Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Just picked up my iPad pro today and I am loving it...however it seems that no one around me is carrying the Apple Pencil? I went to order it on Apple.com but it's estimating 4 to 5 weeks until it ships?! It seems the same is true for the smart keyboard: no one seems to have it in stock.

Anyone know where I can get the Apple Pencil in a reasonable amount of time? Seems very stupid that the iPads are available but the accessories that set them apart from the other iPads are nowhere to be found. All this is to me right now is a big iPad, no different from my other iPad. Was really hoping I could use the pencil to take notes in class on Monday.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Daily visits to the apple store are probably your best bet.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If it was me, I'd just order it and wait. That why you can get proficient with it over Christmas break, OP.;)

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Were they available at any retail locations at all? Or just Apple Stores?

ara-mia

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2015
Were they available at any retail locations at all? Or just Apple Stores?
I haven't heard of anyone getting one from anywhere other than Apple yet. It's been suggested that other retail locations will be getting their first batches of Pencil stock around the 18th, which is also an approximate date that some Apple employees have offered up. I'd advise to take anything an Apple employee tells you with a grain of salt, though--it doesn't seem like the vast majority of them are any more informed about the situation than any one of us.

Reactions: npolly0212

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I haven't heard of anyone getting one from anywhere other than Apple yet. It's been suggested that other retail locations will be getting their first batches of Pencil stock around the 18th, which is also an approximate date that some Apple employees have offered up. I'd advise to take anything an Apple employee tells you with a grain of salt, though--it doesn't seem like the vast majority of them are any more informed about the situation than any one of us.
I think morning would have been a great time to get it. I wonder who runs apple operation...ex: COO?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Staples is accepting pre-orders for what it claims is delivery starting November 19th.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Local stores here in NZ seem to have been dumped with whatever wasn't ordered in the first few hours. Everyone's got plenty of silver and gold ipad pros, but no space grey, no pencils, no keyboards. Someone miscalculated the ordering quantities badly. I wouldn't have minded the silver but for the awful white bezel, so I'll wait for mine to arrive (local public holiday here the day they were supposed to be delivered, so having to wait until after the weekend)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'd get gold with a black border if it were an option. My current iPad has a white border and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I have noticed that best buy has not gotten their accessories shipment yet but they do have the ipad pros and smart covers available. This kinda tells me that they should be expecting a shipment in the next week. and I think ill also start going to best buy and asking every day since I work across the street from one.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have noticed that best buy has not gotten their accessories shipment yet but they do have the ipad pros and smart covers available. This kinda tells me that they should be expecting a shipment in the next week. and I think ill also start going to best buy and asking every day since I work across the street from one.
Keyboard available? Online doesn't confirm this.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
They should have just included it with the iPad pro and upcharged $150 and I still would have purchased it. That way at least they would have more units in consumer hands and people would use it and marvel at it.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Right now I have 3 pre-orders for the Apple pencil.... Apple Store, BH Photo Video and Staples.... The Pencil shortage is just craziness.
If you get 2 notifications for shipping at the same time I'll buy one off of you if I don't have one by than! Lol

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
The iPad Pro has been a strange product launch all around. You'd think that they would have a good idea about how many Apple Pencils they could sell given that it only works on the iPad Pro. I'm patient though -- maybe I'll wait for the Apple Pen.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Keyboard available? Online doesn't confirm this.

The keyboard was not available. Only the smart cover. They blocked the shelf for where they will be but for now everything is empty. Looks like they are in the same boat as everone else. I wonder if this November 18th date has some relevance

Reactions: npolly0212

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
The keyboard was not available. Only the smart cover. They blocked the shelf for where they will be but for now everything is empty. Looks like they are in the same boat as everone else. I wonder if this November 18th date has some relevance
What do you mean November 18th date?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
What do you mean November 18th date?
Staples is quoting they will ship Apple Pencils on November 18th - you could of pre-ordered one now (it's sold out). I wonder if Novermber 18th is when other distributors get these Pencils...

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Staples is quoting they will ship Apple Pencils on November 18th - you could of pre-ordered one now (it's sold out). I wonder if Novermber 18th is when other distributors get these Pencils...
I've checked staples morning afternoon and night since Tuesday and have never see preorder opportunity...what the heck
But alright guess I'll be checking Best Buy than

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.