Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad product line would you remove from the iPad family as a whole, if you had to pick one?

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch/13-inch

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad Pro 11-inch

Votes: 43 12.5%
  • iPad Air

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • iPad mini

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 118 34.3%

• Total voters

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Scenario: You are hired as the new Vice President of iPad Marketing at Apple. Once the welcoming committees and intro meetings die down, you are told by Greg Joswiak that Apple has too many iPad product lines and that one will have to be discontinued without replacement at the next major product refresh/launch (of at least one of the other iPad lines).

Which model do you pick to get rid of?

For the sake of argument (and stemming it), let's assume that this decision is to be made purely strategically for the benefit of the iPad product family as a whole and that your decision isn't necessarily supposed to reflect your own preference whatsoever.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
None, except the 10.2, which is not speciafically mentioned. All the other models have their place in the line, including the smaller pro and the air. Not only that, the new 12.9 air will have its place too.
Those who want to remove a device simply have no use for it but they all have a point and a price point to fill.
I for instance have no use for the base iPad or for the air, I only buy pro and mini, but still fill those other iPads are important in the line.
Of course the usual minimalists would like to remove models, but that's to the detriment of Apple and consumers

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Since the recent iPad (no suffix) has adopted the design of the iPad Air, I'd probably get rid of the iPad Air, or rename the base iPad to iPad Air and get rid of the base iPad. It's a weird situation right now, especially when they increased the price of the base iPad to be closer to the Air line.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Since the recent iPad (no suffix) has adopted the design of the iPad Air, I'd probably get rid of the iPad Air, or rename the base iPad to iPad Air and get rid of the base iPad. It's a weird situation right now, especially when they increased the price of the base iPad to be closer to the Air line.
I think the price of the base should go down somewhat once the 10.2 is removed form the line

ry-guy

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
North of Sweden
Considering some devices are lighter or the same as the AIR, i would get rid of that one. It needs a new name or some difference.
But
Ideally
I would go:
iPad mini
iPad 10
iPad Pro- 2 sizes

-All of them get the same processor with the option to upgrade if you want but start it at least m1. Enough of this “features not available “ unless m chips.
- all get the same Pen support
- all get the same keyboard support
- same login (ideally both FaceID and Touch)

This simplifies and allows focus. And not sell the previous years model as a cheap way in. Just make the best versions and force a choice, if you will.

One can dream.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'd do it the other way around, I'd change the name of the iPad Air to just iPad. The Air name doesn't make much sense, especially after the next release where the Pro is expected to be lighter than the Air.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Since they fit so well in each price segment, I can't see any of them go. Leaning towards the 11" pro if I have to pick one.

The best solution for Apple, since everyone has an iPad these days, is to remove the bottom one, so people are forced to buy a more expensive model.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Apple should adhere iPad lineup to mimic the MacBook lineup. There should only be Air and Pro models or just iPad and iPad Pro - I honestly dont care for what they call them.

Once they clean up the lineup, they should stick with 2-3 sizes for each lineup - something like this.

iPad Pro
8.3" - $500
11" - $800
12.9" - $1100

iPad Air
10.9 - $400
12.8" - $700

The pro's should have higher base storage and latest camera and cpu tech, while air should be previous gen parts recycled at more affordable prices.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Apple should adhere iPad lineup to mimic the MacBook lineup. There should only be Air and Pro models or just iPad and iPad Pro - I honestly dont care for what they call them.

Once they clean up the lineup, they should stick with 2-3 sizes for each lineup - something like this.

iPad Pro
8.3" - $500
11" - $800
12.9" - $1100

iPad Air
10.9 - $400
12.8" - $700

The pro's should have higher base storage and latest camera and cpu tech, while air should be previous gen parts recycled at more affordable prices.
They essentially do that with the pro and mini - they should just rename 8.3 mini, do few updates and call it Pro.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Three sizes would be sufficient, plus a budget model, but that could simply be the medium-sized model from 2-3 years ago.

Or look at the Samsung lineup: They have the premium S line in three sizes and the budget A line in two sizes. Much clearer and understandable.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
my druthers would have a mini Pro model... perhaps "eliminate" the 11" Pro and upgrade the Air a bit. But just because I have zero use for the "advanced" cameras on the iPad Pro models doesn't mean nobody does... since we're in total LaLa, I'd also turn the base iPad back into the 9.7" model, give it a nicer screen, and then that would be for me... (the original iPad 2 form with reduced bezels/weight would be heavenly)

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
I think the point of the Air is to raise the price of the base iPad, so I would eliminate the Air.

iPhones have an SE version, a regular version and a pro version, with the last two coming in two sizes. The default iPhone is the regular one, for people who can't or don't want to pay for the Pro.
With the iPads, I would want a similar line-up - one SE version (iPad Mini), the regular version and the Pro version, with the last two coming in two sizes. The default iPad would be the new "regular" iPad which would be a combination of the Air and the current iPad 10.

Just make a good base model iPad that doesn't have any glaring compromises and start the storage at 128GB. Price it reasonably and leave the higher price points for the larger model of the default iPad as well as the two Pros. Eliminating something from the line-up would make it more difficult for Apple to gimp the default/base version or overcharge for it, which they are doing now.
And as others have said, the name "Air" has lost its meaning, same as it is with the MacBook.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPhones have an SE version, a regular version and a pro version, with the last two coming in two sizes. The default iPhone is the regular one, for people who can't or don't want to pay for the Pro.
With the iPads, I would want a similar line-up - one SE version (iPad Mini), the regular version and the Pro version, with the last two coming in two sizes. The default iPad would be the new "regular" iPad which would be a combination of the Air and the current iPad 10.

But the current iPad lineup already mimics the iPhone line.

iPad = iPhone SE

iPad mini = iPhone mini (before they nuked the iPhone mini)
iPad Air = iPhone

iPad Pro 11 = iPhone Pro
iPad Pro 12.9 = iPhone Pro Max

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
The iPad Air. I realize that it exists as a "stepping stone" product that is just a bit cheaper than the iPad Pro to encourage people to spend more money on a better model, but it's awkwardly positioned in terms of specs and the name doesn't make any sense either.

The cheaper iPad, by comparison, is important for the education/kid/grandparent market.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
As "VP of iPad Marketing," your job would have you seeing the lineup differently than we consumers see it. I suspect the catalyst for this poll is probably grounded in a popular consumer viewpoint concept of "the good old days" when there was as little as a single model or two for sale. Thus, all these (many) choices seem to be undesirable through our consumer lens.

Some of us even connect the concept to the late Apple Inc situation just before Jobs became CEO again... in which he consolidated the many to the few and focused on the few. What we seem to ignore about that was that Apple was TINY then... even having to go to Bill Gates for a relatively small loan just to keep the doors open. Was it Jobs genius to consolidate down to the few or was business reality such that Apple could only afford to make relatively few products during that "nearly bankrupt" period? Who really knows? Our lenses can see history a thousand different ways too, depending on how one wants to see it.

Apple Inc in 2024 is typically either "richest company in the world" or running a close second or so at any given time. There's no path back towards a tiny few products that then maintains all that revenue to maintain or grow that standing. It's a very different Apple than it was in 1996-1997 and it needs broader product lines (and "next big things" new lines to roll out) to maintain "another record quarter" growth.

They don't make all these different iPads but then sell only the good ones. They must be selling enough of each line to justify its existence as a line. As VP of iPad Marketing, we would see this in company dollars & sense (alt spelling intentional) and continue doing whatever was likely to yield the most revenue from our division... even if that means adding MORE iPad variety in the future. 🤪 That's the JOB!

Through our consumer lens, we may wish that they would simplify down to only the best of each line of Apple products... which is probably judged best by the one we personally choose to own. However, ask the next consumer what are best offerings from each line and their answer may differ from yours. And ask the next consumer and their opinion will probably differ from the other two. Etc.

My personal favorite iPad- and the only one I choose to own- is iPad Mini. So based upon my judgement, I might think the rest of the lineup is dumb but keep making that one "best" iPad (as I see it). However, yesterday or so, I saw a thread asking how long until Apple finally kills the Mini, filled with select posts poking at it as seemingly weakest link (in that opinion). Apparently that guy feels differently than I do??? Consumers have opinions that differ from our own??? Who would think it? ;)

This VP who arbitrarily kills a line because they like it least personally may be killing a big stream of revenue important to the department. Sales for that line might not automatically shift to what is left... but may bail to Fire or other tablet options. Department sales go down and this VP is soon fired for not doing the job, which is less about picking favorites and more about maximizing revenue & profit.

Now, if we want to reframe the poll and ask what is the least desirable iPad in the lineup, this consumer would offer any of them other than Mini. However, I'm sharp enough to know the next guy(s) may feel very differently... even- as odd as it could seem- rank Mini last and thus the first one deserving to be ejected. And the next guy will likely identify another one that should be first on the block. Thus, 5 lines of iPads in 2024 apparently is the right number of lines through the business lens at Apple Inc. I'm certain they don't make any iPad models at all knowing that nobody will want them... as measured by revenue instead of any one person's opinion... or sentimentality.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'd get rid of the iPad Pro (all of them). They don't do anything that you can't do on the air, and just cost more.

Alternatively, they can get rid of the fisher price OS and put a proper OS on the iPad Pro if they want to sell it at those prices.

I have an iPad, iPad Mini, and iPad Air in our house, and aside from the pen compatibility matrix and screen size, they all seem nearly identical to me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As "VP of iPad Marketing," your job would have you seeing the lineup differently than we consumers see it. I suspect the catalyst for this poll is probably grounded in a popular consumer viewpoint concept of "the good old days" when there was as little as a single model or two for sale. Thus, all these (many) choices seem to be undesirable through our consumer lens.

Some of us even connect the concept to the late Apple Inc situation just before Jobs became CEO again... in which he consolidated the many to the few and focused on the few. What we seem to ignore about that was that Apple was TINY then... even having to go to Bill Gates for a relatively small loan just to keep the doors open. Was it Jobs genius to consolidate down to the few or was business reality such that Apple could only afford to make relatively few products during that "nearly bankrupt" period? Who really knows? Our lenses can see history a thousand different ways too, depending on how one wants to see it.

Apple Inc in 2024 is typically either "richest company in the world" or running a close second or so at any given time. There's no path back towards a tiny few products that then maintains all that revenue to maintain or grow that standing. It's a very different Apple than it was in 1996-1997 and it needs broader product lines (and "next big things" new lines to roll out) to maintain "another record quarter" growth.

They don't make all these different iPads but then sell only the good ones. They must be selling enough of each line to justify its existence as a line. As VP of iPad Marketing, we would see this in company dollars & sense (alt spelling intentional) and continue doing whatever was likely to yield the most revenue from our division... even if that means adding MORE iPad variety in the future. 🤪 That's the JOB!

Through our consumer lens, we may wish that they would simplify down to only the best of each line of Apple products... which is probably judged best by the one we personally choose to own. However, ask the next consumer what are best offerings from each line and their answer may differ from yours. And ask the next consumer and their opinion will probably differ from the other two. Etc.

My personal favorite iPad- and the only one I choose to own- is iPad Mini. So based upon my judgement, I might think the rest of the lineup is dumb but keep making that one "best" iPad (as I see it). However, yesterday or so, I saw a thread asking how long until Apple finally kills the Mini, filled with select posts poking at it as seemingly weakest link (in that opinion). Apparently that guy feels differently than I do??? Consumers have opinions that differ from our own??? Who would think it? ;)

This VP who arbitrarily kills a line because they like it least personally may be killing a big stream of revenue important to the department. Sales for that line might not automatically shift to what is left... but may bail to Fire or other tablet options. Department sales go down and this VP is soon fired for not doing the job, which is less about picking favorites and more about maximizing revenue & profit.

Now, if we want to reframe the poll and ask what is the least desirable iPad in the lineup, this consumer would offer any of them other than Mini. However, I'm sharp enough to know the next guy(s) may feel very differently... even- as odd as it could seem- rank Mini last and thus the first one deserving to be ejected. And the next guy will likely identify another one that should be first on the block. Thus, 5 lines of iPads in 2024 apparently is the right number of lines through the business lens at Apple Inc. I'm certain they don't make any iPad models at all knowing that nobody will want them... as measured by revenue instead of any one person's opinion.
Very good analysis and the replies to this thread prove your point (and mine above when I said "Those who want to remove a device (from the line) simply have no use for it"), each would like to remove different models (or none at all), based on their personal needs and views... but in the end it's Apple that chooses what's good for them as a company and they know better than anyone here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.