Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone is a better buy RIGHT NOW?

• iPhone 12 mini

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • iPhone 11

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • iPhone XR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • iPhone SE (2020)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

Thehenryfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Hello everyone! I’m using an iPhone 6s (I’m an oldie) and i was wondering which iPhone is best to upgrade to RIGHT NOW as my phone is finally showing it’s age? Thanks in advance!

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
If you're looking for a smaller/cheaper phone, the 12 Mini will give you the most features and the longest support. If you want a premium phone, the 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max would be my choice.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Thehenryfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Hello everyone! I’m using an iPhone 6s (I’m an oldie) and i was wondering which iPhone is best to upgrade to RIGHT NOW as my phone is finally showing it’s age? Thanks in advance!
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had a 64GB variant, changed its battery twice, used it though college and I’m surprised it has very few nicks and scratches. But now it seems to be giving out from time to time.
I don’t mind getting an SE but it seems like maybe it’s time to adapt to the new norm of swipes and notches.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had a 64GB variant, changed its battery twice, used it though college and I’m surprised it has very few nicks and scratches. But now it seems to be giving out from time to time.
I don’t mind getting an SE but it seems like maybe it’s time to adapt to the new norm of swipes and notches.

If that’s your only worry the swipes are easier and considering we are moving past the Covid pandemic Face ID probably will be more widely used in the United States at least. I prefer Face ID AMD oled screens. If the iPhone didn’t have an oled screen I probably would just use Android ngl.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
All current offerings from the 12 series are very nice. My wife loves the mini, I like the Pro Max. Just get the screen you enjoy the most, the rest will follow.

Reactions: Thehenryfr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I assume your budget maxes out at the 12 mini. If you can push it further, the regular 12 would be the ideal phone to get.

Do you like the battery life of your 6s? If you’re okay with it, the SE 2020 would be a great update. If you want the new design and don’t mind the price, then the 12 mini will be good.

If you want great battery life, and you’re still on a budget, get the iPhone 11.

Reactions: Thehenryfr

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
I don’t upgrade annually, went from 6s to 10s (and swear by s models per my username), but just got $700 credit from Verizon and pulled the trigger on a 12 Pro. Depending on your situation, a regular 12 would be almost free or a Pro/Max would be an incremental cost increase. The mini could be completely free in that scenario. Just depends on what you want and need.

Edit to add my wife’s 10r got the same credit as my 10s. I don’t know what your 6s would be worth in this promotion however.

Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Many of the new features in iOS 15 will not work on anything older than the Xs. If you like the size of the 6s, the 12 Mini looks to be the ticket. A number of my friends who prefer the small phone really like it.

I have the 11 Pro and am quite happy with it — the 12 didn’t have anything I wanted. I, however, am not you. The 11 looks like all or nearly all of iOS 15 will be compatible.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just wait for the new iPhone 13. Only because 120HZ. It will be a game changer
Is that across the lineup or only on the pro?

No notch or an alternative to PWM might be a game changer. 120 Hz is just nice to have.

OP,

I like the look and feel of the 12 Mini, not to mention the awesome color choices, but the SE screen is easier on the eyes. Take a look at both side by side in store if possible. It makes the decision a lot easier.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
If you need a phone right now you can get any of the iPhones from 12 series. If you can afford to wait, new iPhones will be launched in September. Might have some new features. At the same time, the 12 series may get a price drop.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
If you’ve never used an OLED screen before may I recommend asking a friend or a family member to look at theirs for a bit in a dark room, if you get headaches and eye problems avoid the 12 series and stick with the 11. If not then the 12 would be the better option for longevity.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Agreed with others here. If you can hold out for 3 months then I would. Unless you get a great trade in offer like @EssModelsRule - then it’s worth upgrading now (financially). If not, then I would wait for sure. The normal 12 will probably be kept around at a cheaper price or you’ll be able to pick it up reduced or you might decide to opt for the 13 instead. Either way - if you can wait 90ish to 120ish days then I would!

Reactions: EssModelsRule

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2017
Agreed with others here. If you can hold out for 3 months then I would. Unless you get a great trade in offer like @EssModelsRule - then it’s worth upgrading now (financially). If not, then I would wait for sure. The normal 12 will probably be kept around at a cheaper price or you’ll be able to pick it up reduced or you might decide to opt for the 13 instead. Either way - if you can wait 90ish to 120ish days then I would!
I always say “wait”, do as I say, not as I do! The trade in deal was too sweet for me to pass up but I will have some envy in ~ 3 months.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I always say “wait”, do as I say, not as I do! The trade in deal was too sweet for me to pass up but I will have some envy in ~ 3 months.
Haha - well that 12 Pro should last you quite a while! It was great financial sense to swap. Tbf if there was a similar offer here in the U.K. I’d have done the same - except for the fact that the glass back on my XS is shattered ?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
An 11 Pro Max refurbished by Apple. The 256 GB model is $170 off. It includes a brand-new battery and, unlike the 12, a charger and earbuds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.