Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a Crucial MX 100 firmware .ISO I need to burn. Before, Disk Utility could burn such without any problem. However, I am not seeing any "burn" option in Disk Utility.

Can someone point me to where it is?

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Apple said that not all features in Disk Utility are ready yet. Use a 10.10 Disk Utility if you need to use the functions that aren't included. You shouldn't be using a beta as your main OS anyway.

Reactions: Cisco_Kid

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Apple said that not all features in Disk Utility are ready yet. Use a 10.10 Disk Utility if you need to use the functions that aren't included. You shouldn't be using a beta as your main OS anyway.
I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something with the new Disk Utility layout.

Thank you for the reply on topic. However, I didn't ask for, nor did I appreciate your snide comment on what I should or shouldn't be doing. If I felt I needed to ask the forum's opinion on whether I should be using a beta, I would have done so.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Looks like what you'll have to do is mount the image under OS X, right click on the disk and use "Burn 'XYZ' to Disc...". I have not tried it but I am about to for an SSD upgrade as well ironically.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Looks like what you'll have to do is mount the image under OS X, right click on the disk and use "Burn 'XYZ' to Disc...". I have not tried it but I am about to for an SSD upgrade as well ironically.
I tried that and it didn't burn correctly. Luckily, my copy of Toast 12 works in El Capitan, and I was able to burn the iSO. Unfortunately, the burn to CD-R or DVD did not work, as it stops during the process of updating with a Command 13 error. I noticed another Mac user posted on the Crucial site as having the same problem. I tried using the USB Universal installer that Crucial suggested, selected "Try unlisted Linux IOS, and during the process, it said it would not be a bootable USB. I don't know what else to try.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I tried that and it didn't burn correctly. Luckily, my copy of Toast 12 works in El Capitan, and I was able to burn the iOS. Unfortunately, the burn to CD-R or DVD did not work, as it stops during the process of updating with a Command 13 error. I noticed another Mac user posted on the Crucial site as having the same problem. I tried using the USB Universal installer that Crucial suggested, selected "Try unlisted Linux IOS, and during the process, it said it would not be a bootable USB. I don't know what else to try.

Yup just tried it and wasted a blank. At least they're a dime a dozen now lol.

Hmm, maybe I'll try using restore in Disk Utility for a thumb drive installer? Idk if it would work. Otherwise, it'll wait until tomorrow when I have access to a Yosemite computer.

EDIT: DU fails to copy. I'm gonna give Terminal a go on my thumb drive before I call it quits.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Im not sure if your firmware update can be applied in a DOS environment, but I had to make a bootable DOS CD for my Sansung SSD.
The Crucial site was no help. It seems Windows and Mac people have been having trouble getting the firmware to load properly and work. Thanks to posts by Alex on this forum, I was able to properly update the firmware on my SSD. :)

Thank God for the people of Macrumors.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah I was complaining about the same thing, missing the option to burn with Disk Utility's GUI in El Cap. This function is now accessible with a GUI exclusively in Finder (maybe it's back there since DP7 / PB5, idk), or in Terminal via command line.

With a disk image (.dmg, .iso) selected in Finder, you just have to know where to look for it
  • via Finder Menu > File > Burn Image "xxx" to disc, or
  • via control-click > Burn Image "xxx" to disc, or
  • via right-click, depending on mouse > Burn Image "xxx" to disc.
The Terminal variant "hdiutil burn /Users/...xxx.iso" is now also working flawlessly here. I've just burned an .iso with a Samsung firmware update and FreeDOS on a CD and was able to boot from it. Tried the same with a SnowLeo Install DVD image, and successfully booted from that one as well.

Last edited:

bryanb74

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Still a problem in the GM.

And I say problem, because the help menu in Disk Utility still tells you to burn an image the same old way, that is missing: Select image form the side bar, and then click the burn button in the tool bar.

Yeah I was complaining about the same thing, missing the option to burn with Disk Utility's GUI in El Cap. This function is now accessible with a GUI exclusively in Finder (maybe it's back there since DP7 / PB5, idk), or in Terminal via command line.

With a disk image (.dmg, .iso) selected in Finder, you just have to know where to look for it
  • via Finder Menu > File > Burn Image "xxx" to disc, or
  • via control-click > Burn Image "xxx" to disc, or
  • via right-click, depending on mouse > Burn Image "xxx" to disc.
The Terminal variant "hdiutil burn /Users/...xxx.iso" is now also working flawlessly here. I've just burned an .iso with a Samsung firmware update and FreeDOS on a CD and was able to boot from it. Tried the same with a SnowLeo Install DVD image, and successfully booted from that one as well.

Nair

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
I have a Crucial MX 100 firmware .ISO I need to burn. Before, Disk Utility could burn such without any problem. However, I am not seeing any "burn" option in Disk Utility.

Can someone point me to where it is?

Burn is moved to Finder.
Select the file you want to burn, insert disk, from finder choose burn using the file menu or right click the source file/folder.
See this link for more:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22122?locale=en_US

revenire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I wonder why Apple did this.

I used to make a movie in iDVD and then save it as a disk image, open Disk Utility and burn the image. Worked wonderful. Now? Not a chance.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I wonder why Apple did this.

I used to make a move in iDVD and then save it as a disk image, open Disk Utility and burn the image. Worked wonderful. Now? Not a chance.

Finder > right-click on disk image > Burn Disk Image [name] to Disc. There was never a need for Disk Utility to burn your disk images, because Finder does exactly the same.

revenire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Will that play in a DVD player? You know - as a movie (like it used to)? Thanks.

PS - What I was doing is taking video - .mp4s - and using iDVD making them into a disc image / converting them. I would make a disk image and then burn that image. Using Disk Image it worked. I am not so sure the same would work just burning as you say. Hope so.

PPS - Can't see how burning the .iso image to a DVD the way you say will give me a playable DVD for a DVD player. Will it? Thx.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Will that play in a DVD player? You know - as a movie (like it used to)? Thanks.

PS - What I was doing is taking video - .mp4s - and using iDVD making them into a disc image / converting them. I would make a disk image and then burn that image. Using Disk Image it worked. I am not so sure the same would work just burning as you say. Hope so.

PPS - Can't see how burning the .iso image to a DVD the way you say will give me a playable DVD for a DVD player. Will it? Thx.

As long as iDVD creates a disk image file (*.cdr, *.dmg, *.iso, etc.) then it will work. You can tell when you right-click on a file: a compatible disk image will be burned as “Burn Disk Image [name] to Disc”, whereas incompatible files will simply be burned as wholes: “Burn [file name] to Disc”.

Disk Utility and Finder use the same underlying application to burn disk images, which is hdiutil. You can do this in Terminal directly: hdiutil burn /Path/To/DiskImage.iso

I think the reason why people preferred Disk Utility is because it wasn’t possible to confuse file burning with disk image burning like Finder does. Disk Utility could only burn disk images, not files. You can already see this in this thread: iamMacPerson suggested mounting the disk image in Finder first then selecting the “Burn [file name] to Disc” option within it. But that is not the right way to do it, because it will only burn the individual files within the mounted disk image, not the disk image itself. Hence why it probably failed. You need to right-click on the disk image file itself without mounting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 997440

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
On some information I was provided, the Burn Option in Disk Utility has been moved directly into Finder. You can access it by either one of the below methods.

To burn ISO to disk in El Capitan:

1: Click once on the ISO on your desktop (so that it’s selected)

2: From Finder File menu, choose BURN DISK IMAGE xxxxxxx.iso to Disc (with xxxxxxx been the name of your ISO)

image.png

3: Or alternatively right click on the ISO and choose from the menu that’s appeared “Burn Disk Image xxxxxxx.iso to Disc.

image.png

Doing one of the above methods works the same as Burn used to in previous versions of Disk Utility before El Capitan.

agrublev

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2015
On some information I was provided, the Burn Option in Disk Utility has been moved directly into Finder. You can access it by either one of the below methods.

To burn ISO to disk in El Capitan:

1: Click once on the ISO on your desktop (so that it’s selected)

2: From Finder File menu, choose BURN DISK IMAGE xxxxxxx.iso to Disc (with xxxxxxx been the name of your ISO)

image.png

3: Or alternatively right click on the ISO and choose from the menu that’s appeared “Burn Disk Image xxxxxxx.iso to Disc.

image.png

Doing one of the above methods works the same as Burn used to in previous versions of Disk Utility before El Capitan.
YOU SIR ARE A GOD!!! THANK YOU A MILLION.

Reactions: Vi4Ever
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.