope style case on eBay...
iPad-Sleeve-01_11.jpg

SuX0rz

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah it is. Oh well. Too bad. But like I said, there's already at least one thread to merely tell the world what case you have. This is not that thread, unless you're unveiling a previously unseen potential killer case. The Belkin Grip Vue has been discussed ad nauseum, and given the relatively short flash it generated in discussions, I think it's safe to say it doesn't qualify as a killer case, in the vein of the InCase Slider.

I think he was referring to the dodo case, more than the Belkin. I would consider the dodo case a killer case.

And being nice to people is a good thing, think about it.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I found a link to a review of the piel frama vs the size of the a poke case. It looks like it is a bit heavy and thick for my use -- too bad as it looks beautiful!

To give you an idea, the case adds about the same thickness of the iPad itself. It weighs 300 grams (10.58 oz.) according to the PF website. Subjectively, it never seemed thick or heavy to me, but naturally it is going to be a matter of individual sensitivity. If you like its looks, their customer service is fantastic, and I bet if you emailed Angelina she'd agree that you could return it if you're unhappy. I think PF would be pretty confident that once you have it on your iPad you'll never let it go.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
The Dodo case is nice, but it is lacking features, and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, the $50 price tag is a red herring. It costs $65 with shipping and tax, then you have to wait a month and a half to get one. I love moleskins, dodos, and everything, but I don't think I can stomach it.

I ordered a marware eco-vue, but it is backordered so I have time to cancel and go with something else. I think for $40 the price is OK, but I really think I can do better, with all the people complaining about the thing falling apart after two weeks.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have an eco vue I am about to return/sell. PM if you want it.

Anyways the dodo case - its just a book cover isn't it? Recovered and fitted with a bamboo holder? I don't see why it costs so much.

Oh yeah, it is handmade and coming out of SF. I personally like mine for the rugged intellectual look. It's made of buffalo leather.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 7.21.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 7.21.46 PM.png
    190.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 7.21.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 7.21.53 PM.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 80

Tom.Colly

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Louisville
modulR case, stand, mount, carrying case, ect...

modulR
Awesome, not the prettiest thing in the world to you "bound in leather and smelling of mahogany" types, but I love it.:apple:

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My perfect case would be a combo of a tpu case and a folio that was capable of multiple viewing angles including ones for typing and ones for video viewing with some in between.

Or something like the apple/chinao cases but with more viewing angles. Mostly I just want something that covers all of the corners and sides very well and also offers multiple viewing angles...preferably without being insanely bulky and without covering too much bezel.

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I know the prices are obscene but I don't think you can beat the Vaja cases.

The ivolution case is the best "Back cover" style case and they do versions with a snap on front cover for screen protection. The Agenda 2 appears to be the perfect folio style case with a typing position out there (Some prefer the Agenda 1 though).

Both have fantastic quality leather, look great and, crucially, do not cover the front edges of the iPad like many cases do.

I personally have the Special Edition Mamut Suela Ivolution Top style case. I went through 5 cases prior to getting it and I just wish I hadnt wasted my time on cheaper but lesser quality cases. It looks great, feels awesome to hold and after using it for a month shows no signs of wear or tear.

The cheaper cases all have some killer flaw - whether it being dust magnet materials (Like the Apple case, the Chinao interior and the Cyber Acoustics folio), lame typing angles for the folio style cases (Hello Piel Frama), cheap plastic grips to hold in the iPad (Like the Yoobau slim). Some of these may seem relatively minor but the point is that the Vaja's seem to be the only cases that I have seen where I can't see a bad thing about them.

Yes the waiting time for them to be made is an issue however even the Agenda 2's now have certain colours in stock.

I know this sounds like a Vaja love fest but seriously I have tried loads of cases and nothing tops Vaja.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.