Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad product line would you remove from the iPad family as a whole, if you had to pick one?

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch/13-inch

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad Pro 11-inch

Votes: 43 12.5%
  • iPad Air

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • iPad mini

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 118 34.3%

• Total voters

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The 11 Pro offers up to 2TB storage and 16GB RAM - Not even close to 256GB/8GB of the Air.
So does the MacBook Air as Apple's entry-level notebook. Same model.

The 12.9 model can comfortably cover people who want or need as much. If you really need that much storage and RAM, why wouldn't you want to get a 13" model? The great majority of 2TB-iPad buyers would in fact prefer the 12.9" - or could do just as well with the same config on an Air. I am sure there is someone in the world that would say "I require an iPad Pro. I couldn't for the life of me do with a 2TB iPad Air - and a 12.9 iPad absolutely would not fit me". I'm also quite sure there's hardly anyone would say that. In other words: the niche is too small.

Or, put differently, I would lump the 11" Pro together with the Air and the 10.9 iPad as being similar in size and look/design.

👉 That's three different lines of iPads that all have similar screen size and look/feel similar/the same to the layman.

That's a wider lineup than they have for MacBooks (only 2 lines per screen size - despite selling more units). And in addition to that, they're still officially carrying and selling the "legacy" 10.2 Lightning iPad.

The lineup is a mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Webcat86

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I think the iPad Air should just become the "default" iPad, with the iPad Mini as the cheaper, low-spec option. 🤔

So the lineup would be:

iPad Mini
iPad (formerly the Air)
iPad Pro

Reactions: AppliedMicro

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
The problems that I see with the current lineup are mostly related to the way Apple has spread the specs out among the products rather than the lineup itself being broken.

Issues:
iPad
  • Not compatible with Apple Pencil 2
    • This is annoying because if you have multiple iPads in a house you now have to have a second category of pencil just for this one model
  • Bad Smart Connector placement
    • Instead of making it compatible with the Magic Keyboard they put it on the bottom
    • This is bad because it breaks compatibility again for no real gain
    • Means that the new smart keyboard for iPad is not compatible with the Air or Pro
iPad Air
  • Missing landscape camera position (hopefully fixed in next version)
iPad Mini
  • A15 is a newer architecture generation than the M1 in the Air which is weird from a tech perspective
iPad Pro
  • Missing landscape camera position (hopefully fixed in next version)
  • 11” and 12.9” have different screens, users shouldn’t have to sacrifice screen quality by going with the 11.
Personally I would roll the iPad Mini into the Air lineup and make sure it has the same specs, with the rumoured larger Air I would have an Air Mini, Air, and Air Plus (Or just call them all Air and have 3 different screen sizes)
This is a very minor complaint though.

I think the main issues are the way that the different compatibility’s and specs I listed above make the lineup more confusing than it needs to be.

Otherwise I think all 4 models have a valuable place in the lineup and don’t harm the other models and I think they should all stick around.

Edit: Removed complaints about Pro and Air similarity, as pointed out by @Rafterman below there are enough differences that these aren’t really the same, just was letting my annoyance that the screen on the 11 wasn’t as good as the 12.9” blind me to all other other quality of life improvements you get with the 11“ Pro Vs 10.9” air.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I don't know why people keep saying the 11 Air and Pro are similar. The Pro can have up to 2TB storage and 16GB of RAM, 120hz, Thunderbolt port, Facetime, better cameras...vs the Air and 256GB/8GB, 60hz, USB-C port, TouchID. Not even close.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I don't know why people keep saying the 11 Air and Pro are similar. The Pro can have up to 2TB storage and 16GB of RAM, 120hz, Thunderbolt port, Facetime, better cameras...vs the Air and 256GB/8GB, 60hz, USB-C port, TouchID. Not even close.
That’s fair, I suppose at first glance the Air and Pro appear more similar but if you dig into it a bit the difference becomeS more obvious.

Reactions: Rafterman

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I don't know why people keep saying the 11 Air and Pro are similar. The Pro can have up to 2TB storage and 16GB of RAM, 120hz, Thunderbolt port, Facetime, better cameras...vs the Air and 256GB/8GB, 60hz, USB-C port, TouchID
I think you’re inadvertently supporting my point:

Storage and RAM are just different configuration options - that they could offer it just as well on the iPad Air. Better cameras and display refresh rate are minor spec bumps over the Air. So is Thunderbolt over 10Gbps USB-C.

The bottom line is: these devices have the same dimensions and look and feel the same - so much in fact that many laypersons would be unable to tell them apart at quick glance. And they do and work the same. There is just barely anything you can do on a Pro that you can’t just as or good or almost as good do on the Air. And if you do them, you‘ll quite likely prefer a bigger screen size any way.

FaceTime unlocking? That‘s just a different way of biometrically unlocking the device. If they put that in the Air, the rest is minor spec details That hardly anyone outside of enthusias forums cares about.

👉 The 11“ Pro and Air are of course not hundred percent the same in every detail - but they are very similar, with little practical difference between the two.

Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think you’re inadvertently supporting my point:

Storage and RAM are just different configuration options - that they could offer it just as well on the iPad Air. Better cameras and display refresh rate are minor spec bumps over the Air. So is Thunderbolt over 10Gbps USB-C.

The bottom line is: these devices have the same dimensions and look and feel the same - so much in fact that many laypersons would be unable to tell them apart at quick glance. And they do and work the same. There is just barely anything you can do on a Pro that you can’t just as or good or almost as good do on the Air. And if you do them, you‘ll quite likely prefer a bigger screen size any way.

FaceTime unlocking? That‘s just a different way of biometrically unlocking the device. If they put that in the Air, the rest is minor spec details That hardly anyone outside of enthusias forums cares about.

👉 The 11“ Pro and Air are of course not hundred percent the same in every detail - but they are very similar, with little practical difference between the two.

They're not just different configurations, the iPad Air and iPad Pro use different logic boards. This means is Air only has one pad for NAND while Pro has two. This limits max storage and has a big effect on SSD speed. The internal layout of Air and Pro are also very different to accommodate 4 speakers vs. 2 speakers.

For the layperson, this isn't obvious. But for people who know, it's clear the Air and Pro are designed for different manufacturing costs.

Everything is a "minor spec bump" until you add all of them together. Just add a few dollars here and few dollars there worth of parts. And pretty soon it's real money.

The same applies to iPad 10 and iPad Air. You have laypeople waving their fingers saying "just delete iPad Air and put those features into iPad 10." If you look inside, it's clear there's an increased manufacturing cost associated with iPad Air.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
They're not just different configurations, the iPad Air and iPad Pro use different logic boards. This means is Air only has one pad for NAND while Pro has two. This limits max storage and has a big effect on SSD speed. The internal layout of Air and Pro are also very different to accommodate 4 speakers vs. 2 speakers.

For the layperson, this isn't obvious. But for people who know, it's clear the Air and Pro are designed for different manufacturing costs.

Everything is a "minor spec bump" until you add all of them together. Just add a few dollars here and few dollars there worth of parts. And pretty soon it's real money.

The same applies to iPad 10 and iPad Air. You have laypeople waving their fingers saying "just delete iPad Air and put those features into iPad 10." If you look inside, it's clear there's an increased manufacturing cost associated with iPad Air.

True.

The base iPad Pro 9.7 and 10.5 were $599 and $649 respectively (with 12.9 starting at $799). Then the 2018 Pro 11 was released at $799. That created a big gap between the $329 iPad and $799 iPad Pro which the $499 Air 3 was meant to fill.

Sure, Apple can keep the $500-600 range empty. However, I expect that's too important a price range which they don't want to leave wide open for competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafterman

cheese1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
Combine the iPad Pro 11 inch with the iPad Air. Give it a 90 hz refresh rate that way its not promotion but still smooth enough not to be 60 hz.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
That stands to reason, since M1 is basically double the exact same cores that are in a standard A14.

Are you sure? MacTracker seems to indicate that the 4th Gen Air, 10th Gen iPad, and all iPhone 12 models all have the exact same 3.0GHz clock speed.

Right, but again, who is buying an iPad Air to do gaming and video editing and isn't up for spending the additional $150 for an 11-inch iPad Pro? The Air seems geared more for casual users than any game that requires A17 Pro or M1.

Certainly, if you buy anything that isn't a standard iPad, the 2nd Generation Pencil is the way to go. However, I'd imagine that "I want to try some drawing" would have someone using the USB-C pencil over the 2nd Generation Pencil and again, would be the kind of thing that one could do on the 10th Generation iPad (as well for how serious said user cares to). My point is that if one isn't serious about drawing, the secnd generation Pencil is not going to be chief consideration when deciding between Air or standard.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 9th Generation iPad is replaced with an iPad SE. The last time Apple kept an older iPad in the lineup alongside its obvious replacement was when the 10.5-inch iPad Pro was sold alongside the first generation 11-inch iPad Pro and the third generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro. It eventually was replaced with the return of "iPad Air". Apple doesn't mind raising prices; but my guess is that, as happened in 2018/19, Apple won't abandon the idea of the standard iPad having the pricepoints that the 10th Generation iPad currently has. Nor will it abandon the $329 price point that the 9th Generation iPad currently has. They'll probably add an iPad SE to replace it. It's messy marketing, but such is the range of 10-11-inch iPads!

I think the 10th Generation iPad would've made more sense if it replaced the 9th Generation iPad. The fact that it didn't just seems like needless price gouging in the name of a new body style and now it awkwardly encroaches on the Air, which has all the right hardware features (give or take camera placement) but an SoC that is way faster than the average person shopping for it realistically needs. All of the iPads that have moved to the current body style have been given a price bump for it. Not sure that dropping a headphone jack and replacing lightning with USB-C is worth the added price hike.

No complaints here!

Uh...we must be dealing with very different people then. Most people I know don't pay attention to Apple release dates and what's coming imminently versus what's coming way later.

I don't doubt that you're right about that. But do you have any sources to back that up?

I agree. However, it does seem somewhat likely that they'll do it. I think it's not a great idea, but they love their price points and the 10th Generation iPad didn't exactly adopt the 9th Generation's...

Ok did some digging and I am wrong, happy to hold my hands up

The iPad Air was second best selling iPad in 2022 after the 12.9” iPP, then in 2023 the iPad Air was third in sales after both IPP models according to this article. Maybe this is why they are releasing a 12.9” iPad Air as the size appears to be very popular.

Reactions: JPack

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
iPad: There always need for base iPad for people like kids, older people, education etc don't need all high end features and want it be more affordable.

iPad Mini: There is plenty enough people prefer mini because it travel friendly and small and light. Also I heard many pilot use mini for text books and map etc etc.

iPad Air: It is one of most popular iPad and it is for people don't want basic iPad and don't want pay over £/$1000 for iPad Pro. iPad Air is closer to iPad Pro than iPad with features.

iPad Pro: There people want highest range and can afford pay more etc.

So basically all is needed for now.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
They're not just different configurations, the iPad Air and iPad Pro use different logic boards. This means is Air only has one pad for NAND while Pro has two
They easily could be different (Air) configurations - that's the point.
Just as Apple is doing on the entry-level MacBook Air M2, by leaving one NAND pad empty.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Many people would prefer to save $150. For the average person, what do they see with +$150? More cameras/speakers, ProMotion, and M2. Gaming and video editing are everyday tasks. Anybody who is playing Roblox, Call of Duty, or editing a video for TikTok will benefit from M1. You don't need to be a competitive gamer or Hollywood video editor to understand this.

You're still not addressing my question: Who buys an iPad intending on doing arguably high-end tasks such as playing Call of Duty or editing a video for Tik Tok and say that the 11-inch iPad Pro is too expensive?

First off, 64GB in an iPad Air (regardless of whether it packs an M1, A14, or A15) is generally too small for any of the things you mentioned. So, now we're talking about the 256GB iPad Air which is within spitting distance of a 128GB 11-inch iPad Pro ($50 difference) and $150 shy of the 256GB 11-inch iPad Pro.

For anything higher-end, it would seem as though the 11-inch iPad Pro is the way better buy.

If you're not doing anything higher-end, nor using a 2nd Generation Apple Pencil (which is arguably better with the iPad Pro's refresh rate anyway) then what is the iPad Air markedly superior to the base iPad for?

iPad Air also benefits simply by sitting in the middle of the pack. People don't want a low-end iPad or a high-end iPad Pro. The middle tier is good for people who don't know. This is the same as the burger patty principle. They don't need M2 but also realize A14 is slow.

Who is A14 too slow for? And of those who fit the answer to that question, how is an iPad Air the right answer over an iPad Pro? (Again, figure that damn near anything high enough end will probably require more space than the 64GB iPad Air will offer.)

"Try some drawing" by default means Pencil 2. If you ask any casual artist if they want to draw without pressure sensitivity, the answer will probably be no.

We might be talking to different casual artists then. Or our definitions of casual artists differ. Incidentally, the Apple Pencil isn't exclusively of interest to artists.

Imagine using a graphite pencil or watercolor brush without sensitivity. It just doesn't work. Apple advertises USB-C Pencil as a sketching and markup tool. Apple sells Pencil 2 as a drawing tool. Even the cheapest $50 Wacom tablets have pressure sensitivity. This is a non-negotiable feature for anyone trying to draw or serious about drawing.

And again, I ask, if one is serious about drawing, how is one not using an iPad Pro instead? That refresh rate difference is not insubstantial. It's passable on something like the Air; but the Air is not for folks who are serious about drawing.

Ok did some digging and I am wrong, happy to hold my hands up

The iPad Air was second best selling iPad in 2022 after the 12.9” iPP, then in 2023 the iPad Air was third in sales after both IPP models according to this article. Maybe this is why they are releasing a 12.9” iPad Air as the size appears to be very popular.
That's wild! I'd have never thought, in a billion years, that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro was ever their best-seller.

That being said, I'm definitely in the camp of those excited by a 12.9-inch iPad Air (as someone who, from a feature standpoint, has always been fine with what the first generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro had to offer [sans the constantly-failing keyboard cover]). The 12.9-inch Pro costs a pretty penny and I definitely don't need most of what it has (other than screen size) that separates it from the iPad Air.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You're still not addressing my question: Who buys an iPad intending on doing arguably high-end tasks such as playing Call of Duty or editing a video for Tik Tok and say that the 11-inch iPad Pro is too expensive?

We differ significantly in what we each define as a "high-end" task.

Playing Call of Duty and editing a TikTok clip is something that almost every Gen Z or Alpha child, teenager, or young adult can do. This is something many do everyday and probably several times a day. We're talking tapping to add filters and dragging sliders to cut a video, not running Adobe Lightroom.

First off, 64GB in an iPad Air (regardless of whether it packs an M1, A14, or A15) is generally too small for any of the things you mentioned. So, now we're talking about the 256GB iPad Air which is within spitting distance of a 128GB 11-inch iPad Pro ($50 difference) and $150 shy of the 256GB 11-inch iPad Pro.

For anything higher-end, it would seem as though the 11-inch iPad Pro is the way better buy.

If you're not doing anything higher-end, nor using a 2nd Generation Apple Pencil (which is arguably better with the iPad Pro's refresh rate anyway) then what is the iPad Air markedly superior to the base iPad for?

It really isn't from my observation of young adults using iPad Air. We're talking entertainment use for iPad Air, not productivity. Call of Duty is 3GB. TikTok is a few GB. Not everyone saves their stuff locally. Once uploaded to TikTok, it's not needed locally.

I think you're missing the majority of users in the middle. Also assuming that anything gaming related or editing a video is "high end" when anybody including grandmas do it these days.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Who is A14 too slow for? And of those who fit the answer to that question, how is an iPad Air the right answer over an iPad Pro? (Again, figure that damn near anything high enough end will probably require more space than the 64GB iPad Air will offer.)

We might be talking to different casual artists then. Or our definitions of casual artists differ. Incidentally, the Apple Pencil isn't exclusively of interest to artists.

And again, I ask, if one is serious about drawing, how is one not using an iPad Pro instead? That refresh rate difference is not insubstantial. It's passable on something like the Air; but the Air is not for folks who are serious about drawing.

A14 is slow as in, "I heard from friends and read on the Internet that M1 is super fast. I dunno how much faster it is than A-whatever, but this M-chip sounds fast. I want to try." Many consumers, when they buy something and aren't sure what they need, will buy the middle option. Do you want small, medium, or large Coke? Do you want an iPad, iPad Air, or iPad Pro? What's the safest choice?

If someone is serious about drawing, need to draw fast (for work), and can afford iPad Pro, they'll go for the Pro. The iPad Air is for media consumption and light content creation. Many buyers fall into that category.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Stage Manager and external display support.
Though that‘s about it.
but the Air is not for folks who are serious about drawing.
It’s good enough.
That's wild! I'd have never thought, in a billion years, that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro was ever their best-seller.
…and I still don’t believe them. I straight up doubt these figures.

Not sure how they sampled and gathered data, arrived at these figures (since Apple does not publicly break down their unit sales). But I seriously doubt they’re representative for the overall iPad market.

The high-end models leading sales is plausible shortly after release - but not in June 2022 & 2023, when the iPad Pro refresh was only in October of 2022.

PS: As another data point, you can google for another analyst firm pegging Apple's entry-level iPad as the most best-selling tablet worldwide for the first quarter of 2022. Followed by the iPad mini.

👉 The numbers don't quite add up (as being plausible)

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I could see the baseline iPad 12.9 ($1,099) leading in sales over the cheapest possible regular iPad ($450) and all the models in between. Not a huge price difference in price for an Apple product. The screen is a huge attraction.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
CIRP data represents polling from U.S. customers only. Globally, this is likely very different. It also changes significantly depending on time. Below is their Dec. 2023 data.

dba1e1c7-365e-43f3-83d2-8bcc65fa027a_1127x827.png

But the general trend in the U.S. seems to be the same across most periods: iPad Pro 11, 12.9, and iPad Air are the top sellers. iPad mini is always last. This is consistent with the length of Apple's refresh cycles (effort) towards those products.

In other words, if you clicked iPad Pro or iPad Air in this thread's poll, you were wrong.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
CIRP data represents polling from U.S. customers only. Globally, this is likely very different. It also changes significantly depending on time. Below is their Dec. 2023 data.

View attachment 2371316

But the general trend in the U.S. seems to be the same across most periods: iPad Pro 11, 12.9, and iPad Air are the top sellers. iPad mini is always last. This is consistent with the length of Apple's refresh cycles (effort) towards those products.

In other words, if you clicked iPad Pro or iPad Air in this thread's poll, you were wrong.

I suspected the Air was a top (or close to the top) seller - nice specs, but decent price - the middle between iPad and iPad Pro.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
We differ significantly in what we each define as a "high-end" task.

Playing Call of Duty and editing a TikTok clip is something that almost every Gen Z or Alpha child, teenager, or young adult can do. This is something many do everyday and probably several times a day.

To be fair, I do totally lump this into "high-end" tasks because it's a gamer function and why wouldn't you want as good of an iPad to do gaming?. Then again, gaming is still consumption and it's not like you need any of the iPad Pro features to be able to enjoy these kinds of games on an M-series iPad. I do wonder how many titles on iPadOS will be that much better on M1 than on A14 (considering it's the same family/generation of cores for both). Most reviews of the 5th Generation iPad Air that I read didn't say that 4th Generation iPad Air owners would feel any kind of need to rush out and upgrade. the 4th Generation iPad Air and the 10th Generation iPad are ALMOST the same iPad under the hood.

We're talking tapping to add filters and dragging sliders to cut a video, not running Adobe Lightroom.

That one could be subjective in and of itself, but I get the point you were trying to make here. :p

And admittedly, I do discount those folks too.

It really isn't from my observation of young adults using iPad Air. We're talking entertainment use for iPad Air, not productivity. Call of Duty is 3GB. TikTok is a few GB. Not everyone saves their stuff locally. Once uploaded to TikTok, it's not needed locally.

It's needed locally until the upload finishes, which would still entail requiring however much space your video took until it was fully uploaded and then . And sure Call of Duty Mobile maybe 3GB, but most other big mobile titles are way larger. Hearthstone would consume one sixth the storage capacity of a 64GB iPad; Diablo Immortal takes up even more.

I think that if the iPad Air was one sole model at 256GB, most of your points would make perfect sense. For a 64GB 5th Generation iPad Air, I don't see the point. To be fair, the original exercise was from Apple's marketing perspective; not necessarily what makes the most sense to buy as a consumer.

I think you're missing the majority of users in the middle. Also assuming that anything gaming related or editing a video is "high end" when anybody including grandmas do it these days.

Oh sure. I get that. And I don't think you're wrong at all here, for what it's worth. Again, (a) I wonder just how big the A14 vs. M1 difference really is at any kind of a practical level on an iPad Air and (b) how pointless a 64GB iPad Air is to anyone buying one intentionally over a base iPad. To your point, it doesn't matter per the exercise; Apple is marketing it correctly and folks are still buying it.

A14 is slow as in, "I heard from friends and read on the Internet that M1 is super fast. I dunno how much faster it is than A-whatever, but this M-chip sounds fast. I want to try."

See, I'm not sure that folks are that conscious of the spec differences (which, when you get down to it, don't make a whole lot of sense). I think folks knowing that they don't want a mini and don't want a 12.9-inch Pro, have more or less a low, mid, and high-end option, like you say. From that standpoint, Air makes sense. I think if folks look at specs and start thinking about it that way, the Air makes less sense. I'd imagine that Apple is almost counting on it. Then again, I really don't know why they gave the iPad Air the M1 in the first place.

Many consumers, when they buy something and aren't sure what they need, will buy the middle option. Do you want small, medium, or large Coke? Do you want an iPad, iPad Air, or iPad Pro? What's the safest choice?

(Addressed above)

If someone is serious about drawing, need to draw fast (for work), and can afford iPad Pro, they'll go for the Pro.

That's kind of why I think 2nd Generation Apple Pencil support isn't as important of an iPad Air feature as it would be an iPad Pro feature. I'm not saying I'm complaining that the Air has it (or the 6th Generation mini for that matter). Just that it doesn't seem like it's as important. I've had friends borrow my 4th Generation iPad Air and then get an 11-inch iPad Pro of their own because the difference between using a 2nd Generation Apple Pencil on the Air vs. the 11-inch Pro was that substantial.

The iPad Air is for media consumption and light content creation. Many buyers fall into that category.

I get that. But if we're PURELY talking about media consumption and light content creation, the standard iPad isn't so much worse than the iPad Air. It probably isn't even all that different for most of the people that fall into that category. b

Stage Manager and external display support.
Though that‘s about it.

And the real kicker there is that I'm not even sure that either feature is worth it to anyone other than the most intensive of iPad Pro users. Again, the Air's only viable storage capacity for heavy work is 256GB.

It’s good enough.

Again, "good enough" is relative. The lower-end Apple Pencils are theoretically "good enough" relative to the level of seriousness that one would be using the iPad Air for.

I sort of buy it. The standard iPad is positioned as lower-end and to the point where all but the most casual users will lean toward something higher end. The mini is, for reasons I don't fully understand, niche. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro really is prohibitively expensive for all but the wealthy and/or those who obviously need it. I think it might be a case of Apple having done a good job of marketing an iPad that, relative to others in the line, doesn't offer the best bang for buck, despite still being a very good iPad.

Not sure how they sampled and gathered data, arrived at these figures (since Apple does not publicly break down their unit sales). But I seriously doubt they’re representative for the overall iPad market.

I'd be curious. I did buy the 6th Generation iPad mini listed in my signature within that range. I wonder whether or not that got lumped in with that 8% figure.

The high-end models leading sales is plausible shortly after release - but not in June 2022 & 2023, when the iPad Pro refresh was only in October of 2022.

Some folks don't buy the second a new model comes out. Most casual buyers don't keep their ears to the ground about new releases either. Personally, I DO keep my ears to the ground about new releases and I STILL don't like buying before reviews come out and folks have had a chance to identify key issues.

PS: As another data point, you can google for another analyst firm pegging Apple's entry-level iPad as the most best-selling tablet worldwide for the first quarter of 2022. Followed by the iPad mini.

View attachment 2371316

I think there being two standard iPad models sort of muddles this a bunch. But, otherwise, sure. That checks out, for the most part.

Kind of depends on what you base your vote in that poll on. If you're playing from the whole "keep your best seller in the line" angle, then removing the iPad Air is absolutely the wrong choice. I think you've slowly helped me realize that throughout the course of this thread.

However, if you're trying to optimize for bang-for-buck or even to promote further upsale to the iPad Pros, then the Air would make sense. You could definitely come up with reasons to nix the 11-inch iPad Pro in lieu of the Air (or rebrand one with the other one's name).

Part of what I like about this topic is that it's subjective. I feel like I could come up with good reasons for nixing any of them as well as reasons why not to.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It had to be something in the ~11 space, since the others don’t create confusion. If you want a smaller or larger screen, they are the options. Simple.

I can see a rationale for continuing to sell the current Air as just the iPad (minimal outlay to produce them without Air on the back rather than $ spent developing a new product to still be a little worse than it) but ultimately went for the Pro 11 as it seems like a line within a line. You think it’s a choice based on screen size alone as an average consumer, but if you pick the smaller one you get a product that is objectively a little worse.

The line’s a little crowded but if the 11 Pro and rumoured ~13 Air were otherwise identical to their counterparts, it’s simple and consumer friendly. The RAM difference was the worst, simply because it isn’t in the description. The current screen tech discrepancy isn’t hidden in the same way, as you know if you understand what the listed specs mean. And even today, you could buy 512GB without realising you were getting less RAM than if you’d bought 1TB, iirc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.