Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hopeless1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2021
Hi all, I am looking to download Pages and Numbers for Mojave. The App store tells me that I need to be running system 11 or higher. Where do I find older, sound versions of both Pages and Numbers to download?

Reactions: Roadrunner86

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Probably out of luck.

A member is going through something similar right now. And appears since never "bought" it (ie. accepted the free version) in the past, they too can't get an older version of the software.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have iWork 05 (boxed version).
I wonder if that can be upgraded........😆

Joking aside, I have no use for 'office' type applications.
I think I only ever used it a couple of times, it's probably still installed on my G4 PowerBook.

Pricing & Availability
iWork ’05 will be available in the US on Saturday, January 22 and worldwide on Saturday, January 29 through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $79 (US). Minimum system requirements include Mac OS X version 10.3.6, a Macintosh® computer with a 500 MHz or faster PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor (G4 for PowerBook), 128 MB of RAM (512MB recommended), 8MB of video RAM (32MB recommended), QuickTime 6.5 or later and iLife ’04 or later recommended.

Hopeless1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2021
Well downloaded updates for Pages and Numbers but...guess what...because I never has installed the programs, they can't update them. Argh.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.38.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 2.38.10 PM.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 244

Hopeless1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2021
LibreOffice - free, native and, some would say, better than Pages & Numbers ;)
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
Thank you for the suggestion, I did try LibreOffice but ended up getting frustrated with it. Couldn't even do a basic spreadsheet. Super annoying cause back in the 90s I was doing desktop publishing for a living, used PageMaker 6.4 on my ol Mac Classic....I see that PageMaker did exist up til 2001 then disappeared.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
All that said, should the current Pages still work or will it once again crash my mac?
In theory, the last released version of Pages for macOS 10.14 should not crash your Mac.
In practice, only you can tell :) because every system has different additional software installed (like InDesign) that can cause incompatibilities and crashes.
Thanks, my bf uses this on his Linux machine, and my editor has been saving as .docx with Libre Office, but InDesign doesn't recognize these files. It will import .doc files, but the formatting is lost. So frustrating.
I don’t know if this helps in any way with formating, but LibreOffice has an option to “Export directly as PDF”
Export directly as PDF.jpg

Roadrunner86

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2022
In theory, the last released version of Pages for macOS 10.14 should not crash your Mac.
In practice, only you can tell :) because every system has different additional software installed (like InDesign) that can cause incompatibilities and crashes.

I don’t know if this helps in any way with formating, but LibreOffice has an option to “Export directly as PDF”
View attachment 1980395
Thanks again, however, a PDF isn’t editable. The normal routine is to import text from a document and then apply styles and place images to create a readable layout. Importing a PDF would be like adding an already baked cake to the mixing bowl.
I’ll just have to leave the doc window open while working up an InDesign layout, and refer back to it for italics, etc. (adding .doc to the text file in Finder enables InDesign to recognize it, but not .docx for some reason )

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
LibreOffice - free, native and, some would say, better than Pages & Numbers ;)
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
I can’t imagine thinking it’s better than Pages & Numbers. It’s an amazing accomplishment but I tried it recently and the interface feels stuck in the late 90s with a coat of paint to try to make it look modern

I wish I could contribute to open source software to help with that kind of thing

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the only way is to
copy and paste from another Mojave mac

or
  1. time machine Mojave
  2. download catalina
  3. save the programs on a USB
  4. reboot reinstall Mojave
  5. drag programs on Mojave from usb
i had to do this with my mac mini in late december

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
the interface feels stuck in the late 90s
I don’t have time to stare at the interface, I’ve got work to do ;-)
Otherwise https://www.google.com/search?q=How to Make LibreOffice Look Like&hl=en-US&gl=US
How to Make LibreOffice Look Like Microsoft Office https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/06/libreoffice-like-microsoft-office/
the only way is to

Other ways, in another thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/get-previous-version-of-pages-numbers-etc.2261522/

Reactions: MBAir2010

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I don’t have time to stare at the interface, I’ve got work to do ;-)
That’s the point.

This “Interface is just appearance” philosophy is unfortunately a huge problem for open source software.

Interface is partially appearance but the most important part is how things work. And one of the keys to a successful interface is that it works the way the operating system you’re using works.

I’m not interested in themes that attempt to patch a modern look over top while ignoring the fundamental flaws in an interface. I’m interested in using applications with smooth, functional user experiences that make it pleasant to get work done

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I recall that before 2009 or so, there was Apple software suite, iWork, which contained both Pages and Numbers. It is actually free, https://support.apple.com/downloads/productivitysoftware

so download and install Pages and Numbers, open them and use for something (the main thing get them associated with your Apple ID), after that you can update them. AppStore itself will indicate available updates.

Reactions: maxoakland

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I recall that before 2009 or so, there was Apple software suite, iWork, which contained both Pages and Numbers. It is actually free, https://support.apple.com/downloads/productivitysoftware

so download and install Pages and Numbers, open them and use for something (the main thing get them associated with your Apple ID), after that you can update them. AppStore itself will indicate available updates.
Are they not just updates in that link.....?
Do you not need a version installed to start with.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I don't need the iLife software, just browsing this thread......;)
I have iLife 08 box in the cupboard, not used it since PowerPC.

From previous experience, I thought you would need a 'full installer', for the benefit of others reading this.

Reactions: maxoakland

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I don't need the iLife software, just browsing this thread......;)
I have iLife 08 box in the cupboard, not used it since PowerPC.

From previous experience, I thought you would need a 'full installer', for the benefit of others reading this.
I have also full installer, iWork on DMG. Probably won't install on Monterey, can't test but I think its full.

Reactions: MarkC426

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
iWork ’09 trial dmg from Apple, mentioned and discussed in the other thread
Code:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iWork/Trial/2Z693-6764.01022009.awq23/iWork09Trial.dmg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just as a point of reference...

The versions of Pages/Numbers/Keynote I have running with Mojave is 10.1 (for all of them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.