Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scomerger

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
Speaking of Rebel, the blue Air 2 case is now available for purchase, and there's a 10% discount as well.

On that note, I ordered the black Otterbox Cactus case; it should arrive on Wednesday. Funnily enough, I ordered the OB Commuter case on Amazon before that, and I'm liking it so far. 🙃

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I have Spigen Liquid Air, and just picked up a second color ("titanium") in addition to black.
Note that someone was at the Apple Store this week - iPhone 15 Pro Max shattered inside of an OtterBox. Guy was furious; they didn't honor their guarantee.

UMRebel

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
North MS
Did the same today. Got the brown for my white 15PM. Love this case. This is what Apple should have done instead of not-so-FineWoven
If possible, could you please share pics of the white in the brown case? I also have the white phone and was thinking about picking up the brown Cactus.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Just picked up the Otterbox Cactus leather in black for my 15 Pro Max from Verizon.
It’s such a boring looking case…..but it’s now my favorite case released this year. Grippy, very light, buttons are super clicky and metal. MagSafe magnets are strong. Just feels great!
Hello Apple! Take a look at this case. It’s what you should have replaced the leather cases with.

Reactions: pin87a and AE14

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Anybody who has a Cactus and Nomad Sport, could you compare the size/weight on the two? I’m still rocking the Sport and 4 months in it’s solid, but I like the look of the Cactus.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Anyone tried this guy right here??

Edit: never mind, just realized there’s no action button cover… lol first world problems

Attachments

• IMG_5016.png
    IMG_5016.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Just picked up the Otterbox Cactus leather in black for my 15 Pro Max from Verizon.
It’s such a boring looking case…..but it’s now my favorite case released this year. Grippy, very light, buttons are super clicky and metal. MagSafe magnets are strong. Just feels great!
Hello Apple! Take a look at this case. It’s what you should have replaced the leather cases with.
can't wait to get one I love boring

• Haha
Reactions: Joe123Joe and AE14

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Went by my local Verizon store to pick up a Cactus case today. Online it said they had it in stock, none to be found at the store and the help had no idea what I was talking about. Guess I’ll wait for Amazon.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Out with the Cactus..............in with the Angry Miao o_O Just Kidding ;) This baby even has MagSafe

View attachment 2374605 View attachment 2374606 View attachment 2374607 View attachment 2374608 View attachment 2374609 View attachment 2374610
That has to be the ugliest case I've ever seen...and I've considered getting the Arc Pulse!

That looks like it has all the downsides of the Pulse without the sole benefit of the Pulse, feeling like you're holding a caseless phone.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Went by my local Verizon store to pick up a Cactus case today. Online it said they had it in stock, none to be found at the store and the help had no idea what I was talking about. Guess I’ll wait for Amazon.
Just an FYI. When I picked mine up at Verizon, they had no idea what it was and it was not displayed. They went to the back and brought it out surprised they had it. Make sure you to tell them to look in the back if the website shows they have stock.

Reactions: Zensō

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I got a Black Titanium 15 Pro Max 512GB. To be able to record video in ProRes Log.
The case is a Wolffilms. I have one already for my iPhone 7+ and an anamorphic lens. Which fits on the 15 PM as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7261.jpeg
    IMG_7261.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7260.jpeg
    IMG_7260.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 32

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
If possible, could you please share pics of the white in the brown case? I also have the white phone and was thinking about picking up the brown Cactus.
Yes, I can do that in a few hours. I am traveling for work and will have to use my work-issued POS Samsung A53, so the pictures will probably suck, but it will be better than nothing, haha.

Attachments

• image000002.jpeg
    image000002.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 60

toddm

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
What about recommendations for a case with grippy sides, enough grip it won't slide off a trunk/hood, that has a least some lip protecting the camera and front glass, that is not the Defender XT or silicone? I'm currently using the Defender XT on a 15 Pro Max, but it adds almost 1/2" of width/height to the phone, but it's the only thing I've found with grippy sides.

I've tried tons of the popular/recommended options, even those called "grippy". If the rubber grip on the Defender XT is a 10, I've yet to find another case that even approaches a 5.

Smartfish Gripzilla......it's just dimpled hard plastic.....not grippy at all
Spigen Ultra Hybrid, nope even remotely grippy
Rebel Clear, slightly grippy and it's still not really grippy, great buttons though!
Mous Limitless 5.0......slippery, nice case though
Nomad Rugged.....great case, but almost no camera protection and you guessed it, slippery.
Speckas Presidio Grip 2......used to be great grip, but the new ones are really slick
Zagg Santa Cruz, this one had okay side grip, but zero camera/front glass protection, case stopped flush with both.
Torras UPro case, this one is probably the best grip of the lot, but still so far behind the XT, super strong magsafe, but is basically flush with the camera lenses and the sides pull apart super easy.

The TPU/TPE stuff they are using now must be cheap for the manufacturer, cause it sure doesn't provide any grip. Maybe case companies get kick backs from the phone manufacturers for making cases that are even more slippery than the phone without a case.

On a previous phone I had the UAG Plasma, it had just okay grip, but it seems like their current cases don't get well reviewed at all.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
What about recommendations for a case with grippy sides, enough grip it won't slide off a trunk/hood, that has a least some lip protecting the camera and front glass, that is not the Defender XT or silicone? I'm currently using the Defender XT on a 15 Pro Max, but it adds almost 1/2" of width/height to the phone, but it's the only thing I've found with grippy sides.

I've tried tons of the popular/recommended options, even those called "grippy". If the rubber grip on the Defender XT is a 10, I've yet to find another case that even approaches a 5.

Smartfish Gripzilla......it's just dimpled hard plastic.....not grippy at all
Spigen Ultra Hybrid, nope even remotely grippy
Rebel Clear, slightly grippy and it's still not really grippy, great buttons though!
Mous Limitless 5.0......slippery, nice case though
Nomad Rugged.....great case, but almost no camera protection and you guessed it, slippery.
Speckas Presidio Grip 2......used to be great grip, but the new ones are really slick
Zagg Santa Cruz, this one had okay side grip, but zero camera/front glass protection, case stopped flush with both.
Torras UPro case, this one is probably the best grip of the lot, but still so far behind the XT, super strong magsafe, but is basically flush with the camera lenses and the sides pull apart super easy.

The TPU/TPE stuff they are using now must be cheap for the manufacturer, cause it sure doesn't provide any grip. Maybe case companies get kick backs from the phone manufacturers for making cases that are even more slippery than the phone without a case.

On a previous phone I had the UAG Plasma, it had just okay grip, but it seems like their current cases don't get well reviewed at all.
At least among case aficionados, the preference trend has been toward cases that have a tighter fit, hence the use of harder TPU, with cases like the Caudabe Synthesis and Phone Rebel Gen 5 as just a couple of examples. Old school Otterbox cases have always used softer TPU, which has rubber-like qualities that tends to stretch over time, resulting in the dreaded droop/slop.

For side grip, you might look at the Gen 5 and Synthesis mentioned above, both of which have loads of side grip, but would most likely fail your hood/trunk test.

Reactions: off2marz

JBlass421

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2019
Ridge is in the iPhone case business now. They came out with three new cases, two leather options and one kevlar option. They look pretty good! Hopefully reviews for them will surface soon!

035c0fff7f51639937a535a89f66e299.jpg

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
I wish we had Otterbox rep on here so I could tell them how much i hate them for neglecting UK market every frigging year.

Scomerger

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
So the Cactus case arrived via FedEx.

It has good fit, with no pull around the volume and power buttons (unlike the Commuter, oh God the loose pull). It’s slim and pretty grippy (though not as grippy as the Rebel Air case), and the buttons feel like metal.

I hate to be that guy, though, but there’s a gap on the bottom where if you slightly tilt the phone downward, you can see the light thru the charging port. It doesn’t personally bother me, but it might do to others.

With all said and done, it’s an excellent case so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.