Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treese1040

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2015
Denver
Works perfect!

I signed up for this forum just so I could say "thank you" for helping me find a solution. I am new to Mac (for about a year now) and I'll never turn back to PC, but there is still a large learning curve for me to get the most out of my wonderful machine.

"Just learned something new" is something I'll be saying for years to come, I'm sure.

mindtpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Christchurch, New Zealand
I have a Crucial MX 100 firmware .ISO I need to burn. Before, Disk Utility could burn such without any problem. However, I am not seeing any "burn" option in Disk Utility.

Can someone point me to where it is?

I've written a very basic AppleScript so you can drag and drop a .iso on it and it will use the terminal command to burn the disk - paste the code into Script Editor (in the Utilities folder) and just save it as an Application and uptick the options (or use the attach one

on opentheFile
set thePath to POSIX path of theFile
display dialog "The disk will eject once it's burnt and verified" buttons {"Cancel", "Burn"}
tell application "System Events"
set burn_iso to "hdiutil burn " & thePath
do shell scriptburn_iso
end tell
end
open

Attachments

• drag drop burn.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 525
Reactions: 997440

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Could you tell me what the solution would be for burning to a usb rather than DVD/CD? Thanks a lot!

Disk Utility has an option called Restore. You just select your USB drive in Disk Utility and go to the menu and find the Restore option. There you select your ISO.

If you need a Terminal command, use dd:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/file.iso of=/dev/diskX bs=1M conv=sync

You can find the disk identifier with this (make sure it's the right one):
Code:
diskutil list

Make sure you unmount the disk first with:
Code:
unmountDisk /dev/diskX

I've written a very basic AppleScript so you can drag and drop a .iso on it and it will use the terminal command to burn the disk - paste the code into Script Editor (in the Utilities folder) and just save it as an Application and uptick the options (or use the attach one

on opentheFile
set thePath to POSIX path of theFile
display dialog "The disk will eject once it's burnt and verified" buttons {"Cancel", "Burn"}
tell application "System Events"
set burn_iso to "hdiutil burn " & thePath
do shell scriptburn_iso
end tell
end
open

Good work, but what's wrong with the Finder option?

Reactions: 997440

mindtpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Christchurch, New Zealand
Disk Utility has an option called Restore. You just select your USB drive in Disk Utility and go to the menu and find the Restore option. There you select your ISO.

If you need a Terminal command, use dd:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/file.iso of=/dev/diskX bs=1M conv=sync

You can find the disk identifier with this (make sure it's the right one):
Code:
diskutil list

Make sure you unmount the disk first with:
Code:
unmountDisk /dev/diskX

Nothing, but for the way I work this is faster for me - but mainly I just did it out of interest.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I've tried three times to write the Ubuntu iso, and all of them refuse to mount after burning. I would assume that they will mount after burning, otherwise how are they going to be read by the server to do the install.

This is most henous... How can I write danged iso files now?

And dd gives me 'Permission Denied', even after using sudo! bs=1M gives an error of illegal numeric value as well.

Crap...

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I've tried three times to write the Ubuntu iso, and all of them refuse to mount after burning. I would assume that they will mount after burning, otherwise how are they going to be read by the server to do the install.

And dd gives me 'Permission Denied', even after using sudo! bs=1M gives an error of illegal numeric value as well.

Crap...

What did you do exactly? You can’t use dd for burning. If you use Finder, you have to make sure that you do this by right-clicking on the ISO file itself (not the mounted volume in the sidebar). The right-click menu will say “Burn Disk Image” instead of just “Burn”. Alternatively, you can use the above-mentioned Terminal command:
Code:
hdiutil burn /path/to/file.iso

Edit: It is possible that you can’t mount your Linux discs on OS X. I’ve just tried this with some old Linux install discs and they are not recognised either. Try using them on the target machine first.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What did you do exactly? You can’t use dd for burning. If you use Finder, you have to make sure that you do this by right-clicking on the ISO file itself (not the mounted volume in the sidebar). The right-click menu will say “Burn Disk Image” instead of just “Burn”. Alternatively, you can use the above-mentioned Terminal command:
Code:
hdiutil burn /path/to/file.iso

Edit: It is possible that you can’t mount your Linux discs on OS X. I’ve just tried this with some old Linux install discs and they are not recognised either. Try using them on the target machine first.

Hmm... I assumed that they would mount. dd won't burn DVDs or CDs?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Funny that I found commands for burning DVDs and CDs using dd...:rolleyes: hdiutil worked. It still doesn't mount, but a copy of the discs didn't verify, so they were bad anyway...!

That’s not necessarily the case. They may still work. You might have come across commands that let you copy data from discs.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK

Crap...

This is what I do to burn iso.

1: Place the iSO on your desktop for ease. Click once on the ISO on your desktop (so that it’s selected)

2: From Finder File menu, choose BURN DISK IMAGE xxxxxxx.iso to Disc (with xxxxxxx been the name of your ISO)

1slaMrz.png

Y4OATsg.png

Also, you should be able to verify too with the above way of burning.
Ik2ibyy.png

Doing the above method/s works the same as Burn used to in previous versions of Disk Utility before El Capitan.

Also. If you for some reason you cannot burn the iso in El Capitan, there is a free third party app called Burn, which should work. It works very similar to the above.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Here's a screen shot from the third party Burn app.

NZ4RTCI.png

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think that something rather tragic happened... I think that the iso FILE was written to the discs and not the CONTENTS of the file?

Neither one will boot on the server I'm trying to install on. I'm using an older system with Toast, and see what happens, otherwise I have a Windows machine in chains in the basement that I might be able to trick into doing it...:eek:

EDIT: The disk still won't mount on the Mac, but...

Last edited:

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
I cannot find this 'Burn Disk Image "xxx" to Disc...' menu. The reason is 'No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on'.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Toast actually worked. It's a really old version, still running on El Capitan, which surprises me when my newer HP scanner won't work! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

So as HP lobotomizes itself, we ALL suffer.

But Ubuntu is running, and so is Boinc, although how do I remove some of the bizarre stuff that Ubuntu Desktop installed. I don't need their office suite on a server.o_O I just needed a gui...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This is what I do to burn iso.

1: Place the iSO on your desktop for ease. Click once on the ISO on your desktop (so that it’s selected)

2: From Finder File menu, choose BURN DISK IMAGE xxxxxxx.iso to Disc (with xxxxxxx been the name of your ISO)

Also, you should be able to verify too with the above way of burning.

Doing the above method/s works the same as Burn used to in previous versions of Disk Utility before El Capitan.

Also. If you for some reason you cannot burn the iso in El Capitan, there is a free third party app called Burn, which should work. It works very similar to the above.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Here's a screen shot from the third party Burn app.

I'm wondering why doing it this way didn't work. Odd...

johnedoner

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
I have a Crucial MX 100 firmware .ISO I need to burn. Before, Disk Utility could burn such without any problem. However, I am not seeing any "burn" option in Disk Utility.

Not there. However, there's a command-line utility for the purpose. Run Terminal, and do this:
hdiutil burn yourimagename.iso
(assuming your image is an iso; probably works also with dmg).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not there. However, there's a command-line utility for the purpose. Run Terminal, and do this:
hdiutil burn yourimagename.iso
(assuming your image is an iso; probably works also with dmg).

Did you even try reading the thread? The question was answered at least a dozen of times now...

jstegm

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
YOU SIR ARE A GOD!!! THANK YOU A MILLION.

Hi,
I am struggling with exactly the same thing. However, I do not get the option to choose the "burn to..." option in the contents menu - also not from the File menu in the top.

I can burn from terminal window using hdiutil but that seems rather silly - like crossing the stream to get water...

Any ideas?!?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 13.58.46.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 13.58.46.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 13.59.06.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 13.59.06.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 294

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Hi,
I am struggling with exactly the same thing. However, I do not get the option to choose the "burn to..." option in the contents menu - also not from the File menu in the top.

I can burn from terminal window using hdiutil but that seems rather silly - like crossing the stream to get water...

Any ideas?!?

Thanks.

First go to the Finder menu, Preferences and make sure you have ticked what I have ticked.

R38a9k0.png

1: Put the blank disc in the drive.

2: Place whatever you are wanting to burn to disc on the desktop (or ease of access) and click on it once, so that its selected.

3: Now, right click on it and you should have the burn to option listed in the menu that appears.

One last thing if the above doesn't help:

Go to System Information (hold down the Option button and go to the Apple menu). Check to see if your DVD drive is listed in the USB section. If not listed, try a different USB port.

Last edited:

thecrankytechguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
Still a problem in the GM.

And I say problem, because the help menu in Disk Utility still tells you to burn an image the same old way, that is missing: Select image form the side bar, and then click the burn button in the tool bar.

How very Microsoft Windows of them......

Jmillzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017

[doublepost=1487447753][/doublepost]Open Disk Utility. You can find it in the Applications folder, located in the Utilities section.
Click on the name of your DVD. It should be in the white pane on the left-hand side.
Choose New Image in the disk utility toolbar. A “Save As” dialog box will appear.
  • Name the new image.
  • Choose a destination where you want to save to the DVD.
  • Set the image format (at the bottom; not format) to DVD/CD Master.
  • Set the encryption to None.
  • Click Create and OSX will create your image file with a .cdr extension.
When the file is done saving, eject the DVD. You can watch the movie straight from your hard drive if desired, or convert it and burn a new disc.

TO BURN to a new disc... open Finder, type in the name of Image Disk file you names. Select the file (don't open or double click!)
Click File in the Finder menu... scroll down to Burn Disk Image "xxx" and follow prompts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.