Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I know the prices are obscene but I don't think you can beat the Vaja cases.

The ivolution case is the best "Back cover" style case and they do versions with a snap on front cover for screen protection. The Agenda 2 appears to be the perfect folio style case with a typing position out there (Some prefer the Agenda 1 though).

Both have fantastic quality leather, look great and, crucially, do not cover the front edges of the iPad like many cases do.

I personally have the Special Edition Mamut Suela Ivolution Top style case. I went through 5 cases prior to getting it and I just wish I hadnt wasted my time on cheaper but lesser quality cases. It looks great, feels awesome to hold and after using it for a month shows no signs of wear or tear.

The cheaper cases all have some killer flaw - whether it being dust magnet materials (Like the Apple case, the Chinao interior and the Cyber Acoustics folio), lame typing angles for the folio style cases (Hello Piel Frama), cheap plastic grips to hold in the iPad (Like the Yoobau slim). Some of these may seem relatively minor but the point is that the Vaja's seem to be the only cases that I have seen where I can't see a bad thing about them.

Yes the waiting time for them to be made is an issue however even the Agenda 2's now have certain colours in stock.

I know this sounds like a Vaja love fest but seriously I have tried loads of cases and nothing tops Vaja.

Have you handled a Yoobao slim? They actually use a fairly high quality soft touch plastic for the clips.

I was considering the Agenda 2 but the reports that the front cover was a bit floppy (esp what i saw in Macgirls youtube review) coupled with a lack of a way to secure it just had me look the other way, not to mention the price. I consider that way more of a killer flaw than some exposed plastic. But to each his own.

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Have you handled a Yoobao slim? They actually use a fairly high quality soft touch plastic for the clips.

I was considering the Agenda 2 but the reports that the front cover was a bit floppy (esp what i saw in Macgirls youtube review) coupled with a lack of a way to secure it just had me look the other way, not to mention the price. I consider that way more of a killer flaw than some exposed plastic. But to each his own.

I should have clarified - Im sure its high quality in terms of safe to secure the iPad but I dont see why a leather effect case should have black lumps of plastic on the corners when previous Yoobao's had leather corner grips. Admittedly a small point but it put me off lol.

I see your point on the Agenda 2 I suppose - for me its not an issue as I store mine in a bag sleeve that would keep the cover closed. But I went for the Ivolution top and that one seems perfect for protection - the front cover clips nicely in place and when you remove it, attaches nicely to the back (Some people dont realise that and assume you have nowhere to keep the front when its removed). For me the Ivolution cases are the killer cases if you can live without a typing stand built in (If I want to type I use my Griffin Loop stand).

niter

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2003
Belkin Grip Vue + PS Anti-Glare.

Awesome combo.

As of last night, I am finding this to be true.

I started using the iPad naked carried in the stm bag until my Dodocase arrived. I love the Doocase look wise but I have found that in order to use it upright, I need to remove the iPad from the case. Also, it can fall out making the case just a pretty cover. In retrospect, I wonder if I would have been better off going with my first pick--the convertible incase jacket.

I am surprised how much more I enjoy using the Vue + PS combo. I am carrying around the iPad in my stm bag again as it goes into my briefcase. Eventually, I am going to purchase the Incase Travel Kit as it fits the Apple BT keyboard, power supply, etc. The only draw back is that that case does not have D rings for a removable strap. The STM does making it quite attractive, but the space is limited. Again, like the cases both travel bag is almost to perfection, each having what the other needs!

In the end, I am really not sure there will be a perfect case. The original poster brings up a very valid question. It seems, to me, that every case is *almost* there and it is a matter of picking the best option. I am starting to think the reason the iPad is so difficult to cover or put in a case is because it is made so perfect as is.

jennyap

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
I think part of the reason there isn't a "killer case" is that unlike the iPhone, people use the iPad in different ways. By which I mean, if you have an iPhone you are inevitably going to be carrying it with you pretty much all the time, you need quick access to be able to take calls, etc. The iPad isn't like that.

Personally, I'm not interested in a folio case at all. I use my iPad almost exclusively at home, and I do minimal typing, so the perfect case for me is something that gives a little extra grip and protection, but otherwise keeps out of my way. I don't want anything that extends too far onto the bevel, I like the grip of silicon, and I don't want anything that adds a lot of bulk. But I do take it away with me occasionally, and then I want the option of some extra protection. I went for an Incipio Silicrylic skin. The silicon part gives the grip I want, and the acrylic hard shell gives a little extra protection on the corners in case I set it down a bit hard. For travelling, the whole thing fits into my Belkin Pleated Sleeve with skin still on, and I switch the hard shell from the back to the front to protect the screen. So far I'm really happy with this combo.

However, if I started carrying it with me every day, it wouldn't work for me at all. In that case I'd be taking a much closer look at folio cases.

Others have a different experience again, and need a different type of case to suit, and I think that is much more varied than with the iPhone. JMO.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
I've tried Vaja Agenda, Vaja iVolution Top SP, Orbino Padova and DODOcase. They are all beautiful cases. One thing in common; they are all BULKY, HEAVY and defeats the purpose of having iPad. DODOcase was the worst; iPad simply falls off the case.

People are so hyped up by iPad and such enthusiasm extends to squandering on unnecessary accessories that are bloated and complex. iPad is meant to be bare. Not even between plastic wrap like invisiShield or the like. Glass and aluminum unibody of iPad simply feels great between fingers. Feel the precise edge of iPad.

Join the nudist movement. Don't fall for the killer cases.

Rmv221

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Franklin Covey case for iPod

Recently I was looking for a case for my new iPod. I was looking for a case that would hold more than my iPad. I went into a Franklin Covey store and came across a leather binder with binder rings in it. It was the exact size for it!! In the leather folio that the binder rings came out! It holds a lot more. It has a mobile phone holder in it, a expandable GPS hold on one side, the other side has room for business/credit cards and a pen holder. I have all those items in it and my iPod with the Apple case. It's a little snug at first but having it a while now, no problem zipping it. I only paid $60.00 and it's leather. It's those cases that are not made for the item are the ones you want!

Attachments

• IMG00852-20101025-2203.jpg
    IMG00852-20101025-2203.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG00853-20101025-2203.jpg
    IMG00853-20101025-2203.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG00854-20101025-2204.jpg
    IMG00854-20101025-2204.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 84

seymourphilips

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Dude i agree apple's oem bags suck i had one for less than a week and it was crap, but i found a sweet hard body case from slappa.com great material, great build, and not a bad price they also had soft body cases but i like hardbodys they always seem to work better for me. this is the one i bought.
http://www.slappa.com/HardBody-PRO-Carbon ,hope it helps you some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.