Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
pretty much guaranteed. The A6 and 1gb is very capable. Plus it has a triple core GPU if i remember correctly.

kidflash96609

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
United States
pretty much guaranteed. The A6 and 1gb is very capable. Plus it has a triple core GPU if i remember correctly.

so your saying the iPhone 5c will definitely support iOS 10? and how can i save battery life on my 5c? i also have auto-brightness on which I keep thinking it saves a lot of battery life

Agree, but think Mini2 will get it. No reason not to. Only differentiator is TouchID, as you note.

Will the iPhone 5c get iOS 10? since it has the A6 processor and 1gb ram which is very capable

Last edited by a moderator:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Uuugh. Here we go, I'll list my prediction:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus; iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2; iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4; iPod touch (6th generation).

New devices: iPhone 5se, iPhone 7, iPad Air 3.

The iPad 3rd gen. may also get dropped along with the iPad 2 because they have the same processor, with the exception that the iPad 3rd gen. has better graphics.

Last edited:

kidflash96609

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2015
United States
Uuugh. Here we go, I'll list them all:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus; iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2; iPad Mini, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4; iPod touch (6th generation).

The iPad 3rd gen. may also get dropped along the iPad 2 because they have the same processor, with the exception that the iPad 3rd gen. has better graphics.

okay! when will the keynote be held in June?
[doublepost=1454630322][/doublepost]
Uuugh. Here we go, I'll list them all:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus; iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2; iPad Mini, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4; iPod touch (6th generation).

The iPad 3rd gen. may also get dropped along with the iPad 2 because they have the same processor, with the exception that the iPad 3rd gen. has better graphics.

what new features do you think will be in iOS 10? list them all:

and what are the chances for a new interface?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
okay! when will the keynote be held in June?
[doublepost=1454630322][/doublepost]

what new features do you think will be in iOS 10? list them all:

and what are the chances for a new interface?

June 6th. 6/6/2016.

New UI will look like this:

image.jpeg

And iOS 10 will feature hologram support.

/s

Reactions: kiranmk2 and I7guy

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Bonus year for who? iPad 2, 4S buyers probably yes. But i don't think people should be overly grateful that their Apple purchase from 2015 is still getting a software updates after 6 months. I must have missed the disclaimer on the mini 1, which informed about the lack of future software support. It was Apple's own choice to sell outdated processors way beyond a healthy product life cycle. And this backfires now, especially for iPads:

iPad-Device-Share_1.png

Those devices won't disappear with a 64 bit only iOS 10. Some people will upgrade, most of them probably won't until these iPads falls apart. If Apple drops them, developers will face smaller installation base and more hassle to keep their apps compatible. In an already shrinking iPad market, probably not a good outlook. As much as i appreciate a move to only 64 bit, there is no easy way out the current situation. I don't know, maybe Apple could release a barebone iOS 10 for those devices. Or some kind of last iOS 9.4 update with the possibility of minor future enhancements and security patches (similar to outdated Mac OS X versions).
I have a hard time believing that 3% of all iPads in use to day are the original model. It runs iOS 5, and we're basically at iOS 10...

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2015
Will the iPhone 5c get iOS 10? since it has the A6 processor and 1gb ram which is very capable

I'm 90% sure iPhone 5 & 5c would both get iOS 10. They are not that old.

since we all know that the current iOS 9 supports the iPhone 4s and up. but I have an iPhone 5c 16gb and I wanted to know what are the chances of iOS 10 supporting the iPhone5c?
The iPhone 5c is still a powerful phone, It would get iOS 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
None of the features that came with iOS 9 for 64-bit devices is only 64 bit compatible, for example, split view, slide over, picture in picture, night shift. All these features can be enabled with a jailbreak tweak, I've seen videos on enabling multitasking features on older iPads, surprisingly, iPad 3 runs split view very nicely, iPad mini & iPad 2 both run them ok. iPad 4 & iPad Air run split view very beautifully. It's just about forcing people to upgrade, I will jailbreak my device as soon as 9.4 comes out. I will resist the force of Apple trying to convince me to upgrade to the next big update (iOS 10).

Are you trying to make a planned obsolescence argument? That's not what i intended to say. At least for the A5 devices there are valid ram and processor constraints. Split Screen Multitasking, Content Blockers etc. i can see that this could push those older devices beyond their limit. But not Keyboard Trackpad Selection (on iPhones) or Nightshift. Those seem arbitrary and i suspect a business strategy. And i would hate if Apple's follows this path, because it looks like soon there won't be any valid processor/ram constraints. Faster hardware is already a negligible upgrade reason for some people (there is a noticeable number of posts, who don't notice a speed difference between the 6 and the 6S in the iPhone forum). I would rather see Apple adopting the Mac OS model in the future. Include all features unless some special hardware is missing and finally allow downgrades.

It's not that those features can't be done for 32-bit devices, it's that they have to be coded with additional APIs and frameworks to work with 32-bit devices, but that coding needs to happen for it to work. So when creating some feature the decision is to go with something that would require some additional work to work with 32-bit devices and thus additional testing and all that, or focus on the current state of technology which is more and more 64-bit. Features can be written to work with PowerPC Macs as well, but that's not the current state of technology, so they aren't. This is basically along similar lines.

Apple is still refining and adding 32bit APIs and frameworks for iOS 9.3. They even implemented features like secure notes for A5 devices, which seems like a more difficult task than a simple display color setting. As is said before those decisions are not purely based on technological progress. Often they are also a business decision. The same kind of business decisions that led to the sale of outdated processors in 2014/2015 devices when nearly all of the software was ported to 64 bit. If they just stopped selling them sooner or upgraded the processor, we probably wouldn't have this discussion.

And your Power Pc Mac analogy isn't working for me. The historical context was too different: Apple was a way smaller company, didn't design its own processors, different PC-landcape/third party software support and a smaller number of affected devices. Same goes for the transition from Core Solo/Core Duo to Core2Duo. I'm curious about Apple's solution this time. In contrast to this historical events the number of dropped device seems enormous and the reaction from the developer community and consumers (in times of ultrabooks/phablets) is uncertain.

I have a hard time believing that 3% of all iPads in use to day are the original model. It runs iOS 5, and we're basically at iOS 10...

3% seems indeed a bit high, but it is not completely unlikely given the >14 million iPad 1. Maybe this model has a higher margin of error, but i don't know. The localytics report doesn't say much about their methodology: http://info.localytics.com/blog/ipad-market-share-analysis-will-the-ipad-pro-dethrone-the-ipad-2 But their main point is valid. There a quiet a lot of A5 iPads around.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you trying to make a planned obsolescence argument? That's not what i intended to say. At least for the A5 devices there are valid ram and processor constraints. Split Screen Multitasking, Content Blockers etc. i can see that this could push those older devices beyond their limit. But not Keyboard Trackpad Selection (on iPhones) or Nightshift. Those seem arbitrary and i suspect a business strategy. And i would hate if Apple's follows this path, because it looks like soon there won't be any valid processor/ram constraints. Faster hardware is already a negligible upgrade reason for some people (there is a noticeable number of posts, who don't notice a speed difference between the 6 and the 6S in the iPhone forum). I would rather see Apple adopting the Mac OS model in the future. Include all features unless some special hardware is missing and finally allow downgrades.

Apple is still refining and adding 32bit APIs and frameworks for iOS 9.3. They even implemented features like secure notes for A5 devices, which seems like a more difficult task than a simple display color setting. As is said before those decisions are not purely based on technological progress. Often they are also a business decision. The same kind of business decisions that led to the sale of outdated processors in 2014/2015 devices when nearly all of the software was ported to 64 bit. If they just stopped selling them sooner or upgraded the processor, we probably wouldn't have this discussion.

And your Power Pc Mac analogy isn't working for me. The historical context was too different: Apple was a way smaller company, didn't design its own processors, different PC-landcape/third party software support and a smaller number of affected devices. Same goes for the transition from Core Solo/Core Duo to Core2Duo. I'm curious about Apple's solution this time. In contrast to this historical events the number of dropped device seems enormous and the reaction from the developer community and consumers (in times of ultrabooks/phablets) is uncertain.

3% seems indeed a bit high, but it is not completely unlikely given the >14 million iPad 1. Maybe this model has a higher margin of error, but i don't know. The localytics report doesn't say much about their methodology: http://info.localytics.com/blog/ipad-market-share-analysis-will-the-ipad-pro-dethrone-the-ipad-2 But their main point is valid. There a quiet a lot of A5 iPads around.
And part of what I'm trying to demonstrate is that they don't always have to be based on purely business decisions either. Sometimes it's one or the other, sometimes it's a mix of different things. Unless there's something that specifically shows it's just one and only one reasoning there really didn't much of a way to rule other possibilities out and only say it's this or that for sure and nothing else.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
I'm thinking;

iPhone 5 and newer
iPad 4/iPad mini 2 and newer

I predict that A6 will be the new minimum required.

Last edited:

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
And part of what I'm trying to demonstrate is that they don't always have to be based on purely business decisions either. Sometimes it's one or the other, sometimes it's a mix of different things. Unless there's something that specifically shows it's just one and only one reasoning there really didn't much of a way to rule other possibilities out and only say it's this or that for sure and nothing else.

If you can provide further evidence, why 32bit Nightshift is an unsurmountable technical hurdle for Apple, please show me. So far you keep insisting on your point that 64 bit is more common (true), but what exactly makes changing the display color so special? Of course i can't rule out all possibilities, but there is strong evidence that this decision is not related to technological progress at all. As others have said, flux and GammaThingy tap the (undocumented) display apis and provide a similar functionality for 32bit devices. Those devices don't fall apart suddenly and neither processor architecture nor the RAM is some kind of bottleneck. And i hope we can at least rule out that Apple hasn't lost it's ability to code in 32bit when they continue to ensure compatibility for other features. If hardware and coding aren't the problem, it all comes down to costs (coding hours/backward compatibility testing) and marketing in this case. I really don't see much room for other conclusions.

Even if you want to dismiss this evidence for being to close to jailbreaking/sideloading, i would like to hear your reasoning for the removal of Keyboard Trackpad on iPhones. Apple went through the effort of testing it internally, brought it to the dev beta, then the public beta and it worked well for many people. And then it got removed with the last beta until it miraculously reappeared as a new unique 3D touch feature. And for someone like me, who has used both methods, the worst part of the story is that the text selection is now more unreliable than previous two finger tap from the beta.

I'm not a fan of this technological progress argument, because companies use it too often to conveniently cut down software support. Especially if their money is made by hardware sales. Android (OEMs) in it's early stages showed in an extreme way what kind of unsustainable and insecure hardware can be created. I don't want to see Apple taking further steps in this direction with iOS. I like their Mac approach way better. The lack of downgrades concerns me (and it's actually the reason i won't buy iPads anymore). And i find moves like Nightshift a bit alarming (the same goes for Livephotos/ Keyboard Trackpad etc.), because it is not easy to find a plausible technical explanation for not porting those things. At least for previous iOS versions most of the new features have been mainly related to some kind of newer hardware. Even the often cited lack of Siri on the iPhone 4 had a technical background. The new noise cancellation microphone was better outside (the jailbreak versions for the 4 sucked outside a silent room). I'm afraid that with a tougher smartphone/tablet market and devices that have become good enough for most everyday tasks, cutting out features for no apparent reason or not optimizing software will be acceptable company behavior. Instead i would rather like to pay again for great software updates like in the early days of Mac and iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you can provide further evidence, why 32bit Nightshift is an unsurmountable technical hurdle for Apple, please show me. So far you keep insisting on your point that 64 bit is more common (true), but what exactly makes changing the display color so special? Of course i can't rule out all possibilities, but there is strong evidence that this decision is not related to technological progress at all. As others have said, flux and GammaThingy tap the (undocumented) display apis and provide a similar functionality for 32bit devices. Those devices don't fall apart suddenly and neither processor architecture nor the RAM is some kind of bottleneck. And i hope we can at least rule out that Apple hasn't lost it's ability to code in 32bit when they continue to ensure compatibility for other features. If hardware and coding aren't the problem, it all comes down to costs (coding hours/backward compatibility testing) and marketing in this case. I really don't see much room for other conclusions.

Even if you want to dismiss this evidence for being to close to jailbreaking/sideloading, i would like to hear your reasoning for the removal of Keyboard Trackpad on iPhones. Apple went through the effort of testing it internally, brought it to the dev beta, then the public beta and it worked well for many people. And then it got removed with the last beta until it miraculously reappeared as a new unique 3D touch feature. And for someone like me, who has used both methods, the worst part of the story is that the text selection is now more unreliable than previous two finger tap from the beta.

I'm not a fan of this technological progress argument, because companies use it too often to conveniently cut down software support. Especially if their money is made by hardware sales. Android (OEMs) in it's early stages showed in an extreme way what kind of unsustainable and insecure hardware can be created. I don't want to see Apple taking further steps in this direction with iOS. I like their Mac approach way better. The lack of downgrades concerns me (and it's actually the reason i won't buy iPads anymore). And i find moves like Nightshift a bit alarming (the same goes for Livephotos/ Keyboard Trackpad etc.), because it is not easy to find a plausible technical explanation for not porting those things. At least for previous iOS versions most of the new features have been mainly related to some kind of newer hardware. Even the often cited lack of Siri on the iPhone 4 had a technical background. The new noise cancellation microphone was better outside (the jailbreak versions for the 4 sucked outside a silent room). I'm afraid that with a tougher smartphone/tablet market and devices that have become good enough for most everyday tasks cutting out features for no apparent reason or not optimizing software will be acceptable company behavior. Instead i would rather to pay again for great software updates like in the early days of Mac and iOS.
Just as there is nothing to show that it's purely done because of marketing type of reasons and nothing else.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i would like to hear your reasoning for the removal of Keyboard Trackpad on iPhones. Apple went through the effort of testing it internally, brought it to the dev beta, then the public beta and it worked well for many people. And then it got removed with the last beta until it miraculously reappeared as a new unique 3D touch feature.

Two finger trackpad was only in for the very first 9.0 Developer Preview and was never in the Public Beta. It most likely only showed up in that because they were obviously adding it for iPhone (to be used in 3D Touch) but at that early stage wasn't hidden for the 3D Touch only iPhones yet. That does not mean they added it and took it away only to re-add it to push sales on the new phone. It means the code for it was there because they already intended for it to be for 3D Touch (and iPads) and wasn't finished being worked on in the very first, earliest Developer Beta.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
The reason is likely a simple one, as has been brought up many times in discussions about Night Shift: the code for that feature has most likely been written using some 64-bit frameworks/libraries and therefore silly won't run on 32-bit devices.
Oh right? But have discussed about how silly that decision is?

Why? Simply why, why such a simple excuse?

Take Proactive for example. A MUCH MORE complex feature that they went through the trouble to write using both 32 and 64 libraries/frameworks for both 32 and 64 devices.
Now that you mention the word "framework", OpenGL isn't even close to an excuse about it "not being possible to render" (i've worked with that thing since i can remember). And far worse:there're even more simple and primitive rendering engines that can handle this perfectly.
Not to mention f.lux and since what device it has been working on.
No matter what you say, this is simply a marketing decision and NOTHING MORE.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh right? But have discussed about how silly that decision is?

Why? Simply why, why such a simple excuse?

Take Proactive for example. A MUCH MORE complex feature that they went through the trouble to write using both 32 and 64 libraries/frameworks for both 32 and 64 devices.
Now that you mention the word "framework", OpenGL isn't even close to an excuse about it "not being possible to render" (i've worked with that thing since i can remember). And far worse:there're even more simple and primitive rendering engines that can handle this perfectly.
Not to mention f.lux and since what device it has been working on.
No matter what you say, this is simply a marketing decision and NOTHING MORE.
As mentioned before, it's just one possibility as none of the others have been ruled out. Just because someone might not agree with something or can't really imagine something else being the case doesn't mean that those other explanations can't apply or play a role.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
My iPad 4 is running iOS 9.2 and it performs amazingly good for its age. Believe me, I tried an iPad Air at an Apple Store and I can't believe how much I hated trying it, not compared to an iPad 4, I'm not overreacting cause I have an iPad 4 but this is really the truth, I suffered with iOS 8 but iOS 9 is just doing what it's supposed to do on some devices. Please check your fathers iPad 4 and try using it for a full day before you give ur comment on performance. Compared to an iPad Air 2, the Air 2 is just slightly better in multitasking and very heavy graphics intensive games' than the iPad 4. iPad 3 is just a confusing case, but I'm 75% sure it's not getting iOS 10 for some reasons, 1. It's basically an "iPad 2 with Retina display", 2. The 1gb of ram is just for handling the more pixels the iPad 3 has over the iPad 2, 3. The CPU performance is just the same as an iPad 2, 4. The iPad 3's GPU is just better than the iPad 2's cause of the Retina display and the large amount of pixels.
[doublepost=1452284605][/doublepost]
The iPhone 5 is just getting iOS 10.
My prediction.
iOS 10 Supported Devices
A6, A7, A8, A9 iPhones
A6X, A7, A8, A8X, A9X iPads

-All A5, A5X devices support phased out.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My prediction.
iOS 10 Supported Devices
A6, A7, A8, A9 iPhones

A5 powered iPhone 5C still too popular, AND recent. More importantly, recent, was still being sold as new as recently as this past Fall.
It still gets at least 1 more update.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
A5 powered iPhone 5C still too popular, AND recent. More importantly, recent, was still being sold as new as recently as this past Fall.
It still gets at least 1 more update.
Your right but for a different reason the iPhone 5c is powered by A6 chip, so as I stated they will continue to be supported.

Reactions: Menel

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My prediction.
iOS 10 Supported Devices
A6, A7, A8, A9 iPhones

Agreed, I think iPhone 4s, iPad 2 & 3, iPad Mini (1st gen) and iPod touch (5th gen) will be dropped. Following iOS 10's release iPhone 5/5c and iPad 4 owners who upgrade will complain about how slow it is and will wish they hadn't upgraded... iOS 10.1 or 10.2 will promise faster performance for older devices...

Josh54671

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
Huh… I should've posted my prediction in THIS thread than the other one I posted it in.

Well, based on my observations, Apple has usually based which devices they support based on what they currently sell.

With iOS 7, Apple dropped support for the 4th generation iPod Touch, but still kept the iPhone 4. This was likely a RAM issue, as the 4th gen Touch only had 256MB of RAM. They had the same A4 CPU, but the RAM was what made a difference. However, what Apple did to cut off the 4th gen Touch was interesting: they quietly discontinued it a couple months BEFORE introducing iOS 7, and they introduced that low-cost 5th gen 16GB iPod Touch that lacked the rear iSight camera. This allowed them to ax the 4th gen iPod Touch, because they were no longer selling it.

This is how they support devices. You have to pay attention to what Apple currently sells. This is why Apple supported the iPhone 3GS for iOS 6 and not the original iPad. They had stopped selling the original iPad by that point, but still sold the iPhone 3GS. Again, last year, Apple still sold the iPad mini and 5th gen iPod Touch when they introduced iOS 9, so those devices, along with other devices with similar hardware would still get supported.

Last summer after WWDC, Apple quietly discontinued the original iPad mini, and they finally refreshed their iPod Touch to have an A8 chip in it, replacing the 5th gen iPod Touch. Currently, Apple sells the iPhone SE with an A9 chip, the iPhone 6 models with the A8 chip, and the flagship 6S models which also have the A9. In fact, almost all their devices at this point are A8 and higher. The only exception is the iPad mini 2.

So, assuming Apple doesn't discontinue the iPad mini 2 before WWDC, I think all A5(X) and A6(X) devices will be discontinued. Apple hasn't sold any of these devices in quite a long time, so I think there's no reason for them to support them.

iOS 10 will support: iPhone 5S and later, iPad Air and later, iPad mini 2 and later, iPod Touch 6th gen, and obviously both iPad Pro models.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
I really hope the iPad 3 continues to be supported. I know it is getting slow but I do not mind that for what I use it for. I am not prepared to start thinking of my iPad as outdated the time has gone just too quick. Even begging for one more generation is silly, but I know as soon as the software is out of date apps will start working like crap. I do not feel I have gotten enough values worth from my iPad to feel "sold" on running out to buy a replacement. This will likely just make me iPadless and a little bitter.

Just my thoughts. I agree with the rationale that ti won't be supported, but it will frustrate me when it becomes official.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.