Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad product line would you remove from the iPad family as a whole, if you had to pick one?

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch/13-inch

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad Pro 11-inch

Votes: 43 12.5%
  • iPad Air

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • iPad mini

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 118 34.3%

• Total voters

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
Keep all the iPads, get rid of all the people who think their opinion is the only correct one.
Why not add a dozen more kinds then? After all, there are probably more opinions than there are iPads right now.

First of all, you need the standard, Max, mini, and ultra versions of every model, the regular, iPad, and pro (ultra models are more rugged like the AW ultra)

That's 12 models right there. But there's way more people in the world than that.

So let's get crazy!

iPad SE (no bells and whistles)
iPad Secure (extra security features, like built in camera covers)
iPad Press (has a row of physical buttons you can program)
iPad Shoot (more advanced cameras)
iPad iPad (screens on both sides)
iPad Edition (made of gold, costs $50,000)
iPad Nano (iPod Touch reboot)
iPad Jr (made of rubber and plastic)
iPad Flex (folds in half)
iPad Draw (screen designed to feel like paper)
iPad Key (2-inch screen for keychain)
iPad Eco (made of more recyclable materials)
ePad (education model)
iPad Cube (a cube with an iPad on each face)
iPad Mac (iPad that runs Mac OS)
iPad Jumbo (32in touchscreen)
iPad Stand (built in $999 stand)
iPad Clear (transparent case)
iPad Roll (spherical)
iPad Chef (water, heat, resistant, and cutting board on the back)
iPad Shuffle (one button that launches random app)
iPad Pure (No app store, built in apps only)
iPad Ad (screen shows ads when not in use)
iPad One (choose 1 app when you set it up and that's all it does forever)
iPad Web (only runs Safari)
iPad Pay (built in card reader)
iPad Gamer (includes x86 emulator)
iPad Bloat (finally includes bloatware)
iPad Sub (iPad you pay monthly for, forever)
iPad Kyle (just for people named Kyle)

At some point everyone would agree it's too many. It's just for some of us, that number 2.

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Being the 'essentialist' that I am, I miss the simpler lineup.

In fact, I miss the gen 1 lineup. 'This is iPad, this is what it does'. But of course there are different use cases... so maybe I would go with:

the 'pro' line:
13" iPad - this is the creator's digital canvas - optimize it to be such
11" iPad - digital canvas with more portability
7" iPad - lightweight digital canvas with max portability

the 'econo' line:
13" iPad
11" iPad
7" iPad

differentiator between two lineups driven mostly by providing lower purchase cost for people that don't need 'a creator's digital canvas'.

Storage options should be limited to what is deemed optimal for the intended audience, but they should all have internal expandable storage (there is room for it, and iPads are not made waterproof, so that isn't an excuse either)

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
The name "iPad Air" never, at any point in its existence nor on any of the models that shipped with that name associated to it, made any sense.
I agree with this. Most models have since evolved to be relatively light and thin. Even the standard version. "Air" now seems to imply everything else is heavy or bulky. Probably a name change would be in order.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The name "iPad Air" never, at any point in its existence nor on any of the models that shipped with that name associated to it, made any sense.
We're in the 21st century. Are we still annoyed that Apple's choice of marketing differentiators lacks any substance? 😂

If my memory services me correct, when the iPad Air (7.5 mm) was released, it was thinner than the iPad 4 (9.4 mm) that it replaced.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I voted Air. I prefer the ipad and pro naming as i think its simpler for general consumers.’

I mean why do they do that with iphone but not rest of line up?

I think air name should be drooped across rest of products

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I still have no idea what the iPad Air is supposed to be or do that the iPad isn't or doesn't.

If you have three versions of the iPad, and there's a budget one and a powerful one, then the third one should run Mac OS and be called the Pro model, for professional use. eh, nothing means anything anymore, whatever. just make more of every iPad you've ever made and flood the market with all of them and name them completely at random. If that's too sensible, start putting some suffixes on, like "S", "Max", "+", and "360"

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
iPad Kyle (just for people named Kyle)
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 9.30.59 PM.png

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Differentiate them.

iPad Pros run MacOS apps with M-series SoCs. Three sizes mini to 13” The purpose of these should be MacBook replacements or in addition to for those who can afford both.

iPad Airs run A17Pro type chips with same sizes as iPad Pros but have 60Hz displays. Lower quality keyboard and pencil designs.

iPad has one size 10”-11” and runs older versions of A-series SoC with WiFi only at $349. Big iPhone - no Magic Keyboard or pencil support. Just for consumption at an inexpensive price.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Putting the Mini to one side we have three ranges:
iPad- bad
Air- quite good
Pro- very good

Apple are a premium product company. I'm not sure how anyone could argue the base model iPad is vaguely premium tech. Ignoring software, it's very very poor.

Ditch the iPad. Sell the iPad Air at iPad prices- and double/quadruple the base SSD. Apple are taking the chronic piss with these devices in 2024.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
None, they all have their place in my opinion. Many people have voted for the Air as they don't understand its place in the line up, yet it most likely sells the most units along with the reg iPad. The Air is the best ipad for the masses.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
iPad- bad
Air- quite good
Pro- very good

Apple are a premium product company. I'm not sure how anyone could argue the base model iPad is vaguely premium tech. Ignoring software, it's very very poor.

Ditch the iPad. Sell the iPad Air at iPad prices- and double/quadruple the base SSD. Apple are taking the chronic piss with these devices in 2024.
There is a bias on this site against anything that isn’t premium or high end. The standard iPad works well for a lot of average people and their needs.

The iPad 10 is essentially now the entry level given the 9 will soon be gone. Yet both 9 and 10 are good entry level tablets.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
There is a bias on this site against anything that isn’t premium or high end. The standard iPad works well for a lot of average people and their needs.

The iPad 10 is essentially now the entry level given the 9 will soon be gone. Yet both 9 and 10 are good entry level tablets.
We'll have to agree to disagree. A lot of corners are cut in today's base iPad, that weren't cut back in the days of the iPad 3 and 4, for example. It's mostly equal to the tech you'd find in a $100 Chinese tablet in 2024. Of course we like it because we like the software better.

Last edited:
  • Sad

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
The air doesn’t make sense. It never made sense after it was no longer the top iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iPad- bad
Air- quite good
Pro- very good

I COULD make the case that the base iPad IS premium tech (whatever that means), but there's no benefit to doing that.

In an odd sense, if Apple ditches the base iPad, that makes my next purchasing decision a whole lot easier. It just removes iPads from the list. There is nothing that the higher models do that makes it worth the added cost (that is compounded by obscenely expensive peripherals).

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
iPad- bad
Air- quite good
Pro- very good

I beg to differ. The standard iPad is an outstanding tablet with resolution, features, and functions more than most would ever need. I've owned more expensive iPads and never found justification for the huge added expense and markup. I also prefer the non-laminated display of the standard. To me, most of the so-called higher end models is really a clever marketing technique that contributes to Apple's huge wealth and market cap.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I'm not saying it's junk, just that Apple are sticking their cheap parts from 5 years ago in it, rather than keeping it up to date. Going back a decade, iPads used to get more powerful chips than the iPhone of the year. Meanwhile, Chinese tablets have plummeted in price (as components also have), but come on leaps and bounds in quality. Has the iPad screen improved in the last 12 years? It's not even laminated now... it was before, right?

• Sad

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I would eliminate the iPad Air, for the simple reason it serves no value other than as a ‘filler’ product for that price bracket. Even the name today is stupid.

Certain iPads do make sense. The entry-level model is important for markets such as education, parents who want a basic device that can be bashed around by children, POS devices, prototyping etc. And the iPad Mini, although targeting a smaller market, is a great size for ultimate portability and creative input (though the price is beyond stupid).

I’m not sure that the iPad Pro 9 inch makes sense, given that the differentiators between it and the Air are so insignificant now. The iPad Pro 12 inch should really have that title of being the most up-to-date tech.

And though not yet released, the purported ‘larger’ iPad Air is a great idea, I just have a hard time imagining how it would be marketed in an ideal situation given that, on paper, its ’Air’ brand is at odds with the more advanced iPad Pro 9.7 inch.

owilderman

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
Get rid of iPad 9 and reduce the price of iPad 10 to 349 or at least something lower than the ridiculous 449 it is now
That’s what I was gonna say. The iPad 9 would be even better as a used device on the refurb store to make the barrier of entry to the iPad world even lower. The iPad 9 is a steal now, imagine how much for a steal it would be at $80-100 cheaper. Otherwise the iPad lineup is really streamlined and depending on whether or not you view it as a bad thing or a good thing, Apple’s pricing ladder makes it very logical to take that extra step up to the next tier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.