Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone is a better buy RIGHT NOW?

• iPhone 12 mini

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • iPhone 11

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • iPhone XR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • iPhone SE (2020)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'd be fine if they didn't include the earbuds. Not a fan of earbuds in general. The OEM charger is more important.

Naaa, got enough of the cheapo OEM chargers from the last devices, really don’t require additional stock.

Thehenryfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2021
Hello everyone! In my previous post I mentioned that I’m using an iPhone 6s and just this morning it finally died. I took it to repair but I was told that I'm better off getting a new phone that spend hundreds more on repairing it at this rate.
Hopefully by the end of the day, I should have a new choice of what iPhone I should upgrade to. My budget can go as high as 900$ USD and I've narrowed it down to these devices:
- iPhone XR
-iPhone 11
- iPhone 12 mini

And some wildcards:
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone SE (2020)

There are lots of good options but I would appreciate it if y'all can help me choose which one is the best iPhone to get AT THIS MOMENT (Literally.) as I can't decide which phone is worth upgrading to.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Am I part of a minority that thinks Apple keeping around the iPhone 6-8 style/form factor is outrageous for the SE? It just feels so dated. Any chance the XR is updated with a new chip and replacing the SE, making the new line-up:

iPhone XR 2021 - £399
iPhone 11 - £499
iPhone 12 Mini - £599 (this size becomes the new SE size offering)
iPhone 13 Mini/Normal - £699/£799
iPhone 13 Pro/Max - £999/£1099

Of course I'm making this all up but seems reasonable, no?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
The iPhone 12 Mini is my second-favorite iPhone ever.

Glad I waited it out for a proper replacement for my 2016 iPhone SE, and I'm extraordinarily bummed every time I read a rumor that it's potentially a one-and-done product.

Reactions: !!!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Hello everyone! In my previous post I mentioned that I’m using an iPhone 6s and just this morning it finally died. I took it to repair but I was told that I'm better off getting a new phone that spend hundreds more on repairing it at this rate.
Hopefully by the end of the day, I should have a new choice of what iPhone I should upgrade to. My budget can go as high as 900$ USD and I've narrowed it down to these devices:
- iPhone XR
-iPhone 11
- iPhone 12 mini

And some wildcards:
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone SE (2020)

There are lots of good options but I would appreciate it if y'all can help me choose which one is the best iPhone to get AT THIS MOMENT (Literally.) as I can't decide which phone is worth upgrading to.
If battery life is important, then I would vote for the 11 or 11 pro. iPhone 12 would be more ideal as the A14 is obviously the most future proof if you’re holding onto it long term.

if you like the size of your current 6, then you’ll love the 12 mini.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is almost an impossible question to ask. You have people in this thread who value the camera the most, who value a particular size and weight the most, who value OLED or LCD the most, who value battery life the most, who base decisions on price the most, etc.

It’s fun to ask and watch a poll and all, but at the end of the day, only you know what fits your needs the best.

Reactions: !!! and ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Let us know what you end up with.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I would say the 11 represents the best overall value at the moment if you don't care about having the latest bleeding edge tech. 12 mini is probably second best in terms of value. SE is a pretty dated design at this point, and Apple is optimizing the iOS experience for FaceID phones so I would not get that one. XR is good, but a bit old now, so for buying new you will likely be better off getting a newer model since you seem to be someone who keeps their phone for a while.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
- iPhone XR
-iPhone 11
- iPhone 12 mini

And some wildcards:
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone SE (2020)

If you still can get the 11 Pro, that’s almost a perfect upgrade. It has great battery life, OLED screen, telephoto lens, and still in a compact size (unlike the iPhone 12). From your list, to me that’s the best pick.

If you want to save some money, get the 11. It is quite the opposite of the 11 pro (larger size, LCD screen, no telephoto), but it has arguably the best battery life out of all the phones in your list.

The rest are not too good of a choice. Only get the XR if you are really tight on budget. Only get the 12 mini if you really must have a small phone, smaller than the 11 Pro. Only get the SE if you must have Touch ID. Other than those reasons, these phones imo are poor choices for the money compared to the 11 and 11 Pro.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I don’t upgrade annually, went from 6s to 10s (and swear by s models per my username), but just got $700 credit from Verizon and pulled the trigger on a 12 Pro. Depending on your situation, a regular 12 would be almost free or a Pro/Max would be an incremental cost increase. The mini could be completely free in that scenario. Just depends on what you want and need.

Edit to add my wife’s 10r got the same credit as my 10s. I don’t know what your 6s would be worth in this promotion however.

There is no such thing as an iPhone «10s». I assume you mean iPhone XS. The XS offers no value over the X, from my experience.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
There is no such thing as an iPhone «10s». I assume you mean iPhone XS. The XS offers no value over the X, from my experience.
This just feels like such a weird comment... Trying to pick out a fault where obviously you knew what they meant. And if you hear any Apple employee (execs) refer to the X, XS, and XR - they all say '10, 10S, and 10R'.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Naaa, got enough of the cheapo OEM chargers from the last devices, really don’t require additional stock.
Well the one with the 11 Pro and Pro Max were not cheapo OEM, but rather the USB-C ones. Wish they kept including those

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello everyone! I’m using an iPhone 6s (I’m an oldie) and i was wondering which iPhone is best to upgrade to RIGHT NOW as my phone is finally showing it’s age? Thanks in advance!
Out of the options you have put in the poll, iPhone 11 will give you the best bang for buck in terms of Battery Life, usability and performance.

If you are looking at iPhone 12 I would avoid the Mini and rather get the normal iPhone 12 or 12 Pro.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hello everyone! I’m using an iPhone 6s (I’m an oldie) and i was wondering which iPhone is best to upgrade to RIGHT NOW as my phone is finally showing it’s age? Thanks in advance!
Do you use your phone a lot? Do you might possibly having to change it once during the day (if you are a heavy user)? Do you like the small phone form factor and don't need the camera ability of the luggage phone?

If you aren't a heavy user and can charge if need be, the mini is a great phone for the price and features. I think it is better than the SE 2020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.