Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Hello everybody,

I am restoring an old Mini A1176 to become a little music server and as such I want to convert my FLAC library to ALAC so that I can play it through iTunes because it is the best way to arrange playlists and being built in into the OS I won't have to deal with software not running on too old of a machine.

Question being which converter should I use to convert the library to ALAC (or is it better to convert to AAC?) without to bother too much about settings? I mean, once I decide the target format to make so it uses the same settings as the original file (bitrate etc).

Grazie for your suggestions

Giovanni

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I use MAX - See Link here

Disclaimer - it has not been updated in a long time but I still use it and it works great for me.

EDIT: Opps - sorry does not convert to ALAC

Last edited:

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I am using this one
https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

its free and easy. On output format i am using ALAC 44100 Hz and deselect "search cover art automatically" options because its not working well. Anyway, great software.

I found out I already had XLD on my computer and am using that one, many a times it can also retrieve data off the music database to add covers where not already built in, so far seems to be working nice but I will give a try at the one you suggest.

By the way I gotta skim the collection, found out it being about 100GB most of which being stuff I won't listen at all, I just hope that m4a can be easily handled by the old Mini Core Duo 2 I am restoring to work as a media player.

Grazie

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

Attachments

• duck_window.jpg
    duck_window.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 143
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.